As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Goose & Lightning: The Snow Sabbath Shark Swallow

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Morrigan complains that dog leaves a rabbit carcass in her things because no woman wants a corpse in her unmentionables and one of the possible dialogue responses is "It probably doesn't smell any worse than what is usually in there"

and I laugh out loud.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    like, you obviously don't know what the book's about, at all, if you're saying that

I would hope so, because statements like
    Nancy Ellen Abrams, a cultural philosopher

and
    an exciting new way to understand the universe as a whole and our role in it.

reek of meaningless new-age bullshit
    if you think i would recommend something that is even remotely new-age, you obviously don't know me at all

I'm scared. This is scary Mike.

I don't want to hit you baby, but statements like
    Our universe is rich, fascinating, and meaningful

Are utter bunk. How could the universe be "meaningful?"
    if you haven't read the book, how are you supposed to know?

MikeMan on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited December 2009
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am composed entirely of myself

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    persian cats are the goofiest fucking animals in the world

platypi wish they could be as goofy as persian cats

looks like you hit a cartoon cat in the face with a frying pan and turned it out into the real world

Rust on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    It comprises all meaning?

So "meaning" is something that is inherent to a being/object?

Whether or not it is is irrelevant.

The universe is composed of everything.

Does the universe compose part of the universe?

no, the universe composes all of the universe. :P

If the universe is composed of all that exists, then all that exists composes the universe.

If something composes something else, then it is a member of that set.

If the universe exists, then the universe is a member of the set "the universe."

But the universe is merely the totality of all that exists, and thus could not be a member of its own set, no?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009

Shall we fix that?

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Demonstrably false. My wife made an apple pie from scratch for Thanksgiving. My wife, however, did not invent the universe.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Demonstrably false. My wife made an apple pie from scratch for Thanksgiving. My wife, however, did not invent the universe.

I...

No, nevermind. :P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

I...

Oh no, don't do that. Go for it. I want to hear.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Your wife might not have invented the universe, but I rocked hers.

JustinSane07 on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This paper is annoying the hell out of me.

This is the only paper in which I have managed to write entire paragraphs, read them over and over again and then throw them right out because they are not consistent enough with my initial argument or strong enough as an argument to be useful.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I...

Really? I thought maybe you were joking.

Like... your wife didn't invent the atoms that comprise the elements of that pie, for instance.

Chanus on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

According to my grandfather, the men of his generation were mostly piss and vinegar.

It explains the smell.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Atoms? Sounds like witchcraft. We all know God created everything.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited December 2009
    It comprises all meaning?

So "meaning" is something that is inherent to a being/object?

Whether or not it is is irrelevant.

The universe is composed of everything.

Does the universe compose part of the universe?

no, the universe composes all of the universe. :P

If the universe is composed of all that exists, then all that exists composes the universe.

If something composes something else, then it is a member of that set.

If the universe exists, then the universe is a member of the set "the universe."

But the universe is merely the totality of all that exists, and thus could not be a member of its own set, no?

Why not?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited December 2009

I...

Really? I thought maybe you were joking.

Like... your wife didn't invent the atoms that comprise the elements of that pie, for instance.
    Oh, I thought you were going to make a "your wife" joke. I was going to make a "she thinks she's the center of it" joke but she's sitting right next to me and was looking at the screen at the time. She's not looking at the screen right now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I thought you were going to make a "your wife" joke. I was going to make a "she thinks she's the center of it" joke but she's sitting right next to me and was looking at the screen at the time. She's not looking at the screen right now.

Hehe... fair enough. :)

Chanus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker on
    edited December 2009
    It's so hard to find a good Digital Love remix. They generally don't touch it and just stretch the guitar parts. I mean, it's such a good song that you don't really need to touch it, but - I want to hear what people can do with it.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited December 2009
    It's so hard to find a good Digital Love remix. They generally don't touch it and just stretch the guitar parts. I mean, it's such a good song that you don't really need to touch it, but - I want to hear what people can do with it.

Maybe you have, and thus the problem?

Chanus on
    edited December 2009

I'm not willing to accept that as a resolution.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited December 2009

The song is perfect as is, why mess with that?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why not?

The universe is a set. There is no such material-thing as "the universe." Everything that exists, presumably, composes the universe. If anything exists, it exists within the universe. The universe cannot be a member of something, because then the universe is encompassed by something other than itself, in which case what we were speaking of as "the universe" is not really the universe. Thus, the universe cannot compose part of the universe.

However, if the universe composes everything that exists, and the universe is not part of the universe, then how can we say that the universe exists?

It's a variation on Russell's Paradox

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited December 2009

Just search the song title and download every unique version you see, then listen to them. It takes a while but I found a really cool version of Cibo Matto's Sugar Water that way.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2009

That's accurate, but ... I want to be worldly, you know? Sigh.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited December 2009
    Why not?

The universe is a set. There is no such material-thing as "the universe." Everything that exists, presumably, composes the universe. If anything exists, it exists within the universe. The universe cannot be a member of something, because then the universe is encompassed by something other than itself, in which case what we were speaking of as "the universe" is not really the universe. Thus, the universe cannot compose part of the universe.

However, if the universe composes everything that exists, and the universe is not part of the universe, then how can we say that the universe exists?

I seriously don't understand how people get up in the morning thinking like this.

Who gives a fuck if what we call the universe, by being called such, is a logical fallacy? Everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "the universe".

Chanus on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know, it's funny. The girl I'm seeing knows my username and knows I post on the PA forums. All of a sudden I'm starting to think a little harder about what I say.....

Nova_C on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yay for family discussions on how getting drunk is a slow form of suicide.

Also, the lizard made it to the other corner of the room and has now turned around and started going the other way.

Cinders on
    edited December 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    You know, it's funny. The girl I'm seeing knows my username and knows I post on the PA forums. All of a sudden I'm starting to think a little harder about what I say.....

Yeah, you might want to delete that H/A thread you made about dealing with crabs!

Chanus on
    edited December 2009

That's accurate, but ... I want to be worldly, you know? Sigh.

Not really, no. The song is all that it can be already, which is rare enough. You've already found as much as you will find for it. Move on to the next song.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Why not?

I seriously don't understand how people get up in the morning thinking like this.

Who gives a fuck if what we call the universe, by being called such, is a logical fallacy? Everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "the universe".

Actually, I believe that rarely, if ever, do people know what they are talking about.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »

If she hasn't called the cops on you yet I think you're free and clear.

moniker on
    edited December 2009
    Why not?

but it is not being encompassed by anything other than itself but rather by itself.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Actually, I believe that rarely, if ever, do people know what they are talking about.

Just quotin' dis.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why not?

can we say everything that exists is within the universe, and not say that the universe contains everything that exists?

can we say, besides itself, the universe contains everything that exists?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man.

So I did that thing Podly mentioned where cold-brew coffee overnight in a french press. Wow does that ever turn out delicious.

electricitylikesme on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man.

So I did that thing Podly mentioned where cold-brew coffee overnight in a french press. Wow does that ever turn out delicious.

email me some?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.