As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a PS3 -- Now What?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, to anyone interested, InFamous is currently $20 off at Amazon

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, to anyone interested, InFamous is currently $20 off at Amazon

Thanks, boughted!

Zenitram on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Plus, there's nothing a Go can do that a PSP-3000 can't do. I mean, a PSP-3000 is a Go with more capabilities

Except bluetooth connectivity.

I know, I know, it's pretty worthless. Just playing devils advocate.

And more importantly save states. I doubt they would ever bring this to removable media since it would probably be considered a security risk. I'd like a psp-4000 that has bluetooth, onboard storage and a UMD drive.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Plus, there's nothing a Go can do that a PSP-3000 can't do. I mean, a PSP-3000 is a Go with more capabilities

Except bluetooth connectivity.

I know, I know, it's pretty worthless. Just playing devils advocate.

And more importantly save states. I doubt they would ever bring this to removable media since it would probably be considered a security risk. I'd like a psp-4000 that has bluetooth, onboard storage and a UMD drive.

That's the only way they'd get me to upgrade my 2000. Oh, and put the 3000's screen on there too.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just joined the PS3 club when I purchased the Gamestop Black Friday deal. I know this is blasphemy but I traded in God of War and bought Borderlands. God of War does nothing for me.

Where can I get info on great LBP levels?

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I just joined the PS3 club when I purchased the Gamestop Black Friday deal. I know this is blasphemy but I traded in God of War and bought Borderlands. God of War does nothing for me.

At least you traded for something as classy as Borderlands. You could have done worse.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I didnt like borderlands D:, no videogame should have such a slow start, i got SO bored i couldnt keep going .

Although i admit the sketchy lines on the cliffs were really cool

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quick question: What HDMI cable should i buy off amazon? I have a $10 credit to use, and I know that the slim only comes with composite cables. I've got component cables for my ps2 already that I hear I can re-use with the ps3, but I'd like to take full advantage of HDMI. For the record, my TVs aren't 1080p, but they are 1080i. Any suggestions?

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quick question: What HDMI cable should i buy off amazon? I have a $10 credit to use, and I know that the slim only comes with composite cables. I've got component cables for my ps2 already that I hear I can re-use with the ps3, but I'd like to take full advantage of HDMI. For the record, my TVs aren't 1080p, but they are 1080i. Any suggestions?
    The cheapest you can find.

If you think that's too much of a gamble, just try to stay under $30 or so.

Edit: Oh, and don't give Monster any money. [strike]They're assholes[/strike]. They're overpriced.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got mine for a penny. Of course, 2-3 bucks for shipping. But then you can buy more than one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh shit yes, the InFamous price drop on Amazon was permanent. 40 bucks for an awesome game that I haven't played yet. I was worried since I'm dirt poor after Steam sale and I thought I would miss out on InFamous, but I guess not.

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I didnt like borderlands D:, no videogame should have such a slow start, i got SO bored i couldnt keep going .

That's not really surprising. I don't think you actually like any games. :P

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Permanent? Cool. It's about time. Even Best Buy dropped the price, which they never do, so it must be a MSRP drop.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    It's pretty cool. I mean, I don't think first party games drop in price until at least a year after release? SMG is still full price everywhere...

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well I'm not going to buy it, since my friend is going away for a bit and is willing to let me borrow it. But in related news, it appears Prototype has finally dropped in price too. Not gonna get that either, because I hear it is terrible...but it did have that larger than life, superhero jump quality that I wanted in Infamous. Why walk or ride train rails when you can fly?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Batman: AA was 30 bucks over the weekend. Deal of the year.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    McCly wrote: »

I missed that deal. For some reason I didn't get that the deals started at 3 in the morning instead of 9 like they normally do.

A bunch of people on CAG are still holding out for a Demon's Souls deal or another Assassin's Creed 2 deal though.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    McCly wrote: »

I missed that deal. For some reason I didn't get that the deals started at 3 in the morning instead of 9 like they normally do.

A bunch of people on CAG are still holding out for a Demon's Souls deal or another Assassin's Creed 2 deal though.

Oh man, those forums on Black Friday were chock full of unrealistic expectations.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, so I have just been informed my PS3 is being shipped. So before it gets here, I'd like to ask you guys about Arkham Asylum. Should I get it for the PS3, the 360, or the PC?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, if you have access to all three, the PS3 is the only one that gets the Joker challenge rooms.

So... PS3.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, it runs smooth on all three, but I guess if you really want to play as the Joker, PS3. Though PC has a few cool costume mods.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did they ever actually get those to work? Last I heard the DRM in the retail copy locked out all the work they had done in the demo.

freakish light on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is off-topic but I felt one of you guys would know.

For some reason I get loading lag and stuttering on my PS3 Slim when I'm connected to my network (not playing online multiplayer) but when I remove the network cable it works fine. Any suggestions?

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Did they ever actually get those to work? Last I heard the DRM in the retail copy locked out all the work they had done in the demo.

Yeah, I heard they were demo-only too.

Which sucks, because I wanted to play as Nude-Bats.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, just picked up Killzone 2 for ~20 bucks used on Gamefly. Not bad, and I can always Goozex it if it sucks.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KimFidler wrote: »

For some reason I get loading lag and stuttering on my PS3 Slim when I'm connected to my network (not playing online multiplayer) but when I remove the network cable it works fine. Any suggestions?

When I first got my (full sized) PS3 I had some weird ass slowdown/connection issues with a wired connection, to the point of being concerned that my ethernet port on the PS3 was broke. The wireless worked fine.

Then one day I flashed Tomato onto my Linksys router, plugged in the PS3, and it worked perfectly.

So yeah, if you are running default you could try to flash a custom firmware onto it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Some routers just run shitty with the PS3. Not much you can do other than flash a custom firmware or get a different router.

edit: Though you did say it isn't affecting gaming...so you navigate slowly through menus or something?

double edit: Are you using both wireless and wired at the same time? Is that possible?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarkBridgeDarkBridge Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I recently picked one up, and I'll recommend MGS4 and LBP since those are the only two I own.

However.

MGS4:
    Fun gameplay, great graphics, awesome storyline and quirky humor. But, they aren't kidding when they talk about half hour+ long cutscenes. I came in new to the whole franchise, never played the old MGS games. I eat up a good storyline, so I was pretty well satisfied by the Patriots and all that stuff. I recommend playing it in long stretches so you can absorb the entirety of a cutscene whenever it happens to pop up.

But, I will say this - almost all of the character development outside of Snake himself is painfully cheesy. It was very hard for me to take anyone besides Snake seriously when I was being presented with horribly soap opera-like circumstances.
    Raiden especially, after the end of the game.

Not that it's a bad story or anything. The delivery could just use some work in some places. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, since it's not a movie, but once you step into the bounds of film-like entertainment, I guess they risk stepping on the cheesy, already-been-there-before-a-million-times territory, with the way they handled romance/betrayal and all. Maybe just bad localization? I dunno.

Again, still liked it. All of the cutscenes reminded me of FFVII: Advent Children, which I enjoyed.

LBP:
    Lots of fun, especially with some friends. However, I've only run into a handful of player-created levels that have actually been challenging/fun to play. It's a very simple game, but its visuals and humor save it from becoming boring too fast. The official levels on the disc themselves are ridiculously fun/challenging. The player-created levels will take some serious sifting to find any gems, but they do exist.

DarkBridge on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So is there anything worthwhile about Playstation Home? I was messing around with it and was disappointed. I saw a pirate ship personal space and I thought, "Hey, that can't be too bad. Get a Captain's cabin to deck out and the deck of the ship. Hell, there is a mini game and some included furniture!"
    What a deal, right?
    No, it is shit. An empty pirate boat with no interior spaces. A single music source at the entrance (so no sound but a random pirate laugh when you walk near the center), a shitty mini game that barely functions correctly (the challenge is in controlling the piece of shit). God damn what a waste. Fuck playstation home. That is the last dime I spend on it.

I want to just idle online just to raise their electric bill so I feel like I got my money's worth. :(

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have never logged into Home. I don't know why anyone would bother...

hottoq on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hottoq wrote: »
    I have never logged into Home. I don't know why anyone would bother...

Curiosity. That's about it.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I logged into home once. It was just people salsa dancing and watching twilight trailers...

Never again.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need to say thank you to the people who posted what games to buy in this thread. Now i know. I already planned on the second Uncharted (I bought the first with the PS3 on Black Friday) and the Ratchet games but totally forgot about Valkyria and Resistance and Killzone and a few others. I now know what to buy. And i just checked Gamestops site and it appears Valkyria Chronicles is only 20 dollars now so sweet. Demons Souls and Valkyria here I come.

Also I got Little Big Planet: GOTY and GoWC with the PS3 with that bundle. So. Thats also sweet.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God of War Colelction looks so damn terrible. Why did they remaster that game? Why not Shadow of the Colossus?

I need to buy a damn PS1.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    God of War Colelction looks so damn terrible. Why did they remaster that game? Why not Shadow of the Colossus?

I need to buy a damn PS1.

I don't know what you are smoking, but the games look great. Cutscenes did not get the up-port treatment (they just get upscaled with some AA,) but the gameplay did. It looks great and runs as smooth as silk.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

That's not really surprising. I don't think you actually like any games. :P

It's pretty terrible design that you have to play through that dumb tutorial every time, even on a second playthrough.

Like, really dumb.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, what are the chances of Demon Souls going out of print? because I'm holding off hoping to get it on a deal and since I've already got a few other PS3 games, it's not like I need something to play with my new PS3. Any advice? Think it'll stick around for a while or will it get hard to find quick? (aka will I regret waiting for a deal?)

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it's a good chance that Atlus will keep it in print.

But if you miss out on any Atlus game due to waiting, pretty much your own fault.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KimFidler wrote: »

I've heard of some people getting this. I think turning off "Search for media server" or whatever is supposed to turn that off. (The DLNA)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Got Demons Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. Time to veg.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling