As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen Earth] Now free-to-play, if you can actually log in.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Regarding Free-to-Play
Fallen Earth was gobbled up by GamersFirst, and will be moving to a tiered model on October 12th. If you're an older player, you must first merge your FE account with your GamersFirst account. The game will have one free tier and three subscription tiers above.
F2PMatrix.png

Players who subbed prior to October 10th will spend the remainder of that subscription as a Commander rank. Lucky you!

The Chip limit is 10 Reds, but spending ANY money on the game at any point will remove it. Furthermore, players who subbed prior to the transition will have the option to get the Commander option for just $19.99. Not bad. This includes having bought the game retail. In a odd move, they're also not removing trade and AH options from free players. Returning players will be pleased to know that they'll retain all their previous character slots.

To give you an idea of how good the four paid ranks are: the most basic one gives you the pre-Free2Play experience for just $9.99. So if you are a regular player, then the sub is basically going down five bucks!

Command players get an aura that seems to give a +5% bonus to several gain rates. The cap probably means how many players can enjoy your aura at once.

fallenearth_logo.jpg

What is Fallen Earth?

Fallen Earth is a MMORPG set in a post-apocalyptic Earth around the Grand Canyon in the year 2156. The Shiva virus and resulting nuclear wars have left humanity on its knees, with optimistic reports stating about 1% of the human population still alive.

You are clone, a human being created for various experimental purposes. Well, you were anyways. Now you're on your own to eke out a living in the world. The good news is that you are a part of LifeNet's cloning system which allows a fresh copy of yourself to be made whenever you shuffle off the mortal coil. You are immortal.

The bad news is that you are immortal in a world where most people would rather be dead. There is no law and order, the Shiva virus has mutated much of the wildlife into horrifying beasts and most people have no qualms about killing you for whatever scraps of cloth or food are on your person.

Welcome to the Apocalypse.

A MMOFPS?

What sets Fallen Earth (FE) from the competition is its blending of RPG statistics with shooter gameplay. You don't target your enemies: you have to hit them to deal damage. If you use an ability to charge your melee swing only to whiff your attack, the ability is wasted. Whether going in pistols akimbo or sword unsheathed, FE demands a bit more than pressing the fireball button until the monster dies.

Be Crafty

The game has a very strong crafting element. You can indulge yourself in ANY of the tradeskills at any time, but due to the cost and time, it's more likely you will go with 2-4. But expect the best loot to come from your own bare hands.

Wanna make your guns ammo? Go ahead.

Would you rather focus on crafting armor? Do it.

Are you a junkie? Play "doctor" and make drugs to provide short-or-long term health boosts or provide medication for those annoying mutant scorpion stings.

And what good is life without food? Be a cook and whip up meals that provide long-term buffs.

What? You want more? Craft acid grenades. Spend a week building an ATV with frickin' guns attached. What else do you want? A fucking pony?

FINE. You can train goddamn horses too.

And it's all from the world. Vendor trash? What the fuck is that? Tear shit from ants and cook it or use it to make glue for your new gun. Scavenge metal from old pre-Fall cars. If you like to craft, this game is for you.

And yes, you get experience from harvesting materials AND crafting. And your character will keep crafting shit when you log out.

We have no class

The game has no classes. Yeah, it's true. Every so often you get Advancement Points (AP), which you can spend on stats or skills.

Skills are the real guts of your character. Do you want to be rifleman? Go for it. Rather be a leader with various buffs and debuffs at your disposal? I think you know where I'm going with this. Be a doctor or an armored psychopath with sledgehammers. Or both: the game spits out enough AP for about 4 skills.

Stats are a more macro thing. They determine the cap for the aforementioned skills and provide other boosts as well. Intelligence and Perception are responsible for your tradeskill caps, for example. Add it up and you have a really large number of options to shape your character(s).

Be a rifleman with a taste for swordplay, or a traveling merchant that offer healing services for anyone willing to drag you to some god-forsaken vale of resources.

Fun with Factions

After you hit Sector 2, the game opens up the faction play. The game has six factions that you can play with:
The Lightbearers: The goody goodies of the game, these dudes want to restore humanity back to where it was. This is mainly done through good works such as offering medicine and such to survivors.

This puts them at odds with the CHOTA, who don't want society to make a comeback and the Techs whose technology worship unsettles the Lightbearers. Their archenemy are the Travelers, as the altruistic nature of the Lightbearers is diametrically opposed to their selfish, money-driven ways.

On the other hand, the Enforcers respect their desire to restore order and the Vistas value their appreciation for life.

The Enforcers: Mostly ex-military and lawmen, but the group is formed of anyone who understands the need for law and order. Oh yeah, they love order and will go to any length to maintain it. They like guns.

The Vista are disliked by the Enforcers due to their dislike of technology, and the Travelers dislike any lawmen trying to push regulation into their business. They loathe the CHOTA, however, above all others. Worship of anarchy is not to be tolerated.

The Lightbearers are on good terms with them, seeing a mutual goal in restoring civilization, and the Techs offer exciting new ways to blow up lawbreakers.

The Techs: Science boys of the apocalypse, they deal with restoring lost technologies and installing new ones. They see science as the best way to save humanity from extinction.

As such, they look down on the Lightbearers, who are too spiritual in their work. CHOTA hate anything that would restore order to the world, and they see technology as such a thing. But it's the Vista and their pesky nature worship that really tick off the Techs.

The Techs like the Enforcers and their love of finding bigger guns to shoot, and have found a profitable relationship with the Travelers.

The Travelers: Money is what keep humanity together. The Travelers love to do business and have many goods and services available, if the price is right. It's not love that makes the world go round: it's cash.

The Enforcers see the Travelers as a source of crime, and thus have little love for them. Likewise, the Vistas see the Travelers as putting personal wealth above environmental concerns. But it is the Lightbearers whom truly despise the Travelers and their greedy, self-centered philosophies.

The Techs care little where their resources come from, so long as it works and the CHOTA also engage in light trading with the Travelers.

The Children of the Apocalypse: Commonly known as CHOTA, they are less a faction and more a loose collection of tribes. They see civilization as a failure and seek to keep things the way they are. They specialize in melee weaponry, disliking technology.

CHOTA have a known hate of technology, which causes them to butt heads with the Techs. The Lightbearers are disgusted by the CHOTA's destructive and chaotic nature. The Enforcers are the antithesis of the CHOTA's beliefs and the two will kill each other on sight.

The CHOTA do have large numbers and frequently offer protection to the Travelers and Vistas, former a fragile alliance with the two.

The Vistas: A group that existed before the Fall, the Vistas are dedicated to the protection of the Earth. While the planet lies in ruins, the Vistas make note of the changes to the natural world and protects it from its enemies.

The Travelers are dislike for their careless treatment of the planet in the name of profit, and the Enforcers are simply disliked because they deal with the Techs. Technology is inferior to the natural ways, which makes the Techs the primary enemy of the Vistas.

On the other hand, the Lightbearers are a common ally against technology are bringing about a natural way to bring back society. The CHOTA may be brutes, but they share a common hate for technology.
Each faction has unique knowledge and skills to share with you should you ally with them. However, allying with one faction will cause a major drop with that faction's archenemy and a smaller drop with two enemy factions. On the other hand, each faction has two ally factions that will increase alongside your main faction.

While you can opt to stay neutral to increase the number of people to interact with, you will have a more shallow game to play. Likewise, faction losses are done in such a way that you will be unable to ever be friends with everybody. Trying to play every angle will eventually lead to most factions disliking you.

You CAN, however, slowly work the faction "circle" to learn everything. Start with, say, Techs. Then move to Travelers and that will repair your CHOTA reputation. This is not a fast process, but the factions are never a permanent thing if you don't want it to be.

Factions have no effect on player interaction. You can be in a clan with archenemy players and even group with them. So far, this only affects how faction NPCs react to you. Well, okay, you get less Death Toll in PvP when killing friendly faction players, but that is it.

Tips

THE BEST SITE: http://www.globaltechatlas.info/

It has a shitton of maps, character builder, newbie guides and just chock full of information. It is a trip you will not regret.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can help with the clan making fee. I think everyone playing just needs to get in touch, post your in-game character names in this thread.

Mine is Sonork.

Sonork on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Damnit, need to find a good place around South Burb to scavenge tech shit. There's that junkyard in South Burb itself, but unsurprisingly it's farmed to shit.

I need scrap plastic for my safety goggles so I can do science!

Echo on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I have some scrap plastic. Give me your name and I'll mail it off.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Nyx Argent, producer of meat tenderizers extraordinaire.

Echo on
  • VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My in-game name is Ok Computer, but I'll be kinda busy studying for finals. I'll be stuck at level four for a while.

Videotape on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dermond Reigns, though my play time is kinda spotty

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Any kind of trial?

If not, welp. I've learned not to drop 50 bucks on an MMO that has no trial. Been burned too many times.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited December 2009
    Escapist might have some left. That's where I got mine.

Echo on
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Escapist might have some left. That's where I got mine.

Thanks for the link, they do still have keys. Downloading the trial now.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited December 2009
    Patching up the client now...this is gonna take a while. Guess I'll go play some Borderlands while this does it's thing.

GnomeTank on
  • GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm Juan in-game, feel free to add me to friends. Currently in a clan of my own, people are welcome to join; named Highly Refined Banditos.

Will help out with the numbers if the PA clan needs them though.

GhostManOnThird on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I play Lana Jones. Working towards a rifle wielding crafter type of build.

Yoshua on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well this was a lot better than the last time I played a few nights ago. Unfortunately for MMOFPS', just a bit too much lag can be a lot more detrimental to gameplay than in a typical MMO.

I was a lot more impressed this time, probably because I was actually able to make it out of the Hoover Dam and to a real town.

I'm getting major pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies vibes here, and that can only be a good thing. :mrgreen:

Also, for everyone updating their game:
    I posted this in the last thread, nobody really noticed it I guess.

Download this 4Gb Open Beta client from this site: http://games.on.net/file/29058/Fallen_Earth_-_Open_Beta_Client

It will download that much faster than the games builtin updater could (400KB/sec), when you run that it will update to retail as if you were in beta before, and there's only an additional 330MB to download with the patcher itself. It's a lot faster than letting the patcher do the whole thing. Took about 6 hours total for me.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Some shit takes really long to craft. I mean, 8m for a Weak Antiseptic?

I did train my improved riding horse and will now do some housework while I wait for my Medical crafting to finish. I adore that aspect of crafting.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Hmm you can't have different keybinds for different characters... that really really sucks. Q and E are 2 prime hotkeys for my melee guy but i need those to steer the horse while shooting on my ranged character... but no... only one set of keybinds for you. ><

Sonork on
    edited December 2009
    I'm still under the delusion that my roommates will get into this game, and thus have tried to rein in my leveling speed. Give it another week.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    I need to do Junk Fortress at some point tomorrow. Add Azou to your friend list and hit me up if you're interested.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I rolled up Erasmus Corbin last night and hope to start playing this evening when I get home from work.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait wait wait, there is a new classless MMO and nobody told me? How close is this to Asheron's Call leveling and character development-wise?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have somehow never heard of this? I'm downloading the fuck out of the free trial, I'll try playing when finals are over on wednesday.

Carnarvon on
    edited December 2009
    Wait wait wait, there is a new classless MMO and nobody told me? How close is this to Asheron's Call leveling and character development-wise?

Pretty close I think, but I was never a big AC'r. I do know however that it's very similar to old school Star Wars Galaxies, which borrows heavily from UO...which I think AC based a lot of its stuff on. So that's a roundabout yes.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would like to say ditto to "how the fuck have I not heard about this before".

mmofps? classless? post-apoc? large crafting component? I need new pants?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How does one go about crafting a horse? In the "living animal from mats" sense.

BlueDestiny on
    edited December 2009
    How does one go about crafting a horse? In the "living animal from mats" sense.
    The horse itself is bought from a breeder (NPC). You craft the bridle and horsefeed is also required, which I assume is used for training.

So no, you do not get to be Dr. Frankenstein and glue itself from spare parts.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Since we vary greatly in play times we should probobly just join Juan's already formed guild. Not sure if we can get one off the ground any other way.

Sonork on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    you know, 1% of the earth's population is still a shit-ton of people

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited December 2009
    The lore states that is an optimistic figure and assumes there are other places with humans besides the game world.

And the world population at the the Fall could be higher or lower.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    I would like to say ditto to "how the fuck have I not heard about this before".

mmofps? classless? post-apoc? large crafting component? I need new pants?

Let me craft those pants for you! I need the skill points!

Echo on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did they ever add in meaningful faction vs faction PVP? I was one of the first beta testers, and for as long as the beta held my interest, that was always on the "to do" list.

I would be on this so fast if they had added that in. The game has pretty much everything else, it just needs a competition element.

Besides, I want to prove the superiority of the Techies over the rest of you god-loving savages living in the Wastelands.

Archonex on
    edited December 2009
    They plan on having Sheriffs and Outlaws as factions for PvP, but we have few
    details.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Anyone know how long the trial lasts? I got it setup Saturday, but I haven't had any time to play. I am going to try and play more when I get home.

GnomeTank on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I started up the trial patching before I went to work, will be giving this a spin when I get home tonight.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone playing this on really low specs? I'm wondering if my netbook would be able to run it at all on lowest settings(Ion in it, can get up to 3 gigs of ram, but stuck at a 1.6ghz proc). I realize the proc is below minimum, but if it runs at all, I could set crafting, and do light gathering on it :P

(I just really, really don't want to re-download the damn thing just to find out there's no chance of it running at all)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited December 2009
    I'm still under level 4 but so far in love with this game. This is the kind of stuff I wasted more hours on than WoW or Warhammer combined in Star Wars Galaxies. Everything in this game flies in the face of current MMO-design principles, it's considered old and archaic. I love it.

I think the only thing that's going to bug me is the lack of harvesters.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the trial lasts? I got it setup Saturday, but I haven't had any time to play. I am going to try and play more when I get home.

The trial is two weeks. You should be good.

I wish more trials were like ATiTD, based on the actual time you played not real time.

Yoshua on
  • GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sonork wrote: »
    Since we vary greatly in play times we should probobly just join Juan's already formed guild. Not sure if we can get one off the ground any other way.

Yeah this would be good to fill out our clan a bit too. There's about 7 of us; RL friends. Mostly in the UK, one is in Canada. I'm the only one who goes to Penny Arcade, so I think they're pretty set in staying in this clan instead of joining a PA one.

So hit me up with a message/mail, and I'll add you to friends, or just ask any Highly Refined Banditos you may see wandering about and ask for an invite.

Names in our clan you may want to add to friends, anyone can invite:
    Juan
    San Miguel
    Notallama
    Etora Blackeyes
    Haak
    Roscowicz

Our clan name is what we usually use. Highly Refined Pirates was for WoW, so we kinda changed it for FE to be more suitable.

Also: The fucking GMs/Devs in this game are awesome. Etora made a little 'Where the Hell is Matt?' (the dancing guy who dances around the world) parody on FE - dancing around each town in Sector 1. Devs caught up on this and liked the idea, and helped us out making the second video. Got about 20+ devs and GMs, doing a synchronised Thriller.

GhostManOnThird on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So is this game officially out? The website doesn't say anything about beta anymore, just "buy me now". I would like to get this shit.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    It has been out since September.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So is this game officially out? The website doesn't say anything about beta anymore, just "buy me now". I would like to get this shit.

Just be careful. The game is ugly and REALLY hard to get into.

I tried my best but CoH is so much better in every regard I just ended up giving up on it.

urahonky on
    edited December 2009
    Considering how CoH has a completely different gameplay dynamic, crafting system (or lack thereof), setting, map size, instance usage, combat, and character system then uh...okay?

I think you're confusing the term "better" with "different".

And this game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in which only 1% of the earth's population remains. I'd imagine it would be a little ugly and "hard to get into" at times.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg