As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend!] XBox or PS3?

• Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got sooo bored of Vesperia. I also thought the humor was horrible and the combat grew tedious. I gave it away on Goozex about half way through.

ocious on
    Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Really? I didn't like MGS4. I really wanted to like it, but instead I didn't.

I absolutely loved MGS4 up to the end of the Laughing Octopus fight. I mean I was so completely blown away. But from that point to the end of the game, it was like the hangover had arrived. When I got to Eastern Europe and I was playing as Snake, in a trenchcoat, with a fucking P90 stashed underneath... I was so elated. I thought it was going to be some kind of crazy take on the Cold War. But then that stage was over so fast and completely wasted its potential. And it was only downhill from there.

That being said, I would still recommend MGS4 as being worth playing through to anyone who liked the rest of the series. But, to me, MGS4 is almost angering because it deliberately misses so many opportunities to be awesome, and the best parts of the game are ones you don't even get to play. You have to just sit there and watch.

Anyway, as far as games that justify the purchase of a PS3. Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2. I mean, seriously. This game... wow. If I had to name one game from this generation that had something for everyone in it, near universal appeal, it would be this. This would be the game I would use to appeal to non-gamers.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Definitely get a PS3. Better exclusives (literally not a single X360 exclusive that I would personally purchase, everything good they have that doesn't come to the PS3 comes to the PC instead), plus all the multi-platform titles. Then you've got Blu-Ray. The PS3 only does everything!

hottoq on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously? I'm about the biggest troll on the planet when it comes to the 360 and even I wouldn't say that it doesn't have a single exclusive worth playing.

Most big games on both systems are multiplatform and have a better version on PC anyways.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously? I'm about the biggest troll on the planet when it comes to the 360 and even I wouldn't say that it doesn't have a single exclusive worth playing.

Most big games on both systems are multiplatform and have a better version on PC anyways.

I said there wasn't a single 360 exclusive that *I* would personally pay for and play. Halo, Fable, Gears of War 2, etc... no interest whatsoever. Just my personal preference.

hottoq on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hottoq wrote: »

I said there wasn't a single 360 exclusive that *I* would personally pay for and play. Halo, Fable, Gears of War 2, etc... no interest whatsoever. Just my personal preference.

That just means you haven't done your homework. Either that or you have the narrowest gaming tastes I've ever seen. You could list any major gaming genre and there'd be at least one worthwhile exclusive game on the 360 in that genre.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would personally plump for the PS3, I get more enjoyment out of mine. It somehow feels much more... "solid" than the 360.

I enjoy the exclusives more, online is free (and I don't play often enough to warrant paying) and it makes a mighty fine media player (blu-ray etc). I also much prefer the interface.

But both are exceptional machines and the differences really are few and far between. Just go for the one you like the most exclusives on, other cross platform games play well enough on both that that shouldn't factor in to your decision.

And both are roughly the same price nowadays too.

As to the above, there are a number of 360 games where I've liked the exclusives but none enough that I couldn't have done without. Except Crackdown. Crackdown is just awesome.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You really can't go wrong with either, but I wanted to put in my $0.02 about the XBLA. It's pretty much heaven for a 2D platformer fan. N+, Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Braid, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, the list of awesome platformers keeps going on and on, and they're all dirt cheap. These days I honestly play more XBLA games than I do games for any other system I own.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you know other people who have PS3s, there's a minor exploit that can be done with the PSN, where you can download content onto your PS3 while logged into their account, then use it on any of your accounts on that system.

There's a global limit of 5 devices with the content, but as long as you're not somehow like, the epicenter of the whole PS3 universe, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I know about 6 people with PS3s and it's very common to find that content I want ends up being free, for me. In return, others get my stuff for free. This requires a lot of trust, or a lot of driving around, to accomplish, but I enjoy it.

Really, it comes down to what games you want, and how much, and how soon. Honestly, this generation, I don't see many games staying exclusive forever unless they're first- or second-party developers. Both systems have great visuals that excel in different areas, though despite having a PS3 I must say my preference in graphics probably goes to the 360, if not by much. Having a blu-ray player or not, and a TV where that'll matter or not, also is a factor.

However, I don't think any of us can really make the decision for you, or even give you input that's particularly meaningful unless you ask us some REALLY specific questions.

Sidenote: I'm astounded at how civil and non-fanboy this thread has been. We've all kept ourselves under control. This is, simply, amazing. I hope we keep it up, proving once again why the PA forums are such a great resource.

Addendum: Cocks dicks lol.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I do reviews for an Xbox 360 centric site so I'd like to think my opinion is unbiased. Personally I prefer my PS3 -- specifically due to better hardware reliablity (I've gone through 5 360's so far), and at this point better hardware value.

When talking to folks I usually point out that at 299 for a PS3 you are getting a blu ray player, free wireless, easy to change HDD and free online. The 360 on the other hand you have to pay extra for the wireless adapater, pay extra for Live, pay through the nose if you need a bigger HDD. I think that a base 360 (base meaning with HDD) is about the same price as the PS3.

Software wise things are abit of a wash. I personally prefer PS3 exclusives over 360, however, both systems have great titles.

As others have mentioned controller preference may also play a big role in your choices. I tend to lean towards my 360 for FPS shooters and games that require a ton of voice communication. It's also alot easier to connect with friends on Live than it is on PSN (in my opinion).

Still, if I was in the position of not owning either system and only having the money for one, I'd pick the PS3 as it currently represents a better value in my opinion strictly from a dollar standpoint when stacked up against the 360.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

And...and this is kind of relevant....for some reason, almost all of those multi-platform titles are better on the Xbox 360 than the PS3. So the pecking order goes PC, Xbox 360, PS3. Of course, very often (about half the time, and all the time when it comes to genres like fighting games), PC isn't included period, but that's a different matter.

It's weird, since a lot of the reasons are contrary to what you'd (or at least I'd) assume:

- The Xbox 360 has equal, or shorter, loading times, despite not relying on a 10 to 30 minute installation.
    - Installations are a minor pain in the ass on the PS3. Granted, you only need to go through it once, and PS3 hard drives are huge now. It's a hassle, though, and keeps me from buying 'true' multiplatform titles for my PS3.
    - Xbox 360 visuals, nine times out of ten, are either equal to, or visibly more vibrant, than on the PS3. Brighter colors, better anti-aliasing.
    - As I mentioned, PSN just reached one million members, according to Sony's own admissions. It is significantly smaller than Xbox Live, despite being free. Smaller body means a smaller population to play with. This isn't a big deal for major titles, for the most part, but it makes a huge difference on minor hits. Only ten players on XBL is better than zero on PSN. By comparison, Xbox Live had a population of 6 million in 2007 (though this number does not distinguish between gold and silver users), and it would still have grown in the past two years.
    - In the past, Xbox Live has gotten DLC that isn't available on the PS3 (look at GTAIV, Tomb Raider: Underworld, and other titles). There really isn't any comparison for this. PS3 users were out of luck, they can't download the stuff. This is on a game-to-game basis, obviously, but in the meantime, if you like one of those games, having it on PS3 is basically just crippling yourself.

Of course, all these reasons individually could be secondary to "which controller do you enjoy more"? But taken together, they can make a difference. And there are exceptions--like, for example, Bioshock--to this trend overall. There's also the issue of voice communication--PSN users are less likely than XBL users to have headsets. A lot of people would probably prefer this. Personally, I think it kind of sucks, since I can always mute annoying players, and communicating with voice logs in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or any other game kind of sucks.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If it adds anything to the discussion, I own a 360 and a PS3 and I still haven't bought any games for my PS3, but my 360 backlog keeps growing and growing.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If it adds anything to the discussion, I own a 360 and a PS3 and I still haven't bought any games for my PS3, but my 360 backlog keeps growing and growing.

While I have bought some games for the PS3(I heartily recommend Valkyria Chronicles, Infamous and Afrika), but I completely understand what you mean.

If it's a multi platform title I will get it by default for the 360. Although, and another good reason to buy the two, sometimes I'll see a better deal on the PS3... Like Overlord 2, I found it for a couple of pounds cheaper than the 360 and went with that.

If it's a game I know I will be playing multiplayer... I'll never ever get it for the PS3. The online is free and that is about the only good point you can make about it.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    - The Xbox 360 has equal, or shorter, loading times, despite not relying on a 10 to 30 minute installation.
    For lots of people the Xbox 360 also relies on installation, the noise from certain 360 DVD drives is intolerable.
    When talking to folks I usually point out that at 299 for a PS3 you are getting a blu ray player, free wireless, easy to change HDD and free online. The 360 on the other hand you have to pay extra for the wireless adapater, pay extra for Live, pay through the nose if you need a bigger HDD. I think that a base 360 (base meaning with HDD) is about the same price as the PS3.
    On the hidden costs, do 360 controllers come with the play & charge kit yet? Also, you need Microsoft HDMI AV cables if you want to connect to your TV with HDMI and your AVR with optical.

Zell on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    You really can't go wrong with either, but I wanted to put in my $0.02 about the XBLA. It's pretty much heaven for a 2D platformer fan. N+, Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Braid, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, the list of awesome platformers keeps going on and on, and they're all dirt cheap. These days I honestly play more XBLA games than I do games for any other system I own.

While this is all true (and these are all great games), only Splosion Man and Shadow Complex are exclusive to 360. Braid and BC Rearmed are on PS3, and the guy has a PSP (and maybe a DS? Pretty sure everyone does by this point), so he has access to N+ as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What I'm saying is buy both, though. Eventually. If I had to pick only one, it'd be my PS3, but I ended up buying a 360 as well just for Shadow Complex and Splinter Cell Conviction and I've been enjoying the multiplatform games on it as well since...you know, I have it, and technically they're usually better (though most of the time, the differences are negligible).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'm in the exact opposite boat, as the last 360 game I bought (or more accurately Goozex traded for) was Gears Of War 2, and that's only because Microsoft weaseled out of releasing a PC version.

In that same span of time, I've bought or traded for a bunch of PC and PS3 games.

If you have a gaming-capable PC, the PS3 has a bunch more exclusive games even if you buy the PC versions of multiplatform games like the cool kids do.

That being said, the 360 controller is the best controller in the history of consoles.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    - As I mentioned, PSN just reached one million members, according to Sony's own admissions. It is significantly smaller than Xbox Live, despite being free. Smaller body means a smaller population to play with. This isn't a big deal for major titles, for the most part, but it makes a huge difference on minor hits. Only ten players on XBL is better than zero on PSN. By comparison, Xbox Live had a population of 6 million in 2007 (though this number does not distinguish between gold and silver users), and it would still have grown in the past two years.

If your only source is a chain letter--of which I have received a couple on my own PSN account--I'm going to have to call bullshit on that one.

Also the 360 controllers do not come with a play and charge kit. You have to either stock up on AAs or spring for the kit separately.

Princepeach on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    - Xbox 360 visuals, nine times out of ten, are either equal to, or visibly more vibrant, than on the PS3. Brighter colors, better anti-aliasing.
    These days the differences are so slight that it hardly matters.
    Not sure where you're getting those numbers from.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't own either system but both end up in my possession regularly so I can keep up with the titles on both.

PS3 interestingly gets more multiplayer action due to about 70% ownership along the lines of my friends and family. Free doesn't hurt but since I don't own the system making new gamertags isn't a problem so I can get free Live whenever I need it...which hasn't been the case at all in the past two years.

However I'd forgo all the advantages of the PS3 besides free online and the fact that my friends are there to use the 360's controller. The DS3 is the continuation of the world's worst controller and it is a crime against humanity that that piece of shit controller continues to ruin people's hands after twelve long years. The D-Pad is bad (360's is worse for controls but better on your thumb) and in the wrong spot. The sticks have massive dead zones, are inaccurate and pressing the stick button while holding down the stick is a chore, unlike the weird but eventually commonplace feeling movement on the 360 while performing that movement. The triggers are just wrong, though the clip ons do help a bit.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

If your only source is a chain letter--of which I have received a couple on my own PSN account--I'm going to have to call bullshit on that one.

Also the 360 controllers do not come with a play and charge kit. You have to either stock up on AAs or spring for the kit separately.

Makes sense to me. 1 million seems too low, in retrospect.

Also, I prefer batteries to the PS3's method of mini-USB charging. Enormously. If I have Xbox 360 controller that dies, I can simply replace the battery. This takes about ten seconds. If I have a PS3 controller that dies, I have to stop playing and wait till it charges. That takes a few hours. However, that's just because I happen to sit far way from my consoles, which I store underneath my TV. A longer mini-USB cable would also solve that problem.

As for graphical differences, the differences are indeed very minute (with a few exceptions, like Ghostbusters, the Video Game, where the PS3 uses lower quality textures and fewer lighting effects). Frankly, I don't know why they're there at all, because the PS3's video processing power has been so widely promoted.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rechargeable batteries are probably the best solution to the 360's wireless controllers. The play and charge kit battery packs are terrible, I bought two of them and both of the batteries stopped retaining charges within 4 months of use.

I'm okay with mini-USB charging for the PS3 controller so long as my controller keeps retaining charge. It's been doing okay, and between a few different mini-USB cables I have plenty of locations to recharge it from.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rechargeable batteries are probably the best solution to the 360's wireless controllers. The play and charge kit battery packs are terrible, I bought two of them and both of the batteries stopped retaining charges within 4 months of use.

I'm okay with mini-USB charging for the PS3 controller so long as my controller keeps retaining charge. It's been doing okay, and between a few different mini-USB cables I have plenty of locations to recharge it from.

My biggest complaint is that the mini-USB will only charge the PS3 if the console is on. Which means to charge my controllers, the most natural action is to leave my PS3 on. Versus using a considerably less power-thirsty battery charger.

(Of course, rechargeable batteries have their own disadvantages--but given that I use them for so many things at my home, they're still more convenient.)

I could plug my DS3 into my computer, but that is in a different room. Or maybe my television's USB ports, but I'm not certain that would charge them.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Wii will charge the DS3 while "off".

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the room that houses my PS3 also has a computer and my 360 in it. Lots of options for finding a handy, active USB port to charge stuff off of.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I have this conversation with people I ask the following:

Do you care about multiplayer as much as or more than single player? (y/n)

(if no) do you own a blu-ray player? (y/n)

(if no) buy a ps3.

I would say that the Xbox is a better video game machine. It is more rounded, has better online, a better controller, more game selection, more of a user base.

The PS3 is a great gaming machine that also plays blu-rays which let me tell you, you watch a pixar movie on blu-ray without wetting your pants, and sir you are a better man than I.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm in the exact opposite boat, as the last 360 game I bought (or more accurately Goozex traded for) was Gears Of War 2, and that's only because Microsoft weaseled out of releasing a PC version.

In that same span of time, I've bought or traded for a bunch of PC and PS3 games.

If you have a gaming-capable PC, the PS3 has a bunch more exclusive games even if you buy the PC versions of multiplatform games like the cool kids do.

That being said, the 360 controller is the best controller in the history of consoles.

I don't game on anything but my console & DS. I'm looking at a new PC and not even thinking of buying a 'gaming PC' for the sheer fact that I enjoy my loungeroom set up so much. Unfortunately there aren't any PS3 exclusives that have convinced me to drop any money, and multiplatform games have always gone 360 for the superior controller. (I despise the PS3 controller.)

As an aside I also find PS3's dash to be sort of baffling. I was looking forward to using it to browse the web but navigating is a bitch. Also it doesn't seem to like facebook at all - my news feed does not load. I also resented having to shell out extra for the blu-ray remote control. The PS3 accessories were more expensive than comparable 360 accessories too. ($100 for an extra controller is fucking bonkers.) Also, yes, inbuilt rechargeable batteries for $100 controllers is also bonkers.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I don't game on anything but my console & DS. I'm looking at a new PC and not even thinking of buying a 'gaming PC' for the sheer fact that I enjoy my loungeroom set up so much. Unfortunately there aren't any PS3 exclusives that have convinced me to drop any money, and multiplatform games have always gone 360 for the superior controller. (I despise the PS3 controller.)

As an aside I also find PS3's dash to be sort of baffling. I was looking forward to using it to browse the web but navigating is a bitch. Also it doesn't seem to like facebook at all - my news feed does not load. I also resented having to shell out extra for the blu-ray remote control. The PS3 accessories were more expensive than comparable 360 accessories too. ($100 for an extra controller is fucking bonkers.)

I watch Blu-ray movies without the remote all the time.

*EDIT* And a DS3 sure as hell ain't $100 either. What are you talking about?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not my fault he lives on a continent of suck.

In reasonable countries they don't cost anywhere near $100. So unless the OP is in Australia it won't matter.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I watch Blu-ray movies without the remote all the time.

*EDIT* And a DS3 sure as hell ain't $100 either. What are you talking about?

I guess I prefer 1-button access to functions rather than navigating through onscreen menus to do stuff. It kinda sucks I had to shell out for the privilege, when one of it's main selling points is that it's a blu-ray player.

DS3 were $99.95 in the places I looked. I do live in Australia, if that helps.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's not my fault he lives on a continent of suck.

In reasonable countries they don't cost anywhere near $100. So unless the OP is in Australia it won't matter.

Uh, I'm not trying to artificially inflate the cost for the OP.

Welcome to the internet: Now for the rest of the world to enjoy!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

As an aside I also find PS3's dash to be sort of baffling. I was looking forward to using it to browse the web but navigating is a bitch. Also it doesn't seem to like facebook at all - my news feed does not load. I also resented having to shell out extra for the blu-ray remote control. The PS3 accessories were more expensive than comparable 360 accessories too. ($100 for an extra controller is fucking bonkers.) Also, yes, inbuilt rechargeable batteries for $100 controllers is also bonkers.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who finds the PS3's interface to occasional be non-intuitive and clumsy. BUT, and this is a minor thing but is worth bringing up, I do like the fact that whatever wallpaper you use is very clearly visible, rather than Sony's ugly if unremarkable dashboard. As oppose to the Xbox Dashboard which has that annoying gray circle that cuts off much of the background. Not very fond of that. I would like it if Microsoft offered a way to turn it off, or followed Sony's example and made the dashboard block less of your selected wallpaper.

Also, because it strikes me as hilarious: weasel weasel weasel. Excuse me, I am off to send harassing emails to Konami for not porting MGS4 to the PC or the Xbox 360 (after all, MGS2 was on PC), calling them weasels. :winky:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not having MGS4 is a good thing in the end.

Also I hate both the dashboard and the XMB.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I like the Dashboard a bit more than the XMB because the majority of stuff I do with both my XMB systems is playing games, and the sorting options for games on the system is just trash. I want to be able to separate out things by a variety of categories (full game vs. demo, filesizes, hell even just being able to tell it to sort alphabetically would be great), but instead on the PS3 I can sort things into "is this a ps3 game or a ps1 game" and on the PSP I can sort into "is this content expired or not". Horrible.

But also, really quite minor in the grand scale of things.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I like the Dashboard a bit more than the XMB because the majority of stuff I do with both my XMB systems is playing games, and the sorting options for games on the system is just trash. I want to be able to separate out things by a variety of categories (full game vs. demo, filesizes, hell even just being able to tell it to sort alphabetically would be great), but instead on the PS3 I can sort things into "is this a ps3 game or a ps1 game" and on the PSP I can sort into "is this content expired or not". Horrible.

But also, really quite minor in the grand scale of things.

On the PS3 at least you can change the Album name (say to the letter it starts with or whatever you want) to organize things easier. But yeah, there's no reason for the crappy PSP sorting.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Wait, you own a PS3 and haven't bought a single game for it?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but I'm baffled that anyone can look at any console's lineup and not find anything worth playing. I mean, I can't ever imagine paying cash money for a Wii, but there are still a few Wii-exclusive games I'd buy if someone handed me a free Wii.

And the OP mentioned they have a gaming PC, which tilts the PS3 or 360 dilemma solidly in favor of the PS3.

Edit: And the XMB seems much more intuitive than the new 360 menu, plus I don't have to look at avatars, which is always a plus.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm guessing you got that from some comparison videos? Cause, you know, the guys that did those are idiots (pointing to Gametrailers) and just didn't set the PS3 to run on a monitor properly. It makes a lot of PS3 games look washed-out when they're actually identical (or near to it).
    - In the past, Xbox Live has gotten DLC that isn't available on the PS3 (look at GTAIV, Tomb Raider: Underworld, and other titles). There really isn't any comparison for this. PS3 users were out of luck, they can't download the stuff. This is on a game-to-game basis, obviously, but in the meantime, if you like one of those games, having it on PS3 is basically just crippling yourself.
    A lot of those DLC deals are timed exclusives though. Fallout 3's DLC came to the PS3 eventually and I'd be surprised if the GTA DLC doesn't come to the PS3 and PC sometime next year.
    Also, I prefer batteries to the PS3's method of mini-USB charging. Enormously. If I have Xbox 360 controller that dies, I can simply replace the battery. This takes about ten seconds. If I have a PS3 controller that dies, I have to stop playing and wait till it charges. That takes a few hours. However, that's just because I happen to sit far way from my consoles, which I store underneath my TV. A longer mini-USB cable would also solve that problem.

Personally, I can't bloody stand batteries, even rechargable ones, so I'm pretty happy that it's built into the DS3. And whenever I need to recharge my controller, I can plug that in and grab a different controller to use (I've got 3; 2 Sixaxis' and 1 DS3).

As for the interfaces, while I haven't really had the chance to really mess around with the dashboard, I think I can comfortably say I prefer the XMB. It's obviously not perfect but I think it does its job well and has been refined quite a bit (new picture display, dynamic themes, etc).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    DS3 batteries aren't going to be sold after market though, which is a strike against their longevity.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In my own experience, the PS3 handles anti-aliasing considerably worse than the Xbox 360 in multiplatform titles, at 1080p anyway. It's a minor difference, as I said, and one I don't know the reason for it. Of course, I'm coming from PC gaming, and a lot of people don't notice AA anyway. As I said, minor.
    Personally, I can't bloody stand batteries, even rechargable ones, so I'm pretty happy that it's built into the DS3. And whenever I need to recharge my controller, I can plug that in and grab a different controller to use (I've got 3; 2 Sixaxis' and 1 DS3).

Obviously, you could switch between Xbox 360 controllers the same way.

Personally, I'd rather have to worry about a battery I can buy at every grocery store or gas station in the country, rather than a unique battery that Sony sells with the controller, and is not removable. When that battery dies, I'm going to have to toss the controller. DS3 controller are, retail, $5 more expensive than Xbox 360 controllers, which is also kind of annoying, but a mild issue.

Of course, the DS3's controller's size doesn't make AA cells feasible, but personally I personally don't find it comfortable in my hands (that, and the Sixaxis controllers felt extremely cheap).

Synthesis on