As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerd rage and other stories about douchebaggery

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why do you people insist on posting things I can't un-see?

Also, how the fuck did that, of all things, get past the usual work image filter?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Forar wrote: »

Also, how the fuck did that, of all things, get past the usual work image filter?

Google kindom hearts furry sex and have fun, and maybe your sysadmin likes kingdom hearts larping.

psychotix on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Out of all the terrible things the internet has brought, you're ticked off at some people wearing costumes based off a silly video game?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Out of all the terrible things the internet has brought, you're ticked off at some people wearing costumes based off a silly video game?

"loltext" and all, but if you think for a moment I did anything but laugh you'd be sorely, sadly mistaken.

The "wtf?" is more based on the fact that my work filter blocks like 90% of the images linked in any of these forums. To have ANYTHING (let alone that) show up is... odd.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My nerdiest possession is actually a full sized Kingdom Hearts keyblade just like the one on the right in that picture. I got it from a friend one year, and my wife loves it (she's not that into games, but loves Disney and Kingdom Hearts).

It's pretty heavy actually - could make a good home defense weapon :P

Ganluan on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That would be an embarressing burglary story.

"What are you in for?"
    "I broke into a guy's house"
    "Oh yeah, how'd they catch you?"
    "The owner found me and beat me unconsious with a giant key"

Sipex on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i was in a gaming store a couple years back

and there was some dudes at a table playing magic

the one dude loses his fucking cool over something or another, and tries to flip the table in anger

only, the way he was standing relative to the table somehow made it so that when he turned it on its side, the table legs tripped him and he fell flat on his ass

meanwhile his opponent sat there, looking flabbergasted

sorta takes a lot of the violent rage out of your furious table-turning when you fall on your ass like a stooge

Pony on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    My nerdiest possession is actually a full sized Kingdom Hearts keyblade just like the one on the right in that picture. I got it from a friend one year, and my wife loves it (she's not that into games, but loves Disney and Kingdom Hearts).

Oh that would be a fantastic news story.

"Man defends family with replica video game weapon. Giant Key"

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is where someone should put the Nerd Hierarchy Flowchart. I'd do so, but most of them seem to be blocked here at work.

My favourite is the one that has like 6 parallel paths, all of increasing nerdity, and then everyone is above Furries.

Or was it Furry LARPers who write Fanfic?

Something like that. It's on the first page of Google Image Search.

The bottom-most entry in the chart is labeled: "People who write erotic versions of Star Trek where all the characters are furries, like Kirk and an ocelot or something, and they put a furry version of themselves as the star of the story."

These people are located just above Furries on the chart, but the arrow between the groups are double-sided, indicating that Furries and replica-sword owners both consider themselves less nerdy than the other. It's funny because it's true.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited October 2009
    Sipex wrote: »

"What are you in for?"

hey man

just last month some burglar in the united states died because some weeaboo laid into him with a katana that he kept on his dresser

Pony on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm too self-conscious to nerdrage where other people might see me. I will nerdrage in private though.

Yougottawanna on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »

"What are you in for?"

hey man

just last month some burglar in the united states died because some weeaboo laid into him with a katana that he kept on his dresser

If I remember correctly that burglar got his hand lopped off

Al_wat on
    edited October 2009

"What are you in for?"

hey man

That was in baltimore, and I did find it funny.

psychotix on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    Background fluff for DnD can be downright awful sometimes. I was in a campaign where one player had pages of background info on their char, and it read like bad BESM fanfic. It also didn't help that the person in question was an alpha-level weeaboo, couldn't rp to save her life, and would come to game wearing her Kingdom Hearts LARP gear.

I read that as Klingon Hearts LARP gear the first time and wondered what the fuck constitutes Klingon Hearts gear.

I read it right the first time and I'm still confused as to what it means.

It means this

209818365_59f7e083ab.jpg

Judging by the context I'm fairly certain they're cosplaying at a convention, not LARPing. And, as Sora cosplayers go, the kid on the right is pretty good.

Kingdom Hearts LARP sounds moderately bizarre to me, though. I mean, is there a KH RPG of some sort to base it on? Those games rely pretty heavily on a) Disney characters and b) swarms of easily-defeated badguys. I do not and would not LARP but I can see the general attraction. LARPing as Donald Duck or one-hit grunt badguy #374, however, just seems weird to me.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

"What are you in for?"

hey man

If I remember correctly that burglar got his hand lopped off

I think he died soon after.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2009
    the most i have ever personally nerd raged at something that wasn't a person

was snapping the fuck out over armored core

i think it was armored core 2? not sure which one

but i died for like the tenth fucking time on this one level and i let out a big ole "NNNRAAAAAAGH!" and squeezed my dual shock and it literally broke in half

it is not the first time i have broken a controller out of nerd rage

but it is the only time i have done it without chucking the thing or banging it on something

i just snapped it in my hands

Pony on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well if i had a sword and there was a strange man in my home i too would take his hand as a trophy to compliment my gundam models

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2009
    you ever get to that point where you get so fucked over by the game that you begin to feel like the game is actually cheating?

like you are playing a game where, ostensibly, the NPC is operating under the same rules as you but then they just do bullshit and you are like OH FUCK OFF

if they were a human player you'd accuse them of hacking

but instead you are wondering if like

that's actually a part of the game

that the game fucking cheats

Pony on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you ever get to that point where you get so fucked over by the game that you begin to feel like the game is actually cheating?

like you are playing a game where, ostensibly, the NPC is operating under the same rules as you but then they just do bullshit and you are like OH FUCK OFF

This is in fact part of many games.

Incenjucar on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In racing games, constantly when I was younger. SO MUCH RAGE. Now I take advantage of cheap AI by hanging out in 2nd place.

Donkey Kong on
    edited October 2009

HENCE MARIO PARTY

Sipex on
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party was at its worst with human players though. That shit ended friendships. My palms will never be the same either.

Donkey Kong on
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party was at its worst with human players though. That shit ended friendships. My palms will never be the same either.

Explain.....

psychotix on
  • RippedMermaidRippedMermaid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I once got a voice message from a 10 year old kid because I killed him in CoD WaW with a grenade thrown for shits and giggles. He insinuated that I did things to horses. Which I don't. Generally it seems that on Xbox Live (to me at least) the people who rage the most are them younger folks. Then again, I could be terribly wrong.

RippedMermaid on
    RippedMermaid.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    On the other hand, fuck that shit.
    edited October 2009
    i remember

in perfect dark, you could populate your games with Sims (bots)

and they had different traits and difficulty levels

in the description of DarkSim (the hardest of all) it was like "If you think DarkSim is cheating, he is."

so refreshing

for a game to outright admit that

Pony on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I dunno, mario party has harboured some sour feelings but usually in the end if it's all human players everyone is just glad the game is over.

Sipex on
    edited October 2009
    seriously the higher level NPCs in the Arenas in Armored Core games are bullshit cheater bastards

Pony on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    seriously the higher level NPCs in the Arenas in Armored Core games are bullshit cheater bastards

YES THEY ARE

UNLIMITED AMMO?
    SUPER ARMOR?
    WEAPONS THAT THAT CORE CAN'T EQUIP?

Arch on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Explain.....

Sometimes you needed a star, and it is your opponents fault for not having multiple flashlights.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2009

Explain.....

Sometimes your opponent is about to come to a star purchase square but he'll only have enough money if he does alright on the next game.

But the next game gets decided and it's a team game. AND YOU ARE ON HIS TEAM.

Donkey Kong on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For more nerd rage: I also used to regularly play and run White Wolf LARPs........
    That's a helluva story, for sure. LARPing attracts some unique people. My whackiest experience was the girl who told me, out of character, that she was attracted to me and wanted to drink my blood. Um, thanks. I think.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Explain.....

Sometimes your opponent is about to come to a star purchase square but he'll only have enough money if he does alright on the next game.

But the next game gets decided and it's a team game. AND YOU ARE ON HIS TEAM.

Simple. Let him get the star and then steal it from him later.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »

YES THEY ARE

UNLIMITED AMMO?
    SUPER ARMOR?

I remember back when I played AC a lot, I was shocked at how many people thought high-level Arena fights were hard, to the point where I was told that things I had done such as blade-only kills were 'literally impossible' on forums.

Thinking back, I don't think I've ever lost an arena match in any Armored Core game.

Maybe I've just got mad-AC-skills for no apparent reason. >_>

Kamar on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

In sports game it's known as the "No Effin' Way game" (phrase made popular by Bill Simmons), where the computer simply decides that you're not going to win this particular game. Penalties, turnovers, tipped passes falling into the wrong hands. It's unreal sometimes. Winning one of these games should be worth 50 achievement points.

Bobble on
    edited October 2009
    Kamar wrote: »

YES THEY ARE

UNLIMITED AMMO?
    SUPER ARMOR?

I remember back when I played AC a lot, I was shocked at how many people thought high-level Arena fights were hard, to the point where I was told that things I had done such as blade-only kills were 'literally impossible' on forums.

Thinking back, I don't think I've ever lost an arena match in any Armored Core game.

you're either a lying liar who lies

or a cheating cheater who cheats

take your pick
    nerd rage (specifically jealousy) in this very post!

Pony on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

YES THEY ARE

UNLIMITED AMMO?
    SUPER ARMOR?

take your pick

It's not real nerd rage until you tip over a table and throw something. DO IT!

desc on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

YES THEY ARE

UNLIMITED AMMO?
    SUPER ARMOR?

take your pick

not to inspire ire but i never said i LOST

they just happen to be cheating fucks

i just happened to be better

why don't i have the AC game for ps3 yet?

Arch on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Explain.....

Not that it ever ended in nerdrage worthy of this thread (as I only played with friends), but great moments of dickery that could create nerdrage:

Quick background: Most stars at the end of game = winner. Stars cost 20 coins. You get coins by winning games or landing on spaces in a board game.

-- A friend gets an item which allows him to teleport to a star and buy it early in the game. Everyone else present spends the entire game dicking him over so he never has more than 20 coins (a rather paltry sum in a long game). The item is unused all game.

-- Another friend has 19 coins and is one space from a star. A 2v2 minigame comes up, and I intentionally lose the game so he can't buy a star.

-- Random events can switch stars and coins around. Final turn of a game, a random event gives the leading player all the last place player's coins and stars (total: about 5 coins, 0 stars) in exchange for all of the leading player's coins and stars (total: about 120 coins, 4 stars).

-- The original game had a minigame where one player would be the "Bowser" and the other players got to team up on him. The best was the minigame where the "lucky player" wandered around with a bag of coins on his back, and all the other players chased him in a circle to try and grab him and steal coins from his bag (with an animation which looks particularly PG-13 and uncomfortable).

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

"What are you in for?"

*insert witty 'unlocking a face' joke here*

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Anyone who doesn't use the Free Parking money pot rule isn't worth playing with.

It also starts with $500 at the beginning of the game.

That house rule is the reason monopoly is so reviled. Without it it's almost passable.

Monopoly is a game where the total money at the table goes down over time, thus forcing player eliminations, Money on Free Parking pretty much stops that happening and turns Monoply it a 4 hour torture when it should be a 1.5 hour backstab-a-thon.

Got to remember to auction non-purchased properties as well. Nothing better than anding on a property, not buying it then getting it cheaper at auction. That's finesse.

Monopoly isn't a great game but the general population seems to have done everything in their power to make it a terrible one.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.