As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: There may be dragons... and rats, too!

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Could anyone confirm that they can craft in camp with success on the PC?

Anyone? I refuse to believe that I can't craft in camp when the fuckers are standing right in front of me.

Yes you can craft but as far as I can tell only with your main character.

Thanks koro. That's a pretty big oversight considering you can trade equipment and gifts but not utilise their skills. Not to mention the enchanter in the camp seems to have a similar issue. Will only see my equipment to enchant.

*edit* Never mind. Just noticed rune slots in that case.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, exploits.

I haven't been able to confirm these for myself. I just saw them on the GameFAQs boards.

XP
    During the initiation quest, get the 3 vials of blood but don't go to the temple to get the treaties. Go back to Duncan and tell him you got the blood. Supposedly he'll tell you to go get the treaties, but you'll get experience for completing the quest. You can then do the conversation over and over.

Gold
    In Redcliff, I believe, you can apparently get a merchant or innkeeper or someone to join the militia and some woman will take over selling his stuff. Supposedly she doesn't actually charge for the stuff. You can buy crystals or something, go sell them to the blacksmith and then come back to buy more. Rinse, repeat.

Gold
    I got the tavern keepr to join the militia and the girl took over. I can grab anything from her store for free but honest there aren't that many things to take. A few potions, a few recipes, that was it.

notagame on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    notagame wrote: »
    Quick question, if a party member is knocked out in a fight, will he still get exp?

Also is there any good way to make money besides selling loot and doing quests? Will buying ingredients to make potions then selling the potions net me a profit? I see so many goodies I want to buy but I just don't have any money. And I don't even buy potions or weapon/armor. I really really want to buy those books that gives extra skill points/talent points and the extra back packs.

I think at least the lowest-end potions can turn a profit if you find - or maybe even buy - the ingredients and then make them into potions.

However making traps will destroy your wallet. Making traps by buying the ingredients - 'cause you're sure as hell not going to find many out in the wild - is way more expensive than simply buying the completed trap itself. It's ludicrous and is an oversight I'd like to see fixed one way or the other really quickly.

Not surprising, when they introduced the craft trap skill in neverwinter nights (sotu expansion?) it was basically a free money skill, as traps sold for many times the cost of ingredients. The server I played on had to change the resell value to zero because SOME TERRIBLE PERSON was spamming the skill so much it lagged the server

<.<

>.>

Likely an effort to prevent that from happening, as it makes money meaningless in game.

Well the thing is that unless the camp merchant has an unending stock of crafting materials, it's actually kind of difficult to find enough stuff to make traps even for your own use. Every town merchant I come across always has a (very) limited stock.

Also where the hell is this update people keep talking about? Nowhere on Bioware's site do I see any information on it and there is, bafflingly, no auto-updater in the launcher.

Is the supply of purchasable traps also limited? Maybe they are concerned about trap spam (if that is possible, haven't tried the trap mechanic yet and I'm just speculating at random while at work) I imagine it would be annoying to find that out after having spent the points in the skill.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Welp. I've pretty much been boycotting this thread for at least the past 6 months now. Guess I'll likely get the game tomorrow and join in with the rest of you guys. I've heard something about overheating issues though, what's that about? Is it widespread? Does it affect specific cards / setups?
    It is not a problem with the game. Dust-clogged heatsinks and fans can cause overheating in any game.

grrarg on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    This is the first game I installed onto my 360 HDD. Load times were getting on my nerves along with the stuttering.

Also, a couple of things.

There's no obvious LIGHT/DARK path. At least so far in my game. But I'm playing a nice guy, doing things for people and turning down the reward. Or in the case of a certain prisoner, didn't kill him to get the poop key but instead talked the guard into giving him some food. Does this go towards any stat or renown? XP boost?

Are there many side quests? Granted, I'm not far, but someone mentioned that there were none, yet I've come across a few small ones.

Sheep on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which site's review would you guys recommend I read to get my information fix? (Console)

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    notagame wrote: »
    So, exploits.

I haven't been able to confirm these for myself. I just saw them on the GameFAQs boards.

XP
    During the initiation quest, get the 3 vials of blood but don't go to the temple to get the treaties. Go back to Duncan and tell him you got the blood. Supposedly he'll tell you to go get the treaties, but you'll get experience for completing the quest. You can then do the conversation over and over.

Gold
    In Redcliff, I believe, you can apparently get a merchant or innkeeper or someone to join the militia and some woman will take over selling his stuff. Supposedly she doesn't actually charge for the stuff. You can buy crystals or something, go sell them to the blacksmith and then come back to buy more. Rinse, repeat.

Gold
    I got the tavern keepr to join the militia and the girl took over. I can grab anything from her store for free but honest there aren't that many things to take. A few potions, a few recipes, that was it.

Do you have the DLC? Maybe that's a condition for it being worth anything?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    This is the first game I installed onto my 360 HDD. Load times were getting on my nerves along with the stuttering.

There's no obvious LIGHT/DARK path. At least so far in my game. But I'm playing a nice guy, doing things for people and turning down the reward. Or in the case of a certain prisoner, didn't kill him to get the poop key but instead talked the guard into giving him some food. Does this go towards any stat or renown? XP boost?

Are there many side quests? Granted, I'm not far, but someone mentioned that there were none, yet I've come across a few small ones.

Being nice is just being nice. There's no morality bar in this game.

Also, it probably pisses off bitchy emo mage.

kildy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've been making a lot of my decisions based off how my party members will feel about it. Thankfully, the game doesn't just put something like

"Give me all your money for services rendered (MORRIGAN WILL APPROVE OF THIS)"

so it's up to me to intelligently aim for the best options. And of course it gets more complex when you're trying to juggle the approval of multiple characters.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Whoever said there weren't sidequests is an idiot. Like big time. You get them as soon as you step into Ostagar.

As for being nice - nope. Only thing you have to suffer is potentially losing respect from companions based on your actions.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    kildy wrote: »

Being nice is just being nice. There's no morality bar in this game.

Also, it probably pisses off bitchy emo mage.

When she said (early game humor spoilz)
    "So I take it we're going to solve every problem in this village personally?"

I just laughed.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so it's up to me to intelligently aim for the best options. And of course it gets more complex when you're trying to juggle the approval of multiple characters.
    Or just take along three characters with roughly the same moral compass.

Or two similar characters and the dog.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

There are a LOT of optional quest like things and small quests via a job board system. I'm still fairly early in the game, so there may be more.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ED! wrote: »

Whoever said there weren't sidequests is an idiot. Like big time. You get them as soon as you step into Ostagar.

As for being nice - nope. Only thing you have to suffer is potentially losing respect from companions based on your actions.

If you've somehow managed to avoid the initial sidequests, ten minutes in Denerrim will have your Quest Log packed to the brim with shit to do.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only bonuses to being nice/mercenary/evil is getting characters in your party to like you. They then get stat bonuses from how much they like/are inspired by you.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Final question: Soundtrack, is it good?

That's pretty much the only real thing I see going for the Special Edition. Added in items I'm not too keen on, and "making of" featurettes are usually really short and not all that insightfu (although I'll be happy to be called wrong on that point here).

subedii on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yes but it also won't let you have a threeway.

yes it will

I think I read you can have up to a foursome

WHAT

WHAT PROOF OF THIS

SPOILERS: http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703222&forum=145

SPOILERS question.
    WTF is "Hardened"?
    My guess? Just another way of saying 'mercenary', 'less idealistic', 'cynical', that kind of thing.
    Basically, if I understand correctly, whenever a character has a crisis of faith, just lead them down the less idealistic path and they'll become... well, less idealistic.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yes but it also won't let you have a threeway.

yes it will

I think I read you can have up to a foursome

WHAT

WHAT PROOF OF THIS

SPOILERS: http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703222&forum=145

SPOILERS question.
    WTF is "Hardened"?

:winky::winky:

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haha, After I started playing this for a bit I realized that my Mass Effect character and my Dragon Age character look almost identical.
    I can't wait to get someone strong enough to use the ME2/DA:O armor item I got.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The only bonuses to being nice/mercenary/evil is getting characters in your party to like you. They then get stat bonuses from how much they like/are inspired by you.

or dislike you.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, exploits.

Gold

I just tried this one. It doesn't work, and the GameFAQs person apparently misunderstood something.
    After you get the bartender to help in the fight the girl who takes over for him tells you that you can "help yourself" to the bartender's wares. Meaning that you get them for free. It's pretty much avoiding the RPG trope where you're there to defend the countryside but still have to pay MSRP for items. They actually avoid an exploit here by making the girl not buy back stuff. She also never restocks.

And yeah, I have DLC.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like how sometimes when I try to pick something it says "Key required".

OF COURSE. It's locked. Probably with a key. That's why I'm trying to pick the lock. Because it requires a key that I don't have...

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

or dislike you.

Well, yes.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    Framerate good? (Mass Effect ran like balls on my 360)
    Better than Mass Effect for me.
    Bugs, not present? (If anything is really annoying people I'd like to know. Haven't seen anything from skimming the thread.)
    Not that I've noticed. But then again, I haven't exactly combed the game yet.
    Balance and mechanics? (You likey?)
    I think it's OK. Then again, balance and mechanics are less important than story and characters, so...

Combat animations and visceral satisfaction... on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is an infinite engine game, 5 is Neverwinter with it's occasional parries that look good and 10 is cinematic glory making cutscene indistinguishable from gameplay and you can't wait to run another scumbag through.
    Hmm... I think I'll go with... 7? Maybe 8?

I... don't really care.

Except for that one bit with Alistair and the Ogre.

For me it was my rogue PC and the ogre
    leapt up right onto it's chest, stabbed it with one blade, then the other, and as it toppled to the ground, pulled both blades out and jumped off, all in slow motion. Was awesome.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just tried this one. It doesn't work, and the GameFAQs person apparently misunderstood something.
    After you get the bartender to help in the fight the girl who takes over for him tells you that you can "help yourself" to the bartender's wares. Meaning that you get them for free. It's pretty much avoiding the RPG trope where you're there to defend the countryside but still have to pay MSRP for items. They actually avoid an exploit here by making the girl not buy back stuff. She also never restocks.

And yeah, I have DLC.

Part of the exploit said you had to leave the inn and sell to the blacksmith, and that when you went back to the inn she would be restocked.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you lose the gear you get as part of the preorder/purchasing the game new, can you get it back by disabling the DLC and then loading a save game, then saving, re-enabling the DLC and loading the save game again?

I just realized that on my main character who is a rogue, I sold my piece of armor because I knew my rogue would never wear it and I didn't even think about the fact that a party member would be able to. Now I want to get it back :(

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I suppose I should be flattered.
    I dont know if Ive got the equipment for that but whatever gets you going.

And someone tell me who to support for king damnt.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And yeah, I have DLC.

Part of the exploit said you had to leave the inn and sell to the blacksmith, and that when you went back to the inn she would be restocked.

She doesn't restock. I even sold my entire inventory to the blacksmith just to be sure. Was the GameFAQs guy on the console or PC? I'm on the PC, so it may be a console-only loophole.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of people in Redcliffe Village. What does Dernal Garrison do? Every time I talked to him the only chat option I had was 'Nevermind'. Is he involved later in the game, are did I not do something in Redcliffe?

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Steam is currently downloading.

I did not go to the pub after work as i am fighting off a virus and didn't feel great so fuck it, why not. I would easily have spent £30.

I am trying to avoid persuading myself that i also would have spent £130 so i can go buy dj hero renegade edition. I just get a such a boner for exclusive peripherals like my pair of tournament SF4 sticks that i only occassionaly use.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Dragon Age toolset is finally available by the way:

http://social.bioware.com/toolset.php#downloads

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Speaking of people in Redcliffe Village. What does Dernal Garrison do? Every time I talked to him the only chat option I had was 'Nevermind'. Is he involved later in the game, are did I not do something in Redcliffe?
    He's for a sidequest.
    Lothering Blackstone Irregulars job chest thingy gives a quest to serve recruitment papers on three guys, including him.

grrarg on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I like how sometimes when I try to pick something it says "Key required".

OF COURSE. It's locked. Probably with a key. That's why I'm trying to pick the lock. Because it requires a key that I don't have...

yes

also, I feel for the people who don't have a rogue and have no other way to open doors and chests

lack of a knock spell is lame

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm starting to notice that most of the weapons are massive compared to the characters.

I wonder if that's why all their hands are so big. Bioware decided that it would be easier to make all the characters hands really big rather than go back and adjust the size of all the weapons.

I mean, their hands are huge. Clearly they all have cancer...

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone with the 360 version want to reassure me that it's still a good game? That the camera is still okay?
    Yes, the game is good. Yes, the camera is fine.

Now, compared to what you can do on the PC version, the console camera leaves something to be desired.

But in truth, the camera is really not bad. The ability to zoom out a bit would be nice, but it's not game-breaking. Fights on the consoles aren't as massive as they are on PC, so the fact that you can't see as much of the battlefield isn't as big a deal.

Things can and do get a bit confused when you've got a roiling melee going - but then again, it's a fucking roiling melee.

Wait, so they toned down the fights on the consoles?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    So I picked thsi up last night. I was able to make my little man look uncannily like me to the point that it's kind of uncomfortable to watch him. That's fun.

I'm only about 4 hours into the game taking my time. I'm just leaving the first village after the battle with the noble human origin.

All in all, though, I'm finding myself less engaged by this so far than pretty much any of the other Bioware offerings ever I guess. The character models look rather clunky and the engine seems to be showing some age. The environments are fine but nothing exciting so far.

The interface on the 360 does not feel slick at all - I couldn't even figure out a way to engage crafting without putting the icon on the quickbar.

I have not really wrapped my head around the gameplay mechanics yet. I am playing a rogue, and battles have pretty much consisted of hiding behind cover to avoid archers and then banging on the X button when badguys come around the corner. I haven't played with programming my characters' tactics, but it seems like kind of a chore.

The characters so far aren't grabbing me - Morrigan seems interesting but the other ones are leaving me cold - the giant with white cornrows and the sister-with-the-checkered-past seem especially insipid.

And more - I'm just not finding the story grabbing me, at least yet. Maybe it's just hard for me to take a fantasy story seriously? I don't really know.

So - my initial impression is that the game is a little homely, has awkward controls, largely dull characters a plot that fails to engage and the verdict is out on the gameplay mechanics. If it didn't say "Bioware" on the box I would not have thought it to be from them.

Am I the only one with reservations about this game?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm starting to notice that most of the weapons are massive compared to the characters.

I wonder if that's why all their hands are so big. Bioware decided that it would be easier to make all the characters hands really big rather than go back and adjust the size of all the weapons.

I'm not really sure you know how large actual medieval weapons are. The only ones that are oversized are really the 'daggers'.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone with the 360 version want to reassure me that it's still a good game? That the camera is still okay?
    Yes, the game is good. Yes, the camera is fine.

Now, compared to what you can do on the PC version, the console camera leaves something to be desired.

But in truth, the camera is really not bad. The ability to zoom out a bit would be nice, but it's not game-breaking. Fights on the consoles aren't as massive as they are on PC, so the fact that you can't see as much of the battlefield isn't as big a deal.

Things can and do get a bit confused when you've got a roiling melee going - but then again, it's a fucking roiling melee.

Wait, so they toned down the fights on the consoles?

Wait what? Roiling melee? Toned down? Fights?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Of the hands? /:|

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I'm not really sure you know how large actual medieval weapons are. The only ones that are oversized are really the 'daggers'.

Come on.

The hilts on the one-handed swords are big enough for two hands, and they're half as thick as most characters' arms. All of the weapons are HUGE.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg