As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed II - Speculations on AC3 abound

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I'm not against the DLC, but the transition from 11 to 14 is really jarring and does seem shoehorned into the game. It's the low point of the game's storytelling.

How so?

You are moving up the food chain,
    Killing templars and taking vengeance. You finally are brought into the fold of the Assassins. You get the apple from Borgia and he flees. You aren't able to stop him at that point.

Finally, years later, you get the codex pages together and discover with the Assassins help that all signs point to Rome, and guess who is Pope?

The span of time is there for that reason. Could you piece together the pages early? Ya, but the story telling is paced as it is and it works in the narrative.

Besides, time plays a role in how Ezio perceives his targets, hence why the ending plays out as it does.
    ...which would make sense if it took me all that time to get my hands on all the codex pages, but it didn't. I had them all collected and decoded before the time jump. And "moving up the food chain" doesn't change anything other than the amount of stubble on Ezio's face.

I think it would be a smoother transition if they said anything at all about what Ezio was doing for a decade. Even a sentence about "following leads" or stabbing every Templar he could find or something. Actually, what would be believable is if it took all that time to
    come up with a solid plan to get into the Vatican.

But as it stands I collected the codex pages, decoded them all, was initiated into the assassins, then spent eleven years playing with my dick. I'm not saying the transition makes absolutely no sense, just that it's awkward. Most of the transitions are. They're a sore spot in a narrative that is otherwise rather engaging, especially for an open-world game. Like GTA, it hits the nail on the head in terms of character, but the game design and storytelling end up clashing.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    41 more feathers to go! And they're all in Venice. I have the map, but God damn it's still going to take awhile to get them all.

What kind of stats does the cape have? I'm more or less just doing it for the scene and not the item itself, but I'm still curious.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Isn't that the badassery cape?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not against the DLC, but the transition from 11 to 14 is really jarring and does seem shoehorned into the game. It's the low point of the game's storytelling.

How so?

Killing templars and taking vengeance. You finally are brought into the fold of the Assassins. You get the apple from Borgia and he flees. You aren't able to stop him at that point.

Finally, years later, you get the codex pages together and discover with the Assassins help that all signs point to Rome, and guess who is Pope?

The span of time is there for that reason. Could you piece together the pages early? Ya, but the story telling is paced as it is and it works in the narrative.

Besides, time plays a role in how Ezio perceives his targets, hence why the ending plays out as it does.
    ...which would make sense if it took me all that time to get my hands on all the codex pages, but it didn't. I had them all collected and decoded before the time jump. And "moving up the food chain" doesn't change anything other than the amount of stubble on Ezio's face.

I think it would be a smoother transition if they said anything at all about what Ezio was doing for a decade. Even a sentence about "following leads" or stabbing every Templar he could find or something. Actually, what would be believable is if it took all that time to

But as it stands I collected the codex pages, decoded them all, was initiated into the assassins, then spent eleven years playing with my dick. I'm not saying the transition makes absolutely no sense, just that it's awkward. Most of the transitions are. They're a sore spot in a narrative that is otherwise rather engaging, especially for an open-world game. Like GTA, it hits the nail on the head in terms of character, but the game design and storytelling end up clashing.

Lets be clear here, its unlikely they outright cut the DLC from the core game to sell it later as it doesn't affect the story or your targets. BUT
    that 11 year jump which makes no sense and makes the game seem very stupid plot-wise exists only to let that DLC exist. THe only thing that changes between 1486 and 1499 is Ezio's goatee, thats it, theres no reason for that huge time jump but they want to include thos particular events and don't want it taking place post-game, facing criticisms for holding out the real ending to Ezio's story.

That jump just seems ridiculous altogether. Ezio had to have all the codex bar one because if he didn't by that time in the past you'd desync. I know this because you desync for being noticed by a nobody for 3 seconds. So he did apparently spend like 14 years just sitting around looking for the one room being guarded by 4 guys, unable to find the vault using any of the other 29 pages.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lets be clear here, its unlikely they outright cut the DLC from the core game to sell it later as it doesn't affect the story or your targets. BUT
    that 11 year jump which makes no sense and makes the game seem very stupid plot-wise exists only to let that DLC exist. THe only thing that changes between 1486 and 1499 is Ezio's goatee, thats it

Well, no.
    Something else changed. Something fairly huge that the game actually tells you outright. Can you guess?
    Rodrigo Borgia became Pope.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    that 11 year jump which makes no sense and makes the game seem very stupid plot-wise exists only to let that DLC exist. THe only thing that changes between 1486 and 1499 is Ezio's goatee, thats it

Well, no.
    Something else changed. Something fairly huge that the game actually tells you outright. Can you guess?
    Rodrigo Borgia became Pope.

I think this makes sense in one way- that he would be easier to find in that position. But then, why wait until 7 years into his papacy?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DarkWarrior,

thats the thing. They DIDN'T cut it from the core game. The core game is about
    vengence against a conspiracy, finding the apple, and taking out the pope

It is safe to say that the extra plots have little to do with that, outside of maybe the Pope running the show in the background.

Aside from the Pope, everyone connected to the death of your father is dead. Everyone that handled the apple outside of the Assassins and the Pope is dead. Everyone that might give Borgia influence in Floence or Venice is DEAD.
    How can the DLC matter to the actual main plot of the game? The only way is if it is tacked on or tangent to it.
    We know it doesn't relate to the core story. All we know is, stuff happend during that time. What happend? We don't know, but it appears that it may have prevented him from going after Borgia until he absolutely had to.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

How so?

that 11 year jump which makes no sense and makes the game seem very stupid plot-wise exists only to let that DLC exist. THe only thing that changes between 1486 and 1499 is Ezio's goatee, thats it, theres no reason for that huge time jump but they want to include thos particular events and don't want it taking place post-game, facing criticisms for holding out the real ending to Ezio's story.

That jump just seems ridiculous altogether. Ezio had to have all the codex bar one because if he didn't by that time in the past you'd desync. I know this because you desync for being noticed by a nobody for 3 seconds. So he did apparently spend like 14 years just sitting around looking for the one room being guarded by 4 guys, unable to find the vault using any of the other 29 pages.
    Whoever said Ezio found all the codex pages in the same time/contex that you did? In fact, it is strongly suggested (if not outright stated) that beyond the main mission line, nothing you do happens in the exact order that Ezio accually did it! unless you can explain how Ezio post-Pope brawl could have still been doing Assassination missions for Lorenzo de Medici when the guy has been dead for 7 years.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

How so?

Whoever said Ezio found all the codex pages in the same time/contex that you did? In fact, it is strongly suggested (if not outright stated) that beyond the main mission line, nothing you do happens in the exact order that Ezio accually did it! unless you can explain how Ezio post-Pope brawl could have still been doing Assassination missions for Lorenzo de Medici when the guy has been dead for 7 years.

Poor plot to design management. You're meant to be following Ezio's life and if you deviate from it you desync, he can't die because he didn't at that point, he cant go on the run from the guards because he was seen because he killed that guy all super stealthy like. Its something you have to overlook but it would have to happen in that order, awkard as it is, because plot-wise, you'd desync if it hadn't.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm 90% sure the AC2 manual says on side missions somthing to the effect of "These are events we know the ancestor experienced, but we don't know when"

Anyway, it seems that even though it is suppose to be genetic memory, it seems that it is presented more like normal memories, i.e. you know when big, important things happened, and you have some idea when and where other things occured, but you don't have an exact, perfect recall of when and in what order events happen.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Animus lets you handwave a lot of unimportant stuff, too. You can shank a couple of civilians, you can wander around in an inaccessible area for a few seconds. There's nothing especially vital to the experience of being Ezio in fixing down the dates on side missions.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TL;DR DarkWarrior refuses to suspend his disbelief for anything

Deal with it bitches 8-)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    God, people, you just invert the positronic matrix in the animus and run a level 2 diagnostic. Then you can avoid desync on all that stuff.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God, people, you just invert the positronic matrix in the animus and run a level 2 diagnostic. Then you can avoid desync on all that stuff.

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm kind of surprised how easily everyone's giving up on ninjas in AC3.

codex spoilers
    But seriously, the other tombs on the map are scattered all over the world

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really wish you could use ezio's starting attire for the entirety of the game...

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

It makes such perfect sense!
    Geordiovani, make it so!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wait, ezio's so much faster without armor, at the start. Wow.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised how easily everyone's giving up on ninjas in AC3.

codex spoilers
    But seriously, the other tombs on the map are scattered all over the world

its just been done before.... far too often

Barcardi on
  • Options
    NiceSurprisesNiceSurprises Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God, I wish I had time to get this game fired up. There's just not enough time in the day...but it didn't stop me from buying the flipping thing. What do you call that when you buy a game, don't open it, don't play it? Lame?

NiceSurprises on
    You never know WHEN a Christmas Quest will come:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFxuouZkK5U
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rented AC2 on Friday, been having a blast playing it.

This game is definitely leaps and bounds better than the first.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God, I wish I had time to get this game fired up. There's just not enough time in the day...but it didn't stop me from buying the flipping thing. What do you call that when you buy a game, don't open it, don't play it? Lame?

I did this with DMC4. I just started trying to incorporate it in with my playtime to get through it.
    I love DMC but this one just seems to get passed over.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hooray, I finally beat it tonight so now I can start clicking all these spoiler tags.

It looks like half of us are mad about DLC, then? Fascinating.

Real spoilers:
    I'm also giving up on ninjas for AC3. Frankly, there's very little reason to go back into the Animus. The threat is in the now and with the codex map the Assassins know exactly where to go. I doubt Desmond has memories in all of those places, so it's not like you can jump back and check out all the temples personally.

The only way to advance the now-plot is to have Desmond's crew jet-setting around the world, hitting all the marked locations on the map. The ruins down near Tasmania probably aren't large (size of Apenine), the ruins in the wilds of Russia are a little bigger (Forli), and main locations in New York, Cameroon, and Indonesia. That's a good mix of architectures to play around on.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Monthenor wrote: »
    Hooray, I finally beat it tonight so now I can start clicking all these spoiler tags.

Real spoilers:
    I'm also giving up on ninjas for AC3. Frankly, there's very little reason to go back into the Animus. The threat is in the now and with the codex map the Assassins know exactly where to go. I doubt Desmond has memories in all of those places, so it's not like you can jump back and check out all the temples personally.

The only way to advance the now-plot is to have Desmond's crew jet-setting around the world, hitting all the marked locations on the map. The ruins down near Tasmania probably aren't large (size of Apenine), the ruins in the wilds of Russia are a little bigger (Forli), and main locations in New York, Cameroon, and Indonesia. That's a good mix of architectures to play around on.

They could always do what was suggested earlier.
    Have you go to the places and instead of actually using the animus, just have the bleed over effect

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Monthenor wrote: »

Real spoilers:

They could always do what was suggested earlier.
    Have you go to the places and instead of actually using the animus, just have the bleed over effect

That would be my other choice, over revolutionary france anyway.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Desmond needs a better outfit though. I'd love to see the entire family tree too.

Zafina on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What, Desmond's outfit is awesome

End game spoilers, I guess, the Desmond stuff
    Killing dudes while wearing clothes from The Gap is awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zafina wrote: »
    Desmond needs a better outfit though. I'd love to see the entire family tree too.

I don't know why people want to see that. It would be pretty disjointed and strange if future games focused on several assassins and still kept the Desmond plot.

I mean hell people complained Altair didn't have a well defined character and he had a whole game. It would be even worse if they suddenly introduced a bunch of new people.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As far as my input on scenarios I wanted to see in AC3.
    I really wish I could see like an 1880s England style scenario where it turns out all of your targets are the people Jack the Ripper killed or something ridiculous like that. Really just that era. Maybe something steampunk like.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zafina wrote: »

I don't know why people want to see that. It would be pretty disjointed and strange if future games focused on several assassins and still kept the Desmond plot.

I mean hell people complained Altair didn't have a well defined character and he had a whole game. It would be even worse if they suddenly introduced a bunch of new people.

I understand that. But you have to admit it would be awesome to see a bunch of people in period costume with hidden blades, hoods and red sashes. I mean it could be done in a cutscene.

Zafina on
  • Options
    zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For AC3, I still want
    ancient Babylonia. Let's get some truly ancient cities in there. French Revolution would also be nice.....I really want something in England too. Mainly just want to climb Big Ben.

I hope modern segments can keep up with the ones from centuries ago. I can see some big final battle occuring in a cliche city like New York.

zellychan on
    "I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    zellychan wrote: »
    For AC3, I still want
    ancient Babylonia. Let's get some truly ancient cities in there. French Revolution would also be nice.....I really want something in England too. Mainly just want to climb Big Ben.

I hope modern segments can keep up with the ones from centuries ago. I can see some big final battle occuring in a cliche city like New York.

That's what my bet would be too.
    I would wager that you would swap between Desmond and another dude who is ages old who hid the pieces to begin with. Possibly on the fly.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Assassin's Creed 3 will be called Creed's Creed and you will play as Scott Stapp with dual spring loaded hidden microphones.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In regards to future AC games (damn why can't my vacation come quicker so I can play you!) I would suggest the following urban loactions for great potential games without even having to delve into the whole future setting that desmond/david blaine is living in...

London 1666: Largest city in Europe and being rebuilt with all sort of new buildings, streets following the great fire of London and the plague...The timings would fit AC1 - 1100AD - AC2 - 1450AD - AC3 1666?

New York 1790: The American Revolution is over, New York is under the control of the new American Government, things are in chaos and there are still Anglo-American tensions (assassination targets much?)

Stereotypical Japanese city of the 19th century: My own knowledge of these types of cities is limited but still it would be a great place to go see. Ninja vs. Assassin

Calcutta 1900: The largest city of the British Empire, a melting pot of cultures and home to millions of people. A personal choice but also a interesting place to look at (think of a setting alot like the new Sherlock Holmes movie - moustaches ftw)

The possiblities are endless before they even bother looking into the future. Some other ideas also:

Paris - French Revolution
    Berlin - WW2
    Rio De Janero - whenever
    Aztec/Incan city of choice?

The limiting factor creatively is depicting the city, no need to jump into the future too quickly boys and girls...

Spindizzy on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are you saying you didn't get 60 bucks worth of gaming?
    No, what I expected to pay for was the game they had done at that time. Any DLC should be entirely new content, not content held back. DLC, to me, is meant to encourage a company to continue to support a product. Not to cut a product apart to squeeze more money.

For instance, anything unlockable but already on the DVD? I never purchase those. Any DLC that comes out within a month of the game being out? I never purchase those.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    No, what I expected to pay for was the game they had done at that time. Any DLC should be entirely new content, not content held back. DLC, to me, is meant to encourage a company to continue to support a product. Not to cut a product apart to squeeze more money.

For instance, anything unlockable but already on the DVD? I never purchase those. Any DLC that comes out within a month of the game being out? I never purchase those.

Is it actually confirmed the content was already created before launch? If not, i'm all fine for buying it. The jump in time was a story choice, and adding this is a nice bonus. I wont lie, i'd rather it was free of course. But this really doesn't rank very high in the DLC dickery for me.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »

Is it actually confirmed the content was already created before launch? If not, i'm all fine for buying it. The jump in time was a story choice, and adding this is a nice bonus. I wont lie, i'd rather it was free of course. But this really doesn't rank very high in the DLC dickery for me.

Neither. Considering I got over 30 hours in this game the whining just rings hollow to me.

Now play Prince of Persia (the recent one) and THEN you'll understand what being dicked over feels like. Not only was that game short, it had a terrible ending and they had to literally make a proper one with DLC (which wasn't that good anyway). That's a good example of a game chopping out what should have been required content as DLC.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    zellychan wrote: »
    For AC3, I still want

That's what my bet would be too.
    I would wager that you would swap between Desmond and another dude who is ages old who hid the pieces to begin with. Possibly on the fly.

I was musing yesterday that
    You'd bounce around to different times. Desmond's time would be the main world. and you dive into the past for information and/or skills to use in the present.
    Consequently, you could go to places like ancient Babylon since you'd need only one city and not several. Honestly, how could they build a set of cities as interesting as Renaissance Italy unless the buildings are still there? There is a serious risk of regression of the series.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think alot of the European cities are ripe for making into games. Especially London, Alot of the big important buildings are there still along with the biggest amount of records available for any city in the world relating to that period of time. Lots and lots of historians are working on London and not everything has been used up yet by a long shot.

If any game would be perfectly designed to tap into my PhD (and get me job) an AC3 set in London would be perfect.

Is there a role for historians as consultants on games (alot like concept artists but giving accuracy and flavour to the games settings through words)?

Spindizzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spindizzy wrote: »
    I think alot of the European cities are ripe for making into games. Especially London, Alot of the big important buildings are there still along with the biggest amount of records available for any city in the world relating to that period of time. Lots and lots of historians are working on London and not everything has been used up yet by a long shot.

If any game would be perfectly designed to tap into my PhD (and get me job) an AC3 set in London would be perfect.

Is there a role for historians as consultants on games (alot like concept artists but giving accuracy and flavour to the games settings through words)?

London would be a great setting. Set it during a time with the plague pours through for one sequence!!!

It'd be like Baroque cycle Parkour! HAHA!

And do multiple times with it and throw in some Jeckle and Hyde era stuff!!!

Nothing beats this setting suggested by Joystiq Podcast:

Revolutionary Russia. Mmmmm...

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.