As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

1596061626365»

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lifetime subs got 3 14 day trial keys to hand out.

there was a free weekend that just ended.

that's it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

that's it.

oh god, lifetime subscriptions only? lame, alright

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

that's it.

oh god, lifetime subscriptions only? lame, alright

I, too, fail to see how that makes any sense whatsoever. How is giving out keys that benefit the game as a whole a perk? :?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited November 2009
    uh to limit how many are given out

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cryptic/atari (mostly atari) have failed pretty spectacularly at marketing this game

both prior to release and on an ongoing basis

Akinos and I are pretty much the reason the PA community for this game exists, otherwise it would probably have just farted off the first page and people would've forgotten it

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    uh to limit how many are given out

They're worried too many people will play Champions?

If they are worried about a sudden surge of 14-day trials (seems unlikely), they could just stagger the release of keys.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited November 2009
    seriously cryptic seems to be all over ways to milk more money from their existing customer base (lifetime subscriptions! microtransactions! whoooo!) but doesn't seem to be doing much to actually get more subscribers.

free weekends are bad. trial keys are good. turning your playerbase into a "street team" who actively recruit their friends is better than "hey guys everybody log on this weekend so you can rape our server architecture and make it look like our game is run on a 486 in our mom's basement!"

i like this game and i want it to succeed but the people in marketing are a bunch of retarded monkeys

listen i am pretty sure that i personally, with the help of my man Akinos, have done more to promote this game on this forum than any ads for this game any of you might've seen.

Pony on
  • wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    seriously cryptic seems to be all over ways to milk more money from their existing customer base (lifetime subscriptions! microtransactions! whoooo!) but doesn't seem to be doing much to actually get more subscribers.

free weekends are bad. trial keys are good. turning your playerbase into a "street team" who actively recruit their friends is better than "hey guys everybody log on this weekend so you can rape our server architecture and make it look like our game is run on a 486 in our mom's basement!"

i like this game and i want it to succeed but the people in marketing are a bunch of retarded monkeys

listen i am pretty sure that i personally, with the help of my man Akinos, have done more to promote this game on this forum than any ads for this game any of you might've seen.

I completely agree -- Cryptic owes a big thanks to Pony and Akinos should get some Kudos from management for what they have done for the Champions Community. I also think they should jsut give active subscribers 5 keys a month to share with friends -- 5 days of playtime or something. Better than the free weekend -- which crushed their servers. I think the free weekend was a good idea -- let people play a good game, but they couldn't handle the demand and got bad press from people claiming the game was already dying.

wolfgangpg on
    edited November 2009
    cryptic also seems completely ignorant of how loud people are about hating Bill Roper

like they blame the man entirely for Hellgate's failure

and consider Champions doomed just because he's involved with it

yet, he's the face they keep putting out there to promote their game and shit, and he doesn't really do a great job of it

i'm not saying that everybody hates bill roper or even that these people make up a majority view

but the people who do exist (mostly ex-Hellgate players, including some Hellgate lifetime subscribers) are loud and Cryptic doesn't seem to take this into account like at all

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    cryptic also seems completely ignorant of how loud people are about hating Bill Roper

like they blame the man entirely for Hellgate's failure

and consider Champions doomed just because he's involved with it

yet, he's the face they keep putting out there to promote their game and shit, and he doesn't really do a great job of it

i'm not saying that everybody hates bill roper or even that these people make up a majority view

but the people who do exist (mostly ex-Hellgate players, including some Hellgate lifetime subscribers) are loud and Cryptic doesn't seem to take this into account like at all

Another excellent point. I read massively.com and every post about Champions has at least 1 comment with "CO is fail because of Roper" or "Typical dumb idea because of Roper". I think Roper is a smart guy with one failed game and is taking a lot of heat. They should put someone else out there as the face of CO like Emmert or....

wolfgangpg on
    edited November 2009
    Plus WoW just added RMT pets $10 a pet. They are selling two pets. If you buy both for $20 (or 1 for $10), $5 goes to make a wish foundation until 1/1/2010 then all the money goes to Blizz.

Funny watching people who bashed CO accept that WoW is doing it.

wolfgangpg on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    But... but... charity!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2009
    wolfgangpg wrote: »
    Plus WoW just added RMT pets $10 a pet. They are selling two pets. If you buy both for $20 (or 1 for $10), $5 goes to make a wish foundation until 1/1/2010 then all the money goes to Blizz.

Funny watching people who bashed CO accept that WoW is doing it.

$10.. for a.. pretend pet? That is ridiculous.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

hi5

Sorry I haven't been around much guys, some pretty serious life has been happening.

I've been in the trenches working on some critter stuff for November and beyond.

My man Ame (you may have seen him on the official forums) is meticulously going over powers right now, should be some good stuff coming from that.

Akinos on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

that's it.

They did just send out 14 day trial keys along with the blood moon weekend emails awhile back though, hell they sent me a 14 day buddy key and i wasn't even subscribed at the time

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There needs to be an incentive of some sort for players to get their friends in on trials/referrals when they subequently subscribe. Seriously. People would be all over that shit.

And, yes... having free weekends when your servers crash the same way they crashed the weekend before the free weekend doesn't look good at all. I realize they're having growing pains, but
    In that instance, people need to get over it.

Speaking of getting over it... shouldn't there be a new thread by now?

GungHo on
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    There needs to be an incentive of some sort for players to get their friends in on trials/referrals when they subequently subscribe. Seriously. People would be all over that shit.

Yeah. Every month give subscribers a few keys to give to friends. If that friend signs up deposit 240 cryptic points into that the current subscriber's account so they can buy stuff off the c-store.

wolfgangpg on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the worry is people just playing the game for free over and over with different emails each time.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2009
    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    I've been in the trenches working on some critter stuff for November and beyond. My man Ame (you may have seen him on the official forums) is meticulously going over powers right now, should be some good stuff coming from that.
    So in your opinion, how hard would it be to transition CO into a system where all the missions and critters scale to your level? It just makes more sense to me, after reading Pony's posts about it.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
This discussion has been closed.