As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me the best you got

AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to do SE++ Secret Satans, so I asked my dad what he thought about the whole idea. He's willing to go for it if I can show him the community. So, I come here humbly asking you to find me a few examples of the best things I can show him to convince him the forums are okay.

Obviously, if you can find something from SE that would be best, but other subforums are probably fine too. Examples should:

show that you guys are not deranged psychopaths
not really be about ruuude titties or fat asses or cocks dicks lol
not be too profane (a few "fucks" should be fine, but I don't think anything more explicit will really help my case)

Anyway, it would be much appreciated if anyone could find anything at all. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AMP'd on

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AMP'd my man, if something like the Science thread in SE doesn't work I'm not sure what will :)

You're young and your parents are trying to protect you, which is extremely admirable (though I'm sure it's frustrating at times for you), so just let your dad visit SE and get a feel for our collective personality and don't be too bummed out if he decides its a no go this year, ok?

We have our fair share of oddballs, but every single forumer from SE that I've met in real life has been a fantastic and fun loving person. That being said, I'd be happy to link you to my Facebook or my LinkedIn profile if your dad would be more comfortable seeing a face behind the internet.

Usagi on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MichaelLC on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Science thread should be pretty tame, and shows just how scholarly we all are.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, past secret santas/satans threads so he can see what the actual event is about, and that it actually does work and isn't some scam to get you to send stuff to someone.

Wezoin on
  • pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know this isn't directly related to the forums, and SE++ more precisely, but I'm curious if you mentioned Child's Play? There are plenty of forum members, especially from SE++, who donate their time and money for it.

pinenut_canary on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These are all pretty good ideas

I'm not sure if he'll let me show him specific things or if I'll just end up pointing him to the forums and watching him click around

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As long as you warn him about the swearing and penises it should be alright.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    Past Satan's threads might be a good idea, they aren't archived or anything to my knowledge but if you search Kuribo Shoe's thread making history they're all there

And a personal example, last year Szechuanosaurus sent me a no-edges brownie pan from Scotland (it's awesome!) and I sent WaM this

Usagi on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I won't do Satans

There's a slight risk that Usagi will get me and I'll feel horrible for not getting such a good gift

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Naw dude, just do your own thing and whoever your Satee is will be thrilled

Half the fun is figuring out what they'd like

Usagi on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you could always show him the memorial threads we do, shows we are really just adorable and friendly people underneath all the swagger and vinegary seething

Raneados on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My mum thinks the guys are hilarious, particularly tube

she posts on a volkswagen beetle forum

The Black Hunter on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Introduce him to LewieP's Mum

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh yes do that

Raneados on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Introduce him to LewieP's Mum

This, She is Awesome! I lurk her Artist thread all the time:P but I never ask for one because she made me put my art degree to good use:mrgreen:

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How about all the PAX pictures?
    We look like a pretty clean-cut bunch, wook's beard notwithstanding.
    Dru and Usagi are positively adorable

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Forums Battles?

You'll have to pick the right ones to show your dad

SE++ Draw a Horse?

T. J. Nutty Nub on
    edited October 2009
    Trillian wrote: »

harrumph

<3

Usagi on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah the PAX photos might be a good idea. Show him that it really is a community, not just a forum.

Oh, oh! Tell him that it will improve your chances of marrying a british chick.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Trillian wrote: »

harrumph

<3

:3

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You could show him one of the other Secret Santa things, like the G&T Secret Santa Wall

Hypatia on