As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My poor ignored Wii. Help it!

• KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How good was the second Boom Blox? My friends and I loved the multiplayer in the first one but there just wasn't enough. Is the second one basically more multiplayer? If so that's exactly what I want.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Little King's Story is the best non-Mario-Galaxy game on the system.

I agree. It's definitely up there for me, and it was quite a pleasant surprise this year. Very addictive gameplay, with a tinge of dark humor for good measure.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Krentz wrote: »
    How good was the second Boom Blox? My friends and I loved the multiplayer in the first one but there just wasn't enough. Is the second one basically more multiplayer? If so that's exactly what I want.

It's more...everything. They took out the crap bits (shooting levels), added in some fun new stuff (like sling-shotting blocks), added more levels, modes and the ability to download a near-infinite supply of custom levels from the net. I'd also suggest that you and your friends are missing out a bit if you honestly haven't tried playing the singleplayer levels in turns, but personal preference and all that. Given the massively reduced price, certainly worth picking up for more multiplayer.

Bioptic on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    360 had nothing good until over a year after launch

Um, Kameo, Condemned, CoD2, DOA4, Fight Night, I think Oblivion, and I'm sure there was more.

And the PS3 had good games before MGS4.

LockedOnTarget on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, Kameo was a piece of shit. Such a horrible game.

You might as well say Perfect Dark Zero.

LewieP on
    edited November 2009
    I'm just gonna have to say I disagree. It was a very solid, underrated title. Perfect Dark Zero wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be either.

How did this thread get to four pages without anyone mentioning freaking Zelda? It may not be one of the best Zeldas, but it's still a good game worth playing.

LockedOnTarget on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Condemned was fantastic, though.

It was mentioned already in the thread, but I'll throw in a vote for Zack and Wiki. It feels like Wind Waker turned into a point-and-click adventure game, which I certainly approve of.

Also, BlastWorks is a pretty fucking awesome game that nobody bought. It has flaws, but you should be able to get it for $15 or less if you can find it. It also has 4-player co-op, although it was crazy enough when I tried 2 players. If you like shmups at all, grab it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1Y2xxGmKM

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blast Works is $9 used at Gamestop. I'm very tempted to pick it up later this week with their Buy 2 Used get 1 free deal.

RainbowDespair on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm just gonna have to say I disagree. It was a very solid, underrated title. Perfect Dark Zero wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be either.

No, LewieP is right. Kameo is an awful game and something Rare should be eternally ashamed of. Perfect Dark Zero is even worse than that and should never ever be mentioned again.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps aside, Rare were never any good in the first place.

Xagarath on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps aside, Rare were never any good in the first place.

You don't consider Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie any good?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited November 2009
    And what exactly is so bad about Kameo? Because this strikes me as one of those "well it wasn't GREAT so therefore it sucked" things.

It had solid gameplay, was good from a technical standpoint, and was overall a decent Zelda clone. It wasn't a AAA title but I don't see where the "it's horrible" opinions are coming from.

LockedOnTarget on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the Perfect Shot really worth the money if you can't aim down the sites with any accuracy?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

D:

emnmnme on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the Perfect Shot really worth the money if you can't aim down the sites with any accuracy?

Well some games allow you to calibrate and make it 1:1 accurate. Such games include HOTD2&3, HOTD:OK, Ghost Squad, Dead Space Extraction, and I feel like I'm missing one...

Anyway, is it worth it for games that you can't calibrate for 1:1 like RE:UC, RE:DSC, and Link's CBT? Well.. it's still a question of comfort. You'd still be holding a gun rather than a remote... but.. I'll be honest, I don't think it's necessary for these types of games. I think only people who are lightgun shooter fans really should invest in a shell, beceause they'll get the most out of it.

Now for RE:UC or DSC, I think I played the whole game with the Zapper (ie the wiimote installed in, the nunchuck out in left hand). It was kind of like playing with a stock to stabilize aim. And although I have not played the game without the Zapper, and I have not played it with the Perfect Shot, I still think that it's probably not worth getting a gun-shell unless you at least plan on getting several lightgun shooters.

tl;dr - if you plan on getting several lightgun shooters, get a shell. If you only plan on getting one or two, particularly the Resident evil ones, you probably won't really benefit much from it.

slash000 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It had solid gameplay

No it didn't. It's gameplay was very stale and technically flawed, due to the completely odd decision to stick with using only the two shoulder buttons and not use most of the controller. This made a lot of things more difficult than they should have been.

Plus it also felt extremely cliched and stale right off the bat -> Not a good sign.
    slash000 wrote:
    Now for RE:UC or DSC, I think I played the whole game with the Zapper (ie the wiimote installed in, the nunchuck out in left hand). It was kind of like playing with a stock to stabilize aim. And although I have not played the game without the Zapper, and I have not played it with the Perfect Shot, I still think that it's probably not worth getting a gun-shell unless you at least plan on getting several lightgun shooters.

I have most of these lightgun games and I find they are perfectly fine without any lightgun or similar IMO. They play really well on the Wii and IMO are some of the more fun games on the system. I don't feel the zapper really adds a lot to be honest and can be avoided, but it's nice to have if you do get it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it's good to hear that they're all fun without the shells.

I will say though that it is, at least, an option in some games, such as the ones I mentioned (HOTD2/3, HOTDOK, Ghostsquad, dead space, and i feel like i'm missing one but maybe not)

I played through HOTD2&3 with a perfect shot after calibration by using the perfect shot and I did so with the onscreen aiming reticle turned off so it ended up being pretty much just like you expect a traditional lightgun game to play. But in order to do so you have to make sure you stand far enough back from the screen for it to be able to calibrate.

slash000 on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll pass on getting it.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It had solid gameplay

No it didn't. It's gameplay was very stale and technically flawed, due to the completely odd decision to stick with using only the two shoulder buttons and not use most of the controller. This made a lot of things more difficult than they should have been.

Plus it also felt extremely cliched and stale right off the bat -> Not a good sign.

yeah, kameo was a real snore. it felt like it could have been really great, but all the gameplay choices they made were incredibly dull.

boring combat (mindless button mashing), and same exact boring "puzzles" used over and over throughout the entire game (if you see a torch: light it on fire with dragon, if you see an ice wall: climb it with yeti, if you see a gate:tunnel under it plant guy). it made the whole transformation thing feel extremely gimmicky and the gameplay uncreative

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited November 2009
    Even if I were to agree the gameplay was stale/dull, that's not what I would consider an "awful" game that a company should be "ashamed" of making. That's how I would describe something like Superman 64.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited November 2009

You don't consider Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie any good?

Nope. Never have.
    Both were generic, overrated platformers carried purely by their graphics.

Xagarath on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Agreed about DKC, all of them, especially the first one were about as barebones as you can get concerning a platformer. I enjoyed them, but they were not the best games out there.

Blast Corps on the other hand, was great.

I still consider Rare as being a generally good company under Nintendo....but they've gone way way WAY downhill since then, as I'm sure MS are kicking themselves for spending so much money on them.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still think Rare is a great company, it's just criminally underused.

My real hope is that - if Moleyneux is correct and Natal has been under development forever - that when MS bought Rare they literally moved them almost immediately and exclusively to Natal, and that once Natal launches Rare will have some truely amazing stuff right out of the gate.

I absolutely loved both Viva Pinata and Viva 2. And Rare gets no credit whatsoever for the whole Avatar system on the 360. There's a lot of talent there still.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    There are secret targets in archery?
    Don't watch the whole video if you don't want to be spoiled, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSdmZ2u5aPk&feature=related

Holy shit

Peas on
    edited November 2009
    Also, having just got it, Rabbids Go Home is far better than it has any right to be.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2009
    Is it?

I pretty much plan on getting it at some point.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now that they have gone home, do we get a new Rayman game?

LewieP on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I'm actually thinking of selling my 360 and getting a Wii. I really don't have room for more than one console and the 360 is.. Not really impressing me anymore.
    Is there anything I should know about the system before I actually go out and get one? No widespread problems like the RROD or such?

Rizzi on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Even if I were to agree the gameplay was stale/dull, that's not what I would consider an "awful" game that a company should be "ashamed" of making. That's how I would describe something like Superman 64.

Hey, I'm with you dude. I liked Kameo too. I thought it was a fun little adventure game; which we don't get nearly enough of these days.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    So I'm actually thinking of selling my 360 and getting a Wii. I really don't have room for more than one console and the 360 is.. Not really impressing me anymore.
    Is there anything I should know about the system before I actually go out and get one? No widespread problems like the RROD or such?
    Last I heard, the Wii had the best rating in terms of not needing repair, or at worst is tied with PS3. No widespread problems, no SKU madness.

Buy a 2 gig SD card to go with it and you can store and launch downloaded games from it. It's necessary if you plan on downloading more than 4 or 5 games, since the Wii has only 512 meg built in. Of course you can always delete and redownload as often as you want too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited November 2009
    I already have a bunch of SD cards floating around here.. So that won't really be a problem. :D

Rizzi on
    edited November 2009
    Also, Will I need to buy component cables? Or do they come with the console?

Rizzi on
    edited November 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is it?

I pretty much plan on getting it at some point.
    The gameplay's basically a katamari copy (but a good one) with more precise controls and pit-and-hazard type levels.

It's more the fact that you're playing kleptomaniac rabbits piloting a shopping trolley and stealing peoples' clothes.
    The game rides as much on the visual style and humour as anything, and it does it well, especially the Brave New World style setting.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2009
    Also, Will I need to buy component cables? Or do they come with the console?
    No, they don't come with it, just regular AV.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited November 2009
    Ah, that sucks. Just need to decide what games to get with my Wii when I eventually get it. Trying to decide between NSBM, Twilight Princess, and Galaxy. Sadly, I will only have enough coinage to get two of the above. D:

Rizzi on
    edited November 2009
    Ah, that sucks. Just need to decide what games to get with my Wii when I eventually get it. Trying to decide between NSBM, Twilight Princess, and Galaxy. Sadly, I will only have enough coinage to get two of the above. D:

Start with these, then later get Zelda and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited November 2009

Actually I would say Metroid Prime Trilogy first, if you think you would enjoy that sort of game. When you can only afford two games, it's a good idea to make one of them the Wii's Orange Box - lots of gameplay time there.

Then, Mario Galaxy if you expect to be playing alone; it is a longer game and still the best example of everything the Wii can do. But if you want to play with others, definitely get New Super Mario Bros.

UncleSporky on
    edited November 2009

Mario Galaxy and Little King's Story are the best games on the system.
    Get those two.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2009
    There is a lot to play outside of Little King's Story.

Mario Kart Wii, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles, House of the Dead Overkill, Muramasa, de Blob, Punch Out, Smash Bros Brawl, Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, Metal Slug Anthology, A Boy and his Blob.

I would sooner buy each of those than Little King's Story. Which is not to say anything against LKS, it's a great game!

UncleSporky on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This right here. If you want to play with other folks, get Mario Kart Wii as well.

Choosing from the things I've played this year on Wii, Little King's Story, the Wiimake of Jungle Beat and Klonoa are fantastic. Dead Space looks very good as well, although I don't own it yet.

Rotam on