As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    Wasn't my first game, but I called a care package and it LANDED ON ME AND KILLED ME.

:[

I guess you should have been a bit more

Careful.

8-)

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wasn't my first game, but I called a care package and it LANDED ON ME AND KILLED ME.

Careful.

8-)

:^::^:

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Careful.

8-)

Seems the package...

8-)

took care of that one.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    am... am I getting David Caruso'd?

(unrelated by google turned it up)

0KKrJEjPEcnp0cfjEOrVliPn_400.jpg

aBlank on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    twmjr wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I was going to buy this game on PC until I checked the metacritic score and saw how it was universally panned.
    I never had any intention of buying it, but I was entertained by the smear campaign going on. People sure do love their dedicated servers.

It has a 1.3 user score.

That's incredible.

PC gamers are the Baby Boomers of the electronics entertainment world.

Entitled bitches.
    I'm glad I do not go along with the majority of PC players. I love this game to death. Online has been just fine so far. Only one bad host but it switched to someone else pretty fast.

What's your opinion on the player limits? Someone asked before, and I'm curious what it's like from a PC perspective. Just from the few maps I played last night on the 360, I can't imagine the player limits are a problem -- none of the maps seem ridiculously large where you could wander around for 5 minutes without running into someone. In fact, I can't imagine playing with more than 18 total players in any of the maps we were on.
    It's perfect. Anything above 18 would be absolutely retarded. The maps feel a lot tighter than in CoD4 (possibly because I don't know them yet). You couldn't fit that many people in and have a good game.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sooo...new ps3 update doesn't let me play MW2 online. Peachy.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of swapping the ps3 version for the pc. Even though I think the controls work on ps3, I just always feel more comfortable on my computer. Plus I can kick the graphics up to max as well.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to buy this game on PC until I checked the metacritic score and saw how it was universally panned.
    I never had any intention of buying it, but I was entertained by the smear campaign going on. People sure do love their dedicated servers.

It has a 1.3 user score.

That's incredible.

Entitled bitches.
    I'm glad I do not go along with the majority of PC players. I love this game to death. Online has been just fine so far. Only one bad host but it switched to someone else pretty fast.

What's your opinion on the player limits? Someone asked before, and I'm curious what it's like from a PC perspective. Just from the few maps I played last night on the 360, I can't imagine the player limits are a problem -- none of the maps seem ridiculously large where you could wander around for 5 minutes without running into someone. In fact, I can't imagine playing with more than 18 total players in any of the maps we were on.
    It's perfect. Anything above 18 would be absolutely retarded. The maps feel a lot tighter than in CoD4 (possibly because I don't know them yet). You couldn't fit that many people in and have a good game.

I'll expand the line of questioning to include impressions on map quality. How are the maps? How many are there? How would you rate your experience so far against CoD4?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I squished a friendly with it once. Killing an enemy with it has to be an achievement or something.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i picked up the PC version yesterday.... i feel so dirty.

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »

It has a 1.3 user score.

That's incredible.

Entitled bitches.

I'll expand the line of questioning to include impressions on map quality. How are the maps? How many are there? How would you rate your experience so far against CoD4?
    I'd have to get used to the maps first before I give you a solid answer. I haven't played them all but the ones I have played have been generally more compact than in CoD4. They've shrunken a bit in width and length but they've gotten higher. There are a lot of high places you can get up to. Makes you really look around much more. In general, the change in map design makes the gameplay feel very different. I get killed from someone I didn't see more often than just getting outgunned.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dig the care packages. It's one of those "mixed-bag" kind of things, but I usually got lucky and got decent stuff.

Had a lot of fun last night on Live with other 360 PA'ers. I even had a few good matches.
    SCAR + holographic sights ftw

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow. I work at a GameStop and I didn't even know (nor did any of my coworkers) that there *was* a PC version. That makes me sad on a fundamental level.

Also, what do we think of the campaign, dudes? I finished it in two sittings (the first about 1.5 hours, the second, about 3 hours) and I must say I still get surprised when I find out just how short a game's campaign can be nowadays. I compare it to a masturbatory orgasm of sorts. It's great while it lasts, but it's so astonishingly short that it tends to leave you a bit unfulfilled. Thank God for multiplayer.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YEAAAAAAno

I've been playing through single player just to get a feel for the game, (I'm new!) and have really been enjoying it. I'm sure the 'down the sights snap to target' thing is very old hat for most players, but for me it's super clever. What a great way to get your console auto-aim.

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whats the point of the holographic sites? it just seemed like the red dot but slightly worse? Am I missing something?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    npreecs wrote: »
    YEAAAAAAno

I've been playing through single player just to get a feel for the game, (I'm new!) and have really been enjoying it. I'm sure the 'down the sights snap to target' thing is very old hat for most players, but for me it's super clever. What a great way to get your console auto-aim.

Be advised, that doesn't work in multiplayer.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Whats the point of the holographic sites? it just seemed like the red dot but slightly worse? Am I missing something?
    I think there's a little bit more magnification than the red-dot, and there's a tiny reticle instead of just a dot.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm at work. For another 5 and a half hours. I don't want to be. I WANT TO BE HELPING SOAP KILL TERRORISTS.

Sigh.

Beat the campaign last night on Hardened though. That was haaard.

Did anyone else not find ANY intel the whole way through? I just never saw any. :(

Multi is fun though. I'm level 3! ahaha. Add me on Xbox Live! SniperGuy710

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Wow. I work at a GameStop and I didn't even know (nor did any of my coworkers) that there *was* a PC version. That makes me sad on a fundamental level.

Also, what do we think of the campaign, dudes? I finished it in two sittings (the first about 1.5 hours, the second, about 3 hours) and I must say I still get surprised when I find out just how short a game's campaign can be nowadays. I compare it to a masturbatory orgasm of sorts. It's great while it lasts, but it's so astonishingly short that it tends to leave you a bit unfulfilled. Thank God for multiplayer.

I guess it doesn't surprise me much. I mean, if you were developing a sequel to COD4 you'd be putting MULTIPLAYER DAGNABIT on the top of your list, too. The single player just needs to be a solid introduction and have good production values.

That said, it's all a bit to 'action movie' for me. Super fun, though.

npreecs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    YEAAAAAAno

Oh. Well then I'm going to be dying a lot, then.

npreecs on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YEAAAAAAno

I have noticed that the cursor tracks a little bit. I was sitting on a window corner and a guy ran past, my cursors definitely chased him for a moment on their own.

And then I killed him. I <3 the FAMAS.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmmmm....multiplayer on PS3 doesn't seem to be working this morning.

Update problem?

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmmmm....multiplayer on PS3 doesn't seem to be working this morning.

Update problem?

Yep. A recent patch seems to have caused... issues. I'd guess that they'll get a fix out fast.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    YEAAAAAAno

I have noticed that the cursor tracks a little bit. I was sitting on a window corner and a guy ran past, my cursors definitely chased him for a moment on their own.

And then I killed him. I <3 the FAMAS.

There is some slight tracking in multiplayer - at least in the console versions. When I'm sneaking through the brush on Underpass, I usually keep my thumb off the right analog stick and watch for the dot to subtly move for me. If you practice paying enough attention to the auto-draw on your weapon, it can help you identify hidden threats.

Also, my greatest multiplayer moment so far came last night on Wasteland. It was TDM and I was pretty much running solo near the entire enemy team. They're doing really well and are leading by about nine kills, so they drop two supply crates. I head towards the first and knife the guy about to open it. There's a sentry gun inside.

I quickly make my way to the nearby house where the second crate is visible from the side. I set up the automated sentry gun which kills the entire team as they try to run for the crate. When the smoke clears, I go grab the next crate for myself.

It was an AC-130. I easily had over 18 kills before I finally bit it.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2 patches in less than 48 hours, now this.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Not unexpected ... does the pc version use punkbuster or something else?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I never understood the hacker mindset and I don't think I ever will. I can imagine getting a sick sort of thrill by dominating a map the way this particular hack lets you do for the first few times you use it, but at the same time it takes all the fun out of the game. Why even bother if there's no challenge?

I could imagine it being fun if you are on a dedicated server ( D: ) where everyone has this hack enabled. And you can select the server which probably is named "Full Hacks Enabled" or something along those lines. That could be amusing.

...I miss my servers. On a related note, I've heard from the GiantBomb quicklook on MW2 that supposedly the upcoming id game Rage will also use a matchmaking system and cut dedicated servers out.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Photon wrote: »

Not unexpected ... does the pc version use punkbuster or something else?

VAC.

EDIT: Which is why this comment raised quite a few eyebrows when it was made:
    DudezTY: Since we cannot kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?

Mackey-IW: Our goal is to ban hackers from the game.

subedii on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GOGO PC VERSION!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

...I miss my servers. On a related note, I've heard from the GiantBomb quicklook on MW2 that supposedly the upcoming id game Rage will also use a matchmaking system and cut dedicated servers out.

Aliens VS Predator as well. Looks like Dedicated servers may very well be on the way out altogether. Jezo might have been right after all. :lol:

EDIT: To answer your other question as to why people would use them in the first place, well, some people are just jerks. See also: Hosts screwing with the modem connection in Gears 2. RAGE!

subedii on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ok so what (gulag spoilers)
    guess we just left price to rot after he got captured for whatever reason, heh

Nuzak on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That must be how the enemy AI on Veteran Single Player sees the world...

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

Ground War.

You get Team Deathmatch and Domination on up to 9 vs 9 teams, and you can still have party chat.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Care package can't drop off a
    Nuke
    can it?

Like I hope it can, but I doubt it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It takes two seconds to mute someone. Some of the game modes do seem to allow you to party chat. The modes that don't are the ones where dead players and living players can't talk so you can't give away positions and such. You may not like it, but within the context of certain game modes, it completely makes sense.

Aoi on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bombboy wrote: »
    That must be how the enemy AI on Veteran Single Player sees the world...

Limed for Brazilian Militias.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hate to re-post the same question, but a buddy and myself are at work, and are both dying to know:

Can someone confirm that MW2 allows private/friends-only multi-player matches?

Yall on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Hate to re-post the same question, but a buddy and myself are at work, and are both dying to know:

Can someone confirm that MW2 allows private/friends-only multi-player matches?

Yes, it does.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Random - "Why you noob tubing dude?"
    Me - "750 XP buddy."

I love the FAL so so much.

joshgotro on