As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's the [DJ HERO], I'm the Rapper

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Talk about this game, I'm sick of reading the Guitar Hero thread for info. Give me Youtubes of people playing on Expert and post your impressions so far so I can go pick this game up soon.

Allforce on

• KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm kind of with you. It's a little like digging to every third post to get something I want.

Kazaka on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Music GOTY!

Video spammage ahoy! Note that even though most of these are on expert, they're from various tiers in the game, and some are definitely easier than others.

Basic tutorial
    Advanced tutorial
    Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison vs. Cameo - Word Up! (Expert clip)
    2Pac - All Eyez On Me vs. The Aranbee Pop Orchestra - Bittersweet Symphony (Expert clip)
    Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby vs MC Hammer - Can't Touch This (full song on Expert, from Wii version)
    Public Enemy - Bring the Noize 20xx vs Justice - Genesis (Expert clip)
    Benny Benassi - Satisfaction vs. Tiesto - Elements Of Life (Expert clip)
    Noisia - Groundhog Beat Juggle (Expert clip)
    The Killers - Somebody Told Me vs. Eric Prydz - Pjanoo (Expert clip)
    Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers - Bustin Loose vs. Young MC - Bust A Move (Expert clip)
    Queen - We Will Rock you vs. Daft Punk - Robot Rock (Expert clip)
    Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby vs. Paula Abdul - Straight Up (Expert clip) (surprisingly, this mix works well)
    Jackson 5 - I Want You Back vs. Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life (Expert clip, DJ+Guitar gameplay)
    REVIEWS:
    Games Radar: 9
    GamePro: 4½/5
    GameDaily: 90
    TeamXbox: 8.9/10
    GameInformer: 9/10 (2nd opinion: 8.75/10)
    GamingTrend: 90/100
    Wired: 8/10
    G4: 3/5
    IGN UK: 9.3
    GamesMaster UK: 92%
    PSM3 UK: 90%
    IGN: 9.0
    OXM UK: 8/10
    PlanetXbox360: 8.7/10
    Cheat Code Central: 4/5
    GiantBomb: 4/5
    Gametrailers: 8.8

Standard Edition controller pic:
    dj-hero-controller-012.jpg

Renegade Edition controller & stand pics:
    dj-hero-renegade-edition-gallery-20091021015741589.jpg

dj-hero-renegade-edition-gallery-20091021015734245.jpg

dj-hero-renegade-edition-gallery-20091021015744745.jpg

dj-hero-renegade-edition-gallery-20091021015730527.jpg

Soundtrack:

This dude is uploading music rips to Youtube.

For Unbreakable Vow:

Rihanna - Disturbia Vs The Killers - Somebody Told Me

XiaNaphryz on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The problem with DJ Hero is that I'm much more interested in the mixes than actually playing the game.

And someone on YouTube has managed to put up a ton (all?) of the songs here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Smash2Gether

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That guy talking in that demo video is so obnoxious, I had to turn it off...

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The problem with DJ Hero is that I'm much more interested in the mixes than actually playing the game.

And someone on YouTube has managed to put up a ton (all?) of the songs here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Smash2Gether

I put a link to that at the bottom of my post. ;P

XiaNaphryz on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some of these mixes are amazing.

Some... aren't.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I had extra cash/time lying around I would LOVE to get this.. *cough*SecretSanta*cough*..

In all seriousness though, this looks like a great rhythm game diversion from the usual Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I'm also diggin the guitar + turn table.

Does anyone know if that can be done with all songs, or just certain ones?

remlap13 on
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    If I had extra cash/time lying around I would LOVE to get this.. *cough*SecretSanta*cough*..

In all seriousness though, this looks like a great rhythm game diversion from the usual Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I'm also diggin the guitar + turn table.

Only 10 of the tracks have guitar support, and unfortunately many of these aren't really that great compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

XiaNaphryz on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    remlap13 wrote: »

Only 10 of the tracks have guitar support, and unfortunately many of these aren't really that great compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

Ah lame sauce. I always like when i can use ridiculously overpriced peripherals for more than one game.

remlap13 on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice OP, 3rd poster, that's what I was looking for.

I saw they announced DLC for like 3 bucks a song, which I don't mind. What I do mind is that I likely would buy EVERY song on DLC for this game since it's such a unique thing. This isn't Rock Band where I'd be like "I don't like Boston so I'm not downloading their shit". It seems like every DLC track they release could be worth it

Allforce on
  • ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just picked this up today and have been having fun on Medium so far. It seems a little easy, but I know once they start putting in directional scratches it's going to get really interesting. There had been a few mixes I haven't much cared for, but the majority are pretty good to outstanding. I just unlocked Daft Punk to play as, I don't know why there's would even be more DJs to unlock, they're the only ones anyone needs.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought this today. My son may be the Next Big Thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFgAbX8XLw

Houn on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Groundhog" is a cruel joke. I can 5 star every song on Medium way easily, but that one I had to cheese my way through to get my 5 star; I saved all my Euphoria for the "my friend feedback" section.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love how this game makes 0 sense for me on how to play it by looking at it. Guitar hero was fairly straightforward. This? No idea. Intrigued though. Secret santa would be awesome, haha. And the mixes sound nifty.

SniperGuy on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Had litteraly no interest in this until I saw these vids, looks pretty sick

gunwarrior on
    edited November 2009
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    For Unbreakable Vow:

Rihanna - Disturbia Vs The Killers - Somebody Told Me

Thank you! That mix is so damn good, I think I might actually prefer it to the original version of "Disturbia".
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I love how this game makes 0 sense for me on how to play it by looking at it. Guitar hero was fairly straightforward. This? No idea. Intrigued though. Secret santa would be awesome, haha. And the mixes sound nifty.

It takes a little while to get used to the swing of things with the new controller, especially the weight of the platter and the crossfader. But when you do, it absolutely becomes second nature just like GH/RB.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009

The tutorial vids do a nice job of explanation.
    "Groundhog" is a cruel joke. I can 5 star every song on Medium way easily, but that one I had to cheese my way through to get my 5 star; I saved all my Euphoria for the "my friend feedback" section.

I expected you to be on Hard or Expert by now. :lol:

I've moved up to Expert, and so far I see no real major differences from Hard except for most of the scratches being directional now, and maybe more crossfader spikes but I'm not totally sure about that one.

XiaNaphryz on
    edited November 2009
    I'm about to start on Hard, actually.

Just have to finish 5-star this last song on Medium (the Motorhead one) to get the Achievement, shouldn't be a problem, I was just green the first time I played it.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm still using this as my general Hero talk thread.

You shunned my thread :(

Welcome anyways :)

Allforce on
    edited November 2009
    ChrisDude wrote: »
    I just picked this up today and have been having fun on Medium so far. It seems a little easy, but I know once they start putting in directional scratches it's going to get really interesting. There had been a few mixes I haven't much cared for, but the majority are pretty good to outstanding. I just unlocked Daft Punk to play as, I don't know why there's would even be more DJs to unlock, they're the only ones anyone needs.

That's all I'm hoping for. That transformation of "God I look like an asshole" to "Man I can fuck this song up on expert" that EVERYONE got after time with Guitar Hero when they first tried it out.

Also, the only DJ EVERneeded is DJ Jazzy Jeff.

Allforce on
    edited November 2009
    Jazzy Jeff is my default character.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    ChrisDude wrote: »

That's all I'm hoping for. That transformation of "God I look like an asshole" to "Man I can fuck this song up on expert" that EVERYONE got after time with Guitar Hero when they first tried it out.

Also, the only DJ EVERneeded is DJ Jazzy Jeff.

Speaking of, here's an interesting Jazzy Jeff interview, 18+ min!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaxuj9ekLF8&fmt=22

XiaNaphryz on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any differences between the different console versions?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited November 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Any differences between the different console versions?

I haven't heard anything, so probably just the usual for rhythm games: no HD visuals on Wii and PS2, no online play on PS2.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Had the wonderful opportunity to play this at Best Buy, as well as observe bystander reactions and play attempts (yay pseudo school projects).

The interface for the cross-fader switches needs a lot of work (which it will never get). With a horizontal line as the visual aid, it is exceedingly difficult to figure out exactly when the game wants you to switch tracks. An angled line as a visual indication of the time to slide it would have been ideal, but as it stands this was one of two major difficulties for anyone playing.

The second was the scratching. Pressing the key and simultaneously beginning scratching on the flimsy provided stand is... an interesting experience. Most people would miss the first 'note' of a sustained scratch 90% of the time for this reason.

The mixes are good, but I have to agree with a previous poster: I'm infinitely more interested in this for the mixes rather than for the gameplay.

Pjstelford on
    edited November 2009

Gameplay really doesn't get more simple than "hold down a button and move your finger back and forth."

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    Had the wonderful opportunity to play this at Best Buy, as well as observe bystander reactions and play attempts (yay pseudo school projects).

The interface for the cross-fader switches needs a lot of work (which it will never get). With a horizontal line as the visual aid, it is exceedingly difficult to figure out exactly when the game wants you to switch tracks. An angled line as a visual indication of the time to slide it would have been ideal, but as it stands this was one of two major difficulties for anyone playing.

The second was the scratching. Pressing the key and simultaneously beginning scratching on the flimsy provided stand is... an interesting experience. Most people would miss the first 'note' of a sustained scratch 90% of the time for this reason.

The mixes are good, but I have to agree with a previous poster: I'm infinitely more interested in this for the mixes rather than for the gameplay.
    Treat the timing for starting a crossfade or a scratch as if it was a button tap - right when it crosses the line is when you need to register it. For the crossfades, this concept is easier to pick up if there's also a button tap at the same time as the crossfade, the button tap and crossfade should happen simultaenously. For the scratch, this concept is easier to pick up if you treat the start of a sustained scratch as a single scratch then proceed from there.

After some practice, it all becomes second nature.

XiaNaphryz on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

An angled line would make any chart with quick crossfades an absolute nightmare to read... and I don't think it would really help at all. The horizontal line indicates exactly what it should: that you should crossfade at that point as quickly as possible. Training yourself to start a crossfade slightly before the line crosses will come pretty quickly and is what you'd end up doing with an angled line anyway.

Also for scratching, you can spin the turntable in anticipation as long as you hit the button when the scratch starts... I always pull it toward me before a scratch starts so the beginning of the scratch is me pushing the button and scratching forward at the same time.

midgetspy on
    edited November 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

An angled line would make any chart with quick crossfades an absolute nightmare to read... and I don't think it would really help at all. The horizontal line indicates exactly what it should: that you should crossfade at that point as quickly as possible. Training yourself to start a crossfade slightly before the line crosses will come pretty quickly and is what you'd end up doing with an angled line anyway.

Also for scratching, you can spin the turntable in anticipation as long as you hit the button when the scratch starts... I always pull it toward me before a scratch starts so the beginning of the scratch is me pushing the button and scratching forward at the same time.

Of course, I assume you do the opposite if the sequence starts with a backwards scratch, right?

XiaNaphryz on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

both of those are just matters of getting the timing down. some one who buys the game isn't going to have any issues with those things past the tutorial.

My father, to this day, CANNOT figure out how to strum on time in guitar hero. It's not because of poor game design, it is because he picks up a controller once ever 16 months, tries, in vain, for half a song, and then declares it to not be possible for him.

Evander on
    edited November 2009
    Evander wrote: »

both of those are just matters of getting the timing down. some one who buys the game isn't going to have any issues with those things past the tutorial.

My father, to this day, CANNOT figure out how to strum on time in guitar hero. It's not because of poor game design, it is because he picks up a controller once ever 16 months, tries, in vain, for half a song, and then declares it to not be possible for him.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Local man makes a shocking discovery; becoming proficient at an activity requires patience and practice. More at 11!

Houn on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been poking away on this for the last few days and yeah, the mixes are astounding. I wasn't a huge fan of the "cameo" mixes by DJ AM and so on, but the Daft Punk stuff is, by and large, pretty awesome...and at an 8-song set is easily the biggest mix set in the entire game.

The gameplay is pretty satisfying, though the crossfades are damn tricky.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anybody get the extended pack #1 yet?

I got a free code for it, and downloaded it, but I haven't given it a try yet. I'm curious if it is awesome, and I should rush to play it, or if I should just leave it until I finish everything else.

Evander on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ahyup, that's going to scare away a ton of people.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, though. Just waiting for the inevitable fire sale.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, though. Just waiting for the inevitable fire sale.

That's kind of my fear here. It's a great game, a great product, with unbelievable mixes and a colossal song list.

...but it's kinda different, and I'm nervous that the "hero" moniker won't be enough to salvage it from some sorta sales dive.

FireWeasel on
    edited November 2009
    I had no interest in buying it (though I would have bought a sound track for it) had Fry's not had a demo unit set up yesterday. But they did. And I played it. And now I own it. Because I am weak.

Houn on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That's kind of my fear here. It's a great game, a great product, with unbelievable mixes and a colossal song list.

...but it's kinda different, and I'm nervous that the "hero" moniker won't be enough to salvage it from some sorta sales dive.

It's actually got three strikes against it: 1) a very unfamiliar and intimidating controller, 2) a very niche music style (mashups never became popular in the mainstream, and even DJ music in general is still niche), and 3) the price. Not to mention that Activision's Guitar Hero zerg rush of games is gradually eroding the power of the brand name. The last two DS Guitar Heroes sold horribly, so having the label is certainly no guarantee for success.

It's too bad since it looks like they did a good job on this.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played this at Best Buy, and really enjoyed it...but it was...wierd. See, I can actually scratch and mix, on real tables...been doing it for years (I have a pair 1200's in my man cave)...so playing DJ hero is actually really hard for me, because I find myself wanting to put my fingers in the positions I would on a real record.

Overall though, I am pretty impressed with the package. They could have cheesed out pretty hard on this one, but they seem to have done pretty well. The peripheral feels good, though I wish there was more tension on the wheel, and I wish the fader wasn't so lose...it's hard to crab...but it's a plastic toy meant for a video game, so you can't get too over the top with that stuff.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The biggest problem I have with this is that it's ridiculously easy to slap the crossfade past neutral. A bigger "catch" there would be incredibly helpful and feel a lot more natural.

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2009
    The biggest problem I have with this is that it's ridiculously easy to slap the crossfade past neutral. A bigger "catch" there would be incredibly helpful and feel a lot more natural.

This is my biggest beef, really. Even now, after playing the crap out of it for pretty much a week, I still find it very hard not to slip past the neutral bit, particularly during really back-and-forth heavy sections.

FireWeasel on