As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Complete map collection in OP! (NSF56K)

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knife builds do take quite some skill and twitch.

You always have to keep moving, when you have lightweight you are so fast that you sometimes have trouble turning/overshooting spots (you can up your sensitivity to improve on that part) and if you, like me, only use knives and refuse to ever fire a shot, then there's a lot of "running stealth" involved to get close to people.

Every way of playing takes skill,there is no "I chopped off my hands and still get 30 kills" way of playing this.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, Ive never done it so I cant disagree with you. But the fact that it seems everyone on this forum talks about how on certain levels they constantly tear it up with the knife build, and go like 20-3, it tells me its a bit easier to do then pew pew. I mean, from what ive heard its like an automatic move to top of the charts. Its the equivilant of collaberating with Timbaland.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knife build doesn't take skill, that's a goddamn lie. I can go 30-6 or so on a knife build. Gun build, I'll be rocking more like 18-12. It's simply easier and annoying.

I mean, I'm using it. I wish it wasn't in the game, though. It definitely changes the flavor.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It all depends.

I just run around like a madman, I don't care if some dude shoots me I will run straight for him.
    I don't care if I get killed over and over again, I will not stop until I stab the guy at least once.

Others might do it differently and play it safe and then stab 25 guys and call in the nuke, but that's not me.
    It's definitely a powerful playstyle because most people just can't cope with it.
    You can "see" them going "HOLY SHIT HE IS SO FAST OMG THAT ASSHOLE KEEPS KNIFING EVERYONE WHAT THE FUCK??". It's very psychological.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See....Timbaland.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Well, Ive never done it so I cant disagree with you. But the fact that it seems everyone on this forum talks about how on certain levels they constantly tear it up with the knife build, and go like 20-3, it tells me its a bit easier to do then pew pew. I mean, from what ive heard its like an automatic move to top of the charts. Its the equivilant of collaberating with Timbaland.

You should give it a shot, it doesn't take as much finger skill:winky: but it certainly requires some quick mental thinking. First 5 rounds I used knifer build I went 5-20, 7-15, etc. Then I had a few matches where I went 1-1 K/D ratio, and I've now started being able to go 15-5 and such. It is not an automatic I win button. It takes as much skill as shooting mans, just a different type of skill.

And it is practically useless on wide open maps, unless you have a camo power up, and that doesn't exist in this game. It is a good build for certain gametypes and maps, but is not the end all be all.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, this is the list of "things that make you win":

1. You are the host.
    2. You are American while others are not.
    3. You use Knives.
    4. You pay a chinese man to play the game all day and farm XP for you.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never had any problems taking out knifers with a FAL or even an M4.

one of my best friends is king knifer, so i made a class called "Bitch smoker" that consist of a riot shield, AA-12, and a throwing knife. He tries to sneak up on me with his knife, and then I either catch him with a throwing knife or school his ass when he gets close with the AA. And when he switches back to using a gun, i just pull out the shield.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As long as you're American you don't have to be host.

The only thing you ever have to say is, "I wish I was American, this sucks." You should probably move here or play something else till they fix the servers.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, when we're talking about 'knife builds' here, are people using the actual throwing knife, or just clicking right sticks? Because if we're just talking about throwing knives, would you be better off with some sort of silenced weapon? Silent and greatly improved range. And if you're right-stick-clicking, why wouldn't you use the riot shield instead for improved defense?

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This spawn system and whoever thought it was good can go fuck themselves.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    npreecs wrote: »
    Hey, when we're talking about 'knife builds' here, are people using the actual throwing knife, or just clicking right sticks? Because if we're just talking about throwing knives, would you be better off with some sort of silenced weapon? Silent and greatly improved range. And if you're right-stick-clicking, why wouldn't you use the riot shield instead for improved defense?

Riot Shield isn't a one hit kill.

And we are talking about right stick clicking. I actually prefer tactical insertion to throwing knife, cause I can drop TI before I run in and when I die I can immediately run in again.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ive ran around with lightweight and a p90, never went less then 1-1. Its probably pretty close to the knife build. Its fun for a bit. Ill probably go a knife kick when Im off my sniper kick. Like I said, I have to try something new every few days for the game to feel fresh. Right now knivers never even see me, because nobody sees me, Im a ghost.

Unless im trying to find cover, then I die 4 times in a row.

But once I am prone, its like watching a war go on around me while I just shoot some poor dude I watched climb to the top of a building, jump 3 more and get in his spot.

The only level I cant keep my deaths under 3 in while sniping is Invasion. There are no good spots to remain undetected.

Seriously, you guys should try it. Lying down in some bushes and killing the 8 people who step on you is great fun, if only for the rush of wondering if they will see you as they walk by.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ive ran around with lightweight and a p90, never went less then 1-1. Its probably pretty close to the knife build. Its fun for a bit. Ill probably go a knife kick when Im off my sniper kick. Like I said, I have to try something new every few days for the game to feel fresh. Right now knivers never even see me, because nobody sees me, Im a ghost.

Unless im trying to find cover, then I die 4 times in a row.

But once I am prone, its like watching a war go on around me while I just shoot some poor dude I watched climb to the top of a building, jump 3 more and get in his spot.

The only level I cant keep my deaths under 3 in while sniping is Invasion. There are no good spots to remain undetected.

Seriously, you guys should try it. Lying down in some bushes and killing the 8 people who step on you is great fun, if only for the rush of wondering if they will see you as they walk by.

this sounds like it would require cold blooded and ninja of which i have neither.

edit: also it seems like the javelin would just rape people on wasteland or estate. I can't wait to try it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cold blooded pro as that , otherwise their reticule turns red and your dead.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

What build do you use to pull that off? I've played around with sniping just a bit, but I'm pretty bad at being undetected. I've seen people in 'sniper suits', but I never know what kind of outfit I'm wearing until I see it on someone elses kill cam. And I assume you're using some sort of ninja/jammer/cold-blooded/something perk build, right?

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It most certainly does require both of those things.

My one problem with the game is that sniper shots to the head without stopping power literally do not one hit kill. And that is insanely annoying. Maybe it depends on the sniper, but the w2000 takes two head shots or 3 body shots. And if someone is hiding ina bunker or a window, and you shoot them in the face, the recoil is so bad that they will probably hide before you can get shot 2 off.

Head shots should kill damnit! :(

As for the build. It depends. If I am on a map where thermal will help, its bling, cold blooded and ninja.

If I dont need thermal I havent quite figured out what to replace bling with. So I usually just keep it and use the fmj bullets with my silencer.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow singleplayer is short O.O

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cold blooded pro as that , otherwise their reticule turns red and your dead.

I have yet to get pro yet. Im like 8 away. The problem is, me and my buddies all decided to get cold blooded pro at the same time. So when a UAV or heli comes in, its a race to bust out our stinger missiles and take it down. I feel bad for the other team. Their kill streak rewards are useless.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow singleplayer is short O.O

It feels like an expansion pack more than its own game.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How's the riot shield in multiplayer? It was my absolute favorite item in CS back in the day, and I always like shieldy things in FPS's.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

My one problem with the game is that sniper shots to the head without stopping power literally do not one hit kill. And that is insanely annoying. Maybe it depends on the sniper, but the w2000 takes two head shots or 3 body shots. And if someone is hiding ina bunker or a window, and you shoot them in the face, the recoil is so bad that they will probably hide before you can get shot 2 off.

As for the build. It depends. If I am on a map where thermal will help, its bling, cold blooded and ninja.

If I dont need thermal I havent quite figured out what to replace bling with. So I usually just keep it and use the fmj bullets with my silencer.

huh?
    I consistently get 1 shot 1 kill with the barret .50 without a silencer.

Edit: also do the matchmaking servers put together high level players with other high level players or is it all based off ping? I'ved seen a few people with level 50 or so in my games but i'm wonder when you get that high does it start throwing you in games where everyone has cold blooded and ninja and then hbs and uavs are useless?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    albawarrioralbawarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow. I feel a little let down at the shortness of the single player, but i wasnt suprised!! I am very happy at how awsome the game was tho!! The bit in the
    airport and when you look into the guys eyes as he dies when you rapel down the cliff in Afgan near the end and stab him
    makes it such a diffirent game to what i normally play. I am enjoying the Special Ops and i am getting ready to try it on the hardest difficulty for funzies!!

albawarrior on
    631337217.pngbazzmahookie.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OP should have recommended Builds for MP:

Like "Blade Runner" discussed in last thread
    Marathon + Lightweight (or Cold-Blooded) + Commando

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

huh?
    I consistently get 1 shot 1 kill with the barret .50 without a silencer.

Edit: also do the matchmaking servers put together high level players with other high level players or is it all based off ping? I'ved seen a few people with level 50 or so in my games but i'm wonder when you get that high does it start throwing you in games where everyone has cold blooded and ninja and then hbs and uavs are useless?

When I first started sniping, and I used the barret and shot people in the upper neck / head, I would get head shots / one shot-one kill all the time.

Now I dont. I know some are head shots, cause all I will see is the enemies head, Ill shoot it twice and the second shot will tell me it was a head shot. I clearly hit it because I hear the "thuck" noise of bullet hitting a body.

Maybe its the silencer? Its not THAT big of a deal, sniping is still fun, but it just would be way more epic if I had confident that a head shot would do the job.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Veteran seems to be more manageable when there arent a limitless supply of enemies. I actually beat the favela mission ( I was dreading it soooooo much) in two tries. Powered my way through Wolverines! in one try, Hornets nest in two (cause I tried to leroy jenkins it)and Exodus in two tries.

Question re: the ending of the Exodus mission
    Whats the significance of the VIP in the panic room. I assume Shepard had him killed, is there some significance to the briefcase I picked up?

Also: a dumb question, Is it possible to use a weapon while using the riot shield?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm surprised to see that this story hasn't been mentioned on these forums yet-

"Yup. You read that right. Modern Warfare 2 PC now has dedicated servers.

Wait, PC gamers! Before you send Bobby Kotick a thank you letter, know that it wasn't they who did it, but rather the gamers who took Infinity Ward and Activition's attempts to lock down the game as a challenge. And bring it those gamers did, managing to hack in the developer console and enable the ability to set up dedicated servers. Keep in mind, the game hasn't even been out a week.

Perhaps some of the boycotters caught playing the game were not being hypocrites, but rather hard at work turning the highest-profile shafting of PC gamers right around, as the video below might demonstrate.

Of course, the darker side to all this newfound freedom is the ability to use it to cheat, and the servers that have been set up so far are all "ranked" and still considered "legal" by IWNet, Modern Warfare 2's console-esque matchmaking service.

Folks who like their games in "vanilla" flavor only shouldn't despair though. After all, MW2 uses anti-cheating tech from Valve, who, if nothing else, are very, very aware of what PC gamers can do, and how to deal with them.

That said, it's just a matter of time until they the first thing they did was mod it so that you can lean again.

[Thanks to Jetsetlemming for the tip!]"
    Josh Tolentin 7:00 AM on 11.16.2009, http://www.destructoid.com/modern-warfare-2-gets-dedicated-servers-via-hack-155250.phtml

Seems like a giant irony for this game.
    The system designed to stop hacking and in the process destroyed dedicated server community took less than 6 days to break.
    Is that a new record for fail?

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It was talked about. No one cares.

aBlank on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Veteran seems to be more manageable when there arent a limitless supply of enemies. I actually beat the favela mission ( I was dreading it soooooo much) in two tries. Powered my way through Wolverines! in one try, Hornets nest in two (cause I tried to leroy jenkins it)and Exodus in two tries.

Question re: the ending of the Exodus mission
    Whats the significance of the VIP in the panic room. I assume Shepard had him killed, is there some significance to the briefcase I picked up?

Also: a dumb question, Is it possible to use a weapon while using the riot shield?

I don't know the answer to your question.

But I beat Veteran in over 7 hours and wasn't too bad of playing. Kinda easy if you took your time.

Hawk on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

Weirdos

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Veteran was leagues easier in this game than in the other CoD's... I'm probably in the minority here, but it was kind of disappointing how easy it was. I sort of liked the insane difficulty/cheapness of veteran in the other games but maybe I'm just a masochist. God knows I complained about it but it felt like I accomplished something when I finally did beat it.

aBlank on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Veteran was leagues easier in this game than in the other CoD's... I'm probably in the minority here, but it was kind of disappointing how easy it was. I sort of liked the insane difficulty/cheapness of veteran in the other games but maybe I'm just a masochist. God knows I complained about it but it felt like I accomplished something when I finally did beat it.

Agreed, no matter what they do, if they take away the infinite enemies, veteran goes from a serious pain to very manageable. Expcept the timed running parts it was a cakewalk.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    akeso wrote: »

Weirdos

I just watched the video and found it rather amusing.

I'm sure those who play on dedicated servers even without cheating will be punished for liking dedicated servers because it is valve.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So if i'm understanding this right a "knife build" is usually:
    marathon, lightweight, commando with some pistol with a tac knife attached?
    you aren't running around with the knife that takes the grenade slot? (which i haven't tried using at all).

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    akeso wrote: »
    The system designed to stop hacking and in the process destroyed dedicated server community took less than 6 days to break.
    Is that a new record for fail?
    Record? Uh nope. Games get broken weeks before release. Or in Half-Life 2's case, like half a year before release the build is put out and people are playing it and modding it and whatever.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    you aren't running around with the knife that takes the grenade slot? (which i haven't tried using at all).

That's the throwing knife. You can use that too if you like, but since you can only throw it once (until you pick it up again) it's not your main weapon. Your main weapon is the "click-right-stick" melee attack.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    People are referring to the click stick knife every weapon has. Tac knife helps. Grenade slot knife (Throwing knife) is not a requirement.

And the build is hard. someone complaining you can get 30-2 in it? well every fucking match I see several people with 50 or 60 and 2 using guns. And it's hard to pull off just like everything else. If you're facing each other, the gun will win. If the knife has it's back turned to the gun, the gun will win. If the gun has its back turned to the knife, the knife has to chase the gun down for about 10-20 seconds where half of the time the gun turns around and wins. Then maybe the knife wins.

Knife build is hard and the person whining about knife builds is just butthurt.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    knifing isnt instawin, but its a lot of fun. warping up on someone and knifing them in the face is the best feeling ever.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pika Puff, I love you in multiple ways and all of them involve cat ears.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

A lot of the time, people are saying how many kills they're getting with their killstreaks when they have a great K/D ratio in a round like that. It's almost a guarantee that your kills in a round where you're getting into 20+ kills, a fair share of those are from your killstreak rewards. If you get a chopper gunner on an open map full of noobs without a Stinger, you're guaranteed to rack up an amazing score. It's honestly like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't find it fun, I just feel pity.

Admittedly, it IS a little too easy to knife fools in this game though. My favourite build on smaller maps is definitely a sub-machine gun (P90) with lightweight, marathon and commando. I was running that before I even read it on here. On Highrise, this build is just made of steel and rape.

I'd really like to see a playlist that removes killstreaks entirely or disables all airsupport while retaining killstreaks that don't involve death raining from the sky.

I still enjoy this game immensely, balance issues aside. When playing this game with a group of friends the communicate, this game is glorious fun.

I had an amazing throwing knife kill against a sniper yesterday. I threw it at least 50 yards, arced it up through a window and took him out. He left the game immediately. :lol:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png