As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ass toning Xmen

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
New show I saw on Hulu tonight when looking for something to fall asleep to.

Directed by Joss Whedon (written???)

Looks exactly like it was story boarded from a comic book, then very very slightly animated in a Waking Life/Scanner Darkly style. Or a Broken Saints style flash animation project if anyone is familiar with that project. I guess this style is called rotoscoping as per wikipedia nomenclature.

Anyways....

The only thing I really know about Xmen story line is what came up in the movies, and what I somehow inherently knew about the story line before the movies came out and without ever reading a comic or ever watching the previous animated stories.

SO DON'T SPOIL IT IN THIS THREAD, ASSHOLES.

On the pro side:
Animation looks amazing, dark, adult, and amazing
Looks like nothing I've ever seedn before on TV
Good voice acting
Mucho fan service?

Cons:
Biggest one first, Hulu says: "The next episode of this series will be available December 2009"
13min long episodes
Mucho fan service!
Probably other stuff if you are an Xman aficionado, which I am not thus can't comment on how far it strays from the storyline, how it preserves the characters, etc.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I would put money on this show appearing weekly on your TV. But I don't know which day, time, or channel it appears on. So I will assume it appears once a week on Hulu every Thursday or so.

Sweet. Xman's.

Burtletoy on

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am nowhere near an Xmen or Marvel buff, but I've been pretty disappointed by how many times Stan Lee has let Hollywood twist the storyline for pretty much bullshit reasons. Like instead of just creating a random redshirt / henchman to kill, they do it to a main story character just so they can have another cameo name to add to the credits.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed Scanner Darkly, and would love to see something like that made out of the Xmen franchise.

Also, Xmen or Xman? Those are 2 different storylines. :P

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to continue to use them interchangably since I am a heathen that knows neither right, or wrong. (Or I just didn't know there was a difference, and now I just don't care)

Burtletoy on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn them for making the villain look like Dr. Doom from the back. I was so disappointed when they showed his face. :x

Pretty good show though, what little of it there was.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What you are watching is a "Motion comic" which Marvel & DC are really trying hard to make a big thing. The comic is written by Joss Whedon, and if you'd like to skip the wait, the whole run has been out in comic book form for quite some time now.

Lux on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man I hate those motion comics.

DarkPrimus on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've seen one for Spider-Woman, they're basically extended versions of the Max Payne cutscenes. And yea, the comics are all out already and in Whedon's case have been for probably a couple years now, so spoilers aren't really a big concern.

Scooter on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Motion comics tend to be half-assed disappointments compared to full animation. I can understand why companies would be interested in pursuing them, though, as they're like way cheaper/easier to produce.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I watched this yesterday as well. I read the original comic and really enjoyed the storyline. I did like this comic a lot more than the Spider-Woman motion comic which came out a bit ago

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am nowhere near an Xmen or Marvel buff, but I've been pretty disappointed by how many times Stan Lee has let Hollywood twist the storyline for pretty much bullshit reasons. Like instead of just creating a random redshirt / henchman to kill, they do it to a main story character just so they can have another cameo name to add to the credits.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed Scanner Darkly, and would love to see something like that made out of the Xmen franchise.

Stan Lee has no control over the way they develop the stories for the movies. Not that he really minds it anyway, because as a comic writer he's had plenty of experience with people reinterpreting and changing the characters he created.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    So wait - motion comic, or rotoscoping? Cuz there's a big frickin difference.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's a motion comic, and looks pretty shitty if you're expecting rotoscoping. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So wait - motion comic, or rotoscoping? Cuz there's a big frickin difference.

Yeah. It's funny the OP says the style is like "Scanner Darkly" and "Waking Life" -- this is actually as far from that kind of animation as you get.

Hachface on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    motion comics are fucking awful

also i already read Joss Whedon's run on AXM a few years ago

because i read comics for real 8-)

Pony on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Motion comics are hit or miss to me. For instance, I really liked the watchmen ones. I caught all of whedon's run when it was coming out in issues and it was spectacular. I liked it a lot more than other x-universe stuff that was coming out at the time. Actually if anyone was looking for a good x-men story I'd reccomend the omnibus of his stuff.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was kinda drunk last night when I wrote the OP, so there is a good chance it looked like rotoscoping to me, but no, it is not.

It still looks 100% the same as the Broken Saints webcomic thing from like 5 years back.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2009
    i can't stand motion comics

there's something about them that almost like

is a little offensive to me

Pony on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    I can't stand motion comics. There's something about them that almost like is a little offensive to me.

They should either just be a comic or fully animated. Instead it fails at both.

JJ on
    edited November 2009
    Wait, are these motion comics like the bonus features on the Will Smith version of "I Am Legend"?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It looked like crap. Way to ruin decent art.

NotYou on
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Oh yeah totally. No, you're right. We should keep any comic movie beholden to the extremely long, episodic and drawn-out storylines of comics because if there's anything that Marvel does right it's uniformity and canon continuity. Nevermind that there's probably around 7 different versions of the Spiderman comic alone.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also the writing is terrible. I don't get Joss Whedon's popularity.

Hachface on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, are these motion comics like the bonus features on the Will Smith version of "I Am Legend"?

iirc, yes, that's what these are like.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I figured I would at least sit around and watch the whole episode seeing as it's so short, but I got pretty bored in the middle of the five minute inner monologue flashback.

Cervetus on
    edited November 2009

It feels like the only reason I'm watching it is because I'm too stupid to read a picture book on my own and need someone to do the voices for me.

Scooter on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    motion comics are fucking awful

also i already read Joss Whedon's run on AXM a few years ago

because i read comics for real 8-)

They remind me of those old 70s shows with extremely limited animation.

Couscous on
    edited November 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

It feels like the only reason I'm watching it is because I'm too stupid to read a picture book on my own and need someone to do the voices for me.

yes

it is this exactly

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »

Oh yeah totally. No, you're right. We should keep any comic movie beholden to the extremely long, episodic and drawn-out storylines of comics because if there's anything that Marvel does right it's uniformity and canon continuity. Nevermind that there's probably around 7 different versions of the Spiderman comic alone.

My beef isnt that they are deviating from the comics storylines, its more that they are effecting permanent change to the comic storylines by killing off major characters in the stupidest ways possible.

Killing Deadpool as Weapon X is just nucking futs. (I forget if they bothered to kill Sabretooth or not).
    If they want to invent new villains or heroes to kill off, I'm cool with that. When they kill off major story characters, it ruins the movie, as well as any possible sequels unless they do a reboot like with Batman.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »

My beef isnt that they are deviating from the comics storylines, its more that they are effecting permanent change to the comic storylines by killing off major characters in the stupidest ways possible.

Killing Deadpool as Weapon X is just nucking futs. (I forget if they bothered to kill Sabretooth or not).
    If they want to invent new villains or heroes to kill off, I'm cool with that. When they kill off major story characters, it ruins the movie, as well as any possible sequels unless they do a reboot like with Batman.

because it is extremely important that the films maintain the exact same roster as the comics

otherwise

how will they slavishly follow the comics storylines and re-enact them in a way that doesn't make me feel like a loser for having the entire Dark Phoenix Saga memorized?

right?

seriously don't be a wanker

i am not saying the "Deadpool" that was in Wolverine: Origins was a good idea (that movie was all kinds of terrible in a general sense) but being all "abloo bloo bloo they killed off that character who isn't dead in the comics! heresy!" is just lame as fuck

The Dark Knight straight up killed a recurring Batman villain for the sake of the story, in the movie he was created in

and that was still good

so there

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    It's okay for movies to kill characters off, given that movies don't generally continue, and if they do, they'll probably get completely rebooted a few down the line. But they at least need to do it well. More than any of the others, I'm still pretty pissed off that Cyclops, of all people, just got an off-screen zapping.

Scooter on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Small vote in favour of motion comics: I don't think they're automatically cool or good, but I found the Watchmen motion comic quite compelling - perhaps mainly because they didn't go overboard with the animation. Watchmen in that medium made me aware again of how well Moore and Gibbons used cinematic techniques in their storytelling.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited November 2009
    because it is extremely important that the films maintain the exact same roster as the comics

otherwise

how will they slavishly follow the comics storylines and re-enact them in a way that doesn't make me feel like a loser for having the entire Dark Phoenix Saga memorized?

right?

seriously don't be a wanker

i am not saying the "Deadpool" that was in Wolverine: Origins was a good idea (that movie was all kinds of terrible in a general sense) but being all "abloo bloo bloo they killed off that character who isn't dead in the comics! heresy!" is just lame as fuck

The Dark Knight straight up killed a recurring Batman villain for the sake of the story, in the movie he was created in

and that was still good

so there

You're right, fuck slavishly following source material. I want the next Iron Man movie to have Tony Stark talking to a young Bruce Wayne at the Yacht Club about the responsibilities of priviledge that convince him to create an alterego of his own, and become WarMachine.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    It's almost as if there's some sort of middle ground between the two retarded extremes.

Cervetus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i don't really think it matters if the movies follow the comics, it just matters that movies are good and not retarded.
    like, spider man 1 and 2, they killed off both villians right there at the end, and they were still great movies. fuck, i even like that they made doc ock sorta a good guy. as long as the movies turn out watchable, i don't see the issue.
    You're right, fuck slavishly following source material. I want the next Iron Man movie to have Tony Stark talking to a young Bruce Wayne at the Yacht Club about the responsibilities of priviledge that convince him to create an alterego of his own, and become WarMachine.
    if you mean do i want a batman/ iron man crossover movie, uh, yes please? because that'd be pretty rad.

Local H Jay on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm with Local H Jay, lets get that bloody movie made. Just imagine it, Batmobile-tank tearing down the road and Iron man just casually flies in, lands it front of it and stops it with his hands before ripping it open like it was made of paper and then getting a face full of some EMP device from Batman.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm with Local H Jay, lets get that bloody movie made. Just imagine it, Batmobile-tank tearing down the road and Iron man just casually flies in, lands it front of it and stops it with his hands before ripping it open like it was made of paper and then getting a face full of some EMP device from Batman.

They fight like this for a solid forty five minutes.

Then the Predator hunting party launches their attack.

Drake on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They really need to make a movie version of The Ultimate Showdown. With cooler characters of course, but still, ultimate showdown movie would be great.

Daxon on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

yes

it is this exactly

It's funny when even comic book readers become elitist.

Crayon on
    edited November 2009
    Crayon wrote: »

yes

it is this exactly

You mean graphic novel readers.

Cervetus on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Drake wrote: »

They fight like this for a solid forty five minutes.

Then the Predator hunting party launches their attack.

Batman vs. Ironman vs. Predator - just you wait, soon we'll have BvIvP plastered all over our Slurpee cups and you'll be rethinking how cool an idea this is.

nescientist on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »

yes

it is this exactly

You mean graphic novel readers.

Nope, I mean comic books readers. Graphic novel is terminology created to make you feel not as nerdy as you were prior.

Crayon on