As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things to do in Denmark

QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Specifically Copenhagen. I'm doing a large backpacking tour of Europe next year going from May to July. I've mapped out most of it but I was thinking of going to Denmark, simply because I can.

We'll be spending some time in Berlin then I was contemplating spending a few days in Copenhagen on the way to Norway. Though I have no idea what to do while I'm there, or even if I should bother? Are there any other areas worth paying a visit to?

Keep in mind I'll only have 3-4 days to spare and I'll be traveling with one of my mates.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Qliphoth on

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Copenhagen is expensive, like, $13 (Australian) for an average coffee kind of expensive. But it's a lovely city; very green and pedestrian friendly. You'd probably want to check out Christiania for its uniqueness.

I will say that the Danes know how to cook an excellent steak.

I didn't spent long there myself but really it's a great city to just walk around in for a couple of days, especially along the waterfront. The Tivoli Gardens are really pretty at night, with lots of lanterns, but again, admission is pricey (if I remember correctly).

Janson on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Copenhagen is great, but I agree on the pricey thing. It's not cheap.

Tivoli Gardens is very fun, it's an amusement park type thing with rides and games and stuff. A bunch of restaurants in there too.

The Little Mermaid statue is in the northern part of the city, and is constantly surrounded by tourists. But if you're there, you should go see it.

There are several musuems in the city too. Rosenborg Slot is a nice one, it's all about the royal family and has the preserved offices for the last couple of Kings. I found it interesting :) .

The Marble Chuch is kind of cool too, it's a big domed thing. It's very close to the royal palace, Amalienborg too.

Nyhavn is interesting. It's basically a bar/restaurant street on the water where everyone gets their food and eats outside next to the water. Weekends you'll see folks drinking like crazy in that area. Expect lots of tourists.

There are canal tours on boats that I found fun. They cruise around and give highlights on landmarks and history.

There's also a ferry over to Malmo, Sweden if you want to check that out. I didn't get a chance to while I was there, but several folks in our group did and said it was nice.

And are you only going to be in Copenhagen? There's lots of stuff to do in Denmark if you get the chance to get around a bit. I spent a week in Denmark post-engagement with my fiance (now wife). We stayed in B&Bs the whole time (on farms and stuff).

A small warning about Christiania, it's hippy-ville. Complete with Pusher Street where folks sell pot (next to big signs saying "no cameras!"). It's a very strange, and sad, place in my opinion.

One of my favorite places in Denmark was the Knuthenborg Safari Park. But it's a bit aways from Copenhagen, and it's a "drive through" park so you'd need a car. Being able to park the car and walk right up to all the animals was very cool (except the tigers, no getting out of the car with the tigers).

Selner on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Selner wrote: »
    There's also a ferry over to Malmo, Sweden if you want to check that out. I didn't get a chance to while I was there, but several folks in our group did and said it was nice.

I agree with everything else but, really, if you're going to Malmo you should take the fuckawesome bridge that we've got with trains leaving every 10-20 minutes. The train is cool - ferry not so much.

Daxon on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, take the train to malmo. lund is nice too, I used to live there =)

geckahn on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Doh! You all are correct, and my memory is faulty. There is a train to Malmo. I think my brain just assumed it was a ferry because it was across the water, but thinking about it some more I remember folks talking about a bridge and train.
    I didn't actually go myself.

Selner on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    The women in Denmark are both loosey goosey and hot as hell.

I'd say walk into a posh hotel, ask the consierge where the hottest discotechque is, put on your freshest pair of nike's and make friendly with the locals.

Also, chicks dig confident (but not arrogant) American boys.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Copenhagen had a cool amusement park/fair thing when I went there. Go there and try a few rides.

Casual on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    Specifically Copenhagen. I'm doing a large backpacking tour of Europe next year going from May to July. I've mapped out most of it but I was thinking of going to Denmark, simply because I can.

We'll be spending some time in Berlin then I was contemplating spending a few days in Copenhagen on the way to Norway. Though I have no idea what to do while I'm there, or even if I should bother? Are there any other areas worth paying a visit to?

Keep in mind I'll only have 3-4 days to spare and I'll be traveling with one of my mates.

Well as a Dane I think should offer my 2 cents or rather 2 øre (local currency).

I think you will find plenty of great sights in and around Copenhagen but here is a few to start with (If you let on what gets you going I could be more specific):

- Our women :winky:
    - City centre. An area called "Strøget" which is a few miles of streets that only allows pedestrians. I'm guessing you're not going to shop like a couple of Japanese tourists but it is also a great way to get a feel for city and it's people.
    - Architecture. You will find that Copenhagen is an old city but there is also a lot of new architecture. For example the danish stock exchange which is, partly, based in a building from 1620.
    - Design. There are several museums covering Danish design in different forms and also some very nice shops specializing in classic furniture. Some designers are also architects and for example when Arne Jacobsen did the SAS Royal Hotel he also did the chairs and what not. Some of which you are used to seeing in anything from James Bond Movies to MTV Cribs. He also did a gas station which is now an Ice cream shop 8-)
    - Night life. Especially in the summer time a lot is going on. The sun sets really late and rises early so the night is short and weather usually lets you stay out round the clock
    - Parks. We have the great fortune of having many parks in the city and not really the type of "do not touch the grass". A picnic is minutes away on foot regardless of where you are and there is even a cemetery in use as a park (including people sunbathing topless)!

Public transport in Copenhagen great with buses and two train systems. However when in the center of town a better option is the city bikes. They are free to use and as this is a bike friendly town it is the best way to get round

One can do a great one day trip up the north coast from Copenhagen taking advantage of a train line with convenient stops along the way. First some 25 miles north of Copenhagen there is a Modern art museum named Louisiana which sits right on the coast in park like surroundings. After seeing Warhol, Picasso, Giacometti... one can continue another 25 miles to visit Helsingør. It is an old harbor city which is guarded by the Kronborg castle (The one Shakespeare used in Hamlet). Then on the way back to Copenhagen there is Bakken which is a amusement park that traces its history back to 1583. It is situated in a Forrest and one way to get there is a horse carriage trip from the train station.

Finally - if you're Europe trip takes you past Sienna you will see that the Copenhagen city hall and square is inspired by the town square in that wonderful Italian city.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He could do a Louisiana/Arken combo, if he's into art.

Some good advice in general so far, except that I'd stay away from Christiania. It's a miserable little excuse for a "tourist attraction".

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Also, chicks dig confident (but not arrogant) American boys.

many many times when I was in sweden and denmark the revelation that I was American to a cute girl at a bar or club resulted in a very quick route to making out. They love Americans over there.

geckahn on
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the info guys I will definitely be hitting Copenhagen it seems, though it seems unfortunate that I'm not American, I'm Australian.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the info guys I will definitely be hitting Copenhagen it seems, though it seems unfortunate that I'm not American, I'm Australian.

What're the chances of them knowing the difference?

Edit: Just don't mention dropbears.

Cervetus on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

The chances are 1:1. He'll have more luck passing himself of as a Englishmen, but why would he want to?

Are you a man of beers, Qliphoth? In that case, Charlie's Pub is what you want and need. It's run by a couple of Englishmen and has perhaps the greatest dedication to beer quality that you can come across. If I still lived in Copenhagen, chances of meeting me there would be high indeed.

I'd say keep away from Strøget. It's overcrowded and really only interesting if you want to spend money. There's a Shawarma place at the beginning of it though, right across from the McDonalds. Get your ass into that shawarma place and order up a shawarma dish with hummus on the side. I decree it!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do public restrooms require loose change to be used in Denmark? In some countries it's custom that they do and some not. Can be confusing (and possibly a very stressful and embarrasing emergancy) if you're from somewhere they don't.

Siska on
    edited November 2009
    Yes, a lot of them will require that.

Grislo on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grislo wrote: »

Hmm - it must be a different Copenhagen than the one I live in. I would say if we are talking a restroom which is not located in a cafe or similar but like on a square then some do but otherwise I can't recall a single place - even including train stations and so:!::?:

Also the whole trying to act like an American please don't. First of all most Danes will spot the accent from down under and secondly it is not like anyone has a grudge against Australians. If anything it is more likely someone might hold a grudge against an American but unless your name is Bush I'd say even that is unlikely :mrgreen:

Oh btw. Almost anyone here speaks English and almost anywhere one can pay using international credit cards. Paying with plastic, mostly debit not credit cards, is used more than using cash. In fact I hardly carry any cash at all (and this includes coins). Also tipping is included in the price so unless you got service very much above and beyond good then there is no need to add anything.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
    edited November 2009

Hmm - it must be a different Copenhagen than the one I live in. I would say if we are talking a restroom which is not located in a cafe or similar but like on a square then some do but otherwise I can't recall a single place - even including train stations and so:!::?:

A restroom in a cafe or something like that isn't really what I would consider a public restroom. It will vary, but there are certainly a lot of Danish public restrooms that require 2 kroner for access.

Grislo on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Copenhagen is pretty cool, I went there in Summer 07 for a couple of days. It is a great city just to wander about aimlessly.

You should take a tour around the harbour/canals if you have the time. Some of the buildings are just amazing - the Royal Library (Black Diamond?) is pretty cool.

Then of course there are the usual range of good museums/galleries that any big European city has.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Most places won't have that requirement, some will, if you think it will be an issue then bring some change.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

The chances are 1:1. He'll have more luck passing himself of as a Englishmen, but why would he want to?

Are you a man of beers, Qliphoth? In that case, Charlie's Pub is what you want and need. It's run by a couple of Englishmen and has perhaps the greatest dedication to beer quality that you can come across. If I still lived in Copenhagen, chances of meeting me there would be high indeed.

Yes I am very much a lover of beers. And thats a great endorsement I will go there for sure.

Also the whole trying to act like an American please don't. First of all most Danes will spot the accent from down under and secondly it is not like anyone has a grudge against Australians. If anything it is more likely someone might hold a grudge against an American but unless your name is Bush I'd say even that is unlikely

Haha, theres no chance of me pretending to be American, I was joking.

Peter Ebel wrote: »

I'd say keep away from Strøget. It's overcrowded and really only interesting if you want to spend money. There's a Shawarma place at the beginning of it though, right across from the McDonalds. Get your ass into that shawarma place and order up a shawarma dish with hummus on the side. I decree it!

Done and done. I had to google shawarma, but yeah I enjoy the occasional kebab so that place sounds good.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]