As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the HD5870 as good as the 4870x2

ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
My gpu is greatly overheating (107c!) and the people I bought the comp from have offered to give me a 5870 instead since they can't find any 4870x2's.

Am I losing anything here?
Is this a good deal?

Shawnasee on

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=572&card2=613 might help you out in making a decision. There'll be links to reviews of 5870s, at least one of which will probably compare the card to 4870x2.

Rius on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd take it even if it turns out to be a little slower. It's quieter, uses less power, runs cooler, and has DX11. It might not seem it, but dx10 is pretty much going to be completely leapfrogged in favor of dx11. Also, they are currently balls hard to find in retail and online. It is a slower card, btw, but the gap shortens if you are playing 1080p or higher.

edit: From a quick glance around, whether it is slower or faster depends on the game.

stigweard on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My 4870x2 runs ridiculously hot, is very noisy, is huge, and generally has been a fucking headache. I'd say take the new card and enjoy dx11.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My 4870x2 runs ridiculously hot, is very noisy, is huge, and generally has been a fucking headache. I'd say take the new card and enjoy dx11.

If by "ridiculously hot" you mean topping out at 107 degrees Celsius, yes. And mine is loud as well.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What about a single 5870 versus two 5770's in crossfire?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To the OP: get the 5870 for god's sake. Should be more than powerful enough to run the latest shit at 1080p and beyond with everything maxed, and you won't have to deal with the insane power consumption, heat, and compatibility issues of running two 4870's.

I cannot think of many reasons to deliberately start a computer out relying on crossfire for performance, except maybe to drive a 30" monitor or something.
    What about a single 5870 versus two 5770's in crossfire?

There's really no reason to do this. A 5870 is stupid powerful, and crossfire isn't totally reliable and it would really suck to have two 5770's become one for even one game, depending on your monitor size.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd take a top single card over 2 midlevels any time.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I exchanged my 9800GX2 for a HD4850.

It seems like an obvious downgrade, but I am so much happier with the Radeon, and the performance hit is barely noticeable. Dual card setups are a real pain; get the 5870.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So if they can't find the 5870, would you guys take the 5970?

This 4870x2 is getting to temps of 98c playing bejeweled and 88c with no usage at all. Its not going to last much longer at all.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why do you need people to tell you that you should take the best video cards on the market? Yes. Fucking take them. Either of them. Don't come back asking if you should take $10,000 cash instead.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    So if they can't find the 5870, would you guys take the 5970?

This 4870x2 is getting to temps of 98c playing bejeweled and 88c with no usage at all. Its not going to last much longer at all.

defenetly, the 5970 is a better card in terms of performance than the 5870 is, by a good margain.

heres an ok review of the card, and at the end has comparison charts to the 5870, and 4870x2
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474.html

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if you are being offered a 5970 as a "compensation" don't be a fool and TAKE IT BEFORE THEY RESCIND

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    Why do you need people to tell you that you should take the best video cards on the market? Yes. Fucking take them. Either of them. Don't come back asking if you should take $10,000 cash instead.

Should I take $10k cash instead of the 5970?

Thanks for the advice.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    jambojambo AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I currently have Q6600, 6GB of DDR2 and a 4870X2. Would it be best to upgrade my CPU and RAM to something of the Core i7/5 variety before getting a new video card?

jambo on
    lMX1i.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Personally, I think your system is just fine right now.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jambo wrote: »
    I currently have Q6600, 6GB of DDR2 and a 4870X2. Would it be best to upgrade my CPU and RAM to something of the Core i7/5 variety before getting a new video card?

With your PC you can just wait a year for the i9 to come out. By then the 5800 cards will be in full supply. Not to mention USB 3 & Sata 3.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, why would you upgrade that system??

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jambojambo AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well I have a 30" HP monitor, and it takes a bit of extra juice to run games @ 2560x1600. I was going to wait until sometime next year anyway, so I might just hold off for the i9.

jambo on
    lMX1i.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i want to know where the OP lives, because apparently 5870s and 5900 series Radeons flow like honey there!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jambo wrote: »
    Well I have a 30" HP monitor, and it takes a bit of extra juice to run games @ 2560x1600. I was going to wait until sometime next year anyway, so I might just hold off for the i9.

You need to upgrade the video card to improve frame rates at high resolution, not the CPU or RAM (especially not with 6 GB, christ). But obviously look up some damn benchmarks before you get one that isn't any better than dual 4870's. (I like anandtech because they are thorough yet good at boiling things down.)

LoneIgadzra on