As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Allods Online

What is it?

Allods is a new MMORPG based off the world from the Rage of Mages games. Basically the world is split up into floating islands in the Astral Plane. There is some high fantasy and there is some scifi all put into a blender to create a pretty decent free MMO.

Is there anything Unique about it?

Well there is the promise of eventually building and crewing your own Astral Space Galleon with 5-25 of your friends. Then using it to have PVP battles with people from the other factionwho are in their own Ship of Astral Awesome.

Factions you say?
There are two:

The League are the goody goody's of this game. Made up of Kanians(Humans), Elves (They float because they have wings!) and the Gibberlings (you control three of them a once. They are small fuzzy and you shouldn't feed them after midnight). They are the nature side and fight more with heart or something stupid like that.

The Empire are the Evil Guys. Made up of The Xandaganians (Human, Think Soviet Russia), Orcs (You know what an orc is), and The Arisen (Techno-undead who love science and are awesome). They make the science for the Motherland!

What are Archtypes?
The Archtypes are the base classes. Each race has their own version of the class with a spell that sets them apart. Each Archtype also has it's own gimmick.

These are:
Archtype: Warrior
Role: Melee Fighter
Mechanic: Tactical Advantage - Builds up by some skills spent by others.

Archtype: Paladin
Role: Tank/OffHealer
Mechanic: There are two.

The first is the shields.

The Paladin has three sheilds though he only starts with one and gains them as he levels. The sheilds each take and hold damage for 10 seconds. So if there are three shields the first three hits the Paladin takes are delayed. The real power in this comes int hat there are special skills to divert or diminish the damage in these sheilds.

The second is a healing mechanic. Some skills build up a thing known as cannons which are then spent on the healing skills of the Paladin.

Archtype: Scout
Role: Melee/Range DPS
Mechanic: The Scout can enchant up to eight of their arrows in a quiver to give special effects.

Archtype: Healer
Role: Ranged DPS/Healing.
Mechanic: Some spells redues the casting times of other spells. Seems to be a frontline healing class. Like a Cleric from D&D.

Archtype: Warden
Role: Pet/Melee DPS
Mechanic: A pet class that does melee damage. Has some healing utility but mostly for self/pet. Does have a conjurable healing item they can give out also.

Archtype: Mage
Role: Ranged DPS (Pew Pew)
Mechanic: Entropy

Casting spells from one of the three elemental trees build entropy of the same tree. Over Five entropy and some random buff or debuff happens to you. You can spend entropy with some spells.

Arctype: Summoner
Role: Ranged DPS/Pet/Healer
Mechanic: A pet class but there is also a healing mechanic.

Blood drops are a lot like the Paladin's cannons. You build them with some skills and then spend them on healing skills. Seems to be shaping up to being the favored healer.

Archtype: Psionicist
Role: Ranged DPS/Control
Mechanic: You link your mind to the enemy and it adds abilities to some spells. Your basic battle field mezzer.

How Do I play?

Allods is currently in Closed Beta. Do not despair as keys are popping up all the time. check the thread for giveaways. mmorpg.com was having one but I decided not to link it because there are so few keys left. Try it anyway you might get lucky.

You can also go to the gpotato site and register to be added to the beta list here: http://allods.gpotato.com/

Who's Playing?

Put your character's names in the thread and I'll add you to this section.

Entaru - Entaru the Kanian Druid
Morvidus - Cadberri the Kanian Crusader and Morvidus the Arisen Mage
Kabuki64 - Dalton the Orc Reaver
Is there a PA Guild?

Not yet. We need to discuss logistics.

The majority of us seem to have gone League side.

Server: Tensess

How will they pay for it?

There is a Cash Shop. You can view it in beta and it does not look too game breaking.

What is Fatigue?
At level 5 and on you start to earn Fatigue. Fatigue is the blue bar that appears next to your purple experience bar. If you mouse over your experience bar it will also tell you how much of it you currently have and what your cap is.

For each thing you do you earn fatigue that is the same amount as the xp you have earned. That fatigue does not turn into experience unless you turn it in at an innkeeper for a few copper.

If you are not turning in Fatigue you are not getting half of your xp.

The problem with this this system is that there is also a cap. When you reach the capped amount of Fatigue then you no longer gain it. This means from that point on you are effectively going at half XP.

The silver lining in all this is that the Fatigue cap raises each level. And while the XP also goes up the cap seems to go up faster.

That being said I have yet to reach the cap and I've played in marathons of up to four hours. YMMV.

Want to see it in Action?

I'll take some screenshots soon and PM me with any you'd like to add.

Here's the Video Review from Massively to give you an idea of how it looks: This is my first OP. Go easy on me.

I plan to add screen shots, a better Faction/Race Section, a better description of the ships and anything anyone else can think of.
Right now a lot of the information for the game past levels 1-20 are all still in Russian as new information comes out I'll add it as well.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only played a healer to five, but they seem to be intended to be a bit frontline, dealing damage, then healing. The main mechanic seems to be that certain abilities and spells causes other spells to cast progressively faster, or be instant-cast.

Seems that despite feeling a bit like a warlock from WoW, Summoners are very definitely meant to be healers, or healer hybrids, which seems a little OP to me, but whatever.

KEYS
    Quoting my below message for visibility since this is the second post and it looks like people might miss it.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only played a healer to five, but they seem to be intended to be a bit frontline, dealing damage, then healing. The main mechanic seems to be that certain abilities and spells causes other spells to cast progressively faster, or be instant-cast.

Seems that despite feeling a bit like a warlock from WoW, Summoners are very definitely meant to be healers, or healer hybrids, which seems a little OP to me, but whatever.

Yeah, there's a lot of focus on just how well the summoner can heal. It's sort of odd to be a pet class healer.

Edit:I updated the Healer Archtype with your information.

Thanks.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's certainly unique amongst MMO classes in that regard. I think the idea is that they're balanced around the fact that without blood in their Blood Bank they can't heal at all, but looking through the spells mine has it doesn't seem like acquiring blood is that hard.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's certainly unique amongst MMO classes in that regard. I think the idea is that they're balanced around the fact that without blood in their Blood Bank they can't heal at all, but looking through the spells mine has it doesn't seem like acquiring blood is that hard.

The Paladin is the same way.

I guess if things are getting frantic in PVP then there might be a need for someone who can output healing without having as limited resource, ala the healer archtype.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Color me interested.

Any word on how they plan on paying for the game?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cash Shop~

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Color me interested.

Any word on how they plan on paying for the game?

There is a cash shop. You can view it in the beta and it didn't look to be too game breaking either.

It's also run by Gpotato and their cash shops from what I remember never ruined any of the games I played from them.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sounds good. I'd like to give this a shot. Hopefully I can snag a key somewhere.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sounds good. I'd like to give this a shot. Hopefully I can snag a key somewhere.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/124/Allods-Online-Closed-Beta-Giveaway-Phase-2.html

they have just shy over 500 keys right now. You'll need an mmorpg account to snag one.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game is probly the best freebie i've ever played, it just exudes quality. It looks like they actually put effort into a free game for once.

Also be nice to know who is playing where so we can join up? Which side are most people playing on?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Snagged one. I'll start the download when I get home.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Mage spells build entropy in the same element they cast, not different.
    You can spend the entropy to lower the cast time of a different elements spell.

Healers are more DD'ers.
    Summoners are more the healers.
    Psionist I didn't really like, it takes 6 seconds to cast the contact mind spell to use any of the good abilities.

Also I am a level 6? arisen mage named Morkath.

If we get enough people playing the fancy elf side I can switch.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OP needs screens/videos imo. It doesn't look bad thats for sure. Very wowish.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This game is probly the best freebie i've ever played, it just exudes quality. It looks like they actually put effort into a free game for once.

Also be nice to know who is playing where so we can join up? Which side are most people playing on?

I agree with the quality comment. The company has been making Allods games since 1997 or so. They care about the world and really wanted to show that. I think it shnes through.

I am ok with both sides. They both have interesting qualities to them.

I do lean towards the empire though because the NPC's on that side are a tad more interesting.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What I DO like about the Psionist is that after you break your first cast you get a 30s buff that makes it instant cast. The 6 second start is a pain and should be dropped down like woah, but at least grinding is possible with it.

Also, needs more auto-attack.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a League Gibberling Warden named Peaches.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So far my main is a League warrior (? i think thats it?) named Kanen

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OP needs more pictures of Gibberlings fucking your shit up.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I want to play! Please let me know if anyone gets a spare key. I may gift you $10 or so on the cash shop when the game goes live cuz I gets paid son.

Teth on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do none of the sites listed a few posts before have any keys left?

Glal on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    playing a Orc Paladin (Reaver) named guru, supposedly he looks like Rick Ross, but I'm not really seeing it

not sure about this game yet, seems like it could be cool, but right now something is missing in the combat, it's just not compelling.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The combat is a very weak link right now. Mob health needs to go down a bit and there should probably be an auto-attack.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    gurusloth wrote: »
    playing a Orc Paladin (Reaver) named guru, supposedly he looks like Rick Ross, but I'm not really seeing it

not sure about this game yet, seems like it could be cool, but right now something is missing in the combat, it's just not compelling.

There are two problems with combat as far as I can see. One is that the speed of combat has been slowed down by upping all of the mob HP levels. This is so that they can get better battle data and catch more bugs and it will be changed at release and probably even open beta.

The second problem is lack of auto-attack. I don't know if this will be changed as there are rumors both ways.

Edit: I'd also like to say that lack of auto-attack doesn't really bother me as much as it does some.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Do none of the sites listed a few posts before have any keys left?

I went to http://contest.mmosite.com/giveaway/allods/ and I'm pretty sure I just got a beta key. I won't be trying to redeem it till later but I'm very interested.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The combat is a very weak link right now. Mob health needs to go down a bit and there should probably be an auto-attack.
    In the second beta? I was under the impression their health was artificially scaled up to make the combat slower and easier to analyze (and, I assume, to stretch out those 10 levels), but that they'd change that in the second beta. I take it they haven't?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What I've heard is that it's better than it was, but as far as I'm concerned it's still comparatively slow next to, say, killing while leveling in WoW.

It could more acceptable at higher levels with more abilities, but there's simply not enough that you do at a low level to justify kill time.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Started playing a summoner today. Loving that class. Make combat a piece of cake having a little skeleton around.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Game is really frustrating to play, at least as a ranger or whatever the pew pew class is called. I can get maybe 1 shot off on a mob, then I'm just spamming 111111111 when they get close because there's no auto-attack. This was in the starting instance, though; I kind of gave up on the game after that. I might try again, but I think it's just not my deal. Too bad I can't give my key away.

Also, the gibberling ranger on the selection menu is fucking hideous. Frightening, even.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Holy shit, I am concerned about the kind of resources Russia has if their MMOs gets these speeds. I have not downloaded any thing this quickly since Champions' beta. What voodoo do these people possess?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I like the warden a lot. However I am missing not being able to really throw out much support type stuff so I might play with the Summoner and Paladin some more and see which of those two I like better.

Also starting a guild isn't too costly at only 95 silver. What side do we want to do that on? Or does everyone want to wait until open beta?

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Game is really frustrating to play, at least as a ranger or whatever the pew pew class is called. I can get maybe 1 shot off on a mob, then I'm just spamming 111111111 when they get close because there's no auto-attack. This was in the starting instance, though; I kind of gave up on the game after that. I might try again, but I think it's just not my deal. Too bad I can't give my key away.

Also, the gibberling ranger on the selection menu is fucking hideous. Frightening, even.

Don't use auto-attack as the Scout class (or whatever they're called), they get an ability very early (4?) that lets them shoot their bow in melee.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the hell is the point of using a bow if I have to shoot it in melee.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can also use it in melee.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's just a ranged ability with no minimum range, that's all. Basically a way to make sure that you don't lose your most powerful weapon just because the enemy walked up to you.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    im liking how warriors have a bow -and- sword/shield combo. Prevents people from kiting you as much when you have a bow skill that does pretty massive damage.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This seems to have rock solid art direction. I'm rather impressed.

Gameplay, on the other hand, is WoW. Only free. Which is neither good nor bad.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The art direction is like a bizzarre mix between Warhammer 40k and Warcraft.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'm getting a serious Necron feel from the Arisen.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok switched to Kanian Mage, same name. Since everyone else went goodygoody.

Morkath on