As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Japanimation] ITT B:L shows how small our penises really are compared to his

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hells yes, I love Patlabor. Never did see the third movie, but the synopsis sounds pretty lame anyway.

Hmm, are the OVAs even available on DVD?

The third Patlabor movie wasn't bad, persay - it's just that it was a Patlabor movie in name only (the main cast appears only once, in the climatic scene, as backup.) Otherwise, it's a well done, if a bit generic, sci-fi noir thriller.

And no, they're not...from what I understand, the rights were in limbo for a long time, and now the material is considered too dated to localize.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Now my question is, can anyone recommend some other good shows from that time period (Late 80s-early 90s)? OVAs are fine too, my tastes are broad so I will watch just about anything but I prefer a bit of action.

Arbitrarily defining "late 80's-early 90's" as 1986-1994:

Mobile Police Patlabor
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Robot Carnival
    Appleseed
    Gunbuster
    Riding Bean
    Gunsmith Cats
    Yawara! (Yawara: A Fashionable Judo Girl)
    City Hunter
    Various Lupin III stuff
    Vampire Princess Miyu
    Record of Lodoss War
    The Hakkenden
    Here is Greenwood
    Bastard‼
    Giant Robo
    Battle Angel
    Combustible Campus Guardress
    Dragon Half
    Please Save My Earth
    Slam Dunk
    Super Dimension Century Orguss 02
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Blue Seed
    You're Under Arrest!
    Iria: Zeiram the Animation
    Key the Metal Idol
    Macross Plus
    Oh My Goddess!

Man, what a nostalgia rush. Long live VHS!

Awesome :^: Thank you! I'm surprised how many on that list I've already seen but I am definitely going to check out the rest now.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just don't read any Battle Angel manga BEFORE you watch the OVA.

You'll be horrifically disappointed.

It's not that the OVA is bad, just that it sucks compared to the awesomeness of the manga.

Falx on
  • SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So having watched two episodes of Halo Legends, I'm getting the feeling that it's set during the industrial era of Japan. o_O
    JAPAAAANN!!

holy crap, I didn't know those were out

Does Waypoint on LIVE have both up still, or is MS taking them down when they put a new one up?

I'm pretty sure that they were each up for just one day. There's a schedule somewhere of when each episode is going to be up.

Edit: Here it is.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guys a long time ago someone posted a couple of vertical panel jokes

one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

what was the name of the show there?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

I'll just let myself out...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

I'm pretty sure that was Sketchbook.

Chrono Helix on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

ah thats it! thanks man i shoulda asked you guys earlier.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm catching up on El Cazador de la Bruja on Funimation cause I stopped watching it in the middle back when it was first airing. It's a pretty good show so far, like Noir but not boring.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • MastashakeMastashake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So having watched two episodes of Halo Legends, I'm getting the feeling that it's set during the industrial era of Japan. o_O
    JAPAAAANN!!

holy crap, I didn't know those were out

Does Waypoint on LIVE have both up still, or is MS taking them down when they put a new one up?

Sooo...

How JAPAN do we think the other installments will be?

Mastashake on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read Parasyte a few weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. Very different from most of the manga that I typically read. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should give it a shot. Just uh, be aware, it's gory.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • MastashakeMastashake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    I read Parasyte a few weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. Very different from most of the manga that I typically read. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should give it a shot. Just uh, be aware, it's gory.

Good series.
    GIANT PENIS ARM

Mastashake on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mastashake wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    and theres a GIANT PENIS ARM out of left field
    Oh God I totally forgot about that.

That was pretty much win.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now my question is, can anyone recommend some other good shows from that time period (Late 80s-early 90s)? OVAs are fine too, my tastes are broad so I will watch just about anything but I prefer a bit of action.

Arbitrarily defining "late 80's-early 90's" as 1986-1994:

snip

Man, what a nostalgia rush. Long live VHS!

Awesome :^: Thank you! I'm surprised how many on that list I've already seen but I am definitely going to check out the rest now.

I had the same reaction. At first I thought: have I even seen much from this period? Then as I started combing through the list on Wikipedia it all came rushing back.

juice for jesus on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This show is silly. It also suffers from a severe case of KAWAII.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

ah thats it! thanks man i shoulda asked you guys earlier.

Haha I posted that and it's still one of the best jokes in the series.

I'm still on a high after watching Summer Wars so good but yeah most people should wait for a release without Korean hardsubs being covered up.

Joule on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Just don't read any Battle Angel manga BEFORE you watch the OVA.

You'll be horrifically disappointed.

It's not that the OVA is bad, just that it sucks compared to the awesomeness of the manga.

I have actually seen the OVA and read all the manga up to Last Order vol 13? I think..whatever the latest volume is. Definitely one of my favorite series ever.

You're right, the OVA is good in it's own right but the fact that it doesn't include motorball means it could never compare with the manga.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Same director as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I see. Could be worth a look.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    So, Summer Wars is out. Apparently the quality of the video is craptacular but the translation seems to be ok. I think I'll be waiting for the DVD version... also THORA says they're gonna do the blu-ray, whenever that is.
    Can't wait for the full HD version, Oz is crammed full of background details that got drowned out in the DVD resolution.
    Also, fun movie, I enjoyed it.

Glal on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

The only bad part of Dragon Ball Kai is that it removes the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive

Which is a fucking crime

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:

The only bad part of Dragon Ball Kai is that it removes the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive

Which is a fucking crime

Well one can't have complete perfection.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:

Which is a fucking crime

Well one can't have complete perfection.

Are we sure that gets removed? I believe that was 110 in the original series; has Kai gotten to that point (content-wise) already?

Smasher on
    edited November 2009
    I honestly can't remember. I think that was between the Frieza and Cell sagas, which Kai hasn't gotten to yet.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It was filler before the androids showed up, IIRC.

Slicer on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Was reading random threads in ADTRW and came across a mention of a mango called Break Blade. The setting is a feudalistic continent where quartz-manipulating technomagic is common almost to a man, and everything runs on it, from lamps to vehicles to guns. In this setting we have an un-sorcerer guy (can't use magic) and the wartime happenings of his country (he just so happens to be college buddies with the king and queen). A large-scale war with a much, much larger country is afoot, and the un-sorcerer protagonist finds an ancient mecha not powered by quartz techno-magic in any way.

The mech action can be pretty hard to follow at times, with mech designs being rather similar in appearance. The problem is exacerbated by low scan quality at first, but it seems to be getting better in that regard. The protagonist's mech is certainly special, but all of them squarely fall into the 'real' robot categorization. The characterization is pretty good - almost everyone so far is a reasonable adult, and acts like one. Apparently there are six volumes released in Japan already, but it has been picked up and dropped by translators more than a few times (with resulting naming convention/scan quality differences); a new group just recently grabbed it and is up to chapter 11. This means that, so long as the new group is steady, there should be a long period of quicker than normal releases until it catches up.

On the whole, the experience so far has been rocky, but that's mainly the fault of like five different groups doing eleven chapters and the quality jumping around like a mountain goat on crack as a result; certainly not something to blame on the mango itself. It's got a ton of potential, and it seems like the author is not afraid of character death, either, which puts it miles ahead of most, in my opinion. I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Was reading random threads in ADTRW and came across a mention of a mango called Break Blade. The setting is a feudalistic continent where quartz-manipulating technomagic is common almost to a man, and everything runs on it, from lamps to vehicles to guns. In this setting we have an un-sorcerer guy (can't use magic) and the wartime happenings of his country (he just so happens to be college buddies with the king and queen). A large-scale war with a much, much larger country is afoot, and the un-sorcerer protagonist finds an ancient mecha not powered by quartz techno-magic in any way.

The mech action can be pretty hard to follow at times, with mech designs being rather similar in appearance. The problem is exacerbated by low scan quality at first, but it seems to be getting better in that regard. The protagonist's mech is certainly special, but all of them squarely fall into the 'real' robot categorization. The characterization is pretty good - almost everyone so far is a reasonable adult, and acts like one. Apparently there are six volumes released in Japan already, but it has been picked up and dropped by translators more than a few times (with resulting naming convention/scan quality differences); a new group just recently grabbed it and is up to chapter 11. This means that, so long as the new group is steady, there should be a long period of quicker than normal releases until it catches up.

On the whole, the experience so far has been rocky, but that's mainly the fault of like five different groups doing eleven chapters and the quality jumping around like a mountain goat on crack as a result; certainly not something to blame on the mango itself. It's got a ton of potential, and it seems like the author is not afraid of character death, either, which puts it miles ahead of most, in my opinion. I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Didn't have an anime announced for it a while back?

Lep on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It did? Nice. Sounds like an interesting show. Nevermind the fact that it's mecha. >.>

157 more chapters and I'll have caught up with Initial D!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was just doing some digging, and it seems it'll have a six-part movie deal starting sometime in 2010. Done by Production I.G. and XEBEC. Cue Aero Duck showing up to say those studios suck. (Oh god, please don't. ...suck, that is.)

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    holy fucking shit today's naruto was the best thing
    KILLER BEE

RAIKAGE

DOUBLE

LARIAT

DECAPITATIONNNNNN

Rust on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    holy fucking shit today's naruto was the best thing
    KILLER BEE

RAIKAGE

DOUBLE

LARIAT

DECAPITATIONNNNNN

What! This must be investigated!

Edit: Glorious...

Dragkonias on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Umineko 6 portrait / cover / various screenshots. Spoilers, obviously.

http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=11975

setrajonas on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Double Lariat motherfuckers!

Godfather on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Negima 271:
    Goddammit Fate.

Rakan's hax level stood up, except he's being counterhaxed...

The puppet comments are interesting, though.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited November 2009
    "Double Lariat motherfuckers!" for new thread title!

Godfather on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Agreed, times 1000. That was the single most awesome moment in Naruto that has ever happened.

Thetheroo on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Agreed, times 1000. That was the single most awesome moment in Naruto that has ever happened.

Haha, those spoilers were real?

Zandracon on
    edited November 2009
    Double lariat!

Godfather on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get a room.
    narutards

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeeees

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Umineko 6 portrait / cover / various screenshots. Spoilers, obviously.

http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=11975

Haha, that portrait. A new 1998?

Zandracon on
This discussion has been closed.