As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Got a PS3 -- Now What?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm just going to post this here since this is the closest thing to a ps3 general thread that I can see while drunk:

Canadians, PSN points cards have arrived. You can pick them up at a Shoppers Drug Mart and probably at games retailers.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    KimFidler wrote: »
    This is off-topic but I felt one of you guys would know.

For some reason I get loading lag and stuttering on my PS3 Slim when I'm connected to my network (not playing online multiplayer) but when I remove the network cable it works fine. Any suggestions?

I've heard of some people getting this. I think turning off "Search for media server" or whatever is supposed to turn that off. (The DLNA)

This is exactly what I did to fix it. Basically turned off the Media Server scan and the news ticker and now everything is running perfectly. Now I can sit down and enjoy Uncharted without any freezing or stuttering.

KimFidler on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My god is Demons Souls friggin sweet. I mean...its brutal. But sweet. I died 3 times trying to reach Phalanx and then killed him and stopped to check out Valkyria which is also really fucking sweet. Sadly I have work from 9 - 8:30 tomorrow SOOOOO no games at all for a while. Blah. But extremely great purchases. Also.

Valkyria for 20 dollars is such a fucking sweet deal that I dont even know man.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    My god is Demons Souls friggin sweet. I mean...its brutal. But sweet. I died 3 times trying to reach Phalanx and then killed him and stopped to check out Valkyria which is also really fucking sweet. Sadly I have work from 9 - 8:30 tomorrow SOOOOO no games at all for a while. Blah. But extremely great purchases. Also.

Valkyria for 20 dollars is such a fucking sweet deal that I dont even know man.

:^: I approve this message. :^:

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really should get Valkyria Chronicles sometime. Next time I go to Best Buy, I swear I'll get it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it's a good chance that Atlus will keep it in print.

But if you miss out on any Atlus game due to waiting, pretty much your own fault.

Of course if you do miss out on it you can always import it.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Resurrecting because I am now new to the PS3 market, thanks to JAEF from Secret Santaing.

First thing first, my audio crackles on Infamous, but there is no option to turn it down, as there was in Killzone 2, which had the same problem. I'm using my TV's speakers, so that could be a problem, but I don't have a receiver or anything yet.

Also, ADD ME ON PSN! My name is Icemopper.

Any ideas about the crackles?

Icemopper on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really need to pick up the new God of War double pack. I beat the first one back in the day, but never finished the second. My only complaint about the God of War series is that, for all intensive purposes, they are all the same game. This makes playing them back to back rather repetitive. It's been a few years, however, so I should be able to get back in GW2.

Mace1370 on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the word is that playing the first two GOW games and then the demo of the 3rd one thats included makes it all the more obvious how little has changed between them

im fine with that though, because theyre really damn fun games.

Ah_Pook on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    don't forget chains of olympus either, the PSP one. It is also exactly the same and that is a good thing dammit

freakish light on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Since we are talking about God of War here, maybe you guys can help me out.

I bought the GoW pack because of Amazon's $20 psn credit. (so the game was effectively $15) The thing is I own both GoW games already and I have a 60G ps3 (full backwards compat, about halfway through GoWII).

So here is the question should I keep GoW collection and restart GoWII for the better graphics/trophies and XMB. Or should I just give it to my Brother-in-law who has never played a GoW game as part of his X-mas gift. (The thing is I'm not sure how much he will like it. He isn't a huge gamer, but really likes FIFA, RB2 and GTAIV, he however didn't really get very far in Batman: Arkham when I lent it to him which is another brawler.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't give it away. He won't play it. If he didn't play Batman, he won't play God of War.

Renzo on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Question: Is the extra storage space on the 250gb PS3 worth $50 over the 160gb model? I keep most of my movies and media on my PC, so pretty much the only thing that's going to get installed is games, demos, and saves... will I fill it up fairly easily?

freakish light on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not really. Besides, you can always change it out yourself.

So guys, due to a Best Buy coupon I can now finagle Demon's Souls new for around 35-39 bucks. Now, I'm a pansy when it comes to video games...should I get it? I hear nothing but good things about how hard it is, and that scares me.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited December 2009
    It's not so much hard as it is challenging - which I choose to view as two different things. Yes, you should get it for 3 reasons:

1 - intensely satisfying.
    2 - it is, in general, awesome.
    3 - if you don't buy it for such a sweet price, this heinous choice will be listed amongst your sins as part of your posthumous life review.

Chance on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So guys, due to a Best Buy coupon I can now finagle Demon's Souls new for around 35-39 bucks. Now, I'm a pansy when it comes to video games...should I get it? I hear nothing but good things about how hard it is, and that scares me.

You will come to view each and every death as a learning experience.

You'll get plenty of chances to learn.

Basically, if you die (beyond the first time), it's your fault.

It is really hard. Not too hard, you'll never get to the point where you just give up. But hard. Once you finally succeed at at something, it is the best feeling. The first time you kill a boss you'll feel like a champion, and then the next level will humble the shit out of you :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • spiderj2spiderj2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You will come to view each and every death as a learning experience.

You'll get plenty of chances to learn.

Basically, if you die (beyond the first time), it's your fault.

It is really hard. Not too hard, you'll never get to the point where you just give up. But hard. Once you finally succeed at at something, it is the best feeling. The first time you kill a boss you'll feel like a champion, and then the next level will humble the shit out of you :P

This is exactly right. You feel like you learn when you die. Hell, this is a game where you can learn from other people dying.

I got a PS3 about a month ago and here's how highly I recommend Demon's Souls - I got Uncharted 2 at the same time and haven't completed it yet.

Demon's Souls is frankly superb and definitely not a game to be put off by the difficulty. I'd go so far as to say of all the games I've ever played it's the one where the challenge is the most integral part of the core experience.

spiderj2 on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    God of War Colelction looks so damn terrible. Why did they remaster that game? Why not Shadow of the Colossus?

I need to buy a damn PS1.

I don't know what you are smoking, but the games look great. Cutscenes did not get the up-port treatment (they just get upscaled with some AA,) but the gameplay did. It looks great and runs as smooth as silk.

Even the action looks like ass. It looks like the PS2 game but at a higher resolution. And by higher resolution, I mean they multiplied all the pixels. UGH! Also, the gameplay feels to archaic. The game itself didn't age well. The camera is locked on these rails and stuff. It worked well for when the game came out, but in the modern market... jesus. Awful.

Sorry, but this garbage is worth 20 bucks, maybe. Glad i got it for free, though. Only way someone would get me to possess this crap.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God of War Colelction looks so damn terrible. Why did they remaster that game? Why not Shadow of the Colossus?

I need to buy a damn PS1.

I don't know what you are smoking, but the games look great. Cutscenes did not get the up-port treatment (they just get upscaled with some AA,) but the gameplay did. It looks great and runs as smooth as silk.

Even the action looks like ass. It looks like the PS2 game but at a higher resolution. And by higher resolution, I mean they multiplied all the pixels. UGH! Also, the gameplay feels to archaic. The game itself didn't age well. The camera is locked on these rails and stuff. It worked well for when the game came out, but in the modern market... jesus. Awful.

Sorry, but this garbage is worth 20 bucks, maybe. Glad i got it for free, though. Only way someone would get me to possess this crap.

Shocking! An up-ported PS2 game looks like a PS2 game at a higher resolution! What will they think of next?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I'm a little surprised at that god of war collection rant, of course it's just an upscaled version of the PS2 games, what else did you expect?

Remastering != making a sequel.

If you want god of war with current gen graphics and gameplay then wait for the 3rd one next year. I used to think that anyone getting the collection is doing so for the right reasons and knowing exactly what they are going in for, unfortunately now I am not sure that everyone thinks that way.

'that way' being the logical way that uses your brain.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If you want a game that rather routinely makes you feel like a gorram rockstar, then get Demon's Souls.*

Note: It makes you feel like a gorram rockstar by first kicking your ass. Then, you learn from the way in which it kicked your ass, so you don't die that way. It proceeds to kick your ass in a different fashion. At some point, however, it all comes together and you totally beat the everloving crap out of a particularly challenging boss or enemy. At this point, you feel like a gorram rockstar.

Elvenshae on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even the action looks like ass. It looks like the PS2 game but at a higher resolution.

It... is? That's what it's been advertised as since it was announced. A PS2 game rendered at higher resolution with anti aliasing.
    And by higher resolution, I mean they multiplied all the pixels.

Adding more pixels is what makes it a higher resolution. Unless I'm not understanding your point?
    UGH! Also, the gameplay feels to archaic. The game itself didn't age well. The camera is locked on these rails and stuff. It worked well for when the game came out, but in the modern market... jesus. Awful.

It's still considered one of the best games of it's type. Do you not like the genre?

-Loki- on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I got a text from the nerd carlet repairing my PS3. So far it's not looking good. There is apparently some motherboard damage that they aren't quite sure they can repair yet. As to how the motherboard got damaged, I'm not sure. I never took the case off and don't kick it around or anything. I just hope it can be fixed, or repairs don't exceed the cost of simply buying a new one.

Pray for me. :(

Ranadiel on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elvenshae wrote: »

If you want a game that rather routinely makes you feel like a gorram rockstar, then get Demon's Souls.*

That rockstar is Kurt Cobain.

Spoiler edited for...uh...because I thought it was funny.

Lawndart on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Even the action looks like ass. It looks like the PS2 game but at a higher resolution.

It... is? That's what it's been advertised as since it was announced. A PS2 game rendered at higher resolution with anti aliasing.
    And by higher resolution, I mean they multiplied all the pixels.

Adding more pixels is what makes it a higher resolution. Unless I'm not understanding your point?
    UGH! Also, the gameplay feels to archaic. The game itself didn't age well. The camera is locked on these rails and stuff. It worked well for when the game came out, but in the modern market... jesus. Awful.

It's still considered one of the best games of it's type. Do you not like the genre?
    Unless the genre is shallow, poorly designed gloss masquerading as brawlers, I actually think he has a point there.
    God of War never had much going for it besides graphics, unless you were 13.

Xagarath on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Unless the genre is shallow, poorly designed gloss masquerading as brawlers, I actually think he has a point there.

I dunno, I find it pretty fun. I definitely found it more entertaining than Devil May Cry.

-Loki- on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Personally, while I prefer DMC1 over everything else in the genre, God of War 1 easily takes second place. Is the fighting system as good as DMC4's? No but luckily for GoW, that's not all you need to be a good game. The camera, the puzzles, the platforming, the setting and the way the story is delivered makes God of War far, far more interesting than everything else (bar DMC1) in the genre.

But hey, it has blood, gore and boobs so it's for 13 years old, m i rite? o_O

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No wait seriously.

You're saying god of war is better than god hand?

Blasphemy.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited December 2009

Personally, while I prefer DMC1 over everything else in the genre, God of War 1 easily takes second place. Is the fighting system as good as DMC4's? No but luckily for GoW, that's not all you need to be a good game. The camera, the puzzles, the platforming, the setting and the way the story is delivered makes God of War far, far more interesting than everything else (bar DMC1) in the genre.

But hey, it has blood, gore and boobs so it's for 13 years old, m i rite? o_O

Only 13 year olds are allowed to enjoy blood, gore and boobs. Didn't you know? Boobs are especially off limits for grown men.

-Loki- on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't understand all the love for Infamous. Sure it's good, but I found Prototype way more fun. Proper superpower dickery, running up buildings and piledriving people into tanks, etc.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    I don't understand all the love for Infamous. Sure it's good, but I found Prototype way more fun. Proper superpower dickery, running up buildings and piledriving people into tanks, etc.

Except it controlled like ass, the combat was pretty unsatisfying most of the time and it looked like an oXbox game.

edit - and the "story". Ugh.

-Loki- on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Prototype is fun for about 10 minutes of homicidal superdickery, then it gets dull. The plot is an incoherent mess, and there isn't as much variety in gameplay.

Lawndart on
    edited December 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

Prototype is fun for about 10 minutes of homicidal superdickery, then it gets dull. The plot is an incoherent mess, and there isn't as much variety in gameplay.

Yeah, basically. I got about 1/3 through the story and completely lost interest (about when you get your blade and armour). Most of my time was spent walking around the city being a dick. But that only lasts so long.

-Loki- on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Unsatisfying combat? I don't think there's any way we can have a rational discussion if you don't find throwing a guy at a helicopter fun, or leaping over a tower block while disguised as an old lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V129-5QK86o

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Unsatisfying combat? I don't think there's any way we can have a rational discussion if you don't find throwing a guy at a helicopter fun,

It was fun. The first time. Just like everything else. And after about... 20 minutes nothing becomes a threat, so there's nothing to really challenge you unless it's throwing 10 helicopters, 30 military and a few hunters at you, at which point the atrocious controls make that combat incredibly frustrating, and thus, unsatisfying.
    or leaping over a tower block while disguised as an old lady.

That's not combat. And again, that was fun - the first time you do it.

-Loki- on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I gotta' give the nod to inFamous as well - which surprises me, a little. I was in Prototype's camp for... well, years. When they came out I got inFamous, platinum'd it, set it aside and forgot about it for a few months.

Eventually I came back to it and realized - damn, this game is just flat-out fun to play. Running around and jumping and shooting all just feels so perfect - and it doesn't hurt that the mission designs are great.

Prototype has a lot going for it, but I loathed its missions. Overall - art direction, graphics, story, sound work, gameplay - I have to say inFamous is better. Prototype, of course, tackles stuff that no other current-gen game attempts in terms of its balls-to-the-walls action, but that general conceit was better-realized back on the PS2/oXbox with Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

That said, I own both and I'm fond of both - but I don't play Prototype nearly as much as inFamous.

Chance on
    edited December 2009
    I wish that Prototype let you retain all of the forms you "steal" and let you cycle through them, instead of having to seek them out again if you accidently overwrite them.

I remember one part early in the story where you have to break into a military facility, kill this specific officer and take his form in order to access the building. Well me being a super bad ass flew over to the facility, dropped in, snatched him up and then leapt back over the wall, leaving the bewildered guards going WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? After retreating to a safe distance I smashed his head in and absorbed his form, but ended up getting into a scrap before I went back and absorbed the form of a random guard. I found I couldn't become the officer again. Thinking I'd broken the game, I went back over to the military facility and found the guy I'd apparently beaten into a bloody pulp and absorbed into my being was back up again, walking around like nothing happened.

Boo.

Ranadiel on
    edited December 2009
    Well, that's Prototype for you. The gore and morphing are kind of cool for a while, but it's pretty obvious it wasn't a terribly well thought out game.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    This is true. Kind of why I grew disinterested in it. But that first half hour, oh man that was fun! Kinda reminded me of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - which was another fun, mindless game.

Ranadiel on
    edited December 2009
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    This is true. Kind of why I grew disinterested in it. But that first half hour, oh man that was fun! Kinda reminded me of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - which was another fun, mindless game.

Yeah, this was me pretty much. I'll occasionally play the game for an hour or so, but then I get bored and put it back the the shelf for a couple of weeks.

Where as when I bought inFamous for my fiancee's birthday I played it straight through to the end, without any other games interrupting.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png