As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
Okay, so there's a recession on, and I don't know about you, but I'm trying to stretch my comics buying dollars as far as possible. There's already a site for cheap ass gamers to share info on good video game related deals, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread here for us to do the same for comic books. Sales, memberships that give a discount, discounts and the like would be welcomed. As a general rule, don't post any deals that are only available at a local store. Unless it's otherwise verified as a national promotion, use YMMV (your mileage may vary) to identify sales at national chain stores.

I'd like to organize this stuff into these general categories:

Deals (B1G1 Free, Free Swag with purchase, etc)
Sales
Clearance (limited quantities on sale)
Discounts
FREE

And we can denote the origin of the deal in question by these identifiers.

B&M (Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc)
Online (HeavyInk, Mile High, etc)
Direct Subs (Marvel Direct, DC subscriptions, etc)
Digital (EyeMelt, iVerse, etc)

I'll try to maintain this thread as I see new deals pop up, and feel free to add anything you see as well.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Post Reserved for Current Deal Information

Deals

[B&M] (UK ONLY) Buy 2 get 1 free on TPBs at Waterstones

Sales

Discounts

[Online] 20% off everything at www.heavyink.com

Direct Subscriptions
    MARVEL Direct
    [Online, Direct Subs] Current Subscribers - 12 issues for $17.97. Use codes J96QPS or J99QPS to get the discount.
    [Online, Direct Subs] Current Subscribers - X-Men Party pack: 12 issues each of New Mutants, X-Men Legacy, and Dark Wolverine for $49.97. Use code J96QPM to get the discount.
    [Online, Direct Subs] Current Subscribers - Marvel Knights Special: 12 issues each of Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Vengeance of the Moon Knight for $49.97. Use code J99QPM to get the discount.
    [Online, Direct Subs] New Subscribers - 12 issues for $24.97, $22.97 each for two or more titles
    [Online, Direct Subs] New Subscribers - 36 issues of Amazing Spider-Man for $49.97
    [Online, Direct Subs] New Subscribers - X Triple Pack: 12 issues each of Wolverine: Weapon X, X-Factor, and X-Force for $49.97

DC
    [Online, Direct Subs] New Subscribers - 12 issues for $24.99/$29.99

[DIGITAL]
    [Online] Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited - 12 months for $59.88

FREE

[Online] Various free (to read) comics at Marvel Online
    [Online] Various free (to read) comics at Boom Studios
    [Online] Spider-Woman and Astonishing X-Men motion comics on Hulu

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Marvel had the first two issues of Hickman's FF run up to read for free here. They also have other free issues up like Aaron's Wolverine Weapon X #1 or DD Noir #1.

It's free!

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    Right, Marvel Online does have a bunch of stuff for free on the DCU service.

Also, check out that SLG Comics sale. Their store carries more than just SLG titles. For instance, you can get the first four volumes of Scott Pilgrim for $28.68. The sale is only good through Monday (11/23) though.

wwtMask on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't see any such sale on Scott Pilgrim, mask.

Edit: Oh, wait, it pops up when you put shit in your cart.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2009
    I don't see any such sale on Scott Pilgrim, mask.

The discount applies to the cart. Add the comics and then check the cart and you'll see the discount.

EDIT: Okay, you saw it right as I posted.

wwtMask on
    edited November 2009
    I already have Scott Pilgrim, but I did end up buying a To Catch a Thief t-shirt. Yay Cary Grant!

Robos A Go Go on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know this is probably more of a US/Canada thing but it's worth noting that in the UK Waterstones usually has a permanent buy 2 get one free offer on the trades they sell.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    I know this is probably more of a US/Canada thing but it's worth noting that in the UK Waterstones usually has a permanent buy 2 get one free offer on the trades they sell.

Link?

Also, if you don't do this already, consider buying your trades through Amazon. Their prices are often 20 to 30% off the cover price. Even better, though, is the "Buy Used or New" option. Depending on the age and popularity of a title, you can sometimes get deep discounts (50% or more off) on trades from third party vendors that sell through Amazon. I've seen some three or four year old TPBs going for less than $2. Keep in mind, though, that shipping is $3.99 per item.

wwtMask on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

Link?

Also, if you don't do this already, consider buying your trades through Amazon. Their prices are often 20 to 30% off the cover price. Even better, though, is the "Buy Used or New" option. Depending on the age and popularity of a title, you can sometimes get deep discounts (50% or more off) on trades from third party vendors that sell through Amazon. I've seen some three or four year old TPBs going for less than $2. Keep in mind, though, that shipping is $3.99 per item.

It tends to be more physical brick and mortar stores that do this.

I don't think their website even mentions the deals.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Ok, updated the 2nd post. Also, if you're trying to get in on that SLG sale, note that the Scott Pilgrim volumes are probably going to be gone soon. 1 and 2 are already sold out. They do have other good stuff, like Watchmen, Umbrella Academy volume 1, and Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter.

wwtMask on
    edited November 2009
    They also have Swamp Thing Volume 1, though it's not much cheaper than on Amazon. Still, if you're ordering other stuff, you could throw it in.

Robos A Go Go on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    www.bookdepository.co.uk offers free shipping worldwide, and provides comparison prices to Amazon so you can check the difference. They have a surprisingly good selection of trades available, plus normal books too.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited December 2009
    FYI, if you can access Hulu, they have the Astonishing X-Men and Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD motion comics free for your viewing pleasure.

wwtMask on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can forum members advertise personal sales here? I'm looking to get rid of my entire single issue BMB Daredevil collection to make room for the omnibus's. If that is against forum rules then never mind.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to advertise stuff like that, except for in your sig.

wwtMask on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Via 4th Letter, Barnes and Nobles has the following TPBs on sale for as cheap as $3.99, both online and in-store:

Killraven
    New Avengers v.6: Revolution
    Silver Surfer: Requiem
    Supreme Power v.2
    Spider-Man: One More Day
    Spider-Man: Reign
    Punisher War Journal v.2: Goin’ Out West
    New Fantastic Four
    Red Prophet v.1
    Defenders: Indefensible
    Mighty Avengers v.1: The Ultron Initiative
    Wolverine: Evolution (Black & White)
    Marvel Zombies: The Covers

Munch on
    edited January 2010
    Ooooh, there are some good ones, there, like SS: Requiem and Defenders: Indefinsible. And I love how the OMD HC is only $4.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit, I'm on it. Good one, Munch.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2010
    Found some more bargains at B&N:

Essential Iron Man vol. 1 - $3.99
    Batman: Year 100 - $3.99
    Snake Woman vol 2 - $1.99
    Dave Stewart's Walk In - $1.99
    Walking Dead vol. 1 - $5.34
    Wonder Woman: Lifelines - $4.47
    Robin: Flying Solo - $5.82

wwtMask on
    edited January 2010
    Do the brick & mortar stores have these lower prices marked on the books or a bargain bin for them, or will I only know about a discount after the thing has been rung up?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2010
    No clue about that, Robos.

So I went ahead and got 7 books, all for a total of $27.88. I opted for shipping rather than hoping the local B&N would have everything I wanted. 3 day shipping is free on orders over $25. I'm getting:

Killraven
    Silver Surfer: Requiem
    Spider-Man: Reign
    Defenders: Indefensible
    Essential Iron Man vol. 1
    Batman: Year 100
    Dave Stewart's Walk In

Once again, great find, Munch.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2010
    The only thing I'm interested in is Batman: Year 100.

Maybe Killraven too, though I don't know anything about it.

Anyway, that's not enough to make a $25 purchase, and I'll be near a B&N tomorrow anyway.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2010
    What, no Essential Iron Man? It's all Silver Age-y and stuff. I heard good things about SS: Requiem and Spider-Man:Reign, and I got Killraven based solely on my appreciation for Alan Davis' art.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2010
    Ah, you're right, some of these books are pretty good for the price they're being offered at. I bought the same stuff as you, minus Reign and Walk In and plus Supreme Power.

Robos A Go Go on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Newbury Comics is having a buy one get one free on single issues today.

deadonthestreet on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do the brick & mortar stores have these lower prices marked on the books or a bargain bin for them, or will I only know about a discount after the thing has been rung up?

There will be several shelves/tables of discounted books at the front of the store in most cases, with a discounted price sticker on them. Usually the brick and mortar Barnes and Nobles will have the same graphic novels as online, but with a $1 markup. I got all of the hard cover Dark Towers trades, Fallen Son, Punisher: War Journal (because the Captain Punisher cover is ridiculous and awesome), and Silver Surfer the other day and they were only $5 or $6 a piece.

Hensler on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey dudes who are in or around New York City: Midtown Comics is going to be having their annual President's Week in-store sale starting tomorrow (Feb 13th) and ending on Friday (Feb 19th).

The sale will be this: 40% off of all graphics novels, trades, books, and manga at both NYC stores. Furthermore, they will also have 40% off all back issues from Feb 18th to 24th at the Grand Central Station location.

I stress, this is an in-store sale only. Last year, I waited until Wednesday to go, and by then the shelves were considerably emptier at both locations than they usually are. There are a lot of nerds in New York, so I suggest you get there early in the week if you want to have the largest possible selection.

Delduwath on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thread bumped because someone made a duplicate thread.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saw this go up today for those who like mystery and adventure!

50 random DC comics: $10

http://www.graveyardmall.com/dcco50raco.html

edit: sorry for making a new thread my settings don't show any threads off the first page.

cardboard delusions on
    edited March 2010
    14.99 Marvel Omnibuses

Daredevil
    Secret Wars
    Ultimates
    and more

Come on guyz, dis is da bomb.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Madman Gargantua, the 800+ page collection of all the Madman books prior to the recent relaunch, is also on sale for $14.99 That's like an 75% discount. The Criminal Hardcover is also on sale. That's a Marvel book, but it doesn't show up in the search.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Invincible Ultimate Collection's also $14.99.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    So is the Complete Invincible Library, another 800 page behemoth that usually sells for $100.

Unfortunately, nobody has fucked up with the pricing for the Absolute DC books, which sucks because I'd probably have a heart attack if I could get Absolute Sandman for cheap.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OH GOD MY WALLET

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Alright, I ended up getting Criminal, Madman, Complete Invincible, and Golden Age Marvel. Can't waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiitttt.

I was iffy on Golden Age Marvel because I don't actually enjoy retro books, but apparently it has essays and bonus material looking at the stuff from a historical perspective, which I'll probably enjoy.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    Also, Bone.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Fuck it, I'm going to get the Secret Wars 2 omnibus now, along with Bendis Daredevil vol.2 omnibus.

wirehead26 on
    edited March 2010
    I bought the Secret Wars I, the Wolverine and the Brubaker DD omnibus, and I didn't even like half those Brubaker stories. At that price you can't beat it.

If only the Captain Britain one was 14.99.....

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    I already have the Secret Wars trade and quite frankly the Secret Wars Omnibus is a rip-off at $100 considering the content. Even at $15 I don't want to bother since I've read the thing like 50 times now.

wirehead26 on
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I bought the Secret Wars I, the Wolverine and the Brubaker DD omnibus, and I didn't even like half those Brubaker stories. At that price you can't beat it.

If only the Captain Britain one was 14.99.....

I REALLY wish the Iron Fist one was 14.99.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png