As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually in this case it's deliberate patriarchal conspiracy.

Keepin' the wimmenz force users down.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But that wasn't especially difficult to do. You picked Revan's gender and alignment. The results didn't matter except in four places. And only one of those didn't involve any significant presentation.

Which is evidence toward why it doesn't matter what their gender or Force-ual preference are, too.

Henroid on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    It still got messed up too. If you said Revan was female in the beginning, half the time Revan was referenced, it was with male pronouns.

You can't claim that the canon Exile is female, and then complain that the game accidentally treats the canon Revan as male. Which he is.

l337CrappyJack on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    It still got messed up too. If you said Revan was female in the beginning, half the time Revan was referenced, it was with male pronouns.

You can't claim that the canon Exile is female, and then complain that the game accidentally treats the canon Revan as male. Which he is.

I don't actually care if people refer to the Exile as male or Revan as female. The only reason there are canon genders and alignments is because with them inserted into an ongoing continuity that may reference those two, they needed some sort of consistency.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's unfortunate that canonical genders and alignments for the PCs had to be chosen, and it's even worse when they picked, in my opinion anyway, the least interesting gender combinations for each game. I thought by making them take place a bagillion years before the movies, they could avoid that shit.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    But that wasn't especially difficult to do. You picked Revan's gender and alignment. The results didn't matter except in four places. And only one of those didn't involve any significant presentation.

Which is evidence toward why it doesn't matter what their gender or Force-ual preference are, too.

For Revan? Not really. For the Exile? Well, it matters more. Mira is better than Hanhaar. Handmaiden is better than Disciple. At least when talking about gameplay benefits. Obsidian simply overreached and got burned for flying to close to the sun... To mix some metaphors...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's unfortunate that canonical genders and alignments for the PCs had to be chosen, and it's even worse when they picked, in my opinion anyway, the least interesting gender combinations for each game. I thought by making them take place a bagillion years before the movies, they could avoid that shit.

What does this even mean? You don't like the fact they only allowed the player to select between male or female?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I meant it's sad that they had to pick canonical genders in the first place, and that a male Revan and a female Exile were pretty boring as compared to a female Revan and a male Exile (your mileage may vary).

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

For Revan? Not really. For the Exile? Well, it matters more. Mira is better than Hanhaar. Handmaiden is better than Disciple. At least when talking about gameplay benefits. Obsidian simply overreached and got burned for flying to close to the sun... To mix some metaphors...

I never went back and re-rolled after playing it once. Hanharr and Disciple? Evil Wookies don't exist.

joshgotro on
    edited November 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »

I never went back and re-rolled after playing it once. Hanharr and Disciple? Evil Wookies don't exist.

That's just plain racist. I bet they all look like Chewbacca to you, right? ;)

l337CrappyJack on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well no shit it matters in the context of playing KotOR 2, since it dictates the characters you get. But I'm talking about, say, if a KotOR 3 comes around that lets you do the same thing for the Exile. Basically I'm talking fluff for story.

Henroid on
    edited November 2009

Wrong
    RC%20XBox%20Screen%201%20copy.jpg

joshgotro on
    edited November 2009

Wrong
    RC%20XBox%20Screen%201%20copy.jpg

That's even worse. That's like Resident Evil 5 for Wookies.

As the great Wookie Civil Rights leader Malbacca King once said, "GRRRRRROOOOAAARRR".

l337CrappyJack on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's even worse. That's like Resident Evil 5 for Wookies.

As the great Wookie Civil Rights leader Malbacca King once said, "GRRRRRROOOOAAARRR".

Nonsense. Republic Commando wookiees are awesome.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Best four hour romp through SWEU.

joshgotro on
    edited November 2009

Well no shit it matters in the context of playing KotOR 2, since it dictates the characters you get. But I'm talking about, say, if a KotOR 3 comes around that lets you do the same thing for the Exile. Basically I'm talking fluff for story.

That's cute! You presume there might be a KOTOR3!

Anyway... I get what you're saying now. The problem with the way KOTOR2 handled things is that it likely didn't take into account the possibility of a massive delay between games. How it dealt with Revan and the potential motivations of the Exile led to an assumption that we'd follow the Exile to find Revan...

Now what? There's simply too many strange little options in The Sith Lords to simply start a new game and ask 'What was the Exile's gender?' and 'What was the Exile's alignment?' Not to mention the pigeonholing of the rest of the party and their future outcomes. Sometimes it feels like part of the reason we don't have a KOTOR3 is because Obsidian was too clever by half and wrote a story that ended in such a way that there is no satisfactory means for picking up the threads at a later date.

It would be highly likely that any solution in a potential KOTOR3 wouldn't be good enough. And now that we've moved up a generation, you can't just reuse the old art assets either... Like Shenmue 3, KOTOR3 is just a pipe dream at this point.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2009

Translation: Bacta or bowcasters?

Edit -
    That's cute! You presume there might be a KOTOR3!

FUCK YOU I CAN DREAM!

Henroid on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, Ubergeek has the wrongest possible opinions about K2.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There was going to be a KotOR 3. Apparently a year or so ago Lucasarts took a hit though and one of the projects they dropped was that one. :(

EddieDean on
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »
    There was going to be a KotOR 3. Apparently a year or so ago Lucasarts took a hit though and one of the projects they dropped was that one. :(

By take a hit you mean the Clone Wars cartoons started up. And there's no way to make a profitable game out of that mess.

Phoenix1985 on
  • Nihilistic LemonNihilistic Lemon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »

By take a hit you mean the Clone Wars cartoons started up. And there's no way to make a profitable game out of that mess.

I like it. And it seems to be going strong.

Nihilistic Lemon on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, show isn't really all that bad.

Though it loses some of its mystique since you already know how it ends.

Dragkonias on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bioware/Lucasarts have stated that SW:TOR is basically KoTR 3.

No way to know how truthful that is.

Raynaga on
    edited November 2009
    They have to say that. In the same way the rumoured Shenmue MMO was going to be Shenmue 3. KOTOR3 was eliminated when LA decided they would gut themselves as a cost cutting measure. It should say wonders that a company that practically divested itself of all internal development can't seem to find anybody willing to take on a highly anticipated (and likely to sell like a motherfucker in spite of any particular quality) game...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That doesn't sound like a purely marketing comment at all.

Strikor on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

So long as it does enough appropriate name dropping, I'll be happy.

And I'm sure we'll get some related plots too, they're not going to forget the KotOR name for a long while.

EddieDean on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

Too fucking bad, that's all you get. :lol:

Since when is Bioware in the habit of outright lying?

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited November 2009
    I will accept SW:TOR as KotOR 3 if it adds to that whole realm of plot and answers some questions. That's all that matters; I'm not necessarily concerned with the gameplay style (I actually don't like the KotOR games much for just the gameplay elements, aside from Force Powers and the whole deriving from D&D thing).

Henroid on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I will accept SW:TOR as KotOR 3 if it adds to that whole realm of plot and answers some questions. That's all that matters; I'm not necessarily concerned with the gameplay style (I actually don't like the KotOR games much for just the gameplay elements, aside from Force Powers and the whole deriving from D&D thing).

It's a MMORPG pretty much every plot/answer is going to boil down to a raid/fetch quest. Which...I guess happens in normal RPGs, but at least you don't have that jackass mage stealing all your sweet loots on your squad.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a purely marketing comment at all.

Same setting, same developers as the first one. Sounds as close to a sequel as we're going to get.

In fact the more I think of it, the question of it being the continuation of the KotR franchise isn't even a question at all. The only question is if it will do it well.
    Dragkonias wrote: »

It's a MMORPG pretty much every plot/answer is going to boil down to a raid/fetch quest. Which...I guess happens in normal RPGs, but at least you don't have that jackass mage stealing all your sweet loots on your squad.

"Its a FPS, pretty much every level is going to have you getting the blue key for the blue door and the red key for the red door. Oh, and monster closets."

Genre's do evolve, you know. Whether TOR is the game that finally does it, who knows. But its Bioware, they are saying it will, and it is literally described as "this occurs x years after KotR I/II." I don't about anyone else, but as a guy who's played Bioware stuff since the first Baldur's Gate, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Raynaga on
    edited November 2009
    Hmm...if they add Revan armor to the MMO who want to bet that pretty much every douchebag will be wearing it(I know I will! If I played MMOs that is).

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2009

MMORPG's don't have to adhere to a single formula, y'know. And TOR is getting a lot of reputation for being the first plot-heavy, and well done in that regard, MMORPG. You might want to catch up.

Henroid on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm...if they add Revan armor to the MMO who want to bet that pretty much every douchebag will be wearing it(I know I will! If I played MMOs that is).

Actually it looks like they've kind of short-circuited that; the Sith mooks in the cinematic trailer look like they're wearing Revan's mask.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2009

MMORPG's don't have to adhere to a single formula, y'know. And TOR is getting a lot of reputation for being the first plot-heavy, and well done in that regard, MMORPG. You might want to catch up.

Meh, I don't listen to PR speak much. I'll believe it when I see it.

Dragkonias on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of the heavily demoed levels is that of a Sith retaking a warship from the Republic. The mission unfolds in two stages, fighting your way to the bridge and then repelling the Jedi led commando team. There's a moment on the bridge where you get a lightside/darkside choice and that affects how the rest of the mission plays out. All of it is fully voice acted and the characters return (or don't) based on what you do.

There is no 'fetching' involved.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KotorMMO#p/u/8/Omq1ZNkDZyE

manwiththemachinegun on
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I was in third grade, I filled a whole wide ruled composition book with my own idea for a Star Wars RPG. I'd write down story elements, gameplay sections, even some rudimentary rules. At home, I'd play out my ideas with my plastic action figures. I don't think my teachers really understood what I was trying to do, but they let me turn in my updates in lieu of other writing assignments, so I was as happy, as, well, an 8 year old Star Wars fan could be.

I was much older when KOTOR came out, but I remember as soon as I created my character, I was instantly swept back into my childhood. This was the game I had envisioned years ago. I didn't have a lot of patience for games by then. I never completed any RPGs, despite buying a lot of them. Even with its length, I breezed through KOTOR, and even played through it a second time before eventually moving onto something else. Looking back, it was probably the last of my unadulterated gaming experiences, before I took on more real world responsibilities and began to feel jaded and guilty about my hobby. This is probably why I could never get into KOTOR2.

I doubt if I played the game now, I'd feel the same way, but maybe I'll pick it up on Steam once I've cleared out my backlog. I'd love to try KOTOR2 again as well.

thegloaming on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Then... go watch the video where they play through cinematic dialogue, Mass Effect style, as a Sith and proceed to go around defending the Imperial ship from Republic boarders?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2009

There's... there's footage and people who've played the game. And that number is going to increase when the beta starts. o_O

Henroid on
    edited November 2009

Um, you can. There are numerous videos of in-game plots/quests/etc.

If you just want to sit in your preformed opinions rather than actually investigate what you're trying to talk about, I guess that's your choice.

Raynaga on
    edited November 2009
    Meh, those aren't the full game though. Pardon my pessimism, but there have been times in the past where games have gotten a lot of pre-release hype and not lived up to it. So, let me put it this way again, I will believe it when I see it.

Dragkonias on