As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
:!: Lobby leaders (actually, just everyone) - check the max ping command in L4D/L4D2 tweak sections
fkuzq8.png

What is 'Left for Dead'?
The best goddamn co-op game you'll ever find, that's what it is.
First started as a project from Turtle Rock Studios and afterward lovingly embraced by Valve's touch of brilliance, it's a shooter that pits you and 3 friends (or bots, if you hate yourself) versus lots of zombies.
What makes it awesome however is that team play is not just recommended, it is most utterly required. That means you need the right people to enjoy this game and you've come to the right place.

This shit is so awesome I want to play with PA where do I click
PC:
Steamgroup: Armadeaddon
For an invite [url=steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429532423]Join the Chat![/url] It's where lobbies get made and players celebrate.

Xbox 360:
Kris_xX wrote:
Bottom line: If you've got a 360 and L4D, good times can be had. Add "A PA L4D Group" to get in on the fun!

A common complaint I hear about the list is that there's no one actually playing L4D on it. Just invite people on the list, regardless of what they're playing. The list is there to get groups together, and a lot of the time people will drop out of whatever they're doing and join in. I for one will pretty much always switch over to L4D, unless I just got in a CoD : WaW party like I did last night when Kawl wanted to play.

header.jpg?t=1254347045
The original. Already old and nearly forgotten.
2j5jo82.pngSol's Eductional Stuff 2j5jo82.pngCustom Campaigns/Maps 2j5jo82.pngUseful stuff:
Make a new voice wheel (for example for spotting special infected threats)
Change the color of item/player silhouettes
Lower the max allowed server ping for lobby searches:
Browse to /Steam/steamapps/common/left 4 dead/left4dead/cfg and create an autoexec.cfg file if it does not exist already.
add following line:
mm_dedicated_search_maxping 100 (default 250)
This will limit the max allowed server ping in lobby searches. You can change it in-game by using the console (~, enable dev console in options)
header.jpg?t=1257798609
Are you as strong as Moustachio? Prove it.
14e9ojs.jpgGeneral Game info - what is new?
Meet the new Survivors:
nn_nick_over.jpgnn_ellis_over.jpgnn_coach_over.jpgnn_rochelle_over.jpg

Meet the new Special Infected:
nc_charger_over.jpgnc_spitter_over.jpgnc_jockey_over.jpg

Meet the new Campaigns:

Dead Center

fyrys.jpg

2hp3cxv.jpg

The survivors meet up in a burning building and head for the evac station in the shopping mall.
Uncommon infected: Hazmat suit zombies, immune to fire.

Dark Carnival

15ob1cl.jpg

j7vpd5.jpg

A rollercoaster ride of zombie shooting fun in the local carnival!
Uncommon infected: Clowns. They rile up common infected with the sound they make.

Swamp Fever

swampfev1.jpg

Crawl your way through the swamp to the ol' plantation house.
Uncommon infected: Mudmen. Nasty crouched creatures who fling mud at your face and move wickedly fast in the water.

Hard Rain

hardraine.jpg

heavyrain2k.jpg

The Survivors need to get fuel for the boat if they are to .. survive. Takes place in an industrial area and weather may be a bit cloudy.
Uncommon infected: Construction workers, immune to sound. They won't go after pipe bombs.

The Parish

parishd.jpg

New Orleans at last! Finally safety? Takes place in broad daylight.
Uncommon infected: Armored riot police zombie.

Meet the new Modes:
Scavenge:

scavenge.jpg

A short form of Versus. Each team tries to get as much fuel into the tank as possible each round, best 2 out of 3. Convenient when you only have 30 mins of time available or want to get more practice out of the special infected characters.
Fuel cannisters that are dropped by survivors on the floor (orange glow) can be destroyed by Spitter goo or bullets.
A round ends for a team when the timer hits zero and overtime ends. Overtime lasts as long as at least one survivor is holding a jerry can. You get extra time for every jerry can poured into the machine.

Realism mode:

Another mode for the true Hardcore. Realism mode removes a few crutches players rely on in campaign (and can be played on any difficulty):
  • No silhouette glow on survivors and items will only glow when you're very close to them.
  • Bullets that hit the infected bodies are less effective compared to headshots.
  • Witches will instantly kill survivors when they scream and hit.
  • No survivor rescue closets, defib. or getting to the next saferoom are the only ways of getting dead players back.

The old modes, Versus, Survival and Campaign are still in place.
Survival places your team in several crescendo events, try to survive as long as possible and beat the score of your friends on the leaderboards.
Versus matches 4 survivor players vs 4 special infected players, each team tries to get the furthest through the maps.

New Gore system:
gorej.jpg
(Australian and German copies of the game are censored because the government hates you - you should import the game, steam gift copies from foreign people should work.)

What else is new:
  • Sweeter looking game with awesome water and storm effects and marvelous trees.
  • Lots of new weapons and items to choose from. Items are scattered more randomly across the map and you may start a campaign with different weapons than otherwise.
    • Boomer Bile will attract zombies when thrown. Infected that are hit by the bile will be attacked by the other infected, this includes biled tanks.
    • Adrenaline gives you 25 temporary health and a speed boost to your movement speed and all your actions (including reviving players).
    • Melee weapons can be found everywhere and replace your pistol slot when picked up. You can still 'block' with melee weapons, they provide great close-combat area damage but have windows of vulnerability in-between the swings
    • Incendiary and explosive ammo that can be taken along (instead of a medkit) or deployed immediately.
    • Laser sight upgrade will add a laser pointer to your main weapon and improve accuracy.
    • Defibrillator replaces med kit, revives dead players in 3 seconds with 50 HP.
  • AI Director pushed up the level of the game. Special infected attacks are more coordinated.

14e9ojs.jpgTweak/Edit stuff:
2j5jo82.png Lower maximum allowed server ping in lobby searches:
In \Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg\config.cfg add the following line: (for some people autoexec.cfg doesn't work, it does for me. My advice: add in both)

mm_dedicated_search_maxping 100 (the default value is 300)

You can lower it even more in-game with the console (~, enable dev console in settings) if everyone in the lobby is located close together. Else you might be getting a server that's awesome for you but terrible for others (if you can find one at all). note: Console doesn't work in lobby.

Official dedicated seems to give best results in my experience. After 20 seconds of searching stop and restart the search, else the game will have you act as host.

14e9ojs.jpgUseful player info & tips
14e9ojs.jpgMovies!
14e9ojs.jpgScreenshots
hard%20rain.jpg

c1m2_streets0011.jpg

c3m2_swamp0001.jpg

c4m4_milltown_b0005.jpg

c1m1_hotel0003.jpg

finale.jpg
Donate your own screenies by posting them in the thread!
Other Cool Stuff (wait, there's MORE?)
144buj7.jpg
2j5jo82.pngGabe visits LaCabra!

2j5jo82.pngTHE MIDNIGHT RIDERS

2j5jo82.png Holy shit cool signature images for your forum signatures:
screenshot20091023at548.png

They're on steam-gamer.com

l4d_sig.png

THIS ONE COULD BE YOURS, TODAY
Please use your own one and not mine it's not yours to keep

2j5jo82.png You've already seen these pics why are they still here:
2j5jo82.png Even more fanart/stuff no one cares about:
k012qf.jpg

28b7eio.jpg

2pqqdfd.gif

5ysv9u.jpg

5lb56w.jpg

bi5bid.jpg

wmiik2.png

1zlbrc7.jpg
More of these cute puppets

aew0zn.pngv74k1u.png

2m2b1fm.jpg

Left 4 Dead Ultra high res HD pack:
15xuwib.jpg

28bbgjb.jpg

Alegis on

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I promise it will be decent some day

Alegis on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh I haven't gotten a chance to play the demo. It is just sittin there on my xbox needing to be played.

TONIGHT I will make time.

Vee on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just did Death Toll in advanced difficulty with my fiancee and two friends. We're all pretty new to the game (and therefore late to the party) and had a pretty hard time with it. In the end, only two of us made it to the boat. I can't imagine how difficult it is on expert.

SteevL on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I just did Death Toll in advanced difficulty with my fiancee and two friends. We're all pretty new to the game (and therefore late to the party) and had a pretty hard time with it. In the end, only two of us made it to the boat. I can't imagine how difficult it is on expert.

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone gets smoked off the pier, a tank seperates the rest, and a boomer cleans us up.

:(

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    being new to this (just playing the l4d2 demo so far) i naturally started on normal and it left me very unimpressed. watching gore is fun for about 10 minutes. you just shoot around until you arrive at the end of the level. big deal.
    then i switched to expert really quick and realized that this was what i was looking for. its not like im good at the game so quickly, but suddenly the whole game dynamics change, its important where your teammembers are, every single step you take alone might be your end, the team is always close to dieing, the tension ramps up dramatically and it really does feel like this isn't going to end well with every step you take, which is basically exactly what i expect from an apocalyptic zombie game.
    and you know what? most of the time it doesn't, because someone makes one simple mistake, or there was that one tank that really was too much. but the thing is, all these bitter defeats make succeeding so much more satisfying then after mowing your way through a normal game that even as complete beginner I must say I don't think the game can be truly enjoyed any other way.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone gets smoked off the pier, a tank seperates the rest, and a boomer cleans us up.

I personally feel that Death Toll has the most difficult finale, unless you sit in the corner on the porch. I learned that trick last week.

Satsumomo on
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I personally feel that Death Toll has the most difficult finale, unless you sit in the corner on the porch. I learned that trick last week.

Odd, I always found DT the easiest since the minigun covers nearly all angles of approach for the hordes.

Then again, I actually use the minigun, so that makes me a bizarre person, apparently.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lol minigun. more like corner camp and melee.

also, my god, the new sniper rifle is overpowered. I just used it for the first time, and with the stopping power and the piercing it has, you can take out an entire horde by yourself before you even run out of your thirty bullets. easily my favourite weapon now.

oh and also, it is good to see that corner camping is back in a slightly less effective way with the melee weapons. machete's just carve zombies up and it is beautiful. very happy with the mechanics to the melee weapons tbh.

Duki on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Less than a week? Could it be?!

Icemopper on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    lol minigun. more like corner camp and melee.

also, my god, the new sniper rifle is overpowered. I just used it for the first time, and with the stopping power and the piercing it has, you can take out an entire horde by yourself before you even run out of your thirty bullets. easily my favourite weapon now.

The new sniper rifle has gotten me into a bit of trouble.

"Certainly with this badass weapon I can just pop off to those picnic tables by myself and nab an extra item or something while my buddies are headed over to the Gazebo. What's the worst that could happen?"

No. That didn't end well.

BloodySloth on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The pier on Death Toll finale is possibly the most nerve wracking experience I have on any of the campaigns. Everytime "Oh boy the boat is here" someone tries to get onto the boat early and gets launched into orbit.

BlindPsychic on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, did anyone else get their 4-pack reset at some point last week? It happened to me and was a big pain in the butt to figure out. (BTW, to everyone who asked me if I had a spare copy because of it, sorry but they literally reset my 4-pack and I had to send them back to the people I originally sent them to.)

I figure that either the demo going from preorder to being open to everyone, or the preload becoming available, must have tripped that up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thought I might ask this here in case anyone else has had and been able to fix this problem, but for the last two days any time i join a server with a message of the day active on it, l4d will crash. (1 and two's demo, also tf2 which leads me to believe it's a problem my computers having with the source engine.)

Oddly, the games will run without any hitches if there's no message. Hoping I figure this out before l4d 2's released.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Morrandir wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Odd, I always found DT the easiest since the minigun covers nearly all angles of approach for the hordes.

Then again, I actually use the minigun, so that makes me a bizarre person, apparently.

I've found it easiest holding out on the dock itself. The dock was the spot where I managed to get the achievement where no survivors take damage after contacting the rescue vehicle (still hard as hell, though). But it also has the best minigun placement, I agree.

WhoaFoogles on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We're so close to finding out what "suck the heads" means!

CheerfulBear on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've heard it's about eatin'. And I swear I'm gonna shoot Ellis (more often) if that's a regular line of his.

Roland_tHTG on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We should play together, Roland. I'll be Ellis and you can be Coach and we'll crack wise and shoot each other with guns like in the movies!

CheerfulBear on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We should play together, Roland. I'll be Ellis and you can be Coach and we'll crack wise and shoot each other with guns like in the movies!

I'll be Louis, because someone needs to say peels.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thread title fails; OP is passable.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Thread title fails; OP is passable.

I suggest the thread title be "grabbin a thread of puke"

but that's just me.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know what suck the heads mean.

SkutSkut on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We all know, but let's keep it a secret from CheerfulBear.
    Until he finds the search button in the last thread that is

Movitz on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so I hear this Louis character enjoys pharmaceuticals

TheySlashThem on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Only to feel them up.

Movitz on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

fascinating

tell me more

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited November 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I know what suck the heads mean.

I learned it from a Scooby Doo movie.

Nappuccino on

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adam I will moider you

Somestickguy on
    edited November 2009
    I know some people who used to play like that on Death Toll. Race from start to finish (the pier, ignoring the rescue event) on normal/advanced - jotting down intermittent score at crescendo's or safe houses.

Alegis on
    edited November 2009
    He is in fact referring to the fact that I suck at the game and end up rushing ahead and getting killed.

Somestickguy on
    edited November 2009
    Every time you feel like rushing ahead and getting killed, press the shift button.

You may release it when the suicidal urges have passed.

Alegis on
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Every time you feel like rushing ahead and getting killed, press the shift button.

THAT is a definite protip.

what

shut up

get off my forums

:x

Somestickguy on
    edited November 2009
    startin a petition to get somestinkguy banned

Somestickguy on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stuff
    More stuff
    I....

I....

I, uh....

What?

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    edited November 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Stuff
    More stuff
    I....

I....

I, uh....

What?

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?

Well one of my college friends decided to parody me

He promises to behave now

Somestickguy on
    edited November 2009
    Well one of my college friends decided to parody me

He promises to behave now
    Oooooh, ok.

PwN3d.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So about this game.

How does the special pre-order weapon work? Because as far as I know, when a random melee weapon is placed somewhere in the game world, everyone in the server sees the same weapon. How do they work in a weapon that only some people have access to?

BloodySloth on
    edited November 2009
    I heard that once someone sees the bat in one game, they'll have it unlocked for the rest of time.

The other alternative is that it just appears for that game for most people, and the ones with it 'unlocked' from the pre-order can select the bat from the start of any match on any server.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, who's everybody gonna be, and why?

I'll be Ellis, because I like doing his accent (I always do the accents for the survivors, dunno why. <3 Louis, PEELS!)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Nick, because he wears a white suit.

Alegis on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ellis, for the same reason I always played Lois.

EDIT: Err, Louis.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?