As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it's an awesome idea. They could totally screw it up though. Not that it matters much to me 'cause I only have a Wii and unless you are Nintendo, it seems to be getting ignored as much as the 'cube.

But yeah, I'm seeing the game being available stand-alone (for those who already have a GH controller), and then you can choose your instrument as an add-on. Perhaps some stores that excel at making bundles will create an "everything" box for a gazillion dollars.

Online play will be hard though, considering the lag. But perhaps it'll play more like single player while you're actually playing (computer playing perfect for the other instruments), and then when you hit "playback" or something (ala Singstar Rocks) you can hear how well you actually performed. Otherwise everything will be out of sync the whole time.

And will online allow for PS3 users to play with 360 users?

Shame no Wii. I hope this doesn't become a trend. Despite that Wii has like 3x the install base of the PS3 already. I would have really enjoyed this game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Crystal Chronicles?!

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lol, true. at least this allows for online play so you don't have to hire hookers to play with.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    Here's my main question: How in the WORLD are you going to have an online cooperative music game when something like 25 ms of lag is so noticeable (such as the HDTV calibration)? Honestly, I'll fork over the money, and I have infinite faith that this can be done, but I just can't fathom the online functionality.

Well, I can't go into details about the game right now. But I can say that there are ways of dealing with lag. PC games have had to deal with this sort of thing for years... and Harmonix isn't a complete stranger to network games... think Frequency and Amplitude online.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope there will be a single player mode where you have to sing and play guitar at the same time. Although I guess you could always do 2 player mode by yourself :)

Flapke on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Here's my main question: How in the WORLD are you going to have an online cooperative music game when something like 25 ms of lag is so noticeable (such as the HDTV calibration)? Honestly, I'll fork over the money, and I have infinite faith that this can be done, but I just can't fathom the online functionality.

Well, I can't go into details about the game right now. But I can say that there are ways of dealing with lag. PC games have had to deal with this sort of thing for years... and Harmonix isn't a complete stranger to network games... think Frequency and Amplitude online.

I'm going to go ahead and trust in your ability to make it work, though I actually just bought Frequency and haven't used any of its online components. I can only assume that the game running on my system at home will "anticipate" what my drummer in Calcutta is going to do (since the game is very linear anyway). Am I right in thinking that GH already anticipates what you're going to do for the sake of playing the audio track smoothly at the right places?

Ballman on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This was (is) my absolute, end-game dream for the Guitar Hero franchise. I cannot believe this. So giddy..so...just floored.

Anyone know where I can get myself frozen till December '07?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    How do you do 4 rhythm games on one screen? 4-way split? I'm interested in the layout.

This is actually the main question I have had since thinking of a four player band game. I mean, if it's split screen, then you're going to need a really big screen to do it justice.

Still though, I'm so fucking pumped.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to go ahead and trust in your ability to make it work, though I actually just bought Frequency and haven't used any of its online components.

Sadly, you won't get to play Frequency or Amplitude online anymore. I believe the Freq servers were shut down a while ago, and Sony finally canned the Amplitude servers in the last month or so.
    Am I right in thinking that GH already anticipates what you're going to do for the sake of playing the audio track smoothly at the right places?

Yeah, basically. If you listen carefully to Guitar Hero and how it corresponds to your strums, you can see that it does some prediction; you may hear fragments of a missed note just before the "you missed" sounds cuts in.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm a little wary.

There's still a lot we don't know. How is the game going to be packaged? Will it use the existing 360 guitar? How much are the drum/microphone peripherals going to be? How intuitive is it to use the microphone? Can they make using the microphone fun? It's going to be hard trying to get an online game going when everyone wants to play the guitar part.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    All in good time, Smacky...

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want bass so hard, possibly also drums.

i will never.... never... never... never.... ever... buy a microphone though.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, moss...

IMG_0064.jpg

When will I be able to put THESE skills to the test in one of your games? ;)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    keyboardmania_us.jpg

Good luck ever finding one, of course.

I've always wanted to play it just for Akumajo Dracula Medley(aka Castlevania).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    At the very least, is there any way you could give us a possible time frame about when we will know something about the controllers that will be used? I mean, this stuff is most likely going to be expensive, and when you consider the fact that I don't have a PS3 or a 360, you're starting to talk about some fairly serious spending money. Plus, a significant portion of your fan base is only going to have a PS2, so I doubt I'm alone. I just want to know how many meals I should plan on missing in order to afford this.:x

Ballman on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

NOW I NEED TO BUY A 360

THANKS, MOSS :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    harpsichord controller!!?!?!?!?!11

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The 360 guitar controller will undoubtedly work, in actual fact that's probably when they intend to use that "effects" pedal the other thread was going on about (for those whom haven't seen it, the new 360 guitar has a port for an effects pedal to plug in or so says the manual).

The manual also mentions a place to plug in your headset (despite there being no online play in Guitar Hero 360) so that'd match up with the "singing" part.

If that's the case then when it came out I'd buy (presuming they came in editions) the "Drum addition" as I'd already have a guitar and headset.

That's gonna be a lot of wires though when playing a 4 player...

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    At the very least, is there any way you could give us a possible time frame about when we will know something about the controllers that will be used? I mean, this stuff is most likely going to be expensive, and when you consider the fact that I don't have a PS3 or a 360, you're starting to talk about some fairly serious spending money. Plus, a significant portion of your fan base is only going to have a PS2, so I doubt I'm alone. I just want to know how many meals I should plan on missing in order to afford this.:x

No, I can't give you a schedule of information except that you'll know most everything before it shows up on shelves. Ya, I know, that much is obvious... but you're gonna have to be a bit patient.

I'll try and get whatever information I can to y'all when I can, but seriously... Harmonix is the most kick-ass-awesome-in-a-can company I've ever worked for, and I ain't about to start releasing their info until they say so.

I think you need to starve for three months, though.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    A real set of drum pads would be awesome, but i could also see drums being played on a controller, in a midi pad style format.

OH SNAP!

You guys need to make a usb to midi console interface, so folks can really pimp out their drumsets with real drum pads. It would be aftermarket, like how Gran Turismo works.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    syndalis,
    I want keyboard myself... I've played piano for many years. *sigh* Oh well...

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The april 1st date on the article makes me skeptical of this but at the same time, this looks serious hmm...
    I'll wait till I see this posted on multiple gaming sites before beleiving it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Qu33n1337: LF1M Need Mic BoRap PST

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From what I've heard, Keyboardmania's the toughest to master of any music game ever. Probably because it has so many buttons. I'd like to think piano experience helps, though.
    Fireflash wrote: »
    The april 1st date on the article makes me skeptical of this but at the same time, this looks serious hmm...

Er, when someone who works for the company confirms it, I'm pretty sure you can trust it's real.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This game seems it will be VERY expensive. But I suppose if you can get enough people to play with you, it can be very fun.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    From what I've heard, Keyboardmania's the toughest to master of any music game ever. Probably because it has so many buttons. I'd like to think piano experience helps, though.
    As long as they show the rolling notes as sheetmusic, I'd be fine after a few plays. I am not the best sightreader on the planet on the keyboard, but I can pick up a song after a few tries.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I could see it being easier to fit the instrumental parts of the song on one screen if you make them more vertical, like DDR, but the vocal parts would have to be horizontal. I guess if you had vocals on top, and then three sections below for the instruments...still, it would be extremely crowded. If they managed to make percussion into a different interface, one that requires less graphical real-estate, that would be very helpful.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    syndalis,
    I want keyboard myself... I've played piano for many years. *sigh* Oh well...
    I have 10+ years of piano training, too -- Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor would be beautiful to behold. :)

It's so nice to see rhythm- and music-based games coming out so prominently this gen. I can't wait to see more shots and impressions of this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But I'll die... D:

In all seriousness, I apologize if I came off as impatient. I'm very excited about the idea of this game (I had a long discussion last week with a friend about the possibilities of a game with lead, bass, drums, and a singer, without having heard about it), and I'm just a little nervous financially right now because I'm about to finish school...and then walk right into another degree program.

That having been said, I'm not above cutting back on other luxuries in order to finance a kick-ass game such as this.

Ballman on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Er, when someone who works for the company confirms it, I'm pretty sure you can trust it's real.

Unless he's in on the joke ;)

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Elton John's Crocodile Rock would be a fun piece to play on a Keyboard Hero.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    As long as they show the rolling notes as sheetmusic, I'd be fine after a few plays. I am not the best sightreader on the planet on the keyboard, but I can pick up a song after a few tries.

cover.jpg

Pretty much just like Beatmania, but with keys, from the looks of it.

Double play = death.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Boo-urns, vertical piano roll.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Elton John's Crocodile Rock would be a fun piece to play on a Keyboard Hero.
    LFG MAPLE LEAF RAG NO NOOBS

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There was an emulator called DoReMania(or something) a long time ago for it, but I don't know if still exists.

It was confusing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    What if I don't have three friends to play with :-( ?

Then you have bigger problems than not being able to play this game.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Once again, Harmonix isn't the first to do this. And once again, I hope Harmonix improves it and makes it a ton better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GuitarFreaks : Guitar and drum, and in two mixes Guitar, drum, and keyboard:
    [edit] Session linking
    One of the major selling points of GuitarFreaks is its ability to be linked to another of Konami's Bemani games, DrumMania. This allows up to 3 players to get together for a virtual jam session. When set up correctly, the music will play simultaneously from both games, and the players' guitar and drum sounds will be relayed between the two games as well.

Because GuitarFreaks was released first out of the two games, it has always been one "mix" number higher than the DrumMania version it links up to. For example, GUITARFREAKS 6thMIX is designed to be linked with drummania 5thMIX. The games were finally "synchronized" with the release of GuitarFreaksV & DrumManiaV, which eschew the long-standing number system (they would be 12th and 11th mix, respectively).

[edit] Super Session
    Seen only in two releases each of GuitarFreaks and DrumMania, Super Session allowed the games to be linked up with Keyboardmania 3rd Mix as well. In addition to having three players controller the guitars and drums, two more could be added playing along on keyboards. However, when linked with Keyboardmania, only about a dozen songs are available to play. Keyboardmania 3rd Mix can be linked with GuitarFreaks 5th Mix and DrumMania 4th Mix, or GuitarFreaks 6th Mix and DrumMania 5th Mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution_2ndMIX : DDR and Beatmania:
    Club Version 1
    Dance Dance Revolution 2ndMIX with beatmaniaIIDX CLUB VERSiON, or Club Version 1, was also released on April 21, 1999. It has a completely different song list from 2nd Mix, instead featuring all 13 songs from beatmania IIDX CLUB VERSiON. The two arcade machines are designed to be linked to each other, allowing simultaneous play by two to four players (up to two on each machine). One song is selected by the IIDX player(s), and is then played on both machines. For the DDR player(s), only one difficulty is available for each song, although there is a different step set for Doubles mode. If a player on either machine fails the song, play continues as long as at least one player is passing.

Club Version 1 also introduced Vivid mode, which changes the color-cycling for arrows based on their placement within each bar of music. This allows players to better time their steps based on visual information, and has been enabled by default in most subsequent DDR games.

[edit] Club Version 2
    Dance Dance Revolution 2ndMIX with beatmaniaIIDX substream CLUB VERSiON 2 was released on July 27, 1999, and is able to link with beatmaniaIIDX substream. Both machines contain 42 songs, including the 13 from DDR Club Version 1. Club Version 2 allows the DDR player(s) to change the step pattern difficulty before each song, between Basic, Another, and Maniac (or just Basic and Another for Doubles mode). Song selection can be done on either machine, but the game now ends if any one of the players fails the song.

Club Version 2 also introduces the Catastrophic level of difficulty for 9-foot songs.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    All MMO jokes aside, I wonder if a Massive Multiplayer game could be based on the premise of music... gain XP by doing gigs... the more folks whoa ttend the gig and how well you do dictates your experience,w hich will open up the ability to play in different venues... crafters could build guitars and drums that offer bonuses to sound quality...

Hrmm...

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The GF/GH arguments can get ugly, but having played both, GH is a lot easier to get into, and the music's way more recognizable. 90% of GF music is J-esque or instrumentals, with a few covers sprinkled in for flavor.

And the GF controller is very, very heavy. Drummania, now that game is hardcore. Brazilian Anthem is the stuff of nightmares.

I'm sure Harmonix can improve on the formula, but when it comes to difficulty, Konami sure set an awful high standard in the drum field.

I don't think anything will ever touch Beatmania's insanity level.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edge_TurnEdge_Turn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Unless he's in on the joke ;)

I thought hmxmoss's word was gospel around here?? I'm here to back him up - this story is legit. :)

Edge_Turn on
    Gone from Shock to Rock...