As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2k3 Raph absolutely HATES the 80s turtles because they are like having 4 extra Mikeys. Hahah.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Will the Bunny Samurai be in this game?

Rabbit and Yojimbo not Samurai but no just Rabbids because Ubisoft is retarded.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited November 2009
    Turtles Forever was awesome. I need to pick me up the old comics.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The tmnt license wouldn't cover usagi yojimbo anyway

that's owned by another person

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please tell me they will released Turtles Forever on DVD. I didn't get to see it because we don't have the CW here.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They're supposed to be, but they haven't said when yet. Probably not before the next three weeks, when they air it in parts.

That was well and truly a great end to an era. I only wish they had wrapped up the Mirage and TMNTA comics first.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit the scene with Shredder Prime was incredible. Also they were a bit unfair to the old turtle universe. Shredder never relied on a giggle ray or anything that absurd. He usually used an anti-mutagen gun or a dimensional portal to summon something.

Gilder on
    edited November 2009
    There were so many bad puns. I loved it.

So getting this when it comes on DVD.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love how absolutely no one talks about Smash Up in this thread. We're more likely to talk about the nuances of TMNT III: The Manhattan Project over TMNT II: The Arcade Game here than to talk about the titular game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited November 2009
    Well I had my 25th Anniversary thread but everyone started using this. Only a couple people bought the game as well, although I'll probably pick it up when it gets cheap. Also fans of turtles shouldn't care if their topic starts talking about other turtle stuff. We're all friends here right?

Gilder on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I plan on buying it for the ps2 as soon as I can

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not a problem at all, it's more interesting than the game is at any rate.

It reminds me sort of like the SMT thread when Persona 3 came out.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited November 2009
    I love how absolutely no one talks about Smash Up in this thread. We're more likely to talk about the nuances of TMNT III: The Manhattan Project over TMNT II: The Arcade Game here than to talk about the titular game.

Funny, I was just about to say that this movie is closer to what Smash-Up should have been.

On another note...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited November 2009
    The tmnt license wouldn't cover usagi yojimbo anyway

that's owned by another person

He has a long history of being in TMNT properties. It would have been a cool shout out .

King Riptor on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Better strike while the iron's hot!

TURTLES!

blaze_zero on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually, it seems pretty much every TMNT episode is up on youtube, so snork away.

Turtles Forever was pretty damn good. The 80s turtles were made just a bit too goofy... I would have liked to have seen them have one or two more competent moments. But otherwise fantastic. Agreed, great way to close out the pre-Nick era.

My call for the funniest part of the episode:
    The fate of the original turtles' Shredder, simply because of how out-of-left-field it was and the perfect timing on his fall.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The fate of the original turtles' Shredder, simply because of how out-of-left-field it was and the perfect timing on his fall.

Actually...
    ...I thought it was funny but was saddened that he didn't fight and be a badass like the Mirage turtles. Was the Mirage Shredder a badass in the comics?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Better strike while the iron's hot!

TURTLES!

Shit guys, this is actually kind of painful to get through.

Still truckin' forward though.

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Really? I got through it all finally (guy was posting throughout the day) but I had a smile on my face for the most part. I really enjoyed the movie.

Yeah, the '87 Turtles are really goofy, but it still works out all right.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2009
    It got better

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    It got better

You must be watching a different version than I did. The whole movie was great.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited November 2009
    Started out kinda crappy

got decent halfway through

got fantastic at the end.

Old black and white turtles are hardcore.

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Actually...
    ...I thought it was funny but was saddened that he didn't fight and be a badass like the Mirage turtles. Was the Mirage Shredder a badass in the comics?
    Not so much, no. He died in the first issue.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited November 2009

Actually...
    Not so much, no. He died in the first issue.
    Well, he reappears later. But he's more or less got the same personality as Ultom Shredder, so he's a little redundant.

cloudeagle on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    They missed a perfect chance for a joke
    Where Shredder says there's a "smorgasbord of Turtles!", he should have said "it's Turtles all the way down!"

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2009
    You know, when they showed the multi-verse and all the versions of the turtles, I found it funny that I immediately recognized both sets of Japanese TMNT.

Also
    The fact that Bebop and Rocksteady won the day is hilarious.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2009
    That was a glorious touch, yep.

cloudeagle on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't say I liked it that much. I've never seen modern turtles before but they're pretty damn awful. Meanwhile the entire purpose of the film seems to have been to make the 80s cartoon into a joke and have all the characters from it become total pussies.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited November 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    I can't say I liked it that much. I've never seen modern turtles before but they're pretty damn awful. Meanwhile the entire purpose of the film seems to have been to make the 80s cartoon into a joke and have all the characters from it become total pussies.

That was kind of the point.

I've never been a turtles fan; a tad bit too early for my time.

The 80's show was hokey as shit. I mean, good god. The fact that they were aware of this, and just run with that concept, is hilarious. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

On the flipside, they made the old-school graphic turtles stone-cold motherfuckers that don't take shit from nobody. That was incredible.

I said I had problems with the movie, and that was actually at the beginning, when it was just the modern day version of the turtles. The latest cartoon kind of sucked a bit, but once they threw in the 80's goofballs it made them much easier to appreciate.

I dunno, I thought it was good, stupid fun. I'll pick up a copy for my friend, who's a huge turtles fan and yet didn't even know this movie existed.

Godfather on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But the 80s version was great. It's a cartoon, for kids. The modern turtles are shit because like every other modern kids cartoon its being made for children who spend all their time shooting hookers in GTA, they try to be all gritty and grown up but mostly they're just unlikeable dickwads.

Now, hand me that hammer.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited November 2009
    Nostalgia buddy.

Nostalgia.

Godfather on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But the 80s version was great. It's a cartoon, for kids. The modern turtles are shit because like every other modern kids cartoon its being made for children who spend all their time shooting hookers in GTA, they try to be all gritty and grown up but mostly they're just unlikeable dickwads.

That is a stupid thing to say and you're stupid for saying it.

Bloods End on
    edited November 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

The 80s version was great back in the day when we were kids. The 80s version is great today because it is so terrible if you watch it now.

I don't understand your throwing in of GTA. I agree with Bloods End.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would have been a lot more alright with the "ribbing" if they could have afforded any of the awesome original voice cast or the radical music cues. But it really wasn't as lousy as the trailers/clips made it seem to be, the worst scene was probably the weird "mutant banana rescue" and fortunately they got that out of the way in previews.

I think the design of the Fred Wolf cast was a little eerie, mostly because they were consistent throughout, a compliment to the new staff's ability to stay on model (the old show is notorious not just for color errors but some fucking hilarious distortions of the characters from drawing to drawing). But combined with the imitation voices and some of the awkward personifications, I can see why some fans of the old series were repulsed. Nevertheless, there were still a lot of great moments, and the fact
    that Bebop and Rocksteady ultimately save the day (among with the Mirage Turtles discussion of "grabbing a slice")
    should show they were not nearly as vicious as they could have been. As has been said, a good homage to wrap up TMNT's 25th Anniversary.

Plus there are PLENTY of original episodes in the old series. It's no big deal to not have an accurate representation, the old show isn't going anywhere. I suggest anyone who feels "gypped" to just seek out those DVDs and bask in nostalgia (although some people's impressions seem to be based only on the first five episodes, which appear to be more universally lauded). They are relatively cheap to boot!

P.S. a 4Kids representative has noted that around 12 minutes of footage was cut from Turtles Forever. They also said that the full version will be on their website sometime in December. Cowabunga!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I'm pretty sure they made Turtles Forever just for me.

And I'm not even halfway through.

Schide on
    edited November 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

The 80s version was great back in the day when we were kids. The 80s version is great today because it is so terrible if you watch it now.

I don't understand your throwing in of GTA. I agree with Bloods End.

Same. Turtles Forever pretty much encapsulates everything perfectly: Mirage was Frank Miller-like, 87 was goofy as hell for the most part, and 2K3 strikes something of a balance between the two versions (note that the Mirage Turtles were giving it to the 2K3s about as bad as the 2K3s gave it to the 87s). 2K3 followed the original comics more, but still had some cues from the 87 cartoon-- note that they were both getting punked by the Mirage Turtles over their colored headbands.

At the same time, there was a certain respect going on amidst the groups. The 2K3 group adopted some of 87's tactics near the end there, and the 87 lot had a bit of day saving going on-- plus a hint of admiration for the buckles from the Mirage groups.

All in all, the movie didn't seem to be trashing any one version to me so much as pointing out what each one is, hanging a lampshade on it, and saying "just enjoy each different version for what it is."
    P.S. a 4Kids representative has noted that around 12 minutes of footage was cut from Turtles Forever. They also said that the full version will be on their website sometime in December. Cowabunga!

Oh, perfect! Right where I won't be able to see it!

Thank God for YouTube.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited November 2009
    All I'm saying is that Shredder would never use a giggle beam in the old series. He was goofy, but he never resorted to that.

I almost forgot, I wanted to say how much I liked the way they did the backgrounds when they went to the 80's universe. It looked just like the way it did in the old series. Also the cameos of characters walking by was neat, even though it did cause a paradox with Bebop and Rocksteady.

Gilder on
    edited November 2009
    Did anyone else notice Tohka and Razor as well? I thought that was kind of a nice touch.
    Also, Hun reminded me of Slash after he was oozed.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that Shredder would never use a giggle beam in the old series. He was goofy, but he never resorted to that.

Well, I doubt they wanted to have him cite an actual plot. I mean, we could look at his plot to turn everyone into children, or sabotage the Turtles' pizzas, I guess.

And he did use tickle torture, for what that's worth.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited November 2009
    I would have been okay with the presentation of the original toon if they had just gotten the VA's. Whatever problems the show had on other ends that was a very good group.

Nope just Shove Dan Green in there it'll be fine.

King Riptor on