As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's the [DJ HERO], I'm the Rapper

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Just a quick question for those of you who have the game.

Is ther a "Freestyle" option availible or not? I mean the preselected mixes sound nice but it seams like it would be a whole lot of fun to make up your own mixes on the fly.
    Nope. Not suprising really, as this is the first iteration of the game and the biggest barrier right now is just getting people used to the whole concept in general. It's also why they only went with one turntable with their controller. I suspect it would be in the sequel.

I'm thinking once I get good enough at Expert to 5 star/FC most of the songs well, I'll switch the turntable to the other side and try and do the same from the lefty side. Since FSG did mention they'd like to have double turntable support in the future, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

I'm wondering if Scratch (if it ever comes out) will have some sort of freestyle option. I've got a feeling I might've read something along those lines, but there's a high chance I may have been very tired and making things up.

You didn't hear wrong, Scratch will have an entire Freestyle Mode to do whatever you want. This just came out today too:

http://www.destructoid.com/a-closer-look-at-scratch-the-ultimate-dj-s-turntable-153968.phtml

In all honesty Scratch is the game I want, the controller looks way more fun and the game is focused on hip-hop. I kind of wish it had come out closer to DJ Hero's release so I wouldn't have to wait to see how it turns out before buying one or the other.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Really? Because Scratch the Ultimate DJ looks more like Rock Revolution 2 to me.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't get it. Whats Rock Revolution 2?

Allforce on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Freestyle mode better be pretty impressive, because most of the standard gameplay vids I've seen of Scratch isn't really compelling at all to me. If I want that sort of gameplay, I'll just go with Beatmania or Pop'N Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4svdh9PNIeI&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u20T75OFPoQ&fmt=22

There really isn't any crossfader use or anything there. There's a new preview of the Scratch hardware on Giantbomb here, but they cut that montage back and forth between real DJ setups and the actual controller so quickly that it's really hard to get a good look at how the game controller is actually used, or what's actually part of the controller itself as you might think some of the actual DJ equipment controls they keep cutting to are on the thing.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm rather liking the game. I just don't got the hands to play guitar in these hero games and when it comes to drums. Drumming and using a foot pedal just don't mix in my head. Yet this seems to work pretty well for me so far. Music in the game is rather fun, but I do hope they do add some actual songs to DJ and not do nothing but mash ups. Scratch looks intresting from the previews and for some reason I thought Activision killed that game. Glad to see it appears to still be comming out.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm rather liking the game. I just don't got the hands to play guitar in these hero games and when it comes to drums. Drumming and using a foot pedal just don't mix in my head. Yet this seems to work pretty well for me so far. Music in the game is rather fun, but I do hope they do add some actual songs to DJ and not do nothing but mash ups. Scratch looks intresting from the previews and for some reason I thought Activision killed that game. Glad to see it appears to still be comming out.

I dunno, from those vids Scratch looks closer to Beatmania, which isn't very DJ-ish at all. There's no use of the crossfader at all in those vids despite the presence of it on the controller.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Freestyle mode better be pretty impressive, because most of the standard gameplay vids I've seen of Scratch isn't really compelling at all to me. If I want that sort of gameplay, I'll just go with Beatmania or Pop'N Music.

I'm just in it for the hip-hop, the soundtrack they've release so far sounds awesome. I thought Beatmania and Pop-N-Music were just all J-Pop songs?

The game looks like it could get fun when it's on higher difficulties, tapping out the beat and throwing in your own scratches when you're prompted. Much less "Club DJ Hero" and more just straight old school hip hop DJ style.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Allforce wrote: »

I'm just in it for the hip-hop, the soundtrack they've release so far sounds awesome. I thought Beatmania and Pop-N-Music were just all J-Pop songs?

The game looks like it could get fun when it's on higher difficulties, tapping out the beat and throwing in your own scratches when you're prompted. Much less "Club DJ Hero" and more just straight old school hip hop DJ style.

I'm honestly starting to get bored with the standard rhythm music gameplay standard of "beat indicator drops, tap button," which is why I was so interested in DJ Hero and still enjoy GH and RB. The reason I said I'd go back to the Konami stuff is that if I wanted to play this sort of music game, I already own a bunch of them dating back to the first Playstation.

So while a new soundtrack would be interesting to play against, that would likely not be enough on its own to get me to play a game for very long if it's something I've already done so many times before.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gotcha.

Well it's all new to me, any game that features Gangstarr, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Eric B & Rakim, and various other awesome hip hop acts from the early 90's (before the entire genre went downhill) is gonna get my attention.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tried the demo at best buy, holy crap is that hard. the slider was the hardest part for me because i would over shoot and fuck up.. i think the lines of color threw me at first. the scratching was fun but the set i was playing on was uncalibrated so it was tough to time right on shorter parts.
    it is fun but i barely managed one star each song; good songs though.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I finished all the mixes on Medium last night, now I can comfortably chip away at Hard. I'd done the first three or four sets already at about halfway through my Medium run, but the ramp-up was so sudden I felt it would be better to finish it out on one difficulty before trying to settle into a harder one. I think I'm going to agree that Bring the Noise vs Genesis is my favorite mix. Semi-Charmed Life vs I Want You Back is a very close second, though.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I haven't been able to find a single online matchup (on PS3) and it's driving me nuts... all the trophies I need left except 2 are online ones, heh.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find a single online matchup (on PS3) and it's driving me nuts... all the trophies I need left except 2 are online ones, heh.

I have the PS3 version as well...maybe we should just schedule some matches at some point to get through them. :lol:

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

I have the PS3 version as well...maybe we should just schedule some matches at some point to get through them. :lol:

I'd definitely be up for that... my PSN is FiddleHumper.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got through the Daft Punk set. Fucking awesome.

Houn on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not that far but I liked the Hi My Name Is / Loser mix was pretty awesome :D

Can't wait to get to the Daft Punk List though

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That comment about the Giant Bomb video and how they rapidly cut between actual DJ hardware and the controller for Scratch sounds right; I was under the impression from the video that the turntable actually, you know, turned, as in was at least belt driven or something, but those to youtube videos posted didn't seem to indicate that. I dunno. The drum/sample machine looks like a bit much.

I know the Scratch controller has a crossfader, but indeed none of the music showed any use of it. Maybe it's their for you to just kinda work into the music as you see fit, which is a position I like.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So are they going to release a soundtrack for all the songs. The songs i'm hearing on youtube are ace.

Karl on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    I don't get it. Whats Rock Revolution 2?

The sequel to Rock Revolution.

Evander on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, this is quite peculiar: Apparently used copies of the game are already appearing in GameStops, and the system for whatever reason is selling those used copies at $59.99 on all platforms! Confirmed on CAG a few times; I'm assuming it's some kind of system typo or confusion, but if you can somehow find it at your GameStop, enjoy the savings!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just hope that whatever used controller you end up with isn't broken in any way, since Gamestop only does basic cursory examinations of stuff people trade back in. "Yeah, all the controls appear to work a few minutes in, it's good."

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Well, this is quite peculiar: Apparently used copies of the game are already appearing in GameStops, and the system for whatever reason is selling those used copies at $59.99 on all platforms! Confirmed on CAG a few times; I'm assuming it's some kind of system typo or confusion, but if you can somehow find it at your GameStop, enjoy the savings!

It could be a typo or glitch, but these tend to be isolated and fixed relatively quickly. No, given Gamestop's annoyance at getting clogged with boatloads of used guitars in the wake of GH/RB, I'd guess the low price is to ensure the thing moves quickly and doesn't take up too much valuable space that could be taken up by a dozen or so games per unit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just hope that whatever used controller you end up with isn't broken in any way, since Gamestop only does basic cursory examinations of stuff people trade back in. "Yeah, all the controls appear to work a few minutes in, it's good."

what do you expect, with the rates that they pay their workers?

You have a month long return policy if it doesn't work right.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

gonna check mine just in case

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CAG is also reporting that the trade-in value, of either SKU, is only $40. So there's even less point than normal trading it in, but for the few suckers who do, Gamestop will likely make a very quick $20.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    CAG is also reporting that the trade-in value, of either SKU, is only $40. So there's even less point than normal trading it in, but for the few suckers who do, Gamestop will likely make a very quick $20.

That shouldn't be surprising. Still... wow.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Considering the history of video game music games there probably isn't a huge demand for resales in the long run. I'm sure Gamestops nation wide don't want to be wall papering their stores with turn tables as time goes on.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have decided that there are entirely too many mixes with Disturbia in them in this game.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That's ice cold, even for GameStop. Still, if you can find it used for $60, you can benefit from someone else's fiscal irresponsibility! Considering Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and the ton of other huge-profile games coming out this month and next, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a few of these bad boys turn up used.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2009

That's ice cold, even for GameStop. Still, if you can find it used for $60, you can benefit from someone else's fiscal irresponsibility! Considering Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and the ton of other huge-profile games coming out this month and next, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a few of these bad boys turn up used.

Actually, I'd just wait for the inevitable retail fire sale, which will very likely push down Gamestop's used prices even more. And I'm shocked as to how many people still sell their video games to Gamestop for next to nothing, considering how long they've been paying dick.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Actually, I'd just wait for the inevitable retail fire sale, which will very likely push down Gamestop's used prices even more. And I'm shocked as to how many people still sell their video games to Gamestop for next to nothing, considering how long they've been paying dick.

Oh, yeah, totally. I meant more for people interested in grabbing it now. I think $60 is a pretty fair price for a DJ rhythm game with controller; I'm pretty sure I won't be picking it up at any price, though, partially because I still feel the burning shame of spending $80 on Beatmania USA years ago, but mostly because if I come home with yet another giant plastic video game instrument, my wife is going to use it to beat me to death.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, yeah, totally. I meant more for people interested in grabbing it now. I think $60 is a pretty fair price for a DJ rhythm game with controller; I'm pretty sure I won't be picking it up at any price, though, partially because I still feel the burning shame of spending $80 on Beatmania USA years ago, but mostly because if I come home with yet another giant plastic video game instrument, my wife is going to use it to beat me to death.

I'm laughing and empathizing at the same time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, for what it's worth, the footprint of the turntable is about that of an arcade stick.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Well, for what it's worth, the footprint of the turntable is about that of an arcade stick.

Yep, won't take much room at all.

So where the hell are the cheat codes for this game? I want to try out the hyperspeed and hamster style options.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    god damn i am about to cave and buy this

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think $60 is a pretty fair price for a DJ rhythm game with controller.

Really? $60 for a game with a peripheral is almost never a fair price. However, $120 is too much for most, I agree. I would say the sweet spot is $80 or $90. It's a very solid peripheral.

Houn wrote:
    I have decided that there are entirely too many mixes with Disturbia in them in this game.

I have decided there are not enough mixes with "Disturbia" in it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote:

I have decided there are not enough mixes with "Disturbia" in it.

Me too... the Disturbia mixes are awesome.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess I'm in the minority. I didn't like Disturbia to begin with, though.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i am such a whore
    loving it so far, but my crossfading is really sloppy. i feel like i'd do better if it were two separate switches so i don't do it too hard and fuck myself up.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    for the achievement where you play a mix with a mic plugged in, i guess it means like a rock band mic right? because i plugged in my headset and did a few mixes, nothing

Local H Jay on