As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Family Affair!

12345679»

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My sister ruins jokes by explaining them after she has heard them. Every single time.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My sister ruins jokes by explaining them after she has heard them. Every single time.

My sister's favorite joke: what's brown and sticky?
    a stick!

tastypastry on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My sister's favorite joke: what's brown and sticky?
    a stick!

that depends on where the stick has been..

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I also love that joke

What's brown and rhymes with Snoop?
    Dr. Dre!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I also love that joke

What's brown and rhymes with Snoop?
    Dr. Dre!

she will love that! whoa, i think you are the same age as Em.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I need to stop being the same age as people's sisters

BRB, leaving the internet, living in a cave, staring at shadows on the wall

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AMP'd how old are you really?

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I know. Maybe you got to school with her. Maybe she will be your prom date.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am of an age that "maybe she will be your prom date" is a valid concern

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some economist argued that the best marriages are between cheap people and spendthrifts, so they can balance each other out. This is absolutely true with my folks. My mom's an expert penny-pincher, especially when it comes to clothes, and then my dad will surprise us all with reservations at a restaurant or fancy dresses. Goddamn that man is good at shopping for women -- better than I've ever been.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

My brother is awesome, but I know I've said that in this thread already. He's also handsome and funny, is getting his degree in something useful (unlike his sister), and is learning how to cook and how to dance.

On the downside, he (like my parents) is not interested remotely in politics or activism, and he has a sad tendency to like crappy music.

Celandine, my dad dresses himself beautifully and can't shop for me or my mother to save his life. I'm pretty jealous here.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i'm pretty sure my grandma may have killed a few germans during the war. she always talks about how she had two german rifles, a luger, and a couple hand grenades under the floorboard of her house and how she suddenly decided one day to leave occupied france for sicily after the americans had liberated the island. before i just accepted that, yeah, okay, she was heavily armed because her country was occupied. but now i wonder how she got all that hardware in the first place. also she hates eating bread and potatoes because that's all she had to eat during the war.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

My brother is awesome, but I know I've said that in this thread already. He's also handsome and funny, is getting his degree in something useful (unlike his sister), and is learning how to cook and how to dance.

On the downside, he (like my parents) is not interested remotely in politics or activism, and he has a sad tendency to like crappy music.

Celandine, my dad dresses himself beautifully and can't shop for me or my mother to save his life. I'm pretty jealous here.

Yeah, we're kind of lucky. I think he got it from being a ladies' man in his youth.

I get irritated at my sister because she doesn't read the newspaper. I get it, not everybody has strong political views, but you're not going to read the goddamn news? I asked her "So what do you talk about with your friends?" She just laughed and said that not everybody is a nerd like me.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i'm pretty sure my grandma may have killed a few germans during the war. she always talks about how she had two german rifles, a luger, and a couple hand grenades under the floorboard of her house and how she suddenly decided one day to leave occupied france for sicily after the americans had liberated the island. before i just accepted that, yeah, okay, she was heavily armed because her country was occupied. but now i wonder how she got all that hardware in the first place. also she hates eating bread and potatoes because that's all she had to eat during the war.

Wow, that's awesome.
    My grandfather died before I was born, but he was in the Resistance and blew up quite a few Nazis.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My grandfather survived the Holocaust

I am sad that I never got to meet him

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My family lived outside of Munich and when Hitler showed up they had some rich NY relatives who could vouch for them bring them over before shit got bad. My Italian side left Sicily after WWI.

Added: My grandfather met my grandmother because he was the block air raid warden. He was doing a drill and my grandmom opened a window and told him to shut up because my great-great-grandmother was trying to sleep. And then my grandpa asked her out and then they got married and had my dad.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    celandine wrote: »

Wow, that's awesome.
    My grandfather died before I was born, but he was in the Resistance and blew up quite a few Nazis.

my grandfather, her husband, was a road builder in tunisia when the germans took the country and spent the entire war in hiding trying to come up with a plan to escape. when him and his friend put the plan into action they found a british soldier just strolling down the street who told them that the germans had been pushed out of africa months ago.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    that was before they were married, though. after that he went home to sicily and i guess met my grandma, who was working for the graves registration department of the US Army

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You guys just reminded me of a story of a couple separated after war for many years and then reunited. There are lots of stories like that but they get me every time.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My family lived outside of Munich and when Hitler showed up they had some rich NY relatives who could vouch for them bring them over before shit got bad. My Italian side left Sicily after WWI.

Added: My grandfather met my grandmother because he was the block air raid warden. He was doing a drill and my grandmom opened a window and told him to shut up because my great-great-grandmother was trying to sleep. And then my grandpa asked her out and then they got married and had my dad.

things were simpler then

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You guys just reminded me of a story of a couple separated after war for many years and then reunited. There are lots of stories like that but they get me every time.

oh my goodness

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I love that they took each other's names.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Also $222 to renew my passport :'(

Now that fucking sucks. How the hell is it so much? Can't all be postage?

Well there is only a ten day turn-around, so it's pretty fast

Janson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    So I'm being forced to take three vacation days over Christmas (and I only get 10 a year anyhow) so thinking I may go back to the UK then

I'd miss my first wedding anniversary and my first Christmas as a married person but then again if I don't go now I won't have enough vacation accrued to visit for a whole other year

Downside is that to get a cheap flight (i.e. half the cost of most flights) I'd have to arrive on Christmas Day and return on New Year's Day but oh well guess that's what I get for being 6,000 miles apart from family

e-mailing my dad and hoping he'll split the cost with me

Dude, 10 days is pretty low, even by American standards. You should ask about that!

It is a start-up; many of the managers haven't even taken their vacation at all since they started working

and I'm bottom-rung

Janson on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    So I'm being forced to take three vacation days over Christmas (and I only get 10 a year anyhow) so thinking I may go back to the UK then

I'd miss my first wedding anniversary and my first Christmas as a married person but then again if I don't go now I won't have enough vacation accrued to visit for a whole other year

Downside is that to get a cheap flight (i.e. half the cost of most flights) I'd have to arrive on Christmas Day and return on New Year's Day but oh well guess that's what I get for being 6,000 miles apart from family

e-mailing my dad and hoping he'll split the cost with me

Dude, 10 days is pretty low, even by American standards. You should ask about that!

It is a start-up; many of the managers haven't even taken their vacation at all since they started working

and I'm bottom-rung

I'd say go, and make it up to husband when you get back :winky:

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hope no one's posted this
    But if someone has I don't really care
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpb2rlmqjsA

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well Janson, theoretically you will have another three days saved up by say april (and you can always take an extra day off) and the money you will save by not travelling in peak would be a lot.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Well Janson, theoretically you will have another three days saved up by say april (and you can always take an extra day off) and the money you will save by not travelling in peak would be a lot.

Maybe the days don't roll over. Our aunt loses her time off if she doesn't take it that year.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Maybe the days don't roll over. Our aunt loses her time off if she doesn't take it that year.

That would really suck, and I'm not sure how that would work... at least where I work PTO represents money the company owes you, so you just can't lose it.

Though I should note we only get PTO, so there's no separate sick days, sabbaticals, etc.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

You're correct in that I would have another three days saved up by April, but only three days; however in December I have the 24th, 25th and 31st off anyway. So I can visit my family for eight days instead of just five (assuming three days + weekend).

And if I travel on the 24th and the 1st the ticket is about the same as I usually pay off-peak anyway, hurrah for unpopular travel days.

Plus, Christmas is a great time to visit because all my family is in one place. If I visit at another time of the year I won't get to see half my siblings.

So it looks like I am going! I'm having to work very hard, though, to assure Mori's parents that yes, I still like them, and no, I have not grown tired of California. His mother actually said 'we thought maybe you've begun to hate us'. She's far too paranoid!

Janson on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah

I love my mother but she is way more paranoid than me, which is saying something

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah

I love my mother but she is way more paranoid than me, which is saying something

I think this is true for everyone. At least, it's true for me.

Have fun, Janson!

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's my family story that's going to unravel.

As some of you know (and have been really supportive, by the way), my dad is going through some shit. Long story short, he's under house arrest and will get sentenced by the courts in early 2010. Obviously that means him and my mom can't leave for Thanksgiving. Not a big deal because me and my sisters are going down to hang out with them for the long weekend.

Enter my bitch of a cousin. We always spend Thanksgiving together and given that its a shitty situation this year, we just assumed that everyone would come down to my parent's place (they live 2 hours away from each other). Well my cousin (who is nearing 30) is like "I don't want to have to put my dog in a kennel, plus I want to cook in my own kitchen for Thanksgiving, etc." (Basically she was just using weak excuses to not come over). I called her and calmly stated that none of the adults really care about turkey or thanskgiving dinner, and neither do the kids (kids being me, my sisters, and my two cousins, all of which are between ages 24 and 30). I also stressed that no one knows what is going to happen with my dad in the next 12 months, and that sadly, he might not even be around next year. She started making more bullshit excuses. Finally I told her to knock that shit off and that if she doesn't want to come down, then she doesn't have to, just don't make bullshit excuses and don't do us any favors. She called me back the next day, apologized, and said that they'd come down because the family is important and that I made some good points about that.

Now I found out that she invited some random family friends over for Thanksgiving (first time this has ever been done in this family) and now her excuse for not coming is that she has to cook for these people who are coming over.

tl;dr: My cousin is a cunt

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    MannyMannequinMannyMannequin Registered User new member
    Zoel wrote: »

Apologies for the years old necro, I was looking up stuff about the episode I was in and came across this guy claiming to be my relative and that we did the show twice. I'm 9 years late but I'm still gonna call you out on your shit lmao

My post-wifeswap proof of fetus me with baby niece:
    ch8qj65xz0b9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.