As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 2: Electric Goddamn Boogaloo

EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
21aizjp.jpg

You all know exactly what this game is. It has multiplayer. Come play with us.

Forum Name / PSN Name
==========================

CoolJammer00/ JohnDarc
THEPAIN73 / thepain73
Threepio / rogerwilco
The_Scarab / SomeBug
darkenedwing / InfinitePie
Kyougu / Brownchiclets
Malechai / Malechai
Carbonfire / Carb0nFire
LCDXX / LCDXX
BladeOfSanjuro / BladeOfSanjuro
SimpsonsParadox / SimpsonsParadox
MarioG / MarioGuzman
Ah_Pook / Ah_Pook
Mr_Grinch / sirgrinchx
Dashui / Vacorsis
Forestd / Forestd
MikeLordofPants / MikeLordofPants
John Zoidberg / Stiff_Ninja
Phekno / Phekno
Feldorn / mortenya
Antihippy / Antiwhippy
MagicPrime / MagicPrime
pyromaniac221 / forkninja
Egos / Indrik
Radikal_Dreamer / RDreamer
Lagnar / Sugnar
Bad Karma / orneryrooster
Sivraj / Degojin
FanciestWalnut / Fanciestwalnut
Aumni / Aumni
Spoit / Spoit
Buster Blade / Buster Blade
Kuratosu / Leeway0
EvilMonkey / SciencePiggy
bficky / BFicky
A Half Eaten Oreo / Half_Eaten_Oreo
fmz65 / fmz65
wenchkilla / dragoniemx
DesertChicken / DesertChicken
Doctor Fink / Doctor_Fink
CoJoeTheLawyer / CoJoe
Bullfrogof7272 / Bullfrogof7272
blikbok / blikbok
Muddy Water / muddywater009
Kroyd Krenson / CroydCrenson
Zorak15 / GunsmithCat
Kiz / Kiz-ziK
TheBenjomonster / Thebenjomonster
wanthony / grie
xta / rexamadex
SanguineAngel / Burfman
Professor Snugglesworth / SOLDIER <review>
McCly / McCly
ZeroNow / ZeroNow
The_Spaniard / Span_Wolf
Zenitram / TheZenitram
Johannen / Johannen
Mifio / SgtMifio
Mego Thor / MegoThor

PM me to get your name on this list.

Wait, was is Uncharted 2 you ask? Why, it's only one of the best PS3 games of the year -- possibly of the generation.

According to a reliable, academically researched website,
Wikipedia wrote:
Uncharted 2 is an action-adventure game played from a third-person perspective, with the player in control of Nathan Drake. Nathan is physically adept and is able to jump, climb, and scale narrow ledges and wall faces to get between points. Nathan can be equipped with up to two firearms—one single-handed and one two-handed—and a limited supply of grenades; Nathan can pick up weapons, automatically replacing the existing weapon he was using, and additional ammunition from killed foes. The player can direct Nathan to take cover behind corners or low walls using either aimed or blind-fire to kill his enemies. The player can also have Nathan fire while moving. If Nathan is undetected by his enemies, the player can attempt to use stealth to take out enemies, such as by sneaking up behind them to knock them out with one hit, or by pulling an unsuspecting foe over a ledge that Nathan is hanging from. Some areas of the game require the player to solve a puzzle with the use of Nathan's diary that provides clues towards its solution. When enabled, a hint system provides the player direction of where their next objective is.

Throughout the game are special treasures that may be hidden or in difficult-to-reach places that the player can collect. Collecting these treasures, along with completing certain feats within the game, tracked by the awarding of Trophies, give the player in-game money to use to unlock extra content on the disc, including concept art, game movies, and game cheats such as guns with infinite ammunition.

tl;dr: It is about killing mans while you hide behind a rock

It also has some pretty decent reviews. Apparently people who put numbers on games feel that this game warrants a rather high number.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/uncharted2amongthieves

Honestly though, if you need more media or more reason to buy this game, just google it. Or ask! The multiplayer is pretty lag-free and we have a chatroom. Yes, a chatroom! On the PSN! Once you're invited to join, you can join whenever and chat with us about the game (or, indeed, other games!). It's how we coordinate most of our multiplayer.

So play with us, or buy the game and play with yourself. We won't judge.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
EggyToast on

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Beat me to it! Oh well, as long as we have a new one.

Have I told you guys how good the platinum feels? Because it feels good.

Nice first title for the thread, too. :^:

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I actually lost momentum going for my platinum, since chapter, what, 22? the monastery? is SO LONG. It's still faster than the first run because you know where the guardians are actually going to get you, but still, there's a lot of damn fights in that first monastery chapter, and a lot of moving around. I mean, I like that there's some real guts to it, and the difficulty of the enemies gives it a nice challenge on the new set pieces compared to earlier chapters, but it's SOOOO long.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have not been humiliated by anyone on that list, I am glad of that...
    However tonight SUCKED since i was on the little tv and was having trouble getting the groove. I seriously wasn't getting any kills except by pure luck.

useless4 on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would like to welcome our new thread masters with a PA round of plunder. Blood for the goddamn blood gods.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Was is Uncharted 2?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ElKaboomElKaboom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait...there's a PSN chat-room for PA?! WUT?!

ElKaboom on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn, this series will punish you for being dumb and trying to be Rambo.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

oddly enough, rambo moments sometimes work. especially running out and getting the GAU

xta on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    xta wrote: »

oddly enough, rambo moments sometimes work. especially running out and getting the GAU

I saw an LP of UC1 many moons ago. At that part of the game, being Rambo is sort of required and I get the feeling I'm going to die horribly.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Uncharted 2 makes me believe in fate.

From the beginnings of this world, and all the events that have unfolded thereafter, the extinction of the dinosaurs, the birth of Jesus (who is the Christ), the fall of the Roman Empire, the American Revolution and Napoleonic Wars, World War II and the fall of the Third Reich, the moon landing, 9/11...everything in our planet's history, all the bad and all the good, has been so perfectly orchestrated by some unknown-to-me outside force, an elegant symphony by our creator to ensure that, despite all the hardships our species will have been through, in the tenth month of the Year Of Our Lord 2009 we will receive the gracious bounty of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

I, for one, feel a tremendous gratitude to be alive during this period of ultimate enlightenment.
    Obvious hyperbole but seriously this game is goddamn amazing and if you don't like it you must be full of hatred and self-loathing and also shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wasn't a huge fan of the first Uncharted, but I enjoyed it well enough. I didn't expect to like UC 2 as much as I do. In fact, up until chapter 20 or so, I was ready to pronounce it my game of the year, based solely on the single player.

But the tail end of the game pulls the same dumb shit the first one did. Suddenly you're facing waves upon waves of bulletsponges, that rush out of every crevice and are able to one-shot you. Fuck that noise. The whole monastery courtyard segment was so fucking asinine; snipers surrounding you from all sides, very few safe places, respawn at the beginning, etc. I beat it by staying in the same place throughout the fight, and I ultimately felt that that whole chapter was completely at odds with how the game had presented itself up to that point. Poor, poor design that went on for far too long, and definitely affected my overall impression. Especially since the game had been doing so well.

I swear, who the fuck is going to complain that the game doesn't have enough people to shoot? Why did they feel the need to regress? Shit, I even kind of liked the stealth segment at the beginning. Such a shame.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, new thread smell. Good stuff.

I truly believe this is my GOTY.

I was going to say Ghostbusters, but then this... this is what it's all about.

This game is going to define what this generation of gaming is all about.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Played Survival for the first time this week with Malechai. That shit gets hectic! (read "fun")

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Muttonchops, sorry my game dropped with you guys a couple days ago. It wouldn't let me back on.

Would love to play again sometime.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

I truly believe this is my GOTY.

Amen brother.

With all due respects to Batman: AA (which is good so far, but not holy sh*t great). Uncharted 2 has been the best game I've purchased this year, and maybe the best I've purchased for the PS3. I would expect all the typical talking heads in the media to agree with me on this point.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If this game doesnt win GOTY, the reviewers are crazy.

I beat the game on hard and played some Multi, now im forcing myself not to go through crushing just yet since i have so many other games to play and if i play through it a third time in such a small period i probably wont feel quite so interested in going back for awhile, and I want to show it off when i visit family at X-mas anyway.

When ive got dragon age and borderlands beat I have Halo : ODST and CoD 4 still in the celophane wrapper to play through + a little more Ratchet and clank....by that time it will be xmas...so many games , so little time. Shit im not even thinking about LFD2 or anything else coming out between now and then..

Also, yes Batman is great. In another year Id say it had the fun factor to win GOTY...but Uncharted is batman fun in a polished to mirror shine package.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just want to say that Survival, when you have people with mics, fully cooperating and playing together as a team is FUCKING AMAZING.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I love me some arena. Seems like I've been playing it too much though from the beatings I took last night. Still can't get enough of it.
    azith28 wrote: »
    If this game doesnt win GOTY, the reviewers are crazy.

I beat the game on hard and played some Multi, now im forcing myself not to go through crushing just yet since i have so many other games to play and if i play through it a third time in such a small period i probably wont feel quite so interested in going back for awhile, and I want to show it off when i visit family at X-mas anyway.

I'd say get your crushing run out of the way and when the family is in town show it off on easy difficulty so you can blaze through it. Nothing can kill a movie faster than watching the same part 3 times in a row.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I invited about 3 new PA guys from the last thread to be mah friends last night, and once they accept I'll get them into the chat room. For anyone who isn't in the Uncharted 2 chat room, just send me a friend request. I've got lots of space on my list and don't mind culling people who haven't played in the last month. Cos really, that means they haven't played Uncharted 2, and you can't really call yourself a PS3 owner if you don't have this game ;D

We also had some pretty good games last night, sadly all losses in the end. We had some good runs and some very near misses, but I felt better that we were generally up against some pretty good people. I also killed a hell of a lot of people so I still made some moolah, so it wasn't all bad.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We'd be better at plunder if we knew where all the treasure spawn points were so we could camp them :x

As it stands the only spawn points I have memorized are for the Hammer and the Desert-5 :twisted:

A couple of us managed to finish some Survival last night. Much money was enjoyed by all.

I'll be playing this game exclusively until the 20th, so let's continue to shoot mans.

adytum on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 are hands down my favorite PS3 games. In fact, I'd say both games are in my personal favorites list of all time. There are very few games which have brought me as much joy as this series.

From the very first moments of Uncharted 2, I probably had a shit eating grin on my face the whole way through. When Nate was hanging off the train, he climbs up 3 rungs and something breaks, I was just giddy with glee.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I invited about 3 new PA guys from the last thread to be mah friends last night, and once they accept I'll get them into the chat room. For anyone who isn't in the Uncharted 2 chat room, just send me a friend request. I've got lots of space on my list and don't mind culling people who haven't played in the last month. Cos really, that means they haven't played Uncharted 2, and you can't really call yourself a PS3 owner if you don't have this game ;D

We also had some pretty good games last night, sadly all losses in the end. We had some good runs and some very near misses, but I felt better that we were generally up against some pretty good people. I also killed a hell of a lot of people so I still made some moolah, so it wasn't all bad.

Yeah, it's too bad we lost all those plunder matches, because they were damn fun. There's no way to do a plunder only, right? If not, that should be an option. They take a while but it seems like they are the most team-based competitive mode (which I like).

I'm gonna start looking for a bluetooth headset so I can contribute. I do have an old SOCOM PS2 USB headset, that'll work in the meantime, right?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    bficky wrote: »

Yeah, it's too bad we lost all those plunder matches, because they were damn fun. There's no way to do a plunder only, right? If not, that should be an option. They take a while but it seems like they are the most team-based competitive mode (which I like).

I'm gonna start looking for a bluetooth headset so I can contribute. I do have an old SOCOM PS2 USB headset, that'll work in the meantime, right?

Should work. That last round in Ice cave where we went from 4-2 to 4-5 real quick drove me insane. Gona have to check the replay later to try and figure out if it was just bad luck on the spawns or if there was just something I/we missed.

Also I find my self hesitant to talk stratagy in a competetive game cause you never know if there is an enemy around the corner that would overhear you.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 are hands down my favorite PS3 games. In fact, I'd say both games are in my personal favorites list of all time. There are very few games which have brought me as much joy as this series.

From the very first moments of Uncharted 2, I probably had a shit eating grin on my face the whole way through. When Nate was hanging off the train, he climbs up 3 rungs and something breaks, I was just giddy with glee.

I was laughing through the whole intro level...its like 'what else can they do to this guy' "floor collapses" "explosion" "hanging from a cliff AGAIN".

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Malechai wrote: »

Should work. That last round in Ice cave where we went from 4-2 to 4-5 real quick drove me insane. Gona have to check the replay later to try and figure out if it was just bad luck on the spawns or if there was just something I/we missed.

Also I find my self hesitant to talk stratagy in a competetive game cause you never know if there is an enemy around the corner that would overhear you.

Huh. I never knew that enemies would be able to overhear you talk to your teammates by being close to you. That makes it harder, but I like it.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Malechai wrote: »

They just fanned out and brought it back, and we were spawning way back at our capture point so we couldn't rush up to meet them. When I capped it for our #4, I was hoping y'all would rush up to the middle -- instead I turned around and we were all in our base, which is how I figure they got #3 -- we couldn't move up fast enough to get to them because we were all in one spot. The rest, though, they got some lucky spawns and had like 3 people on their team who were just focused on killing us.

Still, plunder (or "neutral flag" if you want to be old school") is probably one of the most entertaining ones. KotH is too reliant on which team knows the good weapon spawns, IMO ;D

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Still, plunder (or "neutral flag" if you want to be old school") is probably one of the most entertaining ones. KotH is too reliant on which team knows the good weapon spawns, IMO ;D

Yeah... about that. I have no idea where any of the weapon spawns are. I just need to play more, or find some maps on the internet showing the locations.

bficky on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah... about that. I have no idea where any of the weapon spawns are. I just need to play more, or find some maps on the internet showing the locations.

The problem with KoTH is that there is no timer as to when the hill will shift. It drives me bonkers when I'll fight tooth & nail to make it to a hill location, dodge grenade spams, only for it to shift across the map a split-second before I can claim it.

As for weapon spawns, all you really need to know is where to get the M4, the SAS, the Hammer and the Pistole on each map (as applicable). Everything else is garbage, or in such abundance that even an idiot could find them.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Uncharted 1 is freezing on me now.

annoyed.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I notice I'm still not on the OP list, even though you and I have played together.

While you're adding me in, you could perhaps add in my review of the game, which went up last week.

Yeah, I conformed. And I don't regret it either.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Snugs, that's cos your name is so different. And SOLDIER is kind of generic, so it's easy to forget. Right? I'll add you now, though.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not to brag, but I scored 21 kills on the Plaza map during a Sniper Rifle & Pistole Deathmatch earlier tonight. I love it when I can mow down the opposing team because they forget that someone can sneak behind thier beloved sniper line and pistole/melee then to death.

Certified bad-ass motherfucker

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nice cojoe

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not to brag, but I scored 21 kills on the Plaza map during a Sniper Rifle & Pistole Deathmatch earlier tonight. I love it when I can mow down the opposing team because they forget that someone can sneak behind thier beloved sniper line and pistole/melee then to death.

Oh yeah? Well in my Sniper/Pistole run tonight, I could overhear the opposing team as they were freaking out as I dominated them. I would cap about four of them in a row before running off or taking the entire group to put me down. I was spoken of like some sort of sniping god. :lol:

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am sad I lent this game to my brother-in-law. I was away for a week and lent my game to him. But now I'm back and I'm Uncharted2less. (I will see him on Sunday and hope to get it back from him them)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I got 24 doing the same thing. It feels so good to stealth kill a sniper

Algertman on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    does deathmatch (the first option) have the gameset for pistole/sniper, rpg, pistol/grenades? i think in the retail i've only seen these specific weapon modes in the all modes option

i know in the demo, i would see pistole/sniper, pistol/grenades a lot in the 'deathmatch' option. i ask since every time i do regular deathmatch, i get whatever stage and regular weapons. i miss playing all rpg mode haha

xta on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the easiest way to get the GAU trophy? What chapter should I be playing it in?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get the GAU trophy? What chapter should I be playing it in?

You know in the SP store you can buy weapons right. As long as your on a chapter that you have cleared on your current difficulty or harder you can spawn any weapon you have paid for.
    xta wrote: »
    does deathmatch (the first option) have the gameset for pistole/sniper, rpg, pistol/grenades? i think in the retail i've only seen these specific weapon modes in the all modes option

i know in the demo, i would see pistole/sniper, pistol/grenades a lot in the 'deathmatch' option. i ask since every time i do regular deathmatch, i get whatever stage and regular weapons. i miss playing all rpg mode haha

The special DM will show up from time to time in match making to be voted on. Along with elimination.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm late to the party. Doing the Brutal Legend thing and all.

This game makes me want to buy lots and lots of blue-firey resin. I'll put that shit in my fireplace.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767