As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerd rage and other stories about douchebaggery

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »

Anyone who doesn't use the Free Parking money pot rule isn't worth playing with.

It also starts with $500 at the beginning of the game.

That house rule is the reason monopoly is so reviled. Without it it's almost passable.

Monopoly is a game where the total money at the table goes down over time, thus forcing player eliminations, Money on Free Parking pretty much stops that happening and turns Monoply it a 4 hour torture when it should be a 1.5 hour backstab-a-thon.

Got to remember to auction non-purchased properties as well. Nothing better than anding on a property, not buying it then getting it cheaper at auction. That's finesse.

Monopoly isn't a great game but the general population seems to have done everything in their power to make it a terrible one.

oh god yes this entire post

Pony on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    Background fluff for DnD can be downright awful sometimes. I was in a campaign where one player had pages of background info on their char, and it read like bad BESM fanfic. It also didn't help that the person in question was an alpha-level weeaboo, couldn't rp to save her life, and would come to game wearing her Kingdom Hearts LARP gear.

I read that as Klingon Hearts LARP gear the first time and wondered what the fuck constitutes Klingon Hearts gear.

I read it right the first time and I'm still confused as to what it means.

It means this

209818365_59f7e083ab.jpg

:^: :^:

But with a shittier costume.

Havelock on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The best monopoly argument I had was when me and a friend bailed out another friend after he went bankrupt by taking 50% share each of his entity as condition of the loan, then appointing him non voting chairman of his board of directors. The person who had thought she had bankrupted him was very angry - but since she couldn't point to the "no sham corporate structures" rule she had to let it slide.

We haven't played it since, which is fair enough

Surely that is covered by
    Miscallaneous

Money can be loaned to a player only by the Bank and then only by mortgaging property. No player may borrow from or lend money to another player.

There's no way you could structure a sham corporation without at least selling one property to each of the corp-owners.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party was at its worst with human players though. That shit ended friendships. My palms will never be the same either.

for those of us that never got into N64 games, PowerStone 2 for Dreamcast was our Mario Party.

logic7 on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    i remember

in perfect dark, you could populate your games with Sims (bots)

and they had different traits and difficulty levels

in the description of DarkSim (the hardest of all) it was like "If you think DarkSim is cheating, he is."

so refreshing

for a game to outright admit that

Both Perfect Sims and Dark Sims cheat like wild.

They start with all available weapons, camp the respawns (especially if shields are available) and oh, know exactly where you are. If you're standing still they get auto headshots whenever possible, and can run backwards while shooting.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know this was a bit ago, but a MightyGodKing post sums up Diplomacy well:

fuckyou.jpg

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know this was a bit ago, but a MightyGodKing post sums up Diplomacy well:

fuckyou.jpg

I want that so badly.

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Madden takes the 'video game cheating' thing to a totally new level. What's funny about it is that it cheats in totally obvious, ridiculous ways, like the CPU's running back breaking six tackles on the way to an 80 yard touchdown or their QB being 30/32 with two interceptions.

This is especially funny in the newer versions that try to tell you how much the game's difficulty is dynamically changing based on your performance. Offensively your ratings are pretty easy to keep pegged, but you're a lot more dependent on the CPU to play for you on defense. So you'll have 2-3 games where you stone the CPU, then one or two where it compensates by making the opposing offense ridiculous, after which your defensive "skills" look normal again.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always thought the bots on the various Unreal games were set to "cheat" no matter the skill level.

logic7 on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh man, monopoly. whenever I'd play it in high school, whoever was losing would team up to dick over whoever was winning. (selling properties for $1, ignoring rents, shit like that) kinda annoying, but we were all still having fun.

anyway. a couple years ago, my roommate's girlfriend invited us to a game night with a bunch of her friends. so 2 other people I knew, and 5 or 6 that I met that night. A monopoly board gets busted out and the game begins. After a while, I'm in a pretty strong position, and so are 2 other players: a couple. A couple that had more-or-less freely traded properties with each other to get their monopolies.

Eventually the girl lands somewhere that would have run her out of cash. He hands her the money to cover the rent. Then they proceed to do this with each other whenever one gets low on cash. After the 2nd or 3rd time, I'm seeing red. I politely point out that what they're doing is in neither the spirit nor the rules of the game, but they're "having fun" and no one else wants to make an issue of it.
    I didn't want to make a scene as I had just met these people a couple hours earlier, but if they had been my friends, I would have been calling them every obscene thing I could think of.

after a couple more trips around the board, I was almost ready to start screaming at them anyway but I luckily had a moment of clarity. I handed my cash and property to one of the other remaining players and walked away from the table.

my friend had a falling out with most of that group a few months later and I ended up not seeing any of them ever again.

tl;dr: couples should not be allowed to play games / monopoly is not a god damned team event

SaraLuna on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fuck when I play monopoly with my fiance the first person she tries to take out is me.

And vice versa.

TheGerbil on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pablo: The irony is that your situation is much more like how the market actually functions.

Incenjucar on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Shortly after Executus opened, a Horde guild named Tindi Losi transferred over there, and my home-grown guild joined up with them. The GM and main tank's name was Devastatian, and he was a grade-A fuck. AQ40 was fun as hell with him. Anyway, here's a recording of one of our raids.

http://eatteleports.ytmnd.com/

"HEY SINWARLOCK" was a joke with us for a long, long time. This one was mild compared to his usual disposition.

cr0w on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    I always thought the bots on the various Unreal games were set to "cheat" no matter the skill level.

Far as I know, they are.

Which is the secret to beating them.

Want to cheese the last level of any single player UT campaign? Say the fight is to 10 points? Let them kill you 8 times in a row, and then dominate the shit out of them on a 10-8 win as they go from "unstoppable" to "pants on head retarded" with such a lead.

Try to win naturally? Enjoy getting up to around 8-0 and then they're set to "superhuman" and watch as they violate you for 10 straight kills.

Yes, yes, queue 30 people saying "I beat him 10-0, you just suck". Whatever, fuck you guys. The bots cheat, end of story.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Forar wrote: »

Far as I know, they are.

Want to cheese the last level of any single player UT campaign? Say the fight is to 10 points? Let them kill you 8 times in a row, and then dominate the shit out of them on a 10-8 win as they go from "unstoppable" to "pants on head retarded" with such a lead.

Try to win naturally? Enjoy getting up to around 8-0 and then they're set to "superhuman" and watch as they violate you for 10 straight kills.

Yes, yes, queue 30 people saying "I beat him 10-0, you just suck". Whatever, fuck you guys. The bots cheat, end of story.

The bots do cheat, but that's not what the real issue is.

As the bot's AI goes up they just turn into aimbots, and are aware of where you are on the map at all times.

But they have weak points. Their selection of weapons is just terrible, their movement is pathetic, and they'd blindly go for powerups.

Face raping the bots comes from knowing this, and then do the following. You can nearly mimic a radar via sound ques. You should never be using music, or playing at high details, in a DM FPS, ever, period. Now memorize where every item is on the map and you can track everything by pick ups, the decreased detail will improve your visuals and you'll be able to make out targets better.

Next optomize your weapons. Unreal tournament, past 99, is extremely hitscan based. You need to focus on just shock, and sniper. You can't out gun them at close range. Lock those guns down quickly, and keep picking up the others.

Finally time every item on the map to within a second or so. Always pick up the Armors and Quad Damage. And learn where all the spawn points are and where somebody killed will pop back up.

Now again, this is DM 101 for competitive players, but it can't be stated enough. Unless you are doing all these things, you aren't even scratching the surface of the game.

Against humans, now you're ready to start the meta game, against bots, now you go flawless. Bots, are stupid. They will not wait you out, they will always attack, and they will always run like maniacs for the double damage. All you have to do is keep locking the weapons, don't go for a kill unless you MUST do so to keep a lock or survive, and when the Quad comes up, cover it from a higher angle and roll in the kills, sweep in and grab it at the last possible second... which is dictated by when you have to leave because you've only got 5 seconds on other key guns and armor, and then rinse/repeat.

If you've got a really solid lock, and it's 1v1 bots, just spawn rape the fuck out of them, never let them stay alive for more then 10 seconds. 1v1 DM maps are tight enough to do it, hell if you know the spawns well enough you can blind fire shock combos, you don't even have to see the fucker.

So yes, they cheat, but you can play like a prick as well.

psychotix on
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's my story in which I embarrass myself:

I pre-order GTA4 a week before it comes out. It arrives on the expected day, but the next week is filled with exams and papers and presentations, so I swear to myself I'm going to wait until I've finished my week from hell before I open the game. Instead, I leave it in its unopened UPS package box on my couch as motivation.

For the next week, I'm tormented by this small brown package taking up residence on my couch. I'm overwhelmed with desire to rip it open and put the disc in and play my sweet, precious GTA4. But I persevere and go about being a studious little college student, overcoming my temptations and doing well on my exams.

Finally, I finish my last test. I bike back to my room at breakneck speeds, charge up the stairs, exuberantly declare to my roommates I had completed the shittiest week ever, and I rip open the box. Except, GTA4 isn't inside... inside is a copy of Bee Movie: The Game.

I stare at it for awhile, and then throw it to the floor. I collapse on my coach and start yelling about how I was going to kill someone from UPS or Gamespot or whoever was responsible for this fuck-up, and I'm going on and cursing about how I'll have to call a bunch of numbers in order to get the refund and god fucking damnit I just wanted some fucking GTA4 god fuck fuck shittiest week ever fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. You get the idea.

I go on for about fifteen minutes of embarrassing myself like this. Finally, my roommates, who had been sitting in their chairs awkwardly while I yelled profanities at a game disc, start to break out into laughter. One of them throws a GTA4 disc at me and tells me to chill.

Turns out that while I was gone they had secretly opened the box, replaced GTA4 with the shittiest game imaginable, and then super carefully closed and sealed the box to make it look like it hadn't been tampered with.

At least when I realized it was a practical joke I was a good sport about it, but man did I nerd rage pretty hard for awhile. I still get shit about that.

Talka on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Far as I know, they are.

The UT2k4 bots can literally shoot straight up with the tank, while a normal player can only shoot at about 75 degrees from level. If you fly a raptor directly above a tank with a hard difficulty bot it will shoot you.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    you ever get to that point where you get so fucked over by the game that you begin to feel like the game is actually cheating?

like you are playing a game where, ostensibly, the NPC is operating under the same rules as you but then they just do bullshit and you are like OH FUCK OFF

if they were a human player you'd accuse them of hacking

but instead you are wondering if like

that's actually a part of the game

that the game fucking cheats

This is in fact part of many games.
    Yeah, many shitty games.

SithDrummer on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    how has there not been any contra rage stories
    my NES is lucky to have lived this long considering i owned that hellspawn of a game

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    my NES is lucky to have lived this long considering i owned that hellspawn of a game

I mentioned this in the Ninja Turtles thread, but the god damn ninja turtles game with teh electrifying sea weed, and the game POW were two NES games that used to piss me off to no end. Just thinking about that damn ninja turtles game and having lost Don and Leo and stuck with mike's shitty numchucks *SP* gets me angry now. Granted I haven't touched the game in 10 years so I don't know if it was as hard as I remember but, i DO remember the rage, adn the controller throwing.

NES with the lack of saving, endless levels...yea, those were the days...and rages

Actually paper boy 2 used to aggrivate me a lot too

hmmmm, ghouls and ghosts was another one that was difficult if you didn't skip through the levels or manage to find all the hidden chests with the armor in them. The other thing that used to piss me off in that game was once you had your armor maxed and a sick weapon like the seeking crossbow and then a check pops up or a weapon drops RIGHT where you have no choice but to jump and its something like the god damn useless Dagger or scyth or some shit. ...that was super NES rage days tho

TonyTheLeper on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Contra was easy, and there is also the konami code

psychotix on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Talka wrote: »
    Poast

That's pretty awesome actually. I probably would've reacted the same way.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Mario Party was at its worst with human players though. That shit ended friendships. My palms will never be the same either.

Explain.....

Not that it ever ended in nerdrage worthy of this thread (as I only played with friends), but great moments of dickery that could create nerdrage:

Quick background: Most stars at the end of game = winner. Stars cost 20 coins. You get coins by winning games or landing on spaces in a board game.

-- A friend gets an item which allows him to teleport to a star and buy it early in the game. Everyone else present spends the entire game dicking him over so he never has more than 20 coins (a rather paltry sum in a long game). The item is unused all game.

-- Another friend has 19 coins and is one space from a star. A 2v2 minigame comes up, and I intentionally lose the game so he can't buy a star.

-- Random events can switch stars and coins around. Final turn of a game, a random event gives the leading player all the last place player's coins and stars (total: about 5 coins, 0 stars) in exchange for all of the leading player's coins and stars (total: about 120 coins, 4 stars).

-- The original game had a minigame where one player would be the "Bowser" and the other players got to team up on him. The best was the minigame where the "lucky player" wandered around with a bag of coins on his back, and all the other players chased him in a circle to try and grab him and steal coins from his bag (with an animation which looks particularly PG-13 and uncomfortable).

217487025_rDFnb-L-2.jpg

-Loki- on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

I mentioned this in the Ninja Turtles thread, but the god damn ninja turtles game with teh electrifying sea weed, and the game POW were two NES games that used to piss me off to no end. Just thinking about that damn ninja turtles game and having lost Don and Leo and stuck with mike's shitty numchucks *SP* gets me angry now. Granted I haven't touched the game in 10 years so I don't know if it was as hard as I remember but, i DO remember the rage, adn the controller throwing.

NES with the lack of saving, endless levels...yea, those were the days...and rages

Actually paper boy 2 used to aggrivate me a lot too

hmmmm, ghouls and ghosts was another one that was difficult if you didn't skip through the levels or manage to find all the hidden chests with the armor in them. The other thing that used to piss me off in that game was once you had your armor maxed and a sick weapon like the seeking crossbow and then a check pops up or a weapon drops RIGHT where you have no choice but to jump and its something like the god damn useless Dagger or scyth or some shit. ...that was super NES rage days tho

I was never able to get past the dinosaurs in Turtles in Time. I don't know why.

Similarly, I still haven't gotten past the moving platforms temple in FFX.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thief 2: The Metal Age

Final Level: Sabotage at Soulforge.

Fuck. That. Shit.

I died. So many times, so very many times.

Consequenty, I nerd raged on that level so many times.

Havelock on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not my story, but my old GameStop manager told me about this regular at one of his previous stores. Apparently this guy would buy a load of controllers at a time. Like 5-6 at a time. My manager asks this dude one day... "Ya know, whats up with all the controllers" Apparently this guy kept a cinder block and a hammer next to his couch and whenever he nerd raged, he would smash a controller with the hammer.

My last nerd rage that I can remember was playing God Hand. Fought the final boss like 20 times. I whipped my controller across the room as is the tradition.

YodaTuna on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to flip out as a kid, but I think over time my nerd rage capacity has mostly disappeared. I'll go from having fun, to mildly frustrated, straight to cracking up because the game is obviously unfair bullshit that isn't giving me a chance.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the D-Day level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was probably the last time I was truly, undeniable, uncontrollably raging at everything I could think of before eventually getting through it. I think the entire block knew what I thought about the German Army that day.

Things like the Extreme challenge rooms in the Arkham Asylum game get me yelling at the TV, but I've been embarrassed enough after MOH:AA to keep it relatively reasonable since then.

It doesn't stop me from trying to twist the controller in half from time to time...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually smashed up my Game Boy when I was 7 - 9 because of that fucking Itchy and Scratchy golf game.

theSquid on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god, I used to play WoW pretty hardcore back during the end of high school and beginning of College, I don't remember any specific incidents. But I was one of the guys who'd be pissed if he missed a raid to go out and eat dinner with his family. Hell, I even got to the point where I was on the best guild on the server doing Naxxramas (the 40 man one) 6 days a week for 4-6ish hours a night. I was pretty pissed any time I couldn't raid, god those were dark times.

Of course, the two best examples of rage over a video game are probably Call of Duty 4 on Veteran trying to get through some of the sections in that was absolute hell. I would pound my fists on whatever was near after about the 30th time dieing the exact same way, especially when I would be spammed with grenades.

The other example was some Dragon Ball Z fighting game for the Gamecube, probably Budokai 1 or something, and I got so angry after about the 10th time I lost to a certain guy (a computer) that i threw the controller on the floor and stomped really hard on my floor, injuring my foot for a week or two.

Also, speaking of that, fighting games in general pissed me off, I stay away from them for the most part now though. Would really hate when my friend would pick a character and then just do one move and cheese me to death, he thought it was hilarious though.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Usually followed by the feeling that you're glad that's not the case.

I mean dressing up as Naruto to go to class? That's just all kinds of o_O .

Reminds me of when I was really lazy during Halloween last year and decided not to cook but take the easy way out.... by heading to Burger King.

From the drive-thru window, I see someone working.

It's a fat black girl in a full Naruto jumpsuit. His second costume jumpsuit type thing. With the headband.

And then I felt dirty for recognizing the anime it came from. And the details.

Fubear on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Also, speaking of that, fighting games in general pissed me off, I stay away from them for the most part now though. Would really hate when my friend would pick a character and then just do one move and cheese me to death, he thought it was hilarious though.

My friend used to cheese Raphael against me all the time. Until one game we allowed alternate weapons, I grabbed Nightmare and used Glam, and managed to land a charged up backhand that sent him flying, then he rolled into two charged overhead swings. Pretty sure it ended after those 3 hits too. He never liked playing against me when I used Nightmare after that.

-Loki- on
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One of my friends still has his SNES controls that have bite marks all over them from when he'd get so frustrated that he'd bite them. They're pretty deep.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm usually pretty subdued when it comes to playing games, but fighting games just bring something out of me. It's weird because I wont even be that mad, but I'll be let out yelps of frustration and a few elongated fuuuuuuuuuuuucks. But it's kind of fun.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My engineering program included an introductory lab course where team of students built robots to compete in some arbitrary task. In my quarter the objective was to collect the most balls in one minute from the center of a table and place them in a bucket hanging off the end of your side. There were two levels of balls, a lower trench filled with white balls (worth 1 point) and an upper tray filled with orange balls (worth more, 2 or 3 or 5, I don't remember). The tray was connected to the trench by two hollow supports on sides, so as the white balls were removed the orange balls would fall down the supports and fill in the trench. The robots had to start on opposite corners of the table next to the trench, and had to fit in a 1 foot cube at the beginning of the competition, though once the competition started they could extend/split into multiple parts /do whatever the fuck. Since lab space was limited the class was of course split into sections, and toward the end of the quarter each section would have a tournament. The final was a class wide tournament held in the old gym, with seeding based on the results of the section tournaments.

Obviously there were several different ways to approach this. You could try and scoop the most balls from the bottom as fast as possible, or you could try and go straight for the high value balls up top before the other team could clear space. Initially everyone talked about trying to block the the other teams robot, but this could be difficult to do since you didn't know if your opponent was going to go hi or low or move. In the end most teams went with a simple design, a non moving robot that deployed a mechanical arm of some sort and attempted to scoop balls as fast as possible while ignoring the other team.

So I'm working in the lab in one of the open times, and some from another section is telling people how his robot is unbeatable and he is going to beat everyone and he is so clever and blah blah. He would go around looking at other teams work and tell them how hey that's pretty good, too bad I'm going to kick your ass. A real popular fellow. Turns out his design was a weighted net that he would throw over the tray and onto the other robot to fuck with their shit and then go about scoring points on his own. The guy spent so many hours making perfecting his launching mechanism and adjusting the weights on the ends so everything would work just right. Apparently it was rather effective, as he beat everyone in his section.

Finals day rolls around and the guy is sets up for his match. As a section winner he gets pitted against some half assed barely working robot. The minute starts, he fires his net, and oh shit, misfire, he ends up crippling his own robot. Now he has to sit here and watch as this retarded robot flops around for a minute. Right before time runs out the other team manages to get one ball out and roll it across the table into the bucket. He loses 1-0 to some total piece of crap ( the average robot scored like 50 points, some were in the 100's)

After the match is over the guy sits their quietly disconnecting his robot from the table and controls and picks it up. Instead of heading back to the bleachers with the other students he heads to the trash can and proceeds to RIP HIS ROBOT APART WITH HIS BARE HANDS WHILE SCREAMING AND CUSSING, throws it aways and walks out of the gym. Just tosses a quarter's worth of work in total nerd rage and leaves the class. The best part is the professors included some "wild card" slots later in the tournament so teams that had really good or interesting designs that malfunctioned would have another chance. For example, the robot with the highest overall score of all the section had a their ramp fail to deploy their first match, but they were allowed to tweak it and compete in a second match later on . Had he just sat back down he probably would have got another shot as well, as his was one of the only effective defensive robots, but he had to go HULK SMASH on his robot instead and left it in the bottom of a trash can.

Pellaeon on
  • FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are stories where you raged out on a nerd okay?

Because man this one time...

I used to be part of the anime club at the local university. This was back in the day before you could buy a DVD box set in Best Buy or hit the torrentubes for shit. Back in the day, the best way to watch the latest annie-mays was to import them and get some dudes you know who speak Japanese to subtitle them.

That was how the club operated. As a result, I got to watch some cool shit years before it came out in North America.

Anyway, the one time, at the club, there's this greasy fat fuck who is talking to two other people about this idea he has: the club should start showing hentai. But not just any hentai, but lolicon! (Don't google that shit, kids, I'll explain if you don't know).

Hentai is anime porn. Lolicon is anime child porn. It is pornography featuring animated children being raped by tentacles or whatever the fuck.

The legality of lolicon is sorta shaky, and varies pretty wildly by area. The people he was talking to were like "uhhh, eehhhh" and sort shifting uncomfortably and the dude was like "What? There's nothing wrong with it! Plus, it'll freak out the mundanes and keep idiots and ignorant people away from the club."

I walked up and was like "What the fucking fuck?" and he says "There's nothing wrong with lolicon, it's no worse than any other kind of porn, it's not like they are real children"

I am visibly repulsed, tell him to shut up, that his ideas are terrible, etc. and he gets all huffy and is like "Well, I like lolicon and what're you gonna do about it? It's not illegal"

So I, sadly, raged the fuck out and he joined the Nation's Punched.

Was my behavior right or acceptable? Eh... not really. But I didn't really feel bad about it at the time (felt pretty good!) and even now I sort of shrug at my actions.

Anyway, so, dude is teared up after gettin' popped and is all "You dick! I'll call the cops, that's assault" and I tell him to go ahead.

Call the cops! Tell them why I hit you. Explain your wonderful plan to show animated child porn at a public university club. I'm sure they'll cuff me right away for crackin' you one in the mouth!

He stormed off, holding back tears, and he never came back to the club again.

TL;DR me and a dude have an argument over animes, I rage out and punch him.

I think you did the dude a favor.

I don't care what you think about the ethics or its current legal status. That is something you do not want to associate with. And the fact that he was so nonchalant means that somewhere, somebody failed to tell him 'There are some things that will not fly. This is most definitely one of them.'

And the idea of 'sticking it to the mundanes' by showing that is probably one of the most retarded and harmful things you can do to your hobby.

EDIT:
    Re: someone's comment about life imitating art
    Here is KC Green's Gunshow Comic

Fubear on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pellaeon, please tell me someone told him about the wildcard setup afterwards and recorded the resulting ultra-nerdrage.

Man in the Mists on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is where someone should put the Nerd Hierarchy Flowchart. I'd do so, but most of them seem to be blocked here at work.

My favourite is the one that has like 6 parallel paths, all of increasing nerdity, and then everyone is above Furries.

Or was it Furry LARPers who write Fanfic?

Something like that. It's on the first page of Google Image Search.

This one?

http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I submit that Poker is the most nerd rage inducing game ever devised.

First of all, it's a game of strategy, so people develop really big egos about how good they think they are.

Second, it takes a really long time to play. 24 hour sessions are not unheard of.

Third, short term success depends mostly on luck.

Fourth, large sums of money can be at stake.

Combining all those factors is like the atom bomb of nerd rage. It doesn't help that some people deliberately try to annoy their opponents in order to get an edge. Nerd rage over a board game might ruin a friendship, but nerd rage in a poker game could destroy your whole life. I'm sure there are cases of people being murdered over it.

Pi-r8 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I submit that Poker is the most nerd rage inducing game ever devised.

First of all, it's a game of strategy, so people develop really big egos about how good they think they are.

Second, it takes a really long time to play. 24 hour sessions are not unheard of.

Third, short term success depends mostly on luck.

Fourth, large sums of money can be at stake.

Combining all those factors is like the atom bomb of nerd rage. It doesn't help that some people deliberately try to annoy their opponents in order to get an edge. Nerd rage over a board game might ruin a friendship, but nerd rage in a poker game could destroy your whole life. I'm sure there are cases of people being murdered over it.

i've certainly got into a pretty serious fistfight over it

more than once

but i also used to have a gambling problem

(technically i still have a gambling problem, i just deal with it by not gambling)

Pony on