As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neolight's days of Thunder: Updated 1/17/2016

2»

• Options
    NeolightNeolight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone

Mustang>>

will do

Lyrium>>

I seem to enjoy doing environments over all. I feel like characters havn't quite clicked with me yet.

>>Srsizzy

These are my most commonly received crits. I can't seem to break those habbits yet, but I think i'm getting closer.

The dragon guy was for a 3D project, he was the first character i've ever modeled. Animation sucks because It took a while to learn rigging, by the end of the whole process I had about four hours :X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxQtw9GMOEY&feature=channel_page

>>Wassermelone

Thanks alot, I'll make sure to plan for value in the begging next time. Sparth is my favorite lawlawl

Dont think I posted this. But since I can't show any of the stuff I've done at GG thusfar, textures from my mod...

Tribalwars__Textures_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cool Legions stuff. Makes me think of classic 90's Tribes manual art, minus steel bikinis.

Wassermelone has good points, you should follow them.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Official shirt graphic for www.playtribes.com

Starsiege_Tribes_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay now that is pretty fucking cool.

My only gripe is that the palm seems excessively bulbus. Need to tone that down a couple of notches.

Mustang on
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wow, you've got some pretty good stuff goin. You've deffinatly improved though! As for crits i would basically have to say everything has already been mentioned.
    I think you should mabey just take a break from doing environments and JUST do characters. I think that if you were able to get your characters up to the same level of awsomness as your environments, your peices would be much more amazing.

And that last piece is just pretty damn amazing.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Liking your environment stuff. Could do with 100% less anthropomorphs, but that's obviously something you enjoy so more power to you. That animation you posted looked okay. The little red dude's walk animation is a bit wonky.

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Neolight on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is an awesome thread.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Krieg_ist_Leban_by_Neolight.jpg

2009-357-20-53-4-1-ow_twtver7.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey everyone, there's a month of school left and i'm feeling pretty burnt out.

I've been trying to get back and draw for the past three weeks and I just keep distracting myself / getting urges to stop. It's aggravating, and no matter how long I spend on a piece it seems as if I havn't made any progress.

I went to PAX last weekend and got sick with a sinus infection. I guess I could have heeded Gabe and Tycho's warnings about the PAX disease.

I did manage to score a two hour-or-so long interview with the art director of Dungeons and Dragons. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T9n9y1_Lkfs/S7JVzsnajPI/AAAAAAAAFWo/MzCUuNjJedc/s1600/Jon+S.+Guerrilla+reviews+1.jpg

http://artorder.blogspot.com/2010/03/heading-home.html

And while it was more advice than I could have dreamed of, for some reason I can't get myself to operate. Is there anyone who's been in a similar position that knows how to get the fuck out of it?

I_have_the_Enemy_Flag_by_Neolight.jpg

Fish_Concepts_by_Neolight.jpg

Push_Fish_by_Neolight.jpg

pushfishzbursh.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Vanaheim_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really nice stuff.

Sorry I don't have any helpful critiques.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1st ones just not my cup o' tea I guess, but it might just be the genericness of the spacesuit dudeguys. Also that gun thats whipping around looks kinda odd perspective wise.

I really like you alien concepts though.

I don't know much about 3d modeling and environmental concepts, but they look pretty nice too.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shale_Bassalt_by_Neolight.png

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hey everyone, it's been about a year since I last updated. Alot's happened and I'm thrilled to say that I'm heading to:

insomniac1.jpg

this summer to be their art intern.

I was deterimined to reach out to them since august, and what ensued was a year full of art making.

hero_business_by_neolight-d3666f3.jpg

The following is an environment put together in UDK. The goal was to make a small game-spec level and explore art pipelines for current-gen games. The design was meant to reflect the deisng elements of Ratchet and Clank. I was working on this on and off from late october -> december.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIyi9-YgeA

ichor_refieneries_udk_by_neolight-d37zjp0.jpg

ichor_refieneries_by_neolight-d356j65.jpg

building_thumbs__flora_thumbs_by_neolight-d356ixa.jpg

This is from Grav, a game I was developing with three other guys for a game production class in Unity last semester. I did all the art and contributed to the game design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlyJ0Kd7UE&playnext=1&list=PLFC8EA9108CC032E0

grav__production_screenshots_by_neolight-d35abib.jpg

grav__ships_by_neolight-d3578m8.jpg

The rest is miscellaneous stuff

meds__wrath__and_beyond_by_neolight-d356jnm.jpg

Attack_Jeep_Concept_by_Neolight.jpg

Vehicles_by_Neolight.jpg

How_to_train_your_Sandworm_by_Neolight.jpg

Amon_by_Neolight.jpg

rust__the_slums_by_neolight-d390azk.jpg

party_quest_by_neolight-d3a9p7a.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    neo, this is awesome

what are you doing for Insomniac, specifically? Environment modeling? Textures? Concepts? Or a whole lot of everything?

congrats on the internship, this stuff looks really, really good.

I'd love to hear more about the Unity project, I'm just wrapping up a semester-long project where myself and five other artists were tossed into Unity with no introduction to pipeline and no programmers.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Everything is looking awesome, man. Some huge leaps in quality, grats on the internship!

Your environment stuff is a bit above your anatomy, though. If I had to pick stuff out to crit, it would be on your anime dudes and the white cat, but its hard to tell how "done" you would consider those. The elf dude is holding that arrow all sorts of weird.

Iruka on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember this thread from ages, wikid improvement.

Congrats and good luck with the internship!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    neo, this is awesome

what are you doing for Insomniac, specifically? Environment modeling? Textures? Concepts? Or a whole lot of everything?

A whole lot of everything. I'm going to be doing a bunch of hard surface props and textures, some organic models in zbrush, object placement, and engine grunt work.

I doubt I'll get any conceptart opportunities, the creaturebox guys have that covered, but with Insomniac you never know. Especially if you work hard - which is what I plan on doing!

I'd love to hear more about the Unity project, I'm just wrapping up a semester-long project where myself and five other artists were tossed into Unity with no introduction to pipeline and no programmers.

I am currently procrastinating on writing up a post mortem for the project which was actually due yesterday, so I'll PM it your way when I decide to be a responsible student (which has proven impossible recently) and finish it.

Basically the format of our class was EXACTLY like yours. Our team had four members including myself. We were lucky to have a very good programmer and two kids who were interested in design. I handled all of the art in the game. Curious to know what sort of experiences you've had. Hit me up on AIM or Skype or something (neolightl). We changed our game maybe 100 times during the course of the project which was a nightmare for me, and GRAV's final iteration was only conceived three days before the end of the due date. Shit was crazy, but a great learning experience.

Iruka > I'm planning on marketing myself towards environments, so it's nice you caught on to that. The anime dudes are lacking polish. I'm definitely weak on characters.

Winter > Thanks! I will do my best.

Fast morning sketches:

Untitled-11.jpg

wefawefew.jpg

eawfwefe.jpg

aewfew.jpg

efawefew2.jpg

hfaeewaf.jpg

ewafewf.jpg

ewfaew.jpg

weafwee2.jpg

weafwefwe.jpg

ewafe.jpg

weaffwe.jpg

wefaefe.jpg

awfwwefaew1.jpg

allcardsfourm.jpg

ClankerMinionlayout.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grats on the job!

You've improved a lot.

BUT (theres always a but) -- I still don't think you have quite gotten what I talked about on page two. Your environments are busy and hard to read because theres the same level of detail and the same level of contrast over the entire thing.

http://artsammich.blogspot.com/2011/04/gestalt.html

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wasser>

That's definetly the major problem I'm trying to fix. There is an interior concept I've been trying to nail down for my next 3D scene, and it is way too overloaded.

hlinearetr2.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Happy to say that my internship at Insomniac has recently become a full time job. Here's some of the work that I did over the summer on Ratchet and clank all 4 one: specifically concepts and models for collectible creatures in their game.

3t.jpg

1t.jpg

2t.jpg

Here's some 2D and 3D environment work that I've done during my time back at school.

1t.jpg

2t.jpg

3t.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I really like those environs. Nice atmosphere.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    The progress you have made is amazing. This thread really is an inspiration.

Also congratulations on the job, you're living the dream! Hopefully you can keep us posted, I'd love to see how you're work develops in the future.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Is it still 2011 and NOBODY TOLD ME!?

But srsly, super awesome work. A few of those models I couldn't tell if 2D or really good 3D.

• Options
    Hey guys, It's been a LONG time since I posted here and I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've spent the past few years at Insomniac Games as an environment artist on Ratchet and Clank Games. Now I've returned to New York and left Insomniac to start my own studio Dreamsail Games. Here's some recent art.

Skylanders Fan Art

supercharged_skylands_scouters_by_journeyful-d9nw1bu.jpg

Some spyro inspired dragon for a game idea I had.

saren_by_journeyful-d8pjc3q.jpg

Below is work that i've done for an indie game studio I started in New York City. The first three are for a flight racing game called WindRush, the last is a fighting robot game called blade ballet.

windrush___vama_jungle_2_by_journeyful-d9k0nec.jpg

skuther_village_by_neolight-d8acc6o.jpg

avian_aeronautics_airskiff_by_journeyful-d9i47du.jpg

blade_ballet___dropjaw_by_journeyful-d9jo4i2.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    amazingly sick progress on your work, man. Its cool to see you come back after such a long time! And Congrats on starting a studio, that's awesome.

On your skylanders, the effects have all the same level of contrast, making it really hard to separate the bottom character's front paw from his trail, visually. I wonder if you could push the atmospheric perspective on that first wind rush environment as well, to keep the ship as a prominent element of the composition.

Love the ships and tech

• Options
    hey thanks for visiting again and the crits!

I think both suggestions are valid, i will try it out