As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW-Warriors] Blizzard's perfect class. Envy us.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't imagine how people would have divined that sort of information without Omen.

forty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    forty wrote: »
    I can't imagine how people would have divined that sort of information without Omen.

KLH Threatmeter was available for the original Naxx.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure Omen was as well. My point is that it would be exceedingly difficult to figure out the targeting methodology without something telling you where each tank and DPS sits on threat.

forty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    its because due to the prevalence of addons blizzard is now either forced to design fights assuming that you have a few basic ones, or design fights assuming you don't, and give the people who do use them a big advantage.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't quite get what that has to do with Patchwerk's design.

forty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, the way Patchwerk is designed, using a threat-based mechanic, it almost requires a threat meter to be able to maximise DPS on such an DPS intensive fight, and without threat meters, even the barely accurate ones of vanilla WoW, that fight would have been ridiculously difficult and entirely down to guesswork.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thats the kind of thing we wont see ever again and it makes me sad.

trying to figure out a boss entirely by guesswork that is

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    thats the point though, you wouldn't be figuring out the design by guesswork, it would be guesswork to actually execute the fight. Am I getting close to the third tank? You could still be 30% off, but you have a feel that you might be getting close so you slow down, then wipe to enrage at 2%, and if you'd pushed harder you would have got it.

i agree, figuring out a boss strategy for yourself is a lot more fun than just learning and executing a well-known one, but thats not what patchwerk sans threat meters would be about...every single time you did the fight it would be about guesswork.

that is not fun.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    format wrote: »
    thats the kind of thing we wont see ever again and it makes me sad.

trying to figure out a boss entirely by guesswork that is

I could in theory enjoy figuring out a boss, but only if there was no repair cost, no consumable cost, a very brief run back to the fight, and almost instant buffing. Because figuring out a boss by guesswork would take forever.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Designing an encounter around stuff like voice chat or DBM stuff like buff/debuff announcments is one thing. You can at least still figure them out and get past them without the help, it might just be a bit harder to do. A threat based one though just seems especially silly to do. Because like it was said, how would you ever figure that shit out unless somebody else told you first?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i actually had some experience figuring out bosses by guesswork when Ulduar was first released, because although there were basic strategies for some fights up on the net from the PTR, they were far from accurate or exhaustive, so we had to figure everything out ourselves. and it didn't actually take that long for most fights, you could usually see what killed you and take steps to modify your strategy.

hell, the first time we did XT on 10man, we didn't realise that damaging his heart damaged him, so we killed him without touching the heart at all, since we'd heard that killing the heart activated hard mode.

however, for a fight like Patchwerk, figuring that out by guesswork without having a threat meter would be ridiculous. he looks like a tank and spank fight, and if you didn't know what Hateful Strikes were (most people in WoW know by now that a hateful strike is something a boss does to people high on threat (Gruul etc) it could be very difficult to figure out why exactly your melee DPS kept exploding.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    thats the point though, you wouldn't be figuring out the design by guesswork, it would be guesswork to actually execute the fight. Am I getting close to the third tank? You could still be 30% off, but you have a feel that you might be getting close so you slow down, then wipe to enrage at 2%, and if you'd pushed harder you would have got it.

i agree, figuring out a boss strategy for yourself is a lot more fun than just learning and executing a well-known one, but thats not what patchwerk sans threat meters would be about...every single time you did the fight it would be about guesswork.

that is not fun.
    For anyone that raided 40-man style, throttling DPS to prevent an untimely death was kind of ingrained in you by the time Naxx was an option.

I definitely wouldn't put that responsibility in front of someone now, though.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i actually had some experience figuring out bosses by guesswork when Ulduar was first released, because although there were basic strategies for some fights up on the net from the PTR, they were far from accurate or exhaustive, so we had to figure everything out ourselves. and it didn't actually take that long for most fights, you could usually see what killed you and take steps to modify your strategy.

hell, the first time we did XT on 10man, we didn't realise that damaging his heart damaged him, so we killed him without touching the heart at all, since we'd heard that killing the heart activated hard mode.

however, for a fight like Patchwerk, figuring that out by guesswork without having a threat meter would be ridiculous. he looks like a tank and spank fight, and if you didn't know what Hateful Strikes were (most people in WoW know by now that a hateful strike is something a boss does to people high on threat (Gruul etc) it could be very difficult to figure out why exactly your melee DPS kept exploding.
    Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess I just don't think that the threat surfing designed into Patchwerk is a very good mechanic. It's certainly not a fun one.
    Iroh wrote: »

that is not fun.
    For anyone that raided 40-man style, throttling DPS to prevent an untimely death was kind of ingrained in you by the time Naxx was an option.

I definitely wouldn't put that responsibility in front of someone now, though.
    The problem was that throttling DPS on Patchwerk led to berserk wipes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't is pretty lame.

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    forty wrote: »
    The problem was that throttling DPS on Patchwerk led to berserk wipes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't is pretty lame.
    Same thing with Vaelestrasz, though, for the most part, but people managed. In those days we had more problems with tank healing because of how unfriendly mana regen was to a intense spam fight like that.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but I really wish more people had experienced that since threat is becoming more and more of an issue as DPS scales in Wrath. I doubt it'll ever be as difficult as it was, of course.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Pfft, back in the day on Patchwerk before anyone knew what a hateful strike was one of the attempted strats was for Hunters to kite his ass around. I think a guild on my old server even downed him this way.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    that would be epic.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Seems fine, Anger Management sucks while tanking though because you're already getting hit, Gag Order is super useful when pulling in heroics.

815165 on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »
    Seems fine, Anger Management sucks while tanking though because you're already getting hit, Gag Order is super useful when pulling in heroics.

Gag order is also super useful when tanking in general, since it's a 10% damage increase to your highest threat move.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gag Order makes Heroic Throw so dang awesome, that I'll sometimes use it in a DPS spec and stand confused for a moment on why that caster is still standing there casting.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hi, first time poster here - what glyphs do you all recommend for heroic tanking? I'm using the deep wounds tank spec from the OP atm, with the following glyphs i slotted in ages ago without much though:

Major:
    Devastate
    Vigilance
    Shockwave

Minor:
    Bloodrage
    Command
    Thunder Clap

What should I replace?

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Replace Vigilance with Blocking.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shockwave is a pretty poor glyph, most AOE pulls wont live long enough to see the second one. I prefer cleaving and resonating power for AOE threat and blocking as the third.

815165 on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Replace Shockwave with Blocking, rather. 3 seconds off the 20 second shockwave cooldown will not help appreciably.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Change out vigilance/shockwave with cleaving/blocking. Cleaving is awesome for heroics(3 target cleave), Blocking is just great because it's pretty much a permanent 10% increase to block value.

For minors you I would recommend changing Bloodrage for Charge. The extra 5 yards on charge is wonderful to have, and you really shouldn't need to bloodrage often anyway with charge every 15 seconds and at least 2/5 shield spec in heroics. Plus, even if you do the HP cost of bloodrage is negligible.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow thanks for all the tips. I'll take care of that now (guess this means I need to find a place to fit cleave into my tank bar and stop nubbing it up so hard)

EDIT: Whats the best tanking weapon enchant? I'm still using a weapon chain but slapping a mongoose on there doesn't look half bad.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is no real clear winner for tank enchants. I think most people think Mongoose is the all around best one, then Blade Ward and Blood Draining are both considered kinda weak but have their own proponents. Weapon chain/precision aren't bad, 26 agi is a little dodge.

Really it's just a personal preference. I put blade ward on my current tank weapon, and I'll probably go for Mongoose on my next one to see if I prefer it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I use Blood Draining. TankSpot recommends it as the highest Effective Health enchant.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Blood draining? never heard of that one before.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i still say Accuracy, but I've never liked proc enchants and I tend to favour iLevel for enchants.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    blood draining is not an EH enchant i hate this misconception.

tankspot are dumb.

EH helps you survive hits. Blood Draining, which kicks in after you take the hit, therefore is not EH since it will not help you survive a hit which otherwise would kill you. And if you're taken so low by a hit that the next attack will kill you, you're gonna die by a lot more than 2k hp.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The problem with Accuracy is that for the benefit over Titanium Weapon Chain (25 crit rating) the mats are astronomical on many servers.

I picked up the sword last night from Anub 10 man Hard, the one with armor, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna put on it yet.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah Accuracy is way too expensive for what it gives over weapon chain, but thats the way with all enchants.

There's a medium enchant, which is say 10g then a very good enchant, which is 100, then the best, which is 1000g. (numbers made up to illustrate proportion). And the difference between the very good and the best is often very small.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And if you're taken so low by a hit that the next attack will kill you, you're gonna die by a lot more than 2k hp.
    On a typical boss' two-second swing timer, there's time to recover from a hit like that. I don't like to hedge my bets on small amounts of avoidance like what Mongoose gives, so the best option is Blood Draining. It's by no means a bad enchantment, and it's not frequently a life-saver, but what is really?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I added the "Solo Older Content" spec to the OP after being reminded of it in [chat] today.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GranakGranak Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I'm going to FINALLY get around to working on that warrior I've always dreamed of.

Two questions:
    1) It'll be an Alliance side warrior. Dwarf work fine? Or is there some definite benefit to rolling Draenei, or whatever else?
    2) When it comes to leveling should I just stick with Fury or Arms? Oddly enough this is the only forum my workplace doesn't ban so I can't pull up, say, the WoW forums and check on some stickied levelling threads.

Granak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, all specs have their advantages. It's basically

do you enjoy large swords? Arms.
    do you enjoy zero downtime? Fury.
    do you enjoy pulling all the mobs for the quest at once? Several times over, maybe? Prot.

and another one for fun: do you enjoy steamrolling low-level battlegrounds? Prot.

Senshi on
  • Options
    GranakGranak Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I enjoy large swords and big breasts. So, Arms is for me! Though, no downtime is certainly appealing. Hmmm.. more research needs to be done.

Granak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Out of curiosity, how does prot steamroll low-level battlegrounds?

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I for one can't wait for Blood Elf Warriors so I can faction transfer my hoof-girl with a sword and board into a hot girl with a sword and board

if you can spot a euphemism in that, it wasn't intended

Edit: well, not too low level, but anything in the mid-range is pretty much your playground. You're basically impossible to kill.

At least I was.

Senshi on
This discussion has been closed.