As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony Hawk: Ride - Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom

• truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just like LewieP said, people have different opinions.
    of course people have different opinions. do we need to post up a Mr. Obvious pic? He only stated that in sarcasm to be an ass. Like this next quote is the same
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Go buy the game and report back to us. We obviously need another unbiased viewpoint in this innovative take on skateboarding games.

Isn't that the entire point of these forums? This reeks of sarcasm and what have you added to the discussion? maybe I should go post this in every thread, we need another take in the MW2 thread about FPS, or RPGs in the Dragon Age forum, etc......

I just wanted to discuss the game and reviews surrounding it, how horrible I know.
    I don't care that they spent the bulk of their time in easy mode. How is that different from any other game review? You don't really think that every game with multiple difficulties gets played on every level? In fact, most full game reviews get bashed because "they didn't play it in hard mode" when they report that it's too easy or boring. How is it different from reading a review where the reviewer just can't play Guitar Hero on Hard and scores it low because of it? That guy played the full game but might be misrepresenting it just as much as a video showing an average user's experience.

When I see people having problems, I don't immediately expect that "more time with it will solve the issue." My impression is that if they are having this much trouble with something that used to be a simple button press, the game is sure to be full of similar issues. It's not worth taking that extra time to work through the game's shortcomings when you could just bust out THPS3 and be grinding like a pro again.

I see where you are going about reviews in easy mode, but there is a world of difference in this game of on easy mode you are on rails and other modes not. But you are right that in the simple mode if they are having issues the rest of the game is probably full of them. There have been some games in my experience though that there may be a horrible learning curve, but once you get past it there is a good game behind it which is what I've been wondering about on this.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Except what you're complaining about isn't a review, but a quick look video.

Kyougu on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The fact that no one out of a sizeable pack of video game enthusiasts who happily spend lots of money to be the first to buy interesting new tech actually bought the game speaks volumes.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The fact thatno one out of a sizeable pack of video game enthusiasts who happily spend lots of money to be the first to buy interesting new tech actually bought the game speaks volumes.

I was thinking the same thing.

For gods sake, at least some of us even bought the PSPGo. :P

Kyougu on
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The fact thatno one out of a sizeable pack of video game enthusiasts who happily spend lots of money to be the first to buy interesting new tech actually bought the game speaks volumes.

I was thinking the same thing.

For gods sake, at least some of us even bought the PSPGo. :P

DJ Hero too.

cloudeagle on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Except what you're complaining about isn't a review, but a quick look video.

This. In all honesty, if the game was a chore to control on Casual I can only imagine the fun factor deteriorating as the player gained more control. From the quick look alone I can tell that's already the case. Hell, even the vert gameplay looked awkward as hell. The responsiveness of those sensors seems really spotty.

Now that I think about it, maybe playing it yourself is the way to go. When it comes to new hardware, my approach is it should feel intuitive to use it and shouldn't frustrate the player in terms of control they have. To me, this doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe you have a higher tolerance for trial and error but to me if the hardware is giving me too much trouble to learn and respond to my motions then I blame the poor design. The player shouldn't need to be frustrated to learn how to play properly. It should be fun and intuitive.

Shady3011 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The things that were the biggest potential issues for me in the quick look video were the strange amounts of input lag and the horrendous interface issues. There's no reason for the game to also require navigating some menus with a regular controller. It was also odd when Jeff was pressing the start button on the side of the board and nothing would happen.

Presentation-wise, I also feel that the game looks like a step back from Proving Ground, which came out what, two years ago? All that said I'd love to see a fun peripheral-based skating game. I'm just pretty sure this isn't it, which is sad considering all the time that was spent re-imagining the franchise.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just like LewieP said, people have different opinions.
    of course people have different opinions. do we need to post up a Mr. Obvious pic? He only stated that in sarcasm to be an ass. Like this next quote is the same
    Go buy the game and report back to us. We obviously need another unbiased viewpoint in this innovative take on skateboarding games.

Isn't that the entire point of these forums? This reeks of sarcasm and what have you added to the discussion? maybe I should go post this in every thread, we need another take in the MW2 thread about FPS, or RPGs in the Dragon Age forum, etc......

I just wanted to discuss the game and reviews surrounding it, how horrible I know.
    I don't care that they spent the bulk of their time in easy mode. How is that different from any other game review? You don't really think that every game with multiple difficulties gets played on every level? In fact, most full game reviews get bashed because "they didn't play it in hard mode" when they report that it's too easy or boring. How is it different from reading a review where the reviewer just can't play Guitar Hero on Hard and scores it low because of it? That guy played the full game but might be misrepresenting it just as much as a video showing an average user's experience.

When I see people having problems, I don't immediately expect that "more time with it will solve the issue." My impression is that if they are having this much trouble with something that used to be a simple button press, the game is sure to be full of similar issues. It's not worth taking that extra time to work through the game's shortcomings when you could just bust out THPS3 and be grinding like a pro again.

I see where you are going about reviews in easy mode, but there is a world of difference in this game of on easy mode you are on rails and other modes not. But you are right that in the simple mode if they are having issues the rest of the game is probably full of them. There have been some games in my experience though that there may be a horrible learning curve, but once you get past it there is a good game behind it which is what I've been wondering about on this.

Yeah, but it was not a review. It was the game equivalent to unboxing a gadget. ACTUAL initial reactions to something not seen before. I enjoyed it, when they did it on Gamespot with the Wii. Yeah, it included how they fiddled with setting the damn thing up and such, that was part of it. That's what I wanted to see. I also want to see somebody's first steps on this thing.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Also: 716666786_r7KZP-L.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Yeah, but it was not a review. It was the game equivalent to unboxing a gadget. ACTUAL initial reactions to something not seen before. I enjoyed it, when they did it on Gamespot with the Wii. Yeah, it included how they fiddled with setting the damn thing up and such, that was part of it. That's what I wanted to see. I also want to see somebody's first steps on this thing.

yeah fair enough, don't really have much else to point out on it. Just irks me, they've got 300+ fanboy comments on the site of OH DUDEZ this thing sucks yo and they have already written this off in their heads and won't bother to purchase. Sure that is a very small drop in a giant bucket of potential customers, but just shows that this NOT review sways opinion nevertheless. I'm just waiting for more reviews to pile in now. Wanted to respond to you just let you know that your sig is great. got one for his father?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited November 2009
    Ha, thanks! No, unfortunately it was a one-off shoot of Matt Berry for a UK magazine. It is grand, nevertheless.

mattberry22.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking about getting this but I have been iffy on it. the fact that there are no real reviews of this has me concerned. That and that no one on here has come in to say anything about playing the game personally. It is making me think that this might not be worth it at all.

Artoria on
    edited November 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting this but I have been iffy on it. the fact that there are no real reviews of this has me concerned. That and that no one on here has come in to say anything about playing the game personally. It is making me think that this might not be worth it at all.

You should be worried... this is the first time Activision hasn't sent out review copies in advance.

cloudeagle on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorry, dude. In future I will try to not be sarcastic on an internet forum, of all places.

LewieP on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I couldn't help but notice that IGN has their review of this game up.
    And when I say it feels like it plays itself, it really does. Face away from the screen or simply kick the board around on the ground and you're just as likely to pull of big tricks on the lowest difficulty setting. Toss the controller around like a mad monkey and you might find yourself with a high score. Doing a specific move, however, is frustratingly difficult. That turns the game, at least on casual, into the skateboarding equivalent of button-mashing.

Once you turn the difficulty up, you begin to see the failures of Tony Hawk: Ride. Steering is incredibly difficult, as is pulling off moves regularly. Lose your balance and lean to the side just a little and you'll start spinning in circles, bouncing off of pieces of the environment and failing challenge after challenge. It pushes the sensitivities to the extreme and makes the transition from casual to anything else punishing and, well, not fun.

But there's good news everyone!
    If you're rich and want to spoil your kids, Tony Hawk: Ride might be worth a look. Though the game plays itself on casual, I could see little kids having a great time hopping around on the board and watching things happen on screen. It may just be random moves and total nonsense, but I've seen far less entertain little kids for hours on end.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember checking out Metareview and there only being one initial review that was in the 90's. Then a few more reviews popped up in the 50s and lower. Now that I know that Activision had a bribery/review day, I'm a little more suspicious of the guy who said the game was really fun.

edit: Whoops, didn't read the last page. I really like that one review talking about how Ride was the desperation move by Activision and it failed miserably.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited November 2009
    They had the gall to fill it with adverts too.

Fucking hell Activsion.

LewieP on
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

Fucking hell Activsion.

Yeah, you watch in game cutscenes on a SideKick, so it's watching a video on a screen ON your screen.

XZibit would be proud.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Fucking hell Activsion.

Yeah, you watch in game cutscenes on a SideKick, so it's watching a video on a screen ON your screen.

XZibit would be proud.

For reference:

ride.jpg

Simply appalling.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whelp, I saw this coming from Jeff's Tweets. He gave the game 1 star.

Shady3011 on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »

Fucking hell Activsion.

XZibit would be proud.

For reference:

ride.jpg

Simply appalling.

The whole fucking tutorial interface is an ad! This is completely absurd.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited November 2009
    The best part about the tutorials: apparently every time you start an event, it makes you whip out your T-Mobile Sidekick™ to pick your board stance.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And yet for all the ads, it costs $120. I guess it would've cost $180 without all that ad revenue!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited November 2009
    I wonder how much TMobile gets paid for that. It's not like regular in game ads, so they can't gauge how many times you have to see the ad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2009
    Honestly I didn't even think they made Sidekicks anymore.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Daaaaamn

I'm about to read this right now, expecting to see some scorn and hilarity.

1-stars from Giant Bomb are damn rare.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm left with a firm belief that whichever side of the Tony Hawk/Activision partnership has the out clause in the contract should just exercise it and part ways for good. Enough is enough.

Damn. Now that's blunt.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And yet for all the ads, it costs $120. I guess it would've cost $180 without all that ad revenue!

Maybe. Or perhaps the some of them were shoehorned in when they realized the game was going to be shite. Try and get some extra revenue out of a doomed game.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's the GT video review. It's... pretty bad.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-tony-hawk/59354

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I dont remember anyone bitching about metal gear solid 4 ipod :P

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009

And keep in mind, Jeff loves THPS.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh my dear sweet god, this game really looks abysmal. Seriously, if anyone here were even thinking about maybe dropping the $120 on this thing, watch those Gametrailers and Giantbomb reviews. Hopefully this will convince the suits at Activision that slapping a gimmicky plastic peripheral on a game does not automatically equal $$$.

What a sad note in this once-proud series. Ugh.

Halfmex on
    edited November 2009
    I dont remember anyone bitching about metal gear solid 4 ipod :P

That didn't cost a stupid amount more than normal, and you obviously didn't ask me about it, because I certainly would have bitched about it.

LewieP on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    there are many valid reasons for disliking this game

the advertising is not one of them

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

Fucking hell Activsion.

XZibit would be proud.

For reference:

ride.jpg

Simply appalling.

The whole fucking tutorial interface is an ad! This is completely absurd.

Skate had the sidekick interface too, its actually pretty ridiculous how much they look the same.

sidekick_final_large.jpg

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, every skating/urban sports/urban anything is jam packed with ads, which makes sense since they take place in cities, and if you live in a city with no ads, you clearly aren't a real person

but, you know, the game's still shit.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    C'mon... You know it's about the sullying of the pure and good that is video games with the terror that is advertising. And not, you know, whether it makes any sense or not.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah but Skate's a good game so it can get away with it.

Also, while I wasn't really a fan of MGS4, I thought the iPod was clever, especially considering they tried to make it control similarly to a real one.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    not that I want to steer this completely off the original subject, but I actually prefer real advertising to fake ads when it's appropriate

like in smackdown vs. raw 2010, there are ads in the arenas where there would be ads in actual arenas, but they're all for fake shit like SMACK PIZZA or YUKES COLA

it would be better if they were real ads because that shit is not immersive at all

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2009
    I would buy Yuke's Cola.

UnbreakableVow on