As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Puke On] Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 - You must be this tall ... to die!

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what's always amusing?

Charging straight into the Saferoom at the beginning of the Tunnel of Love.

Not very effective, but absolutely hilarious.

Jintor on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Assuming I can still do that the same way in 2.

You can, but sound\music\tank\onebadtank.wav is better.

Or in the same category as Benny Hill, sound\music\gallery_music.mp3 (needs to be wav'd up first in order to work)

Alegis on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Assuming I can still do that the same way in 2.

You can, but sound\music\tank\onebadtank.wav is better.

Or in the same category as Benny Hill, sound\music\gallery_music.mp3 (needs to be wav'd up first in order to work)

Yeah, both the concert versions are pretty nice. Might throw those on my ipod later.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    If you spawn as a charger at the start of Dead Center, don't say you're going to wait for them and charge them out the window at the end of the hall. Chances are you are going to fuck it up, and you would of been a lot more helpful charging them into the stairwell into a pile of spitter goo. There are plenty of other places for that instant kill that you don't need to waste time waiting and being useless to your fellow infected for that one opportunity that you'll probably just screw up at anyways.
    Killing somebody on the first level isn't easy(if you can do it you're probably gonna win the game anyway), it's worth being down one infected for a short while to get the chance for an instant takedown. They'll never learn not to screw it up if they don't try. Although people need to realize that you don't have to charge someone off yourself, you can also throw people off the ledge by charging somebody else through them - you can theoretically knock off multiple people that way and you're pounding someone to boot.

There's so many chances to get that instant kill though that it's not worth leaving your teammates hanging. Plus if the survivor is using the least bit of thought, they won't hang around that hallway directly in the path of the window. All you have to do is turn that corner and you're safe. If you attacked at the start with your buddies, you would of done a lot more damage to the team as a whole, maybe even an incap or two depending on how well it goes. You'll respawn well before they make it to the ledge, which is a hell of a lot easier to instant kill someone at.

With the new Versus scoring though you can incap all you want and it means nothing but a 25 point tiebreaker at best unless you kill somebody. A chance of an instant kill is pure gold, it really can't be passed up on. If it happens that often in the level then you should try it that many times. Maybe your teammates should wait to help maximize your chances of success.

Zek on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Remember that one time the charger knocked me onto a roof where I couldn't be rescued?
    rooftops.jpg
    Not just ANY charger. :wink:
    rooftops.jpg

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So the fifth song on the jukebox is pretty great, albeit less fun than the fourth.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you spawn as a charger at the start of Dead Center, don't say you're going to wait for them and charge them out the window at the end of the hall. Chances are you are going to fuck it up, and you would of been a lot more helpful charging them into the stairwell into a pile of spitter goo. There are plenty of other places for that instant kill that you don't need to waste time waiting and being useless to your fellow infected for that one opportunity that you'll probably just screw up at anyways.
    Killing somebody on the first level isn't easy(if you can do it you're probably gonna win the game anyway), it's worth being down one infected for a short while to get the chance for an instant takedown. They'll never learn not to screw it up if they don't try. Although people need to realize that you don't have to charge someone off yourself, you can also throw people off the ledge by charging somebody else through them - you can theoretically knock off multiple people that way and you're pounding someone to boot.

There's so many chances to get that instant kill though that it's not worth leaving your teammates hanging. Plus if the survivor is using the least bit of thought, they won't hang around that hallway directly in the path of the window. All you have to do is turn that corner and you're safe. If you attacked at the start with your buddies, you would of done a lot more damage to the team as a whole, maybe even an incap or two depending on how well it goes. You'll respawn well before they make it to the ledge, which is a hell of a lot easier to instant kill someone at.

With the new Versus scoring though you can incap all you want and it means nothing but a 25 point tiebreaker at best unless you kill somebody. A chance of an instant kill is pure gold, it really can't be passed up on. If it happens that often in the level then you should try it that many times. Maybe your teammates should wait to help maximize your chances of success.

It's only the very first hallway that's an issue. It's so easy to avoid and almost always a waste of a charger, because they either just step around the corner, the charger misses the window and hits a wall, or the charger misses everyone and goes straight out the window. Yes, I know health isn't part of the scoring, but you're able to do enough damage in the first attack alone to get most of the survivors into the yellow, or even incapped because they don't have any decent weapons yet. An almost guaranteed shit ton of damage is a lot better than a slim chance you might knock someone out of the first window, especially when just down the other hallway is the ledge part (and the first of many very very easy spots to instant kill someone). Attack at the start, and you'll respawn before they get there.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're a Charger and you do this, you're basically hording an infected for yourself without good reason. Sure, you can do the Charge, but so can someone else when the Charger comes there way. It's not tactical, it's just selfish.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If you're a Charger and you do this, you're basically hording an infected for yourself without good reason. Sure, you can do the Charge, but so can someone else when the Charger comes there way. It's not tactical, it's just selfish.
    That doesn't even make sense, you don't have all the time in the world. If nobody ever waits for a good ambush spot then there won't be a Charger when the survivors pass it. Spawning takes a while and you're not guaranteed to get one in every wave. For example, in L4D's NM5 infected would run all the way to the roof to do that ambush first because if they attacked at the saferoom the survivors would sprint to make it past there in time.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That doesn't even make sense, you don't have all the time in the world. If nobody ever waits for a good ambush spot then there won't be a Charger when the survivors pass it. Spawning takes a while and you're not guaranteed to get one in every wave. For example, in L4D's NM5 infected would run all the way to the roof to do that ambush first because if they attacked at the saferoom the survivors would sprint to make it past there in time.

In this case, the survivors have baby pistols and baseball bats, and are in a very narrow hallway with a very cramped room at the end. Spitter+charger are so good at this spot, and it's very easy for other infected to assist. I assure you, unless your team really messes up and the survivors speed run as fast as they can after (which is so rare because most people pretend they are Dora, exploring every single room), you'll spawn before the ledge. And if you're facing a team that's organized and experienced enough to speed run it, there's no way they'll let you charge them out that window.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HAI GAIZ VERSUZ MODE IZ SERIUZ BUZINEZZ

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For realz dog.

The reason I rarely played versus in the first one is that people took it way too seriously. I don't give a shit if we lost because I decided to spawn right away and pounce somebody. Please stop talking about it over and over.

Also, hopefully I'll actually be able to play this soon. My computer's been all wonky so I'm going to reinstall windows. If that doesn't fix my steam issues I'm going to gnaw off my own earlobe.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how good is this game on the 360? Is it controllable (I imagine how hectic it is makes it somewhat harder to aim)?

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    For realz dog.

The reason I rarely played versus in the first one is that people took it way too seriously. I don't give a shit if we lost because I decided to spawn right away and pounce somebody. Please stop talking about it over and over.

Also, hopefully I'll actually be able to play this soon. My computer's been all wonky so I'm going to reinstall windows. If that doesn't fix my steam issues I'm going to gnaw off my own earlobe.

People don't usually give you a hard time about it if you're actually trying. But if you just want to spawn, rush, spawn, rush, you're intentionally bringing your whole team down so of course they're annoyed.

Zek on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For realz dog.

People don't usually give you a hard time about it if you're actually trying. But if you just want to spawn, rush, spawn, rush, you're intentionally bringing your whole team down so of course they're annoyed.
    It's the equivalent of wandering around with no thought as a Survivor or not sticking with the group. It's a teamwork based game. If you do wtfever you want, yes you're being selfish.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In a team based game it's pretty nice to have your team working as a team. Maybe if you work as a team, people wouldn't yell at you when you do very silly and unthoughtful things. I'm giving helpful advice that will allow you to play and enjoy versus, and avoid people being angry with you. It would be like playing campaign and getting shot in the back of the head over and over because the guy behind you wants to shoot zombies and doesn't care about you or anyone else. That would get pretty annoying, and make you wish that guy was replaced with someone that doesn't shoot you in the back of the head over and over.

It's one thing for a player to not be good at the game, and another if that player thinks he's Rambo and screws it up for everyone else time after time. You are playing with other people, not bots.

Neva on

• Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After playing a friend's copy of L4D2 I decided I probably won't purchase it. Boohoo, it was $30 dollars, but still, I really want to play this game singleplayer but it wasn't designed for those circumstances. I haven't seen a bot announce a nade or adrenaline shot at all, and I played nearly 3 campaigns. When I've used the command toggle I only get delayed responses if any. And I don't think any bot has an affection for propane/gasoline tanks. I would love a pause feature where you can designate specific commands ala Commandos or a few action rpgs, I want to tell Coach to collect all the fuel and propane tanks that he can and place them in the center of the mall. Rochelle would have picked the Sniper Rifle for some reason so I tell her to cover Coach. Nick and Hick cover Coach and Rochelle Time Crisis style.

I CAN ONLY DREAM

McAllen on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Last night we tried to relive the melee glory and we did an Adv realism run.

This was the result:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/9/
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/10/
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/11/

Small warning, its not pretty.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's not like I was constantly rushing. I would try to attack at opportune times and coordinate and such. But if I fuck up once I don't need to hear about it for the rest of the game.

Campaign is best anywaiz

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not like I was constantly rushing. I would try to attack at opportune times and coordinate and such. But if I fuck up once I don't need to hear about it for the rest of the game.

Campaign is best anywaiz

This man speaks the truth.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah people are getting way too preachy in vs. When people want to bitch me out about a situation that could have gone either way it gets annoying. Yes. I get it you're just trying to "lead" but damn, sometimes it's just easier to shut up.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The best Vs. team is a quiet but attentive one with no leader.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So apparently friendly fire is off when you are down on the ground with your pistol/magnum as demonstrated when we all tried to kill each other in the safe room on expert. Can anyone else confirm this?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    you're all wrong, the best is a cooperative team of guys who have a good sense of humor.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was getting my ass beat on that DC expert game.

Charger fucking instakilled me out the window.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    For realz dog.

It's the equivalent of wandering around with no thought as a Survivor or not sticking with the group. It's a teamwork based game. If you do wtfever you want, yes you're being selfish.

Pretty much. Crying "LULZ it's a GAME, lighten up!" doesn't change the fact that you're screwing up everyone else's game, just so you can act like an idiot and not care about ruining the game for other people. You may as well play Unreal Tournament deathmatch instead.

I don't care if people screw up, or make mistakes. I don't mind messing around either. I also find it really annoying if someone accidentally messes up and the self designated "leader" starts having a go at them. But if you're just deliberately screwing around in a team game, then you've left a 4 man team one person short, and I have to wonder why you're even playing a team based game in the first place.

subedii on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Campaign is best anywaiz

Yes.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've joined a few games recently where there seems to have been a "leader" on each team who I guess is in charge of what everyone else does. What's with that? I never saw it in L4D1. It's really pretty fucking annoying.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McAllen wrote: »
    After playing a friend's copy of L4D2 I decided I probably won't purchase it. Boohoo, it was $30 dollars, but still, I really want to play this game singleplayer but it wasn't designed for those circumstances. I haven't seen a bot announce a nade or adrenaline shot at all, and I played nearly 3 campaigns. When I've used the command toggle I only get delayed responses if any. And I don't think any bot has an affection for propane/gasoline tanks. I would love a pause feature where you can designate specific commands ala Commandos or a few action rpgs, I want to tell Coach to collect all the fuel and propane tanks that he can and place them in the center of the mall. Rochelle would have picked the Sniper Rifle for some reason so I tell her to cover Coach. Nick and Hick cover Coach and Rochelle Time Crisis style.

I CAN ONLY DREAM

They were never made to be singleplayer games at all, they're multiplayer games with bots. Even if the bots didn't suck it's not even fun playing by yourself.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, play with your friends or make new ones.

Its better that way.

Also, for anyone who missed it;

http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/9/
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/10/ (this video starts at the wrong place, just slide forward about 5 min)
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/11/

its an Adv Realism melee only run through Dark Carnival.

Oh, its as bad as you think it would be.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I've joined a few games recently where there seems to have been a "leader" on each team who I guess is in charge of what everyone else does. What's with that? I never saw it in L4D1. It's really pretty fucking annoying.

I fear I may have been one of those people in 1, but I can't remember.

Though I think my "leadership" was pretty much just me yelling "HORDE GET IN THIS CORNER"

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

LC speaks truth. There is a marked difference between a coordinated team, and having a guy who spends the game berating/telling you how to do your job.

I like both campaign and vs but I tend to lean towards campaign when versus starts having more of this.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've joined a few games recently where there seems to have been a "leader" on each team who I guess is in charge of what everyone else does. What's with that?
    It's Scavenge's fault.

Alegis on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Pretty much. Crying "LULZ it's a GAME, lighten up!" doesn't change the fact that you're screwing up everyone else's game, just so you can act like an idiot and not care about ruining the game for other people. You may as well play Unreal Tournament deathmatch instead.

I don't care if people screw up, or make mistakes. I don't mind messing around either. I also find it really annoying if someone accidentally messes up and the self designated "leader" starts having a go at them. But if you're just deliberately screwing around in a team game, then you've left a 4 man team one person short, and I have to wonder why you're even playing a team based game in the first place.

Yea, I don't mind if you're playing and just having bad luck or you're just failing. It's a game, not everyone's perfect, but at least you've come in it with the mindset of I'm going to try my best and play.

I do mind if you've elected to join a voluntary game and then don't play. If you didn't want to play or help your team, you didn't have to join because now your presence is putting your team a man down.

Leaders are alright provided they're not just bitching all the time. It helps to have someone coordinating actions. But if you're going to yell at a random person because they're not saving you when you don't realize they've been Boomed and are otherwise blind as fuck then you can take an axe to the face.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Versus never seemed as competitive as Scavenge though, I'm not entirely seeing why Versus would be an issue. Scavenge basically requires a leader/coordinated team because of the rounds being so definitive.

You can theoretically fall behind in Versus and still win due to one round. Falling behind in Versus doesn't really seem all that dire.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Leaders are alright provided they're not just bitching all the time. It helps to have someone coordinating actions. But if you're going to yell at a random person because they're not saving you when you don't realize they've been Boomed and are otherwise blind as fuck then you can take an axe to the face.

yep

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    But if you're going to yell at a random person because they're not saving you when you don't realize they've been Boomed and are otherwise blind as fuck then you can take an axe to the face.

Limed for emphasis.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, we had another melee only run right after DK that went much better.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/12/
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/nappuccino/videos/13/

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Endaro wrote: »

LC speaks truth. There is a marked difference between a coordinated team, and having a guy who spends the game berating/telling you how to do your job.

I like both campaign and vs but I tend to lean towards campaign when versus starts having more of this.

Just ignore that player. They aren't helpful or a good teammate. You'll eventually get games with a good leader. Someone that will give the team a general game plan so you be as devastating as you can be, like a smoker pulling a survivor back and a hunter standing by ready to grab the survivor that tries to free them. They won't tell what you have to do. They are there to help communicate between all the special infected so their attacks will have more synergy. You can say "yes, I will do that" because you think it's a good idea, or you can say "no, I rather do this" because you think your idea is better. At the very least there's some idea what everyone is doing, which is very helpful in a team based game and will do a lot for your enjoyment of versus.

Teams where everyone just works together without having to say a word are the best though.

Neva on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do I edit my config.cfg file?

Everytime I add something, it doesn't work and it reverts to its default settings.

Satsumomo on
This discussion has been closed.