As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Graphic rotting?

ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey does anyone know if the launch Wii consoles were prone to graphic card rotting? mine has just decided to show this. Is there anything I can do considering how old the machine is? Also im from the Uk

Thanks in advance

Ziggymon on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The warranty is 1 year I believe. By graphic rotting, do you mean where those little dots show up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNMO9PALZ8

If it is, Nintendo offers repair. In Canada, it's 75$ CAD.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my first Wii showed signs the graphics processor was either overheating or generally defective. first started showing up in Metroid Prime 3...certain scenes and effects (usually particle effects) would show up as graphic artifacts on the screen. you should call Nintendo customer service regardless.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if the launch Wii consoles were prone to graphic card rotting? mine has just decided to show this. Is there anything I can do considering how old the machine is? Also im from the Uk

Thanks in advance

Mine has some definite graphic card problems and also one of the first UK batches. This appeared way out of the 1 year warranty and as I hardly play the thing I don't do anything about it.

It's a little annoying but 4 player mario kart is still playable and that's about all the action the things gets on a very sporadic basis.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Definitely call Nintendo, repair is always cheaper than a new system and particularly great for a Wii. They aren't prone to any batch or anything having a problem like this or at least not that I've seen. Just something that can happen during the life of any system. And yeah, warranties are one year, you'll have to pay for it but it is way cheaper than a new one. But then again I guess I can't speak for UK's Nintendo repair service, but I can't imagine it being too different than the ones serving the States/Canada.

Kyanilis on