As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mega-Man: Always Fighting To Save The World!

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can understand people who like easy games preferring 3 to 2.

I cannot understand people who prefer the soundtrack. The opening is the only really great track in 3, the rest is meh to good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is this some internet toughguy thing? 'Cause both games are pretty easy. 1 is the only one I'd consider remotely difficult, compared to other games of the time. In fact, I'd actually say 3 is harder, if only because of that one Wily Stage where you have to use the rush jet. Otherwise they feel about the same to me.
    I cannot understand people who prefer the soundtrack. The opening is the only really great track in 3, the rest is meh to good.

That's fine, music is one of those points I don't want to argue, as it is entirely subjective. If I had to explain it, however, I'd say that I prefer 3s music, because it is generally more progressive and off the wall. They did some cooler stuff with the sound chip.

The only tracks I really dig in MM 2 are Metal Man, Flash Man, Wood Man and Wily Stage 1.

The rest is middling to shit (especially Wily Stage 2. FUCK that noise)

Mega Man 3 has the opening track, Needle Man (which is probably my favorite level theme in the whole series), Magnet Man, Top Man, Spark Man (that intro is orgasmic), and both Wily Stages 1 and 2 are fantastic.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whose dick I gotta suck to get an HD sequel to Megaman Legends.
    Cherrn wrote: »

Is this some internet toughguy thing? 'Cause both games are pretty easy. 1 is the only one I'd consider remotely difficult, compared to other games of the time. In fact, I'd actually say 3 is harder, if only because of that one Wily Stage where you have to use the rush jet. Otherwise they feel about the same to me.

I'm pretty sure anyone calling MM2 easy counts as an internet toughguy thing.

Though the first is a great deal harder.

Then again, my perception might be skewed because I've never played through an MM where I actually used the robot master weapons.

Speed Racer on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One is harder than two, two is a lot harder than three, three is harder than four,which is harder than five, which is about the same, maybe a bit harder than six, seven is harder than 3-6, eight is about as hard as seven, and nine is about as hard as two.

I don't get how anyone can argue that three is about the same as two. Two has much harder levels and bosses overall. Hell because of the levels two on "normal" is still harder than three.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tron Bonne is wonderful. Glad I own it.

Dehumanized on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just remembered that I never finished MML2. I got to what I think was the final boss and then I had to return it to the friend that lent it to me.

Speed Racer on
  • Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nth-ing where the fuck is my mega man legends 3 its been years capcom.

also I think 8 is my favorite because that was the one that I could beat when I was growing up.

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't get how anyone can argue that three is about the same as two. Two has much harder levels and bosses overall. Hell because of the levels two on "normal" is still harder than three.

It's been a while since I've beaten either game (back in 2004, I suppose, when the Anniversary Collection came out), but I definitely had a harder time with 3, probably because the levels are longer. I went through 2 in one sitting after not having played it for years, and I could probably do it again today. I fail to remember any really hard parts in 2 - the flash beams, maybe, and that one dumbass bird/ladder screen in Crash Man's stage. Shifting blocks are also in 3, so I don't know?

The bosses, though? Really? I don't even know how you'd even argue this, as it's entirely based on pattern recognition. It's not like any of them require seriously skillful jumping like, say, Yellow Devil.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is awesome.

This is the honest truth.

Found it at a BJ's a couple years after it came out (think a Sam's or Costco-type deal) for $15. Wonderful, wonderful way to spend my cash.

UnbreakableVow on
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember Wily being pretty damn hard in 7. Nothing else sticks out as too much more difficult than the rest but they've all merged together by now. I never had as much trouble with the yellow devil as some.

If we wanna go outside numbered mega mans, MM&B has some wacky hard segments.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My favorite Mega Man series is actually the Zero series. Remember that part in X3 where you actually got to play as fuckin ZERO? Now knock that shit up to 11. That's the Zero series. Bosses that will rip your ancient tech ass to ribbons if you don't play it right. hard series, especially if you play it right like I do.

and of course the boss music

Zero's in trouble
    no cyber-elf runs, always.

SkutSkut on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you like Megaman Legends and random game designs, you need to read this. It's a bunch of fanmade designs for a 3rd Megaman Legends game, complete with lore, reaverbot designs, and a ton of sketches.

I especially like his idea for rogue servebots to function as old Megaman 1 enemies and bosses.

(Also pretty much all that guy's other game design lore stuff here and here are amazing)

Frem on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never gotten the big deal about Mega Man 2. The Zero and Legends series surpass it completely.

Actually, if I had to pick a game that was almost perfect in terms of fun and gameplay, it would be Mega Man X.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like how you guys are just pretending that Command Mission never happened.

Not that I blame you or anything. It's just cute.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got that for Christmas one year.

I like RPGs. I like Mega Man. This can't go wrong!

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hear it wasn't actually terrible...

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Command Mission was decent. It was fun to have a Mega Man RPG game. The story wasn't the best though. I think it would have been better had it had more recognizable characters from the regular X series.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've actually got it sitting around somewhere and started a game way back around when I first got a Wii.

I'll say this much: at least X no longer sounds like a pre-pubescent huffing helium.

Sorenson on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    I've never gotten the big deal about Mega Man 2. The Zero and Legends series surpass it completely.

Actually, if I had to pick a game that was almost perfect in terms of fun and gameplay, it would be Mega Man X.

I don't know if you were a child of the 80s, but I was. It came out when I was 8, and was the first (for me) iconic release not developed by Nintendo. The music wasn't cutesy, it rocked...hard.

Does that mean it's nostalgia talking? Probably, but so what.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Megaman X3 is my favorite Megaman game, without questions. Also one of my favorite action-platformers. The soundtrack is excellent.

Graviija on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited November 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Megaman X3 is my favorite Megaman game, without questions. Also one of my favorite action-platformers. The soundtrack is excellent.
    Whoever they got to do the music must've been from a metal band or something, 'cause the soundtrack is practically nothing but electric guitar and synth. I think the intro stage was the only one that differed on account of the brass, and that only accounts for about a third of the song anyway.

Sorenson on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah I think I'd pick X1 for that too. It just felt like a perfect evolution of the series.

On a semi-related note, I'm sad that Capcom hasn't made another Zx yet.

Slicer on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That Mega Man vid was great. :p

Ranadiel on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    Whoever they got to do the music must've been from a metal band or something, 'cause the soundtrack is practically nothing but electric guitar and synth. I think the intro stage was the only one that differed on account of the brass, and that only accounts for about a third of the song anyway.
    And somehow, it fit completely. I fucking adore some of the remixes - especially Phoenix Project's. It's wonderful.

And I usually really dislike metal music. The overriding tunes are just great.

Graviija on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Every single time I hear Wily's theme from 2 I mentally play the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkdvYThT_Y

Spectral Swallow on
    edited November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs&feature=player_embedded#
    Fixed.

Sorenson on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs&feature=player_embedded#
    Fixed.

I assume by 'fixed' you mean, "Turned into a terrible screeching mess."

Spectral Swallow on
    edited November 2009
    I never said I liked what's been bored into my skull. D:

Sorenson on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

IMO, what made MM2 so good was that they seemed to put a lot of thought into the weapons. If you look at the way levels and enemies are designed you'll noticed that each weapon had its own specific purpose aside from killing a specific robot master.

Bubble lead was great for killing low to the ground enemies, the Metal man blades could be shot in 8 directions making it easier to kill flying enemies and the Flash man attack let you kill enemies that require multiple shots easier.

Megaman 9 also does this very well.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Funny I was playing Mega Man 9 today trying to beat it and I just had to put it down since its so god damn frustrating.

I really enjoyed everything up until Wily's castle then it just got ridiculous and punished me for trying to complete the level. Don't trigger that enemy? Die. Thats not a life so you die.

And there was just a ridiculous boss fight (from what I read) and a repeat of all 8 bosses so I just put it down.

Great fun up till that point.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is only one section in MM9 that I'd say is a legitimate dick move on the part of the designers, and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

"Oh hey, you got through that bullshit grabber robot into spikes sucker-punch? Here, have some 1-ups. :D"

I still laugh at it.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was a huge Mega Man fan for as long as I can remember, but it just isn't a franchise I trust anymore. Too many bad games over the last few years. At least the ZX series was halfway decent. Flawed, but redeemable if they would try to make a third entry. Mega Man 9 was a nice throwback, but nothing but those ridiculous Star Force games have been released since then. Even Battle Network was damn good imo up until the fourth one. And don't get me started on the PSP remakes. I adored them so much, but we'll more than likely never see another one. Hell, they could skip the PSP and release them as XBLA and PSN games.

Also, Capcom is a terrible troll with Mega Man Legends. Releasing the cell phone port/remake, rereleasing the games on the PSP (in Japan) and then not showing any interest in actually continuing the series.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Also, Capcom is a terrible troll with Mega Man Legends. Releasing the cell phone port/remake, rereleasing the games on the PSP (in Japan) and then not showing any interest in actually continuing the series.

Are you sure the cell phone game is just a refresh of the original? I mean, I'm sure they reused some bosses and such, but there's a lot of things in these screenshots I don't recognise. Also, Megaman Legends had a huge unified underworld and mostly took place on a single island. "Megaman Legends Five Island Adventure" doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to that sort of thing.

Frem on
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MegaMan is the greatest thing ever here is a video with lots of MegaMan(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdvJZ2eRzJA
    Oh yea it's playable too

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is only one section in MM9 that I'd say is a legitimate dick move on the part of the designers, and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

"Oh hey, you got through that bullshit grabber robot into spikes sucker-punch? Here, have some 1-ups. :D"

I still laugh at it.

If I could beat the game I would laugh at it.

But seriously fuck that part. It would be so bad if I didn't get knocked back wards and fall off the platforms when you take damage.

And if I could save between castle stages but noooooooooooooo.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Frem wrote: »

Are you sure the cell phone game is just a refresh of the original? I mean, I'm sure they reused some bosses and such, but there's a lot of things in these screenshots I don't recognise. Also, Megaman Legends had a huge unified underworld and mostly took place on a single island. "Megaman Legends Five Island Adventure" doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to that sort of thing.

I think releasing a new game in the series that will never be seen outside of Japan is actually a worse offense.

I never saw much about it outside of some early screenshots that looked very similar to the snowy village in Legends 2, so I just made the assumption.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    edited November 2009
    Frem wrote: »

what

WHAAAAAAAAAT

WHO THE FUCK DO I PUT ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK FOR THIS

Sorenson on
    edited November 2009
    We cannot talk about Mega Man without talking about

these guys.

Speed Racer on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwnGGZEKkw

Saw them play once. It was pretty nerd-tastic.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png