Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
:!: Lobby leaders (actually, just everyone) - check the max ping command in L4D/L4D2 tweak sections
fkuzq8.png

What is 'Left for Dead'?
The best goddamn co-op game you'll ever find, that's what it is.
First started as a project from Turtle Rock Studios and afterward lovingly embraced by Valve's touch of brilliance, it's a shooter that pits you and 3 friends (or bots, if you hate yourself) versus lots of zombies.
What makes it awesome however is that team play is not just recommended, it is most utterly required. That means you need the right people to enjoy this game and you've come to the right place.

This shit is so awesome I want to play with PA where do I click
PC:
Steamgroup: Armadeaddon
For an invite [url=steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429532423]Join the Chat![/url] It's where lobbies get made and players celebrate.

Xbox 360:
Kris_xX wrote:
Bottom line: If you've got a 360 and L4D, good times can be had. Add "A PA L4D Group" to get in on the fun!

A common complaint I hear about the list is that there's no one actually playing L4D on it. Just invite people on the list, regardless of what they're playing. The list is there to get groups together, and a lot of the time people will drop out of whatever they're doing and join in. I for one will pretty much always switch over to L4D, unless I just got in a CoD : WaW party like I did last night when Kawl wanted to play.

header.jpg?t=1254347045
The original. Already old and nearly forgotten.
2j5jo82.png Sol's Eductional Stuff 2j5jo82.png Custom Campaigns/Maps 2j5jo82.png Useful stuff:
Make a new voice wheel (for example for spotting special infected threats)
Change the color of item/player silhouettes
Lower the max allowed server ping for lobby searches:
Spoiler:
header.jpg?t=1257798609
Are you as strong as Moustachio? Prove it.
14e9ojs.jpg General Game info - what is new?
Spoiler:

14e9ojs.jpg Tweak/Edit stuff:
2j5jo82.png Lower maximum allowed server ping in lobby searches:
In \Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg\config.cfg add the following line: (for some people autoexec.cfg doesn't work, it does for me. My advice: add in both)

mm_dedicated_search_maxping 100 (the default value is 300)

You can lower it even more in-game with the console (~, enable dev console in settings) if everyone in the lobby is located close together. Else you might be getting a server that's awesome for you but terrible for others (if you can find one at all). note: Console doesn't work in lobby.

Official dedicated seems to give best results in my experience. After 20 seconds of searching stop and restart the search, else the game will have you act as host.

14e9ojs.jpg Useful player info & tips
14e9ojs.jpg Movies!
14e9ojs.jpg Screenshots
Spoiler:
Other Cool Stuff (wait, there's MORE?)
144buj7.jpg
2j5jo82.png Gabe visits LaCabra!

2j5jo82.png THE MIDNIGHT RIDERS

2j5jo82.png Holy shit cool signature images for your forum signatures:
Spoiler:

2j5jo82.png You've already seen these pics why are they still here:
2j5jo82.png Even more fanart/stuff no one cares about:
Spoiler:

Alegis on

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I promise it will be decent some day

• VeeVee Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh I haven't gotten a chance to play the demo. It is just sittin there on my xbox needing to be played.

TONIGHT I will make time.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just did Death Toll in advanced difficulty with my fiancee and two friends. We're all pretty new to the game (and therefore late to the party) and had a pretty hard time with it. In the end, only two of us made it to the boat. I can't imagine how difficult it is on expert.

• undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I just did Death Toll in advanced difficulty with my fiancee and two friends. We're all pretty new to the game (and therefore late to the party) and had a pretty hard time with it. In the end, only two of us made it to the boat. I can't imagine how difficult it is on expert.

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone gets smoked off the pier, a tank seperates the rest, and a boomer cleans us up.

:(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    being new to this (just playing the l4d2 demo so far) i naturally started on normal and it left me very unimpressed. watching gore is fun for about 10 minutes. you just shoot around until you arrive at the end of the level. big deal.
    then i switched to expert really quick and realized that this was what i was looking for. its not like im good at the game so quickly, but suddenly the whole game dynamics change, its important where your teammembers are, every single step you take alone might be your end, the team is always close to dieing, the tension ramps up dramatically and it really does feel like this isn't going to end well with every step you take, which is basically exactly what i expect from an apocalyptic zombie game.
    and you know what? most of the time it doesn't, because someone makes one simple mistake, or there was that one tank that really was too much. but the thing is, all these bitter defeats make succeeding so much more satisfying then after mowing your way through a normal game that even as complete beginner I must say I don't think the game can be truly enjoyed any other way.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone gets smoked off the pier, a tank seperates the rest, and a boomer cleans us up.

I personally feel that Death Toll has the most difficult finale, unless you sit in the corner on the porch. I learned that trick last week.

steam_sig.png
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I personally feel that Death Toll has the most difficult finale, unless you sit in the corner on the porch. I learned that trick last week.

Odd, I always found DT the easiest since the minigun covers nearly all angles of approach for the hordes.

Then again, I actually use the minigun, so that makes me a bizarre person, apparently.

camo_sig2.png
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lol minigun. more like corner camp and melee.

also, my god, the new sniper rifle is overpowered. I just used it for the first time, and with the stopping power and the piercing it has, you can take out an entire horde by yourself before you even run out of your thirty bullets. easily my favourite weapon now.

oh and also, it is good to see that corner camping is back in a slightly less effective way with the melee weapons. machete's just carve zombies up and it is beautiful. very happy with the mechanics to the melee weapons tbh.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Less than a week? Could it be?!

7nUkagJ.png
    SteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    lol minigun. more like corner camp and melee.

also, my god, the new sniper rifle is overpowered. I just used it for the first time, and with the stopping power and the piercing it has, you can take out an entire horde by yourself before you even run out of your thirty bullets. easily my favourite weapon now.

The new sniper rifle has gotten me into a bit of trouble.

"Certainly with this badass weapon I can just pop off to those picnic tables by myself and nab an extra item or something while my buddies are headed over to the Gazebo. What's the worst that could happen?"

No. That didn't end well.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone tries to get onto the boat early and gets launched into orbit.

So a forest of boob trees is sexist?
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, did anyone else get their 4-pack reset at some point last week? It happened to me and was a big pain in the butt to figure out. (BTW, to everyone who asked me if I had a spare copy because of it, sorry but they literally reset my 4-pack and I had to send them back to the people I originally sent them to.)

I figure that either the demo going from preorder to being open to everyone, or the preload becoming available, must have tripped that up.

steam_sig.png
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thought I might ask this here in case anyone else has had and been able to fix this problem, but for the last two days any time i join a server with a message of the day active on it, l4d will crash. (1 and two's demo, also tf2 which leads me to believe it's a problem my computers having with the source engine.)

Oddly, the games will run without any hitches if there's no message. Hoping I figure this out before l4d 2's released.

hullabaloosig.jpg
  • WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Morrandir wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Odd, I always found DT the easiest since the minigun covers nearly all angles of approach for the hordes.

Then again, I actually use the minigun, so that makes me a bizarre person, apparently.

I've found it easiest holding out on the dock itself. The dock was the spot where I managed to get the achievement where no survivors take damage after contacting the rescue vehicle (still hard as hell, though). But it also has the best minigun placement, I agree.

• CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User
    edited November 2009
    We're so close to finding out what "suck the heads" means!

• Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've heard it's about eatin'. And I swear I'm gonna shoot Ellis (more often) if that's a regular line of his.

roland even though you are just living life until ragnarok

us mortals have to deal
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User
    edited November 2009
    We should play together, Roland. I'll be Ellis and you can be Coach and we'll crack wise and shoot each other with guns like in the movies!

• NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We should play together, Roland. I'll be Ellis and you can be Coach and we'll crack wise and shoot each other with guns like in the movies!

I'll be Louis, because someone needs to say peels.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thread title fails; OP is passable.

p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Thread title fails; OP is passable.

I suggest the thread title be "grabbin a thread of puke"

but that's just me.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We all know, but let's keep it a secret from CheerfulBear.
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere MY FINEST CREATION oh nevermind it's deadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so I hear this Louis character enjoys pharmaceuticals

nHu0VJL.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Only to feel them up.

steam_sig.png
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited November 2009

fascinating

tell me more

Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited November 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I know what suck the heads mean.

I learned it from a Scooby Doo movie.

Spoiler:
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adam I will moider you

i8oqDXr.png
    That's my blog, click the sig to go there!
    edited November 2009
    I know some people who used to play like that on Death Toll. Race from start to finish (the pier, ignoring the rescue event) on normal/advanced - jotting down intermittent score at crescendo's or safe houses.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He is in fact referring to the fact that I suck at the game and end up rushing ahead and getting killed.

i8oqDXr.png
    edited November 2009
    Every time you feel like rushing ahead and getting killed, press the shift button.

You may release it when the suicidal urges have passed.

edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Every time you feel like rushing ahead and getting killed, press the shift button.

THAT is a definite protip.

what

shut up

get off my forums

:x

i8oqDXr.png
    edited November 2009
    startin a petition to get somestinkguy banned

i8oqDXr.png
  • UnluckyUnlucky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stuff
    More stuff
    I....

I....

I, uh....

What?

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?

Pokedex entry: Charmeleon, The Flame Pokemon, the brighter its tail glows the stronger its teenage angst is.
    The lamprey is ribbed for his pleasure
    edited November 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Stuff
    More stuff
    I....

I....

I, uh....

What?

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?

Well one of my college friends decided to parody me

He promises to behave now

i8oqDXr.png
    edited November 2009
    Well one of my college friends decided to parody me

He promises to behave now
    Oooooh, ok.

PwN3d.

Pokedex entry: Charmeleon, The Flame Pokemon, the brighter its tail glows the stronger its teenage angst is.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So about this game.

How does the special pre-order weapon work? Because as far as I know, when a random melee weapon is placed somewhere in the game world, everyone in the server sees the same weapon. How do they work in a weapon that only some people have access to?

edited November 2009
    I heard that once someone sees the bat in one game, they'll have it unlocked for the rest of time.

The other alternative is that it just appears for that game for most people, and the ones with it 'unlocked' from the pre-order can select the bat from the start of any match on any server.

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, who's everybody gonna be, and why?

I'll be Ellis, because I like doing his accent (I always do the accents for the survivors, dunno why. <3 Louis, PEELS!)

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Nick, because he wears a white suit.

• MegaMekMegaMek Out with the old; in with the new.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ellis, for the same reason I always played Lois.

EDIT: Err, Louis.