As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antivirus System Pro: how do I remove this BS?

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
So my girlfriend's computer is infected with Antivirus System Pro.

It won't allow her to open the task manager, or any other programs.

Every online source I've found has stated that you need to use the task manager to disable the currently running processes first. So what's up, is she fucked?

Edit: Ah, okay. Once the thing is actually here physically tomorrow, I'll try rebooting in safe mode. For now she's using a friend's computer.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not even in safe mode? That generally will disable most startup programs. The other option is a bootable CD based on XP. Like http://www.ubcd4win.com/ . There are others, based off Windows XP install discs.

There also the bootable CDs made by Antivirus program makers, but I'm not familiar with those. Maybe someone else here has more experience with those and can tell you if they also clean malware off a system.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you can get into safe mode, you might try Process Explorer. It'll let you see all the dependent processes and dlls being used by that PoS scareware so you can kill (or at least identify) them all.

I would highly recommend a safe-mode scan with a fully updated MalwareBytes AnitMalware as soon as you're able. MBAM picks up and rips out a lot of these horrid things very well.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the advice. She was worried about restarting in safe-mode in case she needed to download anything or keep talking on AIM, since it seemed to prevent programs from opening.

But once it's safely near another computer, we can actually get down to it.

Edit: I actually may try to set her up with a separate data partition or maybe even an external backup drive, so she can reformat more easily as a way of eliminating these things.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would recommend Revo Uninstaller. Install it and then boot into safe mode and run it.

After you have the PC clean make sure to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would recommend backing up any important files and reformatting, or you'll never really trust the thing again.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I would recommend backing up any important files and reformatting, or you'll never really trust the thing again.

This. While it's not an attractive option, a reinstall is faster than ever with Win 7. And if you've got a spare harddrive or just a slave drive with enough space you can backup media files and such to that before the format. This really is the best option so that you know the system is safe.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh god, you do pretty much need to format. Staff computers at work keep getting that, and due to me working in tech support, I keep getting them. It locks the FUCK out of that computer.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Revo and Malwarebytes should take it out.

KiTA on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am not sure if this is a derivative of the total security virus but the symptoms sound similar. To deal with the total security virus you need to go into c:\windows\system32 and rename the task manager file (taskmgr.exe) to iexplore.exe. The virus will then allow you to run task manager since it thinks that it is something else that it needs to run it's shenanigans. The process you need to kill will likely be named something like 30394876239 or something similarly ridiculous composed of all numbers. Once you do you will be able to run other stuff again, and as suggested generally malwarebytes will kill the offender.

Again I don't know without seeing it if it is in the same family of worms or not.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Neat trick, renaming task manager. I'll have to remember that.

KiTA on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    citizen059 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Neat trick, renaming task manager. I'll have to remember that.

That doesn't always work, with group policies viruses/spyware etc can disable task manager, registry editor etc from working regardless of name changes. The more advanced ones will end processes which query running processes like attempting to list running processes or listing the registry. Some will detect certain names of the program running in memory, so say you rename taskmgr.exe to iexplore.exe a virus will look at the name of the program from its window name and if it matches say "Task Manager", "Process Explorer" etc then it will end that program.

This is exactly why I use a custom bartpe cd, I have various programs on there that I use when removing viruses etc from pc's. (regeditpe, hijackthis etc)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Best strategy is usually a full reformat. Unless someone has a complicated setup (in which case they usually have both taken precautions against these types of things and know what they're doing) it's just not worth the hassle.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My girlfriends computer got infected with this. It's fucking impossible to remove. I hear that Malwarebytes works if it was installed before you got infected. It will physically prevent you from installing the program after the fact.

Reformatting is really your only option.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reformatting is the only safe option once a machine is this badly compromised.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited November 2009

My girlfriends computer got infected with this. It's fucking impossible to remove. I hear that Malwarebytes works if it was installed before you got infected. It will physically prevent you from installing the program after the fact.

Nah, easy fix. Rename malwarebytes' installer and install to C:\abbadszag1

Or install it to a thumbdrive on another machine and bring it on over. Rename the main EXE after you do it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i don't think the reformat is to kill the offending virus so much as to make sure that the virus/malware didn't open up other vulnerabilities on the machine that will just allow the whole infection to happen again.

i've worked on three really bad cases in my school's IT dept in the last month where it just saved more time to backup and rebuild the machines rather than run endless malwarebytes/spybot scans. one of the machines would even bluescreen going into safe mode but would work fine in regular Windows.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got this shit. Just restarted the computer and started the task manager before it started up. Killed the process and deleted the binary. Seems to have done the trick.

Yann on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i don't think the reformat is to kill the offending virus so much as to make sure that the virus/malware didn't open up other vulnerabilities on the machine that will just allow the whole infection to happen again.

i've worked on three really bad cases in my school's IT dept in the last month where it just saved more time to backup and rebuild the machines rather than run endless malwarebytes/spybot scans. one of the machines would even bluescreen going into safe mode but would work fine in regular Windows.

This. Very this. Here's a good read on the topic. The article may be old, but it's still very relevant. See here.

Basically, there's no way to be sure you removed everything once something's on there.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yann wrote: »
    I just got this shit. Just restarted the computer and started the task manager before it started up. Killed the process and deleted the binary. Seems to have done the trick.

You're really fooling yourself and setting your machine up to get fucked again.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just arrived at my grand aunt's house to discover this waiting for me. Full reinstall wheee

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »
    I just arrived at my grand aunt's house to discover this waiting for me. Full reinstall wheee

Well at least you have an excuse to update to Win7 if she doesn't already have it.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well at least you have an excuse to update to Win7 if she doesn't already have it.

Her 5 year old laptop doesn't have sufficient memory to run it.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Her 5 year old laptop doesn't have sufficient memory to run it.

Debatable. I've heard Win7 will run on anything XP can run on. Not sure if I believe that, however.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

Nah, easy fix. Rename malwarebytes' installer and install to C:\abbadszag1

Or install it to a thumbdrive on another machine and bring it on over. Rename the main EXE after you do it.

Won't work with some of the versions of this I've come across. It'll let you run the installer if you've renamed it, but it will delete the executable for MBAM as soon as the installer puts it there. Even if you install it in a non default directory. I eventually beat it by keeping that directory open in another window, and as soon as the executable appeared I renamed it before the virus found it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png