As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had my first L4D2 Rage.

We were doing Adv Campaing on Dead center, got to the car. Fathom gets chargered halfway across the map upstairs as we put in the last fuel can. Hordes are coming, 2nd tank may be inbound, were all low on health. Chicago Ted and I tell dustbot to let fathom die, we cant even get to him in time. Dustbot goes after him anyways while ted and I are sitting at the car, killin zombies, yelling at dustbot to come back. Fathom dies as dustbot gets there. Dustbot heads back. I get smokered, and die, just before dustbot gets to the car, so i get robbed of my achievement D:

I raged sooo hard at dustbot. So, if youre reading this, dustbot, im totally sorry for how I reacted. I'm still annoyed about it, but i handled it ridiculously poorly.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's something annoying about the worst member of the team barking orders. Especially when I just got 400 points, incapped two survivors, and sending two others into the yellow in a single life. Super especially when he's doing worse than the guy from Brazil with 500 ping.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    So I rented this for the 360... does the original gamer tag still apply, or is no one playing this except on PC?

both

Well, pud.

bullshit, i have it
    and like, two other dudes

so this worked out rather well

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I had my first L4D2 Rage.

We were doing Adv Campaing on Dead center, got to the car. Fathom gets chargered halfway across the map upstairs as we put in the last fuel can. Hordes are coming, 2nd tank may be inbound, were all low on health. Chicago Ted and I tell dustbot to let fathom die, we cant even get to him in time. Dustbot goes after him anyways while ted and I are sitting at the car, killin zombies, yelling at dustbot to come back. Fathom dies as dustbot gets there. Dustbot heads back. I get smokered, and die, just before dustbot gets to the car, so i get robbed of my achievement D:

I raged sooo hard at dustbot. So, if youre reading this, dustbot, im totally sorry for how I reacted. I'm still annoyed about it, but i handled it ridiculously poorly.

I shouldn't have even got charged. I was up high trying to make sure you guys were covered, and I was scrambling to figure out how to get down. I saw the charger from the other side of the balcony where I was, and in that split second I thought I can jump down and probably get downed, or try to kill the charger before he gets to me. I for some reason thought to try to kill the charger... and he got me.

Urian on
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    There's something annoying about the worst member of the team barking orders. Especially when I just got 400 points, incapped two survivors, and sending two others into the yellow in a single life. Super especially when he's doing worse than the guy from Brazil with 500 ping.

It's true that it's irritating to have a bossy player who is bad, but it's incredibly important to have someone filling the "team commander" role (in vs/scavenge, you can be more democratic in campaigns). It doesn't really matter what particular decisions he makes, so long as there is one person making decisions quickly and keeping people focused. I've seen teams of awesome players go down to inferior teams because either nobody was being assertive, or everyone was trying to be the commander. This was true of L4D1 as well, but scavenge mode really highlights the importance of this.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No. I hate armchair generals. I will willfully spite these people and in fact many people do, or kick them. Fuck you, bossy armchair general guy.

You are not playing with a team - and you are too bad for any team to want you, anyway. Etc.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    inlemur wrote: »

It's true that it's irritating to have a bossy player who is bad, but it's incredibly important to have someone filling the "team commander" role (in vs/scavenge, you can be more democratic in campaigns). It doesn't really matter what particular decisions he makes, so long as there is one person making decisions quickly and keeping people focused. I've seen teams of awesome players go down to inferior teams because either nobody was being assertive, or everyone was trying to be the commander. This was true of L4D1 as well, but scavenge mode really highlights the importance of this.

He was of absolutely no help at all though. He had no idea what he was talking about, and would tell players what they should of done instead even though they were effective.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    inlemur wrote: »

He was of absolutely no help at all though. He had no idea what he was talking about, and would tell players what they should of done instead even though they were effective.

FYI I'm not defending some random internet dude. He sounds awful. But a lot of people get up in arms about someone being "bossy" when they have no plan to contribute themselves. Working together sometimes means listening to the assertive guy or asserting yourself, because there's no time for democracy in vs/scavenge.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good gravy that Parish finale is a killer! How can anyone do that on expert!

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FroggyP wrote: »

Ignore the tank and run right past him. Once you get a certain distance away from the tank it's all over and plus you won't have any major hordes coming.

Fighting the tank is usually a waste of time and effort.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Ignore the tank and run right past him. Once you get a certain distance away from the tank it's all over and plus you won't have any major hordes coming.

That is certainly nifty advice. Makes sense though. I'll definitely try that next time around thanks!

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

That is certainly nifty advice. Makes sense though. I'll definitely try that next time around thanks!

I did it with bots. Believe it or not this strategy makes something that is rage inducing really easy to do. If you have some adrenaline once you pop that you're away to the helicopter. The bots are 90%+ certain to die at that tank so once you get to the helicopter it's really easy.

This is how I plan to get the expert realism achievement as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, once the Tank spawns hit your hypo and gtfo.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I rented this for the 360... does the original gamer tag still apply, or is no one playing this except on PC?

I'm usually playbg this on the 360 around midnight pst. Probably be on in abut 10 minutes actually, unless the dropping in and killing of manz without worrying about teamwork tempts me to mw2

Tommatt on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm boycotting this b/c charging full price for an expansion or the full version is ridiculous. If someone wants to spite boycotters, buy me a copy and gift it to me.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I'm boycotting this b/c charging full price for an expansion or the full version is ridiculous. If someone wants to spite boycotters, buy me a copy and gift it to me.

you better try another strategy lol

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Getting killed halfway through the first level and then having the enemy team make it all the way in team versus, its gonna be one of them games, yep yep. Oh no, wait a minute. Looks like we completely destroyed them before they even got to the ticket booth, and then we make it all the way.

And let me tell you something, in addition to having someone take charge helping (I prefer someone else to do it, but if we're on the losing end of a match and no one is coordinating, I will do my best to try and come up with some sort of battle plan) having the right attitude helps, too. If you start losing and think "oh boy, time to get rolled for 5 maps", thats exactly what will happen. Don't do that.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    this game is pretty good huh

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God damn Phobos, I hate playing with him sometimes.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Getting killed halfway through the first level and then having the enemy team make it all the way in team versus, its gonna be one of them games, yep yep. Oh no, wait a minute. Looks like we completely destroyed them before they even got to the ticket booth, and then we make it all the way.

And let me tell you something, in addition to having someone take charge helping (I prefer someone else to do it, but if we're on the losing end of a match and no one is coordinating, I will do my best to try and come up with some sort of battle plan) having the right attitude helps, too. If you start losing and think "oh boy, time to get rolled for 5 maps", thats exactly what will happen. Don't do that.

this is so true

nobody seems to have the testicles anymore to go "okay we just lost, let's hitch up our pants and play better"

instead everyone goes "wah wah they are winning it's not like anything i do helps" and curl up in a ball

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Sounds like a terrible guy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fucking, god damn confederacy of crutches

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is like Evil Dead 2, where as L4D1 was ED1. They're kinda the same with a slightly different cast, but ED2 is much better and far more worth it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fucking, god damn confederacy of crutches

y'know, that would be pretty awesome

four retirees lashing out with their walking sticks

and bill, of course. that knee full of shrapnel finally got too annoying

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Sounds like a terrible guy.

Phobos match was phobos. Phobos went all phobos on your phobos. Phobos phobos phobos. PHOBOS!

Funny pictures of Phobos inside. Phobos.
    95_0003.jpg
    95_0005.jpg

phobos phobos phobos phobos phobos phobos phobos phobos

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Combat shotgun makes the best noise. And that little twirly strand of wire sticking out is really endearing.

Well, it is a weapon suited to face a crowd of zombies (if its fully loaded). If the team faces any "boss" zombie and you CAN aim (i am more like "even if you had a missile launcher you would miss an elephant's ass" to quote a famous movie) a sniper rifle is not that bad. Just don't forget to turn off your flashlight if you wanna play the sniper, so they won't see you once you stop moving.

OF course there are many reasons to choose shotguns. I personally think it has nothing to do with gameplay mechanics. After all it just FEELS RIGHT in that situation, not unlike a chainsaw.

Why? Oh that is easy to answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_82kvQLkA

ACSIS on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Achievement hint: There are some achievements that everyone gets if one person makes it. Even if you die during the finale, you'll still get Guardin' Gnome and Bridge Over Trebled Slaughter if the conditions get fulfilled. You also don't need to help to get Stache Wacker. Also, even if you join right at the end, you can still get Violence In Silence and Sob Story. I think you have to be alive for those, though, since you get them when you walk into the safe room.

Happy hunting!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow I hate the finale of Swamp Fever. In fact I can't stand that campaign at all. It goes from swamp, to shacks, to revenge of the swamp shack, followed by "Oh look some shacks in a swamp" and then you get dumped in the plantation. I feel the same loathing towards that place that I did with Blood Harvest, except Blood Harvest had a pretty fun finale.

Oh, and yay for getting Guardin' Gnome last night. It took a couple of hours but it was worth it to get that little bastard on the chopper. :D

Edit: I buckled and got the PC version so I could play with friends. SteamID is the same as my Xbox Live gamer tag (dunxco) in the sig. Hit me up for some co-op campaign, scavenge or versus (haven't tried the last two yet).

Dunxco on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Combat shotgun makes the best noise. And that little twirly strand of wire sticking out is really endearing.

Well, it is a weapon suited to face a crowd of zombies (if its fully loaded). If the team faces any "boss" zombie and you CAN aim (i am more like "even if you had a missile launcher you would miss an elephant's ass" to quote a famous movie) a sniper rifle is not that bad. Just don't forget to turn off your flashlight if you wanna play the sniper, so they won't see you once you stop moving.

OF course there are many reasons to choose shotguns. I personally think it has nothing to do with gameplay mechanics. After all it just FEELS RIGHT in that situation, not unlike a chainsaw.

Why? Oh that is easy to answer:

[Tubegone]

Does flashlights matter in L4D2, because they didn't in the first game? Anyone to confirm this?
    I'm usually a sneaky fucker with a sniper rifle, I need to know this fact.

Also, the times I've blown my invisibility due to voice chat because I forget I'm not on TS are numerous.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Does flashlights matter in L4D2, because they didn't in the first game? Anyone to confirm this?

Also, the times I've blown my invisibility due to voice chat because I forget I'm not on TS are numerous.

They do in BOTH games. Its a well guarded secret. I sometimes noticed survivors seemed to "fade out" (the lines around them in undead view) when standing still. You only achive that by turning the flashlight off and stop moving. So turn your flashlight off whenever possible but do not run into any dark rooms without the flashlight. Because you are on the move then and storming into a dark room with no vision is really not that advisable.

If you do this little trick you will notice people start calling you a cheater but it is really a gameplay mechanic. I think its even in the manual if my memory serves me right. Its certainly not common knowledge judged by the majority of people i encountered in L4D VS games. Also slowwalk helps to move without showing up. You CAN sneak in this game. Of course its not possible to move rapidly through a level like that, just for certain situations. Glad to be of service.

Weaknesses: The common Infected is about as durable as a 1000-year old vase. Two to three bullets from the pistol to the torso is normally enough to take them down, and a single shot to the head is an instant kill. They fall like flies to the advanced weapons like the semi-automatic shotgun, hunting rifle, and assault rifle. They also can't hear at all, allowing you to sneak up on them and bash them in the back for an instant kill. If you have ever played Halo, you know how this mechanic works. However, your flashlight must be off and you must be walking or crouched.

source:http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/02/left-4-dead-guide-how-to-identify-a-zombie/

And because its not common knowledge its a good tactic for avoiding damage.

Its just like the two guys with the lion coming to their tent.
    "Why are you tying your shoes you can't outrun a lion?"
    "I just have to outrun YOU."

You can't really blame me for them not reading up their manuals, can you?

ACSIS on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

this is so true

nobody seems to have the testicles anymore to go "okay we just lost, let's hitch up our pants and play better"

instead everyone goes "wah wah they are winning it's not like anything i do helps" and curl up in a ball

Yeah. Some friends and I were doing some Versus and it was a close ass game. We got riiiiiight up to the end of DC1 before we lost in the first round, while we managed to shut them down at the Motel. Sounds bad right? Well they rallied and managed to take us down in Kiddie Land. So the game was pretty close at this point. At this point one of our team-mates decides to go full retard. I mean, 100% R-e-t-a-r-d. Starts hanging back from the group, running the wrong way, yelling and shouting about Smokers and Spitters and how he just haaaaas to go back half the damn map to kill them. So anyway, even with that Handycap we managed to get all the way to the end of the coaster before we all managed to get bowled off. Shit happens right? So, we shut them down a little earlier than they got us, now we're up about... 150 points or so, easy to make that up if you really try. I'm the only member of the team to make it to the Concert, I mean they destroyed everyone else but my one friend who dropped right outside the door (sorry man, in the house means the door is CLOSED :P) Their response? They all quit. It's a close game, we have 3/4 of our team in vent, with one of the three just drooling on the scenery, so basically its a team of two propping up the non-vent guy.

Do people just hate a challenge? I love the close games much more than the stomps since it makes every round you do a smidge better than them a major victory. Maybe I'm just strange like that.

Infected of the match though? Spitter, hands down. Fuckin' LOVE that Spitter.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love Scavenge mode but damn the ragequitters.

If round 1 doesn't go to plan with pubs, nine times out of ten I'll be the only person left in round 2. D:

I need to play with proper people it seems.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Movitz wrote: »

They do in BOTH games. Its a well guarded secret. I sometimes noticed survivors seemed to "fade out" (the lines around them in undead view) when standing still. You only achive that by turning the flashlight off and stop moving. So turn your flashlight off whenever possible but do not run into any dark rooms without the flashlight. Because you are on the move then and storming into a dark room with no vision is really not that advisable.

If you do this little trick you will notice people start calling you a cheater but it is really a gameplay mechanic. I think its even in the manual if my memory serves me right. Its certainly not common knowledge judged by the majority of people i encountered in L4D VS games. Also slowwalk helps to move without showing up. You CAN sneak in this game. Of course its not possible to move rapidly through a level like that, just for certain situations. Glad to be of service.

Weaknesses: The common Infected is about as durable as a 1000-year old vase. Two to three bullets from the pistol to the torso is normally enough to take them down, and a single shot to the head is an instant kill. They fall like flies to the advanced weapons like the semi-automatic shotgun, hunting rifle, and assault rifle. They also can't hear at all, allowing you to sneak up on them and bash them in the back for an instant kill. If you have ever played Halo, you know how this mechanic works. However, your flashlight must be off and you must be walking or crouched.

source:http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/02/left-4-dead-guide-how-to-identify-a-zombie/

I just learned in the first months of the first game that the flashlight doesn't matter and trusted that. Got it from an FAQ somewhere. Moving slow and shutting the hell up is necessary of course. I've crouchsneaked up on sooo many infected with my flashlight on so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. That or I've been really lucky or played against dumbasses all the time :)
    Will definitely look into this tonight.

[EDIT] Linkage http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778290

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You won't be disappointed.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    wow, i am addicted to scavenge mode so badly! Its an understated addition to this game! Hopefully they add more stuff later.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You won't be disappointed.

We'll see. I still don't believe you, my anecdotal evidence says otherwise. Fear my anecdotes!!

No, but as I said, I'm usually the sneaky dude with the sniper rifle and I make craploads of sneaky kills with my light turned on. And people that are AFK at the start of the map pretty quickly fades out because they don't move, but flashlight is still on.

I'm pretty sure the flashlight is irrelevant.

[edited a 100 times because I suck at writing]

Movitz on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Wow I hate the finale of Swamp Fever. In fact I can't stand that campaign at all. It goes from swamp, to shacks, to revenge of the swamp shack, followed by "Oh look some shacks in a swamp" and then you get dumped in the plantation. I feel the same loathing towards that place that I did with Blood Harvest, except Blood Harvest had a pretty fun finale.

Oh, and yay for getting Guardin' Gnome last night. It took a couple of hours but it was worth it to get that little bastard on the chopper. :D

Edit: I buckled and got the PC version so I could play with friends. SteamID is the same as my Xbox Live gamer tag (dunxco) in the sig. Hit me up for some co-op campaign, scavenge or versus (haven't tried the last two yet).

swamp fever is great

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What I usually do is shift+walk. It's faster than crouch walk and it will hide your versus presence. You don't get the same accuracy boost as crouch, however.
    Flashlight doesn't matter. In-game voice and automatic character responses (RELOADING) do though.
    You also don't need to help to get Stache Wacker. Also, even if you join right at the end, you can still get Violence In Silence and Sob Story. I think you have to be alive for those, though, since you get them when you walk into the safe room.
    Yeah you do.

I managed to get Sob Story because one made it to the safehouse (I was down, near a wall past the corn field), other 2 folks dead, the guy in the safe house had to wait as I was still dying, went AFK, goes idle, Bot takes over, runs out of safehouse and gets teleported over to me, gets me up and I manage to make it in while on third strike - achievement get.

Thank you, bot!

Alegis on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tip of the hat to last night's 4v4 versus crew, even with half our team getting that fucking spectator-bug at the third round of Dead Center and our tank getting owned, we still managed to pull a win out.

Thumbs up for teamwork and thumbs down for Valve and that fucking bug :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »

swamp fever is great
    I agree, Swamp Fever is great. Its the only one out of the 5 that brings back memories of what L4D1 was like to play.

DJ Cam Cam on