As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark [Thunderbolting] Avengers: Hoping the Next Leap is the Leap Back Home

Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Graphic Violence
I've often wondered if the T-bolts had enough clout in the post-Zemo Marvel Universe to carry their own thread. What better way to find out then throwing my favorite team of the last ten years into the deep end to see if they measure up.

The founding member of the Thunderbolts is this guy:

CitizenV.jpg?t=1258772575
Citizen V

Who was really this guy:

Zemo.jpg?t=1258772704
Baron Helmut J. Zemo XIII

Baron Zemo, son of the Nazi superscientist of the same name, first created the Thunderbolts as the fourth incarnation of the Masters of Evil. A team he wanted to pit against the Avengers, led by Captain America, a hated enemy of his father from WWII. Unfortunately for Zemo, his revenge was thwarted when the majority of the Avengers (and many other heroes) were killed off when this guy:

Onslaught1.jpg?t=1258773179
Onslaught

. . . went freaking berserk.

He then hatched new plan that turned the T-bolts into a replacement of the Avengers until they had enough public support to cast off their facade and go back to some good, ol' fashioned villiany.

Thunderboltstrue.png?t=1258773346

Once again, though, Zemo's carefully laid plans were to be for naught as some of his teammates got to like the idea of being true heroes a little too much and turned on their leader. After they drive off Zemo, they realize that they are still wanted criminals and set up shop in Colorado.

Over the years the team added new members to the roster and lost some as well. Hawkeye even acted as team leader for a time out of sympathy for fellow anti-heroes who genuinely wanted to reform. Zemo came back into the picture during the Road to Civil War, the event that would criminalize many trusted heroes and strangely put this motley crew of former villains on the pro-registration side.

As per the pro-Registration leader, Tony Stark's orders, Zemo had been recruiting an army of supervillains to hunt down anti-Registration heroes as well as villains. Zemo still had his own agenda though, forming alliances with powerhouses on both sides in order to defeat the Grandmaster over who would control the Wellspring of Power, a mystical font of energy that permeated the entire world. He was successful, but was betrayed and cast through a time portal by his teammate Songbird:

Songbird.jpg?t=1258774415
This groovy chick.

. . . who didn't trust her megalomaniacle leader with that much power.

The next incarnation of the Thunderbolts sees them under the leadership of the CSA (Commission on Superhuman Activities) and Norman Osborne, formerly the Green Goblin. Kept on a hodgepodge of meds and seconded by the sociopathic psychologist Karla Sofen (aka Moonstone), Norman reformed the team into his own personal hero-hunting unit.

new_thunderbolts_1.jpg?t=1258774731
This roster included Songbird, The Swordsman (aka Andreas Von Strucker), Penance, Venom, Bullseye, Radioactive Man, and Moonstone. In a post Registration world, this team hunted down all non-Registered, super-powered individuals and detained them. Usually with unnecessary force.

Everything was going nominally until the events of Marvel's Secret Invasion. When the Skrull Infiltration reached its climax and the invasion kicked into gear, the Skrull agent Khn'nr, posing as Captain Marvel, blew a hole in Thunderbolt Mountain in order to neutralize the team. He was only thwarted by Osborne's pep talk on how he sympathized with Khn'nr's moral conflict, who then left the Thunderbolts intact. Norman then gathered the team back together and headed to Washington D.C. to secure the capitol.

After D.C., Osborne joined the immense gathering of heroes and villains who had asembled in a grand showdown in Central Park against the invading Skrull Queen and her vangaurd. A battle was fought, but in the end it was Norman who got the headshot and exploited the circumstance to the fullest. Ascending to the position of Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Osborne dismantled both that organization and his Thunderbolts to create a new organization (H.A.M.M.E.R.) and a new team of T-bolts.

DarkReignBolts.png?t=1258775030
The current roster includes Black Widow II (Ylena Belova/Natasha Romanova), Ghost (an incoporial, tech wiz who's identity remains unknown), Ant-Man, Mr. X, Paladin, Headsman, and Scourge (aka Nuke). This team is Director Osborne's personal Black-ops hitsquad and have gone up against Deadpool, Nick Fury, and a few others.

Former member Songbird ended up on the run with other former teammates Mach IV and Tinkerer, while Swordsman was impaled on his own sword by Norman Osborne and thrown off a mountain. Members Venom, Bullseye, and Moonstone have since graduated to the Dark Avengers.

But sadly, good things can't last forever and change is inevitable. With the Dark Reign ending with the Siege of Asgard the Heroic Golden age is getting kick-started, thus a new team of Thunderbolts is being formed to go with the changing times.

1265737113.jpg
This new, projected roster includes the Man-Thing, Moonstone, Crossbones, the Juggernaut, Ghost (can I get me a hell yah!?), and lead by the former tiara wearing Luke Cage. It seems that the T-Bolts are getting back to their roots as a team that exists to reform super-villains or heroes with criminal records.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
Witch_Hunter_84 on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How much of the Thunderbolts run is collected in trade format?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not enough, sadly. Busiek, Bagley, Niceiza (sp), and Zircher did some great work on the original series. I think Quesada said something about essentials / trades starting up next year though (would have been mentioned in his CBR blog).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I cannot wait for Zemo to come back. I'm wondering whether he will smack Karla or Norman first.

Also, I don't know if this was answered, who wrote the Zemo mini?

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2009
    Maybe an omnibus collection could work? They'd still skip that whole fight club thing though for good reason.

wirehead26 on
    edited November 2009
    Fabian Nicieza wrote the Zemo miniseries, and the Citizen V stuff.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's a good start.

BTW, next target lined up by Norm for our merry-hitmen are none other than the Atlas Foundation.
    AtlasHit.jpg?t=1258778427

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited November 2009
    Was the "New" Thunderbolts just a renumbering or is it considered a separate book?

wirehead26 on
    edited November 2009
    A little bit of both - the book was sort of relaunched with issue #76, but was cancelled with #81 when the new direction bombed (instead of super villain redemption and adventure, it was Z-lister Fight Club). After that, there was a miniseries and then the "New" relaunch (which eventually picked up the old numbering).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I miss Radioactive Man. He was neat.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2009
    Well, he's been given a position on China's superhero team. Maybe when the Thunderbolts get legitimately re-organized he'll be invited back.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, who drew that picture of Zemo? It is really well drawn, but it kind of looks like Zemo is a lady.

DouglasDanger on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haven't been following Thunderbolts since most of them switched to the Dark Avengers (which I have been buying instead). Are the stories for the new team as good as the stuff from the last team? Maybe I'll pick up the trades some time. The covers are frequently totally amazing.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited November 2009
    The crossover they had with Deadpool was pretty awesome. They also were instrumental in framing Doc Samson when he tried to convince President Obama that Norman wasn't on the up and up, as well as help draw out Fury's team into the open by playing Black Widow (Natasha) against her contacts while she was undercover.

The latest issue was pretty badass, but then again how much expertise does it actually take for trained killers to take down a small army of Columbian guerillas?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I haven't caught this new Thunderbolts team yet, but I'm curious - how well is Ant-Man written? I mean, I see this team full of killers and psychos, and we've got poor and conflicted Eric O'Grady who just seems like he's mostly out of place on this current team.
    Not to say I wouldn't mind seeing him in a new Thunderbolts team when this Dark Reign/Siege stuff is over... preferably with members like Songbird, Mach-V and Radioactive Man on the team :)

Slagmire on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    I haven't caught this new Thunderbolts team yet, but I'm curious - how well is Ant-Man written? I mean, I see this team full of killers and psychos, and we've got poor and conflicted Eric O'Grady who just seems like he's mostly out of place on this current team.
    Not to say I wouldn't mind seeing him in a new Thunderbolts team when this Dark Reign/Siege stuff is over... preferably with members like Songbird, Mach-V and Radioactive Man on the team :)

Him and Paladin are written as being the two guys that are mildly horrified that they're on the team.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God damn, you know shit is fucked up when Paladin has reservations about it.

Anyway, I'm torn on whether to start reading T-Bolts now. I've never cared for the idea of villains masquerading as heroes, but I'm really looking forward to the T-Bolts failing at taking down the Atlas Foundation.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really like him and Paladin, they play off eachother well.

I'm really only getting the book for those two and crazy osborn moments. Ghost is pretty cool as well, but the rest are horrible.

The Ellis reboot cast were the best.

Sharp101 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't really like Paladin. He just seems like the standard morally flexible rogue who'll sell his loyalty to the highest bidder. Also, his costume is pretty ugly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    While I do agree with you (and that he should really only be used as an occasional throw away character) whenever him and Ant Man talk in Thunderbolts it's pretty awesome.

Sharp101 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't really like Paladin. He just seems like the standard morally flexible rogue who'll sell his loyalty to the highest bidder. Also, his costume is pretty ugly.

Aw, I like Paladin. Like you say, he's pretty much just a mercenary rogue, but I like his Han Solo swagger.

He's a guy who's always out of his depth, but still manages to do alright for himself.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    Paladin got his ass kicked in Dark Reign: Elektra.

I love Dark Reign: Elektra.

Faynor on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Black Widow hasn't been in the Thunderbolts roster for a decent amount of time now, must be at least 5 issues.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009
    I thought Yelona joined it for real this time.

Faynor on
    edited November 2009
    I've not noticed anyone but the guys, maybe I wasn't paying attention but I only saw Headsman, X, Scourge, Ghost and Paladin during that little excursion.

Thats the Wiki current roster:

Natalia Romanova disguised as Yelena Belova
    Ant-Man
    Paladin
    Headsman
    Ghost
    Mister X
    Scourge

Now Natalia was outed so she can't still be there, so yeah its a sausage fest at the moment. Has it been clarified that Scourge is Nuke? Honestly there are that many stories, improper timelines and converging plots its hard to keep track of the minor stuff.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009
    I am almost positive I read something where Osborn brought in Yelona for for reals, but I can't remember what the hell it was.

Faynor on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scourge was the one part in the original Thunderbolts run that I never cared for. It paid off in a nice reveal who it was and a conspiracy story done right, but there were issues around the #40 area where Nicieza went a bit too far into super-Macguffin territory.

I kind of see Parker using Scourge like a challenge almost.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Scourge was the one part in the original Thunderbolts run that I never cared for. It paid off in a nice reveal who it was and a conspiracy story done right, but there were issues around the #40 area where Nicieza went a bit too far into super-Macguffin territory.

I kind of see Parker using Scourge like a challenge almost.

I read up on Nuke and he sounds 'tarded and terrible but I like Scourge, he seems capable and coherent while the Wiki article makes Nuke sound like a barely-balanced psychopath. Also liked him being able to go toe to toe with X.

DarkWarrior on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I am almost positive I read something where Osborn brought in Yelona for for reals, but I can't remember what the hell it was.

They brought her in at an end-of-issue reveal but they haven't done anything with her since, maybe Parker will pick that thread back up.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, who drew that picture of Zemo? It is really well drawn, but it kind of looks like Zemo is a lady.

It looks like it's by Marko Djurdjevic.

Crimsondude on
    edited November 2009
    Yah, Black Widow II was apperently kept in suspended animation by Osborne until he was done tricking Natasha into giving up Nick Fury and his crew. He's probably giving Scourge a try-out to see how well he handles the team, and if he even needs Ylena at all. Scourge'll probably go psycho or something and Black Widow II will get thawed out to replace him as team leader.

I like the fact that X can't read him is because of his immensly advanced PTSD. He's got so many voices in his head the precog can't get a bead on who he is at any given moment. It's like when Logan put the beat-down on Mr. X, when he wen't all GRAAAAAAAW, going into a berserker rage that made his mind impossible to predict.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is Jeff Parker the new ongoing writer? Andy Diggle seemed to just stop off for a cup of coffee before leaving for Daredevil, and if Parker is only going to be on for a few issues, I'll wait until there's a regular writer.

Oh hell, who am I kidding? If the Agents of Atlas are in T-bolts, I'll be buying.

KidDork on
    edited December 2009
    Well, first issue of the T-Bolts v. Atlas was picked up today. They seem to have added another esoteric character to the team who seems to have important info. on the Atlas Foundation's inner circle.

prv4043_pg2.jpg
    In this issue Scourge's mental instability is proving to be more of an asset to the team rather than a hinderance. I forsee Ghost brokering an under-the-table agreement with Atlas though, in leu of finishing them off (even though Scourge went to TOWN on Bob the Uranian).

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looks like Osborn's secret heavy hitter has finally been revealed.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Pumpkin Umbrella is hilarious, I'll admit.

Fencingsax on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is that the same Grizzly who used to hang out with Kangaroo and try to be a Spider-Man villain? If so, he was much cooler when his face was sticking out of a bear's mouth.

Hensler on
    edited December 2009
    His hood is a bear's head, so he can still do that if he wants..

His look was updated in Agents of Atlas. At the time, Gorilla Man said something like, "Who's the big bruiser in the pimp coat?" Personally, I like the update. I tend to think that villains would try not to dress too ridiculously whenever possible.

Munch on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WHERE IS THE GIBBON?

KVW on
    edited December 2009
    Reading the Gibbon's wiki article actually makes me want to read Marvel Apes.

Vampire monkey superheroes?

That later fight zombie superheroes?

Yes please.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spider-MansTangledWeb019-17.jpg

I love Grizzly.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2009
    Is that Jim Mahfood's art?