As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spectre's art dump and comics repository. NSF56k, H-Scroll possibly.

Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOMEYESRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
It's been a while since I did one of these, so here goes. I will be posting my stuff in here.

Here's a comic I did for a school project. The first three pages you have already seen, but I finished it now, so have a look and tell me what you think. I already know that the lower right panel of page six is terrible. I am ashamed of myself.

EDIT: the first page doesn't seem to show up on the forum for some reason. Just click the link and it will take you right to it.

comicshistorypage1jm1.jpg
comicshistorypage2yn2.jpg
comicshistorypage3fw7.jpg
comicshistorypage4yr6.jpg
comicshistorypage5pk2.jpg
comicshistorypage6ge4.jpg
comicshistorypage7fu8.jpg
comicshistorypage8ji9.jpg

I hope you all remember Kilgore Jones. Now I have time to work on it again, yay!

thkilgorejonespg0us3.jpg thkilgorejonespg1ia4.jpg thkilgorejonespg2rf6.jpg
thkilgorejonespg3ua8.jpg thkilgorejonespg4iy7.jpg thkilgorejonespg5mn1.jpg
thkilgorejonespg6qy9.jpg thkilgorejonespg7bu6.jpg thkilgorejonespg8ty9.jpg
thkilgorejonespg9vm1.jpg thkilgorejonespg10bq1.jpg thkilgorejonespg11dp0.jpg
thkilgorejonespg12zo5.jpg thkilgorejonespg13pt1.jpg thkilgorejonespg14lc7.jpg

I'll scan some more things I did recently so I have some more arts to put in here. Comments and criticism is appreciated on everything.

Spectre-x on

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love you. Seriously, mutant menengitis and all.

MagicToaster on
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So that's how Spex got his omega beams! Rad.

Deans on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, that is awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • KirkKirk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    <3 FAVORITE

- #1 Fan

Kirk on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    have my chilluns, spectre. that's all i'm saying.

mully on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You are the toppest of notches.

Lewis Rice on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I started a comic featuring pirates fighting. Why? Because by golly it's fun to do. Apologies for the last panel.

piratefight1jn7.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More pirate comics with shark projectiles please.

earthwormadam on
  • AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I meant to comment when you originally posted the stuff Spex, I'm a dick.

I guess what I could say without cramping your style is to just make some finished product for a change, all these scribbly pencils and clean as you are- it steals from your shine. I know AoB has mentioned it before but if you are to continue you must begin to put out finished work. The humour and story is a good step of evolution from your old roadtripin' comics, I just think you need to acheive a greatness beyond your awesomely animated characters and expressions. Also I think you could do with some more creative panel arrangements, rather than just rows of squares and no pacing or unique angles- the Pirate page is clearly a remedy to this though, you show constant improvement. I really dig your work, its just a matter of always pushing it further now, all the right things are in place. I only just barely feel qualified to critique your stuff, don't take it too bad m8.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to come clean here.

I used to dislike your comics when I first joined PA:AC at the beginning of '06. Don't know why really, but they just never clicked with me. The art was meh, it sounded like the character was stuck on talking about how awesome he was, etc. Humility goes a long way I suppose, and spectre-x at the beginning of PA:AC Battle Torney '06 just wasn't my bag.

These comics?

Wow.

Seriously, this is such a radical change from the initial impression I had of you before. I mean, I literally burned through every one of those pages (especially Kilgore Jones) and was still hungry for more more MORE. Everything compliments one another; the quirky story that's easily accessable to all comic book readers, an art style that doesn't take itself too seriously but still retains a sense of formality, and the jokes are delivered so fluidly and effortlessly that it ties it all into one polished product. If Kilgore Jones was an actual comic on newstands and these were sample pages expressing the try-before-you-buy mentallity i'd have no problem at all laying down my hard-earned cash to further invest more issues in the series, and I don't even read comics for christ sakes.

It's got everything I would want from a comic, and actually brings back the exiting feeling of picking up the latest issue of a comic series that has been lost in decades past.

Long story short, your comics have got the goods to deliver, and I now have a healthy respect for your work.

Anatomy, composition, page layout, yada yada yada. Don't worry about it right now; those will progress as the years go by. You're what, eighteen? The fact that you've been able to consistently churn out stuff like this at the rate you've been going is a feat unto itself already, not to mention the fact that you seem to be having a hell of a good time doing said comics and making the reader well aware that you are to boot.

Techniques can easily be taught given enough practice, but I honestly can't tell you the number of well-drawn comics i've seen that are horribly written by the same artists who drawn them just to give them an excuse to give their characters a meaning to exist in said world. They're all dressed up with nowhere to go, and proves how rare it is to find someone who just has a solid grasp on it all for a change.

Skills are one thing, don't get me wrong, but it's the ideas that come first and foremost, and from what i've seen in this topic you've got that in spades. What Antibodies said is something you should keep in mind for the future, but it isn't something you have to worry about for a good while.

This might be the longest ass-pat i've ever written on these boards, but dammit if I didn't have to congratulate you on turning someone who put all doubts on you into an avid fan.

Keep up the good work, and for the love of God start churnin' out more Kilgore Jones!

Godfather on
  • flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Character's expressions are <3. Now put some inks on those babies and put em up for sale. And take GodFather's money while you're at it.

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you're definitely great with expressions and creating unique characters which goes a long way towards doing something like this. that being said i think you could use more focus on the backgrounds and objects in some of them, nothing complex but a little different perspectives and some more elaborate work tossed in here and there.

also just cruising through your older stuff there i find it a lot more coherent and the layout of the panels and flow is a lot more engaging. the school project one has some cool dynamic poses but is kind of all over the place and basically has no backgrounds. i'm sure it was a quicker project than the kilgore panels anyhow.

i think if you tighten up the writing (clearly the artist/writer combo is not an easy thing to pull off) worked on the flow and inked them it definitely has solid potential...

that being said mad love for the scott pilgrim panel at the end i laughed, keep it up man

Axim on
    edited March 2007
    Page two of the pirate comic!

piratefight2lr6.jpg

I am very satisfied with how Silverbeard looks in the third panel.

Spectre-x on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    inks: JUST FUCKING INK IT. DO IT. I cant tell if the pirate ones are in or really dark pencil, but either way they could use more consistency in shading and solids. I've got no nit picks, just seriously, ink.

Iruka on
    edited March 2007
    The pirate ones are totally inked. But I see what you mean.

Spectre-x on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    inks: JUST FUCKING INK IT. DO IT. I cant tell if the pirate ones are in or really dark pencil, but either way they could use more consistency in shading and solids. I've got no nit picks, just seriously, ink.

:lol:

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can I just say that I love these?

Incidentally, much love if Darkseid also appears in the pirate comic. Even if he's dressed like Darkbeard, I really couldn't care less. Playing cards with the guy was freakin' hilarious.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Mister_PibblesMister_Pibbles Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just have one word - yay!

Mister_Pibbles on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Have at thee, meat!

Top notch pirate-fight comic shiz... look forward to seeing more :)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's really good.

I also like the Oblivion reference

MotherFirefly on
    edited March 2007
    Which Oblivion reference?

I accidentally made a reference? I must know now what this is.

Spectre-x on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't mean to be the only one here sounding like an asshole, but in the entire time I've been on this forum your artwork has never gotten any better or worse. I've been here for something like 3 years but I've never seen you do anything beside these really rough pencil sketchy comics, and they all look the same.

You're definitely not a bad artist, but I'm just saying it'd be nice to see what else you're capable of.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hm. In addition to shading and solids that Iruka mentioned, line widths could be something to focus on. Especially in the busier panels when the background details and important foreground objects all use essentially the same strength lines, nothing really stands out and it looks kinda smudgy as a whole.

I do love the cool dramatic poses here and there. Especially those with strong light sources.

Kilgore is great. I need to start watching those Team Munkus fights more closely.

ed:
    Tick-Tock Tom = good, Captain Camouflagebeard hiding in the line-filled shadows = bad

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    I don't mean to be the only one here sounding like an asshole, but in the entire time I've been on this forum your artwork has never gotten any better or worse.

Uh... dude? http://www.iseenothing.com/artchive/secret%20santas%202003/azure.jpg

Mayday on
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yeah the main thing right now is getting some nice inking pens or a tablet, nice thick consistent lines would make most of this stuff pretty badass

Axim on