As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My poor ignored Wii. Help it!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Hi guys, we keep getting threads from new PS3 convertees wanting advice on games. So I thought it's about time there was one for the Wii, more specifically to help me.

I've had my Wii since near launch but after Super Mario Galaxy I got a PS3 and it wooed me with it's lovely exclusives and my Wii became a very expensive set of scales (I use Wiifit daily to chart my weight).

I spotted NSMB the other day and thought it looked cool and wished I had a Wii to play it on. Then I remembered I did, and snapped it up.

So what else have I been missing? Any interesting puzzle games? Any awesome 2d platformers? I could look for myself but I trust the judgement of you fine people.

Any suggestions to tag on to my Christmas List for Santa?

This is not an excuse to use terrible Wii-puns.
-looks sternly at LewieP-

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    did you like puzzle quest? if so puzzle kingdoms is a much better sequel then galactrix ever was.

cwoac on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I sold my Wii a few months after buying it.

I do remember playing Boom Blox and enjoying it. I think Wii Sports might have been the most enjoyable game I played when I had my Wii. Mario and Smash Bros took too long to come out. And when I finally did get to play Smash Bros I was disappointed..I dunno why..

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dead Space Extraction is a great lightgun game. I usually hate thsoe but this was so much fun.

A pretty old game now but The Godfather was ridiculously fun, more than it should've been with it's awful graphics.

Then theres the two resident evil lightgun games that people swear by. I didn't think they were all that great but that's just me.

Boom Blox is a must. Like something every wii owner must have. Really good fun on your own and insanely fun in groups. Perfect for parties.

Zack and Wiki is a neat little puzzler type point and click adventure game. You might dig that if you were into the old school PC P&Cers.

Obvious suggestion here but Resident evil 4 wii edition is a definite title that belongs in every collection. I have the GC edition but still forked out for this on release and love it to bits. How Wii games should be.

That's all I could think of for now but there are plenty of others I've yet to try like MadWorld, No more heroes and the Metroid trilogy.

Big Classy on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2D platformers you say? There are many! Two awesome ones I've played are Super Paper Mario (it's funnier if you know the Paper Mario universe, but it has lots of general geek in-jokes too) and WarioLand: The Shake Dimension. The latter one is rather short (Honestly, the first one is more RPG than 2d platformer) but it's really good. It has an achievement-like system (level-based) which adds a lot of replay value, and it looks gorgeous. I also really enjoyed de Blob, which is a 3D platformer where you paint a grey town in fancy colours. And there's Metroid Prime Trilogy (FPS-ish), three awesome games in one awesomely cheap package. I could go on, as there are loads of good Wii games out there!

(There's also A Boy and his Blob, 2d platformer/puzzler, but I haven't played it yet. Opinions are mixed about it though)

EDIT: I agree with the above opinions of Boom Blox Bash Party and Zack and Wiki (though I still haven't beaten the last level) :?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes one year and fifteen months are FAR too long to wait from launch for good games. 360 had nothing good until over a year after launch and PS3 took almost two years for MGS4 to come out. :P Impatient people. SMG is worth waiting ten years for.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes one year and fifteen months are FAR too long to wait from launch for good games. 360 had nothing good until over a year after launch and PS3 took almost two years for MGS4 to come out. :P Impatient people. SMG is worth waiting ten years for.

360 had interesting things to play while you waited for the big names to come out though

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tiger Woods 10 is probably the best 3rd party game out there right now.

Hockey Johnston on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's my short list:

-Metal Slug Anthology
    -Resident Evil: The Umbrella & Darkside Chronicles
    -A Boy and His Blob (buy it, dammit!)
    -No More Heroes
    -Rabbids Go Home
    -House of the Dead: Overkill
    -Metroid Prime Trilogy
    -Punch Out!!

That should keep you for a while.

Grimthwacker on
    edited November 2009
    and so did the Wii, you just had to open your eyes, blind-o.

For every Mario and Smash there were plenty of titles to get along with like Zack and Wiki and Harvey Birdman and Nights and No More Heroes and Oopoona and Super Paper Mario and the myriad of light gun games, quirky party games and dozens of other titles just lying under the surface.

The first two years of the 360 was...the launch titles, Dead Rising, Fight Night Round 3....maybe some DOA4 if you're into that, Gears...CoD3, which sucked, some shitty sports games, and Halo 3. Not exactly my cup of tea.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seconded. It's seriously good.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, my wife recently revived my Wii with Wii Fit +. Mario Kart is always on play whenever her cousins come over.

But besides MP:Trilogy and Mario Galaxy I think you should be fine.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited November 2009
    Klona is also platformy good times.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what is a fucking great game that probably no one would ever stick up for? Mercury Meltdown Revolution. It may be an enhanced PS2 port but who gives a fuck? It's really great. There's nothing bad about it.

Apart from that, there's heaps of stuff. Little King's Story. Metroid Prime Trilogy. There's 200+ hrs right there.

Read Slash's page.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My Wii has become a party console. If I have company, we play Wii. I have given up on it's online and single player games. However, it has SO MANY good party games.

Boom Blox and it's Second
    I bought Guitar Hero for Wii
    Carnival Games
    Super Smash Brothers
    Some of the Rabbids Games
    Mario Kart
    and so on.

The few activity games, Wii Fit+, EA Active to name a couple, are pretty good too. As in, they really don't suck, but they aren't really games either.

Haven't got NSMB yet, but looking forward to it, and I did play Super Mario Galaxy and enjoyed it quite a bit.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Poor Lewie will never live down that terrible, terrible pun. Though he probably doesn't deserve to (sorry, man).

You should check out WiiWare. They just started with demos (a limited sampling, admittedly), and there's a lot of great stuff.

Graviija on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Seconded. It's seriously good.

Get this and Muramasa so you have two Wii games that look better than PS3 games.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited November 2009
    A good amount of the Wii's library looks like slightly shinier PS2 titles, so they all look better than Disgaea 3 which looks like a not so shiny PS2 title.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I definitely second this. My Wii is my party game console while my PS3 has become my single player haven. It does a mainstream appeal that my PS3 doesn't have.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you explored WiiWare? There's some good stuff on there. The Bit.Trip series games are excellent. Bit.Trip Beat is the first one and there's a demo available too. Bit.Trip Core came out a few months ago and is worth checking out.

Today we get Bit.Trip Void, and I am excited about that.

Cave Story is due out on WiiWare sometime soon too. Sure, it's free on the PC, but they're redoing a lot of the graphics/music for the Wii.

SteevL on
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should take a look at the Virtual Console/Wiiware sometimes, if you haven't already. There's a few wiiware gems to be found, and many games still hold up well enough today. Grab mega man 9 for some quick 2d old-school mega man action.

For Wii titles, I would recommend the following:

Okami Wii (though appeal and control ease might differ for each person)
    Mario Kart Wii (better game if you can play online)
    Brawl and Zelda (If you haven't played them)
    Resident Evil 4 Wii (hey, it's still good!)
    Metroid Trilogy (just for the value of the pack)
    Wii _____ games (less terrible than you might think)

None of them are 2D beside Brawl, since I don't own many 2D wii games, but I would second the 2D games other posters here have suggested.

Rollout on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    De Blob is an excellent platformer with painting elements. Plus it's music is top notch and some of the best around.

Geometry Wars Galaxies is a fantastic retro shooter.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i loved boy and his blob on nes and gameboy, im glad to hear the wii version is good. ill have to pick it up

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade made me re-connect my Wii. It really is fantastic. For style alone, it's probably worth checking out Madworld as well.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you haven't played it on Gamecube (and hell, even if you have), I'd recommend getting Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. Absolutely fantastic budget-priced 2D platformer with solid replay value if you like beating your high scores and want to unlock every level in the game.

Djiem on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga is one of my favourite Wii games ever. It's horribly obtuse and pretty ugly unless you have a brown fetish but it's a shit load of fun.

Magic Pink on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade made me re-connect my Wii. It really is fantastic. For style alone, it's probably worth checking out Madworld as well.

Madworld was fun for awhile, but it got way too repetitive.

Nimble Cat on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I spotted NSMB the other day and thought it looked cool and wished I had a Wii to play it on. Then I remembered I did, and snapped it up.

It was the red box, wasn't it? :)

So what else have I been missing? Any interesting puzzle games? Any awesome 2d platformers? I could look for myself but I trust the judgement of you fine people.

2D Platformers:

Wario Land Shake it!, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, A Boy and His Blob, and I'd also mention Muramasa The Demon Blade and Metal Slug Anthology. There's also Lost Winds 1 and 2, NyxQuest, Contra Rebirth, Mega Man 9.

Puzzle:
    Puzzle Quest Kingdoms, World of Goo, Boom Blox Bash Party, Art Style Orbient, MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade, Tetris Party, You Me and the Cubes

You might be missing a lot of great games in other genres, but I don't know what you have or what else you're interested in, or I could make a bunch more suggestions.

slash000 on
    edited November 2009
    I'm disappointed, Slash. I thought that of all people here you would back me up on Jungle Beat. :P

Djiem on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    I'm disappointed, Slash. I thought that of all people here you would back me up on Jungle Beat. :P

Oooh yeah, I keep forgetting that they remade that game for the Wii. :^:

slash000 on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you haven't played it on Gamecube (and hell, even if you have), I'd recommend getting Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. Absolutely fantastic budget-priced 2D platformer with solid replay value if you like beating your high scores and want to unlock every level in the game.

Does the game lose anything without the bongos? I was holding up on purchasing this because of the new Wii controls.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone recommended Klonoa? You should snap that piece of platforming gold right up.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chocobo dungeon is an amazingly fun game!

Not quite as kiddy as it would appear. Thankfully not as hardcore as most dungeon crawlers either - I like the balance.

LionEyez on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Take two sessions of Muramasa and New! Super Mario Bros before bed, and call me in the morning.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited November 2009

Does the game lose anything without the bongos? I was holding up on purchasing this because of the new Wii controls.

Actually, it gained a lot to me. The bongos had a nice novelty factor, but they were tiring for the hands and didn't exactly have the same precision as a joystick. This is the same reason I play Mario Kart Wii with a Wavebird and not the Wii Wheel. They tweaked the gameplay mechanics, so now you have a lifebar during stages rather than banana consumption. It actually makes the game harder in places. Aside from that, it's just as fun as it was on the Gamecube, which was a lot of fun.

It gets forgotten or dismissed as being a port, or a budget title, or not Donkey Kong Country, but it's actually a real, hard 2D platformer that deserves the genre just as much as any other Donkey Kong or Mario platformer.

Djiem on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Metroid Prime Trilogy is amazing value for the price, no arguments. Go get it right now, the only reason not to be would be that you already own all three separate games. It's basically the Wii's orange box.

Edit: Um...ignore the avatar.

The Last Gent on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll throw in a vote for the Pinball Hall of Fame games if you have any interest in pinball. The remote/nun-chuck setup is just about perfect for simulating pinball table controls and IIRC the game is $20 or something.

Everyone keeps recommending Resident Evil 4, I'll have to go back and try again but I sucked so bad at that it just wasn't fun.

Backstop on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I sucked ass at Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube.

Then I played the Wii version and it was like a completely different game. I was able to aim so well with the Wiimote.

SteevL on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

Same here, but my wii sounds like a buzz saw now, I think the DVD drive is going bad.

Waiting for Castlevania rebirth to hit, and s&p 2.

psychotix on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh well if we're talking about UPcoming stuff, Metroid Other M and No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle must be thrown onto the pot.

The Last Gent on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

Same here, but my wii sounds like a buzz saw now, I think the DVD drive is going bad.

Waiting for Castlevania rebirth to hit, and s&p 2.

Mine too, its worrying me greatly, despite the fact I hardly ever use it. I read you could use a HDD now via the homebrew stuffs. I might look into that.

Big Classy on