As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well making a board for it shouldn't be that difficult. Probably really annoying and tedious, though.

Auctions probably would slow it down, but if there's a host, you just PM him the max bid you're willing to pay and then the person who bids the highest pays 1 more than the second highest. This will make the game go faster, but also take away the whole... "do you really want to pay that for it or are you trying to make me pay more for it? Well you can have it." aspect of the game. :)

But if people sign up understanding that the game may take a long time (possibly longer than our TI game) then that may not be that big of a problem.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If people understand the game and plant valuation you could just have a one time highest bidder like Container.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    Well I've played the game twice, so I don't quite know what they're worth. But from my experience, different plants are worth different amounts to different players. All depends on what market you're in and what market other players are in and what market looks like it's doing well and which are doing bad. That's probably my favorite part of the game is the market and planning ahead and the auctioning aspect. How much is it really worth to you?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Plants are also worth different max bids based on which specific people are bidding against you. It might be necessary to keep Ryadic from getting something, while acceptable to allow Darian to have it. And if Theaznman is bidding on anything, drive the cost up.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2009
    I would have edited my post, but I can't. I like your auction idea better. Gets near the same result at a much quicker pace.

Regarding plant valuation - It may be worth the most to someone, but it should be worth close to that for at least one other player in the game. Switching resources isn't really cost prohibitive. So the average value of a plant for the players should be close to the maximum value of a plant for the person who really wants to run that resource for whatever reason (in your example).

More important is how many cities you can fire and how many cities you can prevent your opponent from firing. I feel goofy typing that but I've seen people get too caught up in buying a more efficient plant just for the sake of efficiency and then not being able to make that jump to 17 because they didn't buy the intermediary plant that could light more even at a slightly higher cost.

Then again I may not be playing with the best players. I'd put Power Grid up there with my favorites. I think its PR, Power Grid, AOE3, Chicago Express, and Age of Steam. All the expansions hardly fit in my PG box and I think there is a new one coming out.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    Come to think of it though I think the last championship ended at like 12 or 13 points, so I obviously don't understand the game like they do.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    You and I appear to have very similar tastes, Zombie. Chicago Express is another favorite of mine. I've not tried Age of Steam, but I have played Steam, though. I didn't care for Steam, but from what I hear about Age of Steam, it's probably a game I'd enjoy more.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    I forgot about Container and War of the Ring. I really enjoy both. Though Container literally has the worst color choice of any game I've ever played. I need to paint the pieces. It isn't a game for everyone though because it just gives you a free market system and says... make more money than the next guy - the only known is end game container values and the rest is up to the players. It is interesting to see who understands fundamental economics though. Turns out not many people.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Plants are also worth different max bids based on which specific people are bidding against you. It might be necessary to keep Ryadic from getting something, while acceptable to allow Darian to have it. And if Theaznman is bidding on anything, drive the cost up.

:D

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    You and I appear to have very similar tastes, Zombie. Chicago Express is another favorite of mine. I've not tried Age of Steam, but I have played Steam, though. I didn't care for Steam, but from what I hear about Age of Steam, it's probably a game I'd enjoy more.

You come to DC and you play with us, yes? We make you weep tears of black hatred.

It is a 2 hour game. I knocked someone out in the first 5 minutes.

Darkewolfe on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I feel the need to mention that pr-game.com is the worst website I have used in upwards of a decade.

It won't stop me from using it, but seriously.

Terrible.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    I feel the need to mention that pr-game.com is the worst website I have used in upwards of a decade.

It won't stop me from using it, but seriously.

Terrible.

Well, it's better than nothing, and Puerto Rico is a really good game.

Darian on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »

:D

Wait until december...just you guys wait.

The wrath of a man who has suffered a one dollar upbidding for no reason will be upon you all.

iamtheaznman on
    edited November 2009
    Did I mention I bought Space Dealer? It's still in the shrink wrap and I am dying to play it. Also, I want to play more Bridges of Shangri-La.

Darkewolfe on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did I mention I bought Space Dealer? It's still in the shrink wrap and I am dying to play it.

Neat! It has the best soundtrack EVER.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just agonized at my LGS for an hour and a half over whether to purchase the new Axis and Allies (played a ton in High School and would love to see the changes and introduce the newbies in my group to a war board game), Warhammer: Invasion and Chaos in the Old World.

I chose Invasion. I hope this was wise.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
    edited November 2009
    Did I mention I bought Space Dealer? It's still in the shrink wrap and I am dying to play it.

The fuck? I've had it for like two months now, but the whole thing is in German, so I don't know what the box says about it. Now I'm considering opening it to see what the hell is in there. I hadn't even imagined that it had a soundtrack of some sort.

Darkewolfe on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The fuck? I've had it for like two months now, but the whole thing is in German, so I don't know what the box says about it. Now I'm considering opening it to see what the hell is in there. I hadn't even imagined that it had a soundtrack of some sort.

It's exactly 30 minutes of music, punctuated by a robot voice announcing the time remaining. And it's hilariously good. My copy also had an "English" demonstration CD that ended up being in German.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    While I did a post earlier with the full text spoiler of Skavenblight threat, they just put up a article with some more of the full card art and whatnot.

tl;dr version:

warhammer-invasion-card-greyseer-thanquol.png

warhammer-invasion-card-clan-rats.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just played my first game of Pandemic with the designer Matt Leacock. He was doing a meet and greet at a local game store and I was the only one there. We won pretty handily.

Fun game and the designer seemed like a cool guy. I picked up a copy. Now to get my friends to play it.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited November 2009
    Pandemic is good times; also a good classroom game, to encourage logical thinking skills, study and plan for probabilities, and group thinking/communication skills.

Darian on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My girlfriend's sister just had a baby, and I figure her oldest son (2ish) may end up being a tiny bit jealous. Both parents enjoy boardgames, and I was hoping you guys could point me to something that could be played simply with the parents + 2 year old, but also be enjoyed by the parents.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... Qwirkle is probably a bit too complex, but the child can have fun using the blocks to learn to match shapes and colors while the parents play the full game.

Zingo is good, but more for three and up; I really don't have many good choices for such a young age. :?

Darian on
  • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pitchcar (mini), maybe? Pitchcar is a very simple dexterity game where you flick your wooden disk/car around a racetrack. Easy enough for a two-year old to grasp, and failing that, it also does double duty as a toy. Pitchcar Mini is a somewhat smaller version, and will be easier for the kid to manipulate. 2 years old is still pretty small though. o_O

Gaebril on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The obvious choice is Twilight Imperium, I think.

Either that or Space Hulk.
    Chaos in the Old World?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Still a little young, and probably out of print, but whatever:

fantasy.jpg

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ooh, didn't know there were boardgamers here as well. I'll need to track this thread, see that you guys already got a Wallenstein game going, but perhaps there's room for one more when the next chance comes around?

residue on
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking about Quirkle when I posted, and pitch car seems like a good idea. Are the pieces for those two games a "swallow danger"?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's a two-year old. Everything is a swallow danger.

Buy him some of those Duplo oversized-Lego sets and save up your money for when he's 4 or 5.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can Pandemic be played with two players? It sounds like a game my wife and I would like.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited November 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Can Pandemic be played with two players? It sounds like a game my wife and I would like.

Yes, I believe so. You could each control two pawns. Or one each and alternate/play the third together.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My girlfriend's sister just had a baby, and I figure her oldest son (2ish) may end up being a tiny bit jealous. Both parents enjoy boardgames, and I was hoping you guys could point me to something that could be played simply with the parents + 2 year old, but also be enjoyed by the parents.

My niece is 2 years old and from what I see of her, I doubt a 2 year old can play any kind of board game. I got her Duplo for her 2nd birthday and it was a hit, so I'm seconding that.

After googling Qwirkle, I'd say it's too difficult, although kids are supposed to learn color/shape matching when they are 2-3 or so. I don't think my niece could finger-flick, so Pitchcar would be out. But really, the problem with any board game is that a 2 year old won't get any abstract rules. Get him a toy, instead.

Grobian on
    edited November 2009
    Candyland? I dunno how old I was when I started playing and I don't remember much about the game after not playing it for about 20 years or so. I dunno, I'll be 25 next month, so you do the math. But I think it's simple enough to get them at least interested in board gaming. Maybe something to show them sit down and help them learn colors. Give them something to look forward to playing more of when they get older and are able to get a better grasp on the rules.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    The Quirkle pieces are large enough that they are not a choking hazard. Again, a 2-3 year old certainly couldn't really play the game, but they could play with the pieces and start recognizing colors and shapes. That might be about the best you can hope for at that age. I'll do a bit more digging later today and see what else I can spot.

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Regarding young'ins and playing games:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/3D537AWBDIO6U

I don't really think it's possible for you to find a game that adults would take enjoyment from actually playing and yet would be accessible to someone under the age of 5. The parents would probably enjoy watching their child have a good time, though.

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2009
    Still on the wee ones topic:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/451080

Hisss is a solid card game with color matching, but the thread mentions it working better for older 3 yo and up. Zingo is probably in that same age range.

Gobblet Junior works for a child old enough to play Tic-Tac-Toe; and Tier auf Tier looks amazing. The 2 year old can play with the animals, and the adults can play the game as intended (stacking the animals).

pic267104_t.jpg

Darian on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That is immensely cute.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2009
    That is immensely cute.

I know! It also doesn't deserve to be BOTP
    Darian wrote: »
    Still on the wee ones topic:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/451080

Hisss is a solid card game with color matching, but the thread mentions it working better for older 3 yo and up. Zingo is probably in that same age range.

Gobblet Junior works for a child old enough to play Tic-Tac-Toe; and Tier auf Tier looks amazing. The 2 year old can play with the animals, and the adults can play the game as intended (stacking the animals).

pic267104_t.jpg

Note: Tier auf Tier is available stateside as Animal Upon Animal

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    man, I'm thinkin of just getting myself a copy of tier auf tier and gettin' them Hive or something. haha.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.