As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    yeah it's crap. same on the ps3.

it also makes no fucking sense that your online profile can't be used for LAN games and that you have to grind that up separately. no sense at all.

http://muuuuuaaaaaahahahahaahaha.ytmnd.com/

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I just can't get behind the SCAR sometimes. Not enough bullets.

Though I do put a silencer on it and swapit with the TAR sometimes.

Sheep on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    [Hrm. The theory with the AT-4 is that I could still shoot down planes (easily) if I needed too. I wonder the damage difference between the thumper and the AT-4? But yeah, if the Thumper can be used in Last Stand than that sounds like a good fit for the #3 perk and the secondary weapon.

If you want to take out aircraft you want to have Stinger Missiles. If you want to do an explosive/douche build you want to be able to throw as much explosives and doucheyness at people on the ground as possible.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    [Hrm. The theory with the AT-4 is that I could still shoot down planes (easily) if I needed too. I wonder the damage difference between the thumper and the AT-4? But yeah, if the Thumper can be used in Last Stand than that sounds like a good fit for the #3 perk and the secondary weapon.

If you want to take out aircraft you want to have Stinger Missiles. If you want to do an explosive/douche build you want to be able to throw as much explosives and doucheyness at people on the ground as possible.

New word: Douchetube

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I ran the exact class for fun awhile ago, even with danger close the at4 will not one shot even a harrier. If you still want to take out planes the stinger with DC will one shot a pavelow, or the rpg/thumper are nice to still kill people.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I ran the exact class for fun awhile ago, even with danger close the at4 will not one shot even a harrier. If you still want to take out planes the stinger with DC will one shot a pavelow, or the rpg/thumper are nice to still kill people.

That's the problem, danger close doesn't up your damage, just it's radius. But Stopping power pro ups your vs Vehicle damage. When I run stopping power I usually roll with a AR / Shotgun combo, so no AA on me, and danger close is my Noobtube / AT4 combo, so no additional damage to vehicles. Which is kinda of lame.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    yeah it's crap. same on the ps3.

it also makes no fucking sense that your online profile can't be used for LAN games and that you have to grind that up separately. no sense at all.

yeah, what's up with this. nobody is going to spend 2+ days (48+ hours) to level up in offline

xta on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I just can't get behind the SCAR sometimes. Not enough bullets.

Though I do put a silencer on it and swapit with the TAR sometimes.

Extended mags are your friend. However to get them you must complete the FMJ challenge which is most certainly not your fucking friend. In fact I would go as far as to say that if anyone ever killed your family and ate your friends it would be them.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »

That's the problem, danger close doesn't up your damage, just it's radius. But Stopping power pro ups your vs Vehicle damage. When I run stopping power I usually roll with a AR / Shotgun combo, so no AA on me, and danger close is my Noobtube / AT4 combo, so no additional damage to vehicles. Which is kinda of lame.

Huh, any tests on this? All the information I have found says increased damage - the ingame description. Really hard for me to tell the difference because I either run danger close or stopping power pro, so either way I kill aircraft :P

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

Right, but in this case the AT-4 is dual purpose. It does both.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've seen people be EXTREMELY annoying with scavenger an m203 and thumper.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yo

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yo

Weren't you bitching about the guy "heero" with the thumper guarding B on skidrow the other night?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yo

Weren't you bitching about the guy "heero" with the thumper guarding B on skidrow the other night?

I was trying to snipe

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm sure I'm going to be laughed at mercilessly, but what exactly is the noobtoob? I've seen several things be referred to as that so I'm confused as to which item it is.

I will be hoping to join a PA group when I get home tonight. My other is working a 7pm-7am shift at the hospital, so I'll be on all night. I'd much rather work on a team that works together.

belligerent on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Noob tubing (underslung grenade launcher) to Danger Close Pro was so much fun. It's sad I'd rather stay home next week and play than go on vacation. Hello heroine addiction.

EDIT: PC or 360 belligerent?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm sure I'm going to be laughed at mercilessly, but what exactly is the noobtoob? I've seen several things be referred to as that so I'm confused as to which item it is.

I will be hoping to join a PA group when I get home tonight. My other is working a 7pm-7am shift at the hospital, so I'll be on all night. I'd much rather work on a team that works together.

Grenade launcher attachment for guns.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The noobtube is the grenade attachment for guns.

I too would like to get some PA games in. Not sure if I will be on, but if I am give me a holler, PBRob

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Right, but in this case the AT-4 is dual purpose. It does both.

It does a very poor job of taking out aircraft, though, aside from UAVs. It takes longer to lock on, doesn't track as well, and requires you to stay out in the open longer to finish off the aircraft with a second AT-4 or with your gun--and since you don't have Cold Blooded standing outdoors with a direct line of sight to the aircraft trying to kill you isn't a superb plan.
    the stinger with DC will one shot a pavelow

The Stinger will one shot a Pave Low even without DC or Stopping Power Pro. You just need the Pave Low to use up its flares first, which can happen either via your other Stinger shot or from anyone else's Stinger/AT4/Javelin shot at the Pave Low.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks. I definitely use the noobtoob, then.

Holiground on the 360. Why not holyground? because I couldn't remember the pw/credit card I used on my original xbox gamertag.

belligerent on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks. I definitely use the noobtoob, then.

Now look what you have done!

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're wanting to play with the 360 regulars, you need to be a little more aggressive than tossing your gamertag out there and hoping we take the time to type it into a message and invite you.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you're wanting to play with the 360 regulars, you need to be a little more aggressive than tossing your gamertag out there and hoping we take the time to type it into a message and invite you.

ROFL. Oh, I only threw it in there in case someone was curious. I already friended the clan tags here at work. I aim to be active.

belligerent on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

ROFL. Oh, I only threw it in there in case someone was curious. I already friended the clan tags here at work. I aim to be active.

I tend to host a lot or be in games with a lot of our regulars. Gamertag is WolfSlap.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    New to this thread and haven't read it completely yet, but I was just wanting everyone's thoughts on a few things that have been bugging me. Obviously the Stinger glitch has to go, but is there anything else that should be patched in the game?

Personally I'd like to remove nukes from any game mode that involves capturing spots (Domination, Headquarters, etc.) Those specific game modes don't encourage a high k/d ratio, but rather attacking/defending locations. So why the hell should one team lose the match right before winning because the other team has been sitting on a nuke for half the match?

Which brings me to my other comment, how come killstreak rewards continue a killstreak? My team and I got nuked in back to back games the other night by the same guy who used the AC-130 to wipe us out on Afghan.

I guess what I think sucks is how almost everything in the game has some form of balance or counter to it. Clearly pulling off a 25 kill streak is no easy feat, but hopping in a vehicle makes it far more manageable. Having to kill that many people in a row by yourself would make the reward fair in my eyes.

A couple of suggestions would be that when the nuke is activated, the player who used it should show up on the map, as long as it isn't be jammed by a counter-UAV. If the opposing team kills him before the timer expires, the nuke should be canceled. Or leave it the way it is and have the nuke kill the entire opposing team, destroy all their vehicles in play, and end all the killstreaks instead of ending the game.

Maybe I just haven't learned how to deal with the nuke and the tactics used to make deploying it easier. I'm sure this discussion has been thrown around here before, if so maybe some gameplay advice is in order. Anyways, see you online!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Moving to an HD Tv has thrown me off a bit. I'm sure after I adjust and stop being distracted by the bright colors it should improve my scores slightly, people being bigger and easier to see and all.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    Moving to an HD Tv has thrown me off a bit. I'm sure after I adjust and stop being distracted by the bright colors it should improve my scores slightly, people being bigger and easier to see and all.

I feel that often times a larger screen can be a detriment. Like, I usually play on a 32 inch HD screen, but if I move to my friends 50 inch HD it feels like there's too much space for my eyes to cover and I end up doing worse.

I suppose it's all about what you're used to and comfortable with, though.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Which brings me to my other comment, how come killstreak rewards continue a killstreak? My team and I got nuked in back to back games the other night by the same guy who used the AC-130 to wipe us out on Afghan.

Eh? The only time they would carry over is if you were in a game mode with multiple rounds. If a new map loads up then everyone starts from scratch.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    New to these fourms. I have been noticing more and more people playing with friends on opposite teams and allowing them to kill them to get the nuke. very annoying.

JMT_AOTP on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    New to this thread and haven't read it completely yet, but I was just wanting everyone's thoughts on a few things that have been bugging me. Obviously the Stinger glitch has to go, but is there anything else that should be patched in the game?

Personally I'd like to remove nukes from any game mode that involves capturing spots (Domination, Headquarters, etc.) Those specific game modes don't encourage a high k/d ratio, but rather attacking/defending locations. So why the hell should one team lose the match right before winning because the other team has been sitting on a nuke for half the match?

I guess what I think sucks is how almost everything in the game has some form of balance or counter to it. Clearly pulling off a 25 kill streak is no easy feat, but hopping in a vehicle makes it far more manageable. Having to kill that many people in a row by yourself would make the reward fair in my eyes.

A couple of suggestions would be that when the nuke is activated, the player who used it should show up on the map, as long as it isn't be jammed by a counter-UAV. If the opposing team kills him before the timer expires, the nuke should be canceled. Or leave it the way it is and have the nuke kill the entire opposing team, destroy all their vehicles in play, and end all the killstreaks instead of ending the game.

Maybe I just haven't learned how to deal with the nuke and the tactics used to make deploying it easier. I'm sure this discussion has been thrown around here before, if so maybe some gameplay advice is in order. Anyways, see you online!

Nukes are cancelled via EMP, assuming someone equips it, or gets one from a care package. This is why watching the scores is important. I don't know about PC but I've yet to see anyone get close to nuking me or my team, so it's never been a issue.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Stinger will one shot a Pave Low even without DC or Stopping Power Pro. You just need the Pave Low to use up its flares first, which can happen either via your other Stinger shot or from anyone else's Stinger/AT4/Javelin shot at the Pave Low.

I feel silly, I didn't even know the pave low had flares I just felt manly the first time it went down in one hit D:

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

RPG makes me happier than the thumper, because I can take out snipers with it from further away by just hitting in their general area. This could just be because I'm terrible with the thumper, though.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

RPG makes me happier than the thumper, because I can take out snipers with it from further away by just hitting in their general area. This could just be because I'm terrible with the thumper, though.

I only used the RPG for a little bit and got tired of the accuracy and how it seemed to fire really, really slow at any targets far away. The one perk to using it over the thumper is it seems to make people rage quit faster than any other weapon lol.

Somehow the patented knifing build just clicked for me recently, it seems to work best when I'm just sick of BS deaths and want to fuck around. It makes me feel dirtier than the noob tube build.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JMT_AOTP wrote: »
    New to these fourms. I have been noticing more and more people playing with friends on opposite teams and allowing them to kill them to get the nuke. very annoying.

Extremely annoying I agree.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i would be pretty pissed if i saw that happening

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    Nukes are cancelled via EMP, assuming someone equips it, or gets one from a care package. This is why watching the scores is important. I don't know about PC but I've yet to see anyone get close to nuking me or my team, so it's never been a issue.

Nah-uh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKK4BaTYQ4

Also I've been nuked at least 4 or 5 times and I'm at level 56 to give you an idea of how much i've been playing. (PC)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JMT_AOTP wrote: »

I saw a guy trying to do that once, so I stabbed him, his buddy and his buddy's tac respawn. He was up to ~20 kills by that point, so it must have been frustrating.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wasn't the EMP deal with nukes proved false? Also yea the nuke farming is pretty popular on xbl lately. The clown doing it in the ffa game I was in wasn't even masking it. His game winning kill the one game was him twice killing a stationary guy spawning from a tactical insert that he watched him drop the first time also not moving at all....

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Ok so I just finished the campaign, and I have a couple questions:
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.
    Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.
    That actually reminds me of another question I had regarding Price. So he was the guy that Makarov had a "mad on" for that we were supposed to be getting in order to lure him out or something. But nothing ever came of that. The story moved from needing some bait to knowing where his two safehouses were with practically no time in between.

I loved the intense action and the scripting on each level was flawlessly executed. But I feel like the s tory has a whole lot of holes in it, and it just wasn't a very satisfying experience as far as a cohesive plot is concerned. I mean, I still loved it just because of the action. But it could have been so much more if they would've reworked the ending and filled in some of the plot holes.
    I'm assuming Makarov wanted Price because he was involved with killing his mentor Zakhaev in MW1, although why he also doesn't seem to have such a hard-on for Soap too doesn't really make any sense. That plan all goes by the wayside anyway when Price takes 141 out on his own to do the bit with the nuclear sub.

Regarding the comments about the last Ranger mission, if you look around after you pop the flares and the jets fly over, there are green flares up all over the city. This fact coupled with the other Rangers' dialogue about burning down Moscow heavily implies that the Russian invasion has been mostly repulsed, at least from the DC area.

The story would be a lot easier to follow if it didn't rely so heavily on implying things instead of just stating them, and featuring a lot of story exposition during moments when the player is much more focused on shooting mans rather than reading subtitles or listening to dialogue hidden in the mix under gunfire and explosions.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Ok so I just finished the campaign, and I have a couple questions:
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.
    Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.
    That actually reminds me of another question I had regarding Price. So he was the guy that Makarov had a "mad on" for that we were supposed to be getting in order to lure him out or something. But nothing ever came of that. The story moved from needing some bait to knowing where his two safehouses were with practically no time in between.

I loved the intense action and the scripting on each level was flawlessly executed. But I feel like the s tory has a whole lot of holes in it, and it just wasn't a very satisfying experience as far as a cohesive plot is concerned. I mean, I still loved it just because of the action. But it could have been so much more if they would've reworked the ending and filled in some of the plot holes.
    I'm assuming Makarov wanted Price because he was involved with killing his mentor Zakhaev in MW1, although why he also doesn't seem to have such a hard-on for Soap too doesn't really make any sense. That plan all goes by the wayside anyway when Price takes 141 out on his own to do the bit with the nuclear sub.

Regarding the comments about the last Ranger mission, if you look around after you pop the flares and the jets fly over, there are green flares up all over the city. This fact coupled with the other Rangers' dialogue about burning down Moscow heavily implies that the Russian invasion has been mostly repulsed, at least from the DC area.

The story would be a lot easier to follow if it didn't rely so heavily on implying things instead of just stating them, and featuring a lot of story exposition during moments when the player is much more focused on shooting mans rather than reading subtitles or listening to dialogue hidden in the mix under gunfire and explosions.

Do we have to spoiler MW1? FFF
    Soap was the one that killed Zakhaev. Price merely shot his arm off with the BARRIT FIDDY COW.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png