As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I just failed a mandatory university class (update: I failed another one as well!))

The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple,unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
I love my uni course, the people in it are excellent and the teachers are all totally ballin. My future is in this

I just failed a mandatory class

ugh...

I have likely failed another as well, this just plain sucks.

I may have to stay an extra year at uni, and this is just a straight up bad thing.

I am staying in this course though, so help me god

oh goooood my parents are going to be such shit heads about this

At least I have my alcoholism

Tell me bros, what is the haps with your shit, what is going down, there are some bros here with some serious changes going on, some bros here who have found some pretty rad changes lately, and some bros with some changes they gotta make.

I have emailed the class covener with basically a "OH GOD PLEASE WHAT DO I DO I'LL DO ANYTHING"

The Black Hunter on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah shit TBH that's just plain terrible news

But look at it this way, at least you get to spend longer with excellent uni people and ballin teachers

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want to go back to school sometime

I also want to sleep, but my stomach is bugging the hell out of me

Moriveth on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well, at least they don't know about your homosexuality

potatoe on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I may be quitting my job today so the same thing won't happen to me

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, that suuucks, TBH! Hope you can get it worked out.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    More like the boner hunter, IMHO.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    uhh I like a girl and I'm always pretty terrible at this whole thing

it usually works out until they dump me a month later

so we'll see?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    school was the raddest time of my life

i wish i could go back

Iskander on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am looking at failing another class, Drawing as Comunication, the usual shitty art class affair, the work for it was so brain numbing and trite that I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

My Architecture History class may pass, and the teacher hinted it would, I don't know if she has the marks or if she just guessed, but that's good.

I know I passed my other mandatory class, which is ballin

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goddamn TBH, that sucks, I'm sorry

Go pet some goats, buddy

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "ballin" is good, right? you kids and your lingo...

Iskander on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    "ballin" is good, right? you kids and your lingo...

fo shizzle

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well at least you went to uni

I stayed at work to pursue a career but it crashed and burned so... yeah

Great decision on my part

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can't you resit the exam?

101 on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, my career path took a nose-dive because I worked in a satellite office. The timing could not be worse for finding a job in my industry, so I'm stuck in contract-land for a while.

My bills are paid but I'm no longer covered under health insurance, which is in no way, shape, or form, cool. At all.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I really don't know what I want to do for school, though

that is one big thing that keeps me from going back

(the other being, well, money to pay for school)

Moriveth on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am talking to this girl who says uhm instead of I'm.

>:|

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ohdear-1.jpg

THIS IS GOING ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD TBH

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aren't you like 18 - 19?

No rush, kid. Seriously, it's not good news, but the end of the world it ain't.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God.... it took me a full 10 seconds to solve that....

Like.... it has been so long since I've even dealt with geometry I actually blanked on that..... My God I'm Doomed. I can no longer solve grade school math.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude that sucks, I remember you mentioning it might happen a week or so ago.

In all fairness, from what you told me earlier, there was probably a bit more you could've done to prevent getting to this stage. You know what I'm talkin' bout dawg.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    why did you fail a class

seems like a silly thing to do

Raneados on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    why did you fail a class

Well, he said in the thread that he drinks a lot and finds his classes "trite" and "uninteresting", so....

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I almost failed a mandatory course

then I studied my ass off and did pretty well

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Work more, suck less.

It's a simple solution to most problems.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    why did you fail a class

Well, he said in the thread that he drinks a lot and finds his classes "trite" and "uninteresting", so....

so trite and uninteresting that he is sure to pass them!

HOORAY

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    pft, that's a bird course

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We had a family friend ina car accident, family friend being a 14 year old girl who has practically been adopted by my mum.

Her grandpa died, and we though her dad would too. She lived with us for 2 weeks, and I just couldn't do any work in this time.

I never really recovered from.

I was measuring some godforsaken block of toilets the city away during a major thunderstorm for this assignment, scrawling measurements up my arm

but nope:
    "some good drawings; no urban element; no research; no section; no understanding of basic structure"

I couldn't find a scrap of evidence on the net or in the library to certify this thing even existed. I of course chose to do the difficult building because I knew everyone would be doing the others. there was nothing on google images and I searched madly for anything on it. I emailed the guys who built it and simply didn't get an email back. (I am tempted to send them an emailing explaining that I have now failed the class due to a lack of information on the building, but I just don't feel that vindictive"

And it's not that I don't understand basic structure, it's that the building was a block of copper clad concrete and I didn't say much about it.

(this wasnt the trite and uninteresting course though, that was the artfag class, the optional elective)

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the best way to avoid a trite and uninteresting course is to fail it so you have to take it all over again

this is a good plan right here

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    that sucks

also: those builders will not give a shit and will send you an e-mail just to laugh at you

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We had a family friend ina car accident, family friend being a 14 year old girl who has practically been adopted by my mum.

Her grandpa died, and we though her dad would too. She lived with us for 2 weeks, and I just couldn't do any work in this time.

I never really recovered from.

I was measuring some godforsaken block of toilets the city away during a major thunderstorm for this assignment, scrawling measurements up my arm

but nope:
    "some good drawings; no urban element; no research; no section; no understanding of basic structure"

I couldn't find a scrap of evidence on the net or in the library to certify this thing even existed. I of course chose to do the difficult building because I knew everyone would be doing the others. there was nothing on google images and I searched madly for anything on it. I emailed the guys who built it and simply didn't get an email back. (I am tempted to send them an emailing explaining that I have now failed the class due to a lack of information on the building, but I just don't feel that vindictive"

And it's not that I don't understand basic structure, it's that the building was a block of copper clad concrete and I didn't say much about it.

(this wasnt the trite and uninteresting course though, that was the artfag class, the optional elective)

These sure are words you are saying.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't mean to sound harsh, but it's times like that it's good to have a backup plan.

It really, really sounds like you kinda left this assignment or whatever to the last minute and didn't allow for contingencies.

Yes, one doesn't usually plan for things like family/friend deaths, but I told you that if the case is severe enough, you can get extensions/exemptions.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I completely screwed up a test in a class earlier this semester, and got about 48%. (to be fair, the pass rate for the class was 53%, but still)

It's required for next semesters courses, so you are completely screwed if you fail.

So I prepared for the 2nd test by writing an 80 page summary of everything that was going to possibly be on it, read it over and over and over, and got a 95%.

Now it's just the final coming up. 3 tests for the whole semester, the only way to get your marks.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    buy a throwaway

take pictures

TBH I am pretty sure you have failed because you are pretty lazy

and an alcoholic

problems that need addressing

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, things happened, but I should have been proactive.

I really left everything up to myself, and when someone tried to help, or I knew someone who could, I just never really went for the asssistance.

well, this way I'll be 22 when I leave, which isn't too bad an age I guess.

@rane: Not really an alcoholic, it's a pretty casual thing, 2-3 beers every few nights, and every month or so I go on a banger of a night

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i left college at 24

you'll be fine

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Basically what I am trying to tell you TBH, is that my perception of you is that you are not pro-active enough when it comes to getting shit done in your life, based on several things you have posted about in the history I have known you here.

Sounds harsh, but that's the beauty of being an impartial Internet Observer, I can tell you what I perceive about you and you can take it or leave it.

Sometimes you gotta grab shit by the balls in order to get it done. You don't seem to do that.

edit: yes see you just pointed out the issue before I even posted it myself. Be Proactive.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2009
    One thing that I have learned over about the last six years of my education is that when I fail something, it's almost certainly my own fault. I resat chemistry three times and only got a good mark the third time because I knuckled down and put the effort in.

So I guess what I'm trying to say TBH is that unless you have extenuating circumstances, then you need to pull your finger out and put in the effort if you want to succeed. Your education depends on noone but yourself.

bongi on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Harden the fuck up.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I failed every single class one semester 8-)

Shifty Fister on
This discussion has been closed.