As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Capsule Alternative?

NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to buy an external hard drive for two purposes: transferring files from an old computer to a new one (basically a one-time use) and for the long run I need to back up the files on my two home computers (both Macs).

So I was just going to buy a firewire Hard Drive to transfer the files, but I was hoping there was a good alternative to Time Capsule that could automatically backup files for both of my computers (without slowing them down during the backup process). Does such a thing exist?

One computer is a Mac Mini and the other will be a MacBook replacing an iMac.

Am I better off backing up files manually? Do I need to have more than one hard drive? Any brands I should look for? Any brands I should avoid (besides Time Capsule)?

Thanks for any help!

NibCrom on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is the old comp a mac?

if so can't you easily migrate with the migration assistant/time machine

time machine is pretty good in terms of backing up. i just use a western digital passport and it yells at me when i forget to plug it in.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    I need to buy an external hard drive for two purposes: transferring files from an old computer to a new one (basically a one-time use) and for the long run I need to back up the files on my two home computers (both Macs).

So I was just going to buy a firewire Hard Drive to transfer the files, but I was hoping there was a good alternative to Time Capsule that could automatically backup files for both of my computers (without slowing them down during the backup process). Does such a thing exist?

One computer is a Mac Mini and the other will be a MacBook replacing an iMac.

Am I better off backing up files manually? Do I need to have more than one hard drive? Any brands I should look for? Any brands I should avoid (besides Time Capsule)?

Thanks for any help!

Time machine will backup to any external hard drive.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    mts wrote: »
    is the old comp a mac?

if so can't you easily migrate with the migration assistant/time machine

time machine is pretty good in terms of backing up. i just use a western digital passport and it yells at me when i forget to plug it in.

Yes, all of the computers are Macs. They will be in different rooms, so I was hoping there was a wireless solution (other than Time Capsule) that could backup both computers. Or should I just buy two hard drives, one for each computer?

Any other good brands besides western digital passport?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    not really. though if the anti time capsule sentiment is due to its price consider this. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB765LL/A?mco=MTI1NjAxOTk

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm basically against the Time Capsule due to it's poor reviews and reputation for only lasting 18 months.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To simulate time capsule you need a file server hooked up to your network, then you mount that drive on your macs and use it for time machine. You could use a marvell sheevaplug with a usb hard drive, for a small solution. Or any linux computer with some hard drives in it.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I'll just buy a firewire drive and share it among the two computers. Or buy another one eventually if need be.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, you can just hook it up to your mini, turn on file sharing on that computer, mount the drive on your laptop and then you can both backup to that drive, the laptop wirelessly.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sweet! I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

NibCrom on