As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just One More Turn....

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
We've all been there at least once in our lives, Thursday at 4am in the morning and you're tired, groggy, with messy hair and a table sprawled with empty mountain dew cans. Your brain logically tells you that you need sleep to maintain functional awareness for the day, your body tells you that you're sore and overworked, you eye lids feel like heavy stone tablets that you can't seem to keep up. But through it all you manage to work up what's left of your willpower to see your game through, always convincing yourself that once the most immediate task is complete that you will hit the bed always using an excuse that follows along the lines of:

-Just five more minutes
-Just one more turn
-Right after I level up
-After I turn in my quest
-After I kill the this

I've had a few late gaming nights before, nothing too severe but this one occasion I think I've sunk to my gaming low. My most humiliating moment of gaming happened last week on a Saturday, with most of my residence mates having gone home or are in a "chill out" mode the weekend was mostly going to be a boring and laid back one.

With nothing in need of immediate attention I decided to purchase the recently available game on steam "Vampires the Masquerade: Bloodlines", a pretty good game that has an engrossing atmosphere and storyline. So I start playing soon after dinner at around 8pm and all through the night. Now I admit that I am terrible with self control when I get new games to play but even this scenario was the furthest I've ever sunk to. All through the early morning I told myself "Oh one more quest" or "Right after I turn this in", which was a pretty terrible system because everytime I finished one quest I wagered the next one wouldn't take much of my time, rinse and repeat. However, at around 5am or so, every part of my body, soul and mind was aching for sleep. So stuck in a quest I know would be extremely long and enduring, and having used almost every logical excuse I could think of, I told myself "Oh no problem, I don't need any sleep... I'm a Vampire!"

It took me a minute to process what I just thought, after I did and I realized how completely engrossed I was in the game, I saved, quit and went straight to bed.

Well, that's the worst I've ever been in. Are there any experiences or stories other players would like to share where they had their hobby take the better of them?

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's really hard for me to "overgame" because I get some terrible headaches if I go too long, but once in a while I play through the pain.

On the Wii launch day, actually. I had stayed out the night earlier with my friends before going home at about 5am. I them got my stuff ready and went to Target to wait in line for the system. After a few hours, I got it, and then went home and set it all up. I played Twilight Princess for about 4 hours on NO SLEEP (about 50 hours). I eventually saved after the forest temple and just completely crashed for the rest of the day.

The funny part is that when I woke up I barely remembered playing. The brain wasn't registering what I had played, but I think I kind of have mechanism in my head, similar to the adrenal gland, that emits some sort of chemical that keeps my going for Zelda.

Graviija on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bedtime. One more round.
    I just need to beat this guy.
    Sunrise. One more round.

Recoil42 on
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The best one I've found is telling myself I'll play till the next save point. Then turning the corner and seeing a save crystal (taking FFXII as an example), before saying to myself, bah! that doesn't count.

4 hours later and I still couldn't find Nalbina.

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Puzzle Quest is doing this to me. I went into work at 8:30 am and played Puzzle Quest until I left at 6:00pm. I took a brake for lunch and a few walk-ins but even when I was on the phone I was playing. I am rarely like this but, every so often, I am gripped. I played CoH for 13hours the day it launched.

Accualt on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "Just one more turn..." harkens back to my Pokemon days. I'd be in the middle of an important battle, and it'd be time for dinner or whatever, and I'd try to keep playing hoping each move would be my last. Since you can't save in the middle of a battle, this got me in trouble a lot.

Of course the advent of sleep mode has solved this.

Jimothy on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this immediately made me think back to myth and myth 2 on bungie.net i think i was in junior high around then..and often me and my friends would end up playing online till 5 or 6 in the morning..catching an hour or less of sleep then napping through all our classes that day. ...i miss bungie.net so much =(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god. Alpha Centauri!

Fuck sleep, only a few more turns until Zackarov can drop the planet busters on that bible-thumping Miriam bitch.

Plutonium on
  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I did this with Silent Storm a lot, just one more turn indeed.

It also happens to me a bit in strategy games, getting caught up with building up a base or something before quitting.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's like it a lot in Phoenix Wright.
    "Just one more objection...WHAT? Oh shit, I gotta see how the rest of this is gonna go. *20 minutes later*
    ...New case. Well...maybe just to the court room*repeat process until game is beat'd*"

Gorilla Salad on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Must get 100% on Trogdor...

Scrumtrulescent on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Oh god. Alpha Centauri!

Fuck sleep, only a few more turns until Zackarov can drop the planet busters on that bible-thumping Miriam bitch.

Fucker beat me to it. Nothing, from Galactic Civilizations 2 to Civ 4, has managed to reduce me to the same gibbering pile of overworked muscle and sinew that this game did the morning before finals. I don't regret it.
    Yeah, I totally regret it.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One time I pulled an all nighter camping his spawn in lower gulch on Everquest back about 7 years ago. Was some item for my epic weapon. That's probably the worst thing I've done gaming wise.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I played Twilight Princess for about 4 hours on NO SLEEP (about 50 hours). I eventually saved after the forest temple and just completely crashed for the rest of the day.

Nice. I have put stayed up really late countless times because of that game myself.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    one more sec

"no more sex"

Deusfaux on
  • RainZRainZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mmmm! The memories!
    Sooo many all night gaming sessions...
    Harkening back to the Xcom days... omg..
    Just have to research this new alien tech, just have to buy new weapons, just have to never ever sleep and realise its 8am and im supposed to go to school...omg... /crash/

Tribes also was a killer for... Just one More Map....
    The long nites me and my mates spent just ma'ing over and over...it will never get old!
    * i could probably fire it up tonight and still have that feeling!*

RainZ on
    RainZ+Aus.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Must get 100% on Trogdor...

:whistle: And de Trogdor comes in the niiiight!:whistle:

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I automatically turn my PS2 on every time I walk into this damn room now. I'll come online to check my messages and emails but while pages are loading I'll be playing God Hand.

It's 1.30 am right now and I came downstairs to send a message to someone and ended up playing God Hand again.

I need to hide that game for a while I think. i think I play this game much like someone would play a MMORPG, just play it subconciously or as another activity while they do something else.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think EQ has made entire weekends fly by for me back in the day. WoW not so much since it's very pick up and play and get back out. RPGs definitely since you don't get sore hands etc like with an action game so you can zone out for hours. Thinking I'll clear a few more rooms of this cave and that's it...

cemetery man on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Civ 2 . Gunpowder was just making the scene and I had two turns to finish a wonder. "I'll quit after I finish building this" then the Mongols invaded. Three hours later I fought my way out of a bottleneck and reached their cities. An hour after that I mopped up the leftovers and finally went to bed.

Alpha Centauri was pretty bad too. "Oh crap! They've got how many turns until they have the planetbuster??!!? CRAP! I didn't even think they had regular missiles yet!" Thus would begin a deathmarch across the continent.

As an afterthought, I think the worst would actually have to be a tie between FireArms (HL mod) and Worms World Party.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I played through both Kingdom Hearts games in one sitting. Not each, one sitting all together. I got maybe 3-4 hours sleep the whole time. 60 hours worth of playing. It was tremendous.

I didn't even plan on doing it. I just kept going "well, one more world" until I beat the first one. Then I popped in the second one going "I'll just play it for a bit to see how it compares" and then the cycle happened again.

Then I got kicked out of college for not going to class and smelling bad.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited April 2007
    I played through both Kingdom Hearts games in one sitting. Not each, one sitting all together. I got maybe 3-4 hours sleep the whole time. 60 hours worth of playing. It was tremendous.

I didn't even plan on doing it. I just kept going "well, one more world" until I beat the first one. Then I popped in the second one going "I'll just play it for a bit to see how it compares" and then the cycle happened again.

Joo crazy mang

cemetery man on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Civilization 2 and now 4 do this to me in the worst way. I can't count how many times i've been going "Ok i'll stop once I finish researching this tech/building this wonder/conquering this civilization, oh shit is it 4 am?"

Even WoW didn't make me lose track of time like that.

KalTorak on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elite Beat Agents.

I go into my bed at 12, and I think "I'll just play a little before I sleep."

When I stop playing, I look at my clock and "oh my god its 1:30"

Mario and Luigi had a similar effect.

I rarely beat console games within a week like I do with portables, though. The only time I can think of doing this recently was with KH2, because I was determined to beat it on a rental. And I did.

BiggNife on
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I got the first Sims as a birthday gift, I didn't know what was about to hit me. Ten hours and two missed meals later, I still didn't know what hit me. Hell, I still don't really know.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
    edited April 2007

Joo crazy mang

That made me laugh out loud, or 'lol', if you will. Just had this running image of your game playing experience in my head and that mental image was the perfect punchline.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • DeckmanDeckman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I used to do this a lot back when I didn't have a single memory card. On at least one occasion, I played Ratchet and Clank for an entire day, stopping once in a while to eat or use the bathroom. I managed to get to Orxon before I had to go to bed.

Did I mention that the PS2 was in my sister's room?

Deckman on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess I'll have a story for this in the morning.

At present, it's two in the morning and I'm about to boot up CS:S D:

ben0207 on
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

thats the spirit, live fast and die young
    alone in your room surrounded by anime and super mario action figures

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2007

I have of DVD boxsets of animated shows in my room and Sonic X action figures on my shelf

:cry:

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2007

alone in your room surrounded by anime and TMNT action figures
    Fix'd

Gorilla Salad on
    edited April 2007

I have of DVD boxsets of animated shows in my room and Sonic X action figures on my shelf

Don't worry about it, man. You'll go down in history as "That one dude who played DMC3 with a Guitar"

Gorilla Salad on
    edited April 2007

lets just say when I said in your room surrounded by anime and mario action figures..well..i got the inspiration from somewhere.... only in my room its disgaea rather than mario
    O_o

taliosfalcon on
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not the sort of person who plays games for long periods of time. Even if I really like it, I'll play for no more than an hour straight. I just don't enjoy playing for long periods of time.

Then one day a month or so back, I went to my friend's house, and was just hanging out playing Viva Pinata. 5 hours. 5 fucking hours straight of Viva Pinata. I still don't know how I did it. The game is just so mellow it never dawned on my I was playing for so long.

I think I play other game like Halo or Gears in shorter bursts is because they get to me, they get me tense and nervous. Viva is the exact opposite and I think that is why I was able to play it for so friggen long.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    just one more song

Just one more song.

Just one more song.

JUST ONE MORE SONG.

YardGnome on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And oh man MTW, so many nights leading my men to glory and valour.

My Emperor would be sitting in his pimp throne in Constantinople while my armies of Byzantium Ass Kickers and Name Takers (Filled with Cataphracts, Byzantium infantry, Trebozond Archers and Varangian Guard) led by one of his sons who are all vicious, merciless, 9 star super generals. I believe I was once at war with almost every single civilization in the game for the only reason because I could take them all out. It was glorius.

Most of Turkey, and Baltic Europe was under the Iron Fist of the Second Roman Empire and I had multiple armies all ready to invade in all directions.

In the east, a the Egyptians formed a massive peasant army that was augmented by a desperate Turkish Jihad dug itself in Antioch.

To the North, The Russians have prepped large forces in Georgia and what looks to be Ukraine. Things are complicated when the Germans invaded and obliterated the Hungarian empire which had been acting as my buffer. While to the west, the Italians were throwing everything they have to conquer my foothold in the Balkans. Things are not helped when an English Crusade is launched and completely butchers France's army into the crusade and was soon deep in fighting side by side with the Italians around the Serbian area.

Of course, this pitiful "resistance" would not stand up to the righteous might of the Byzantium empire! With a massive fleet at my disposal, Byzantium marines wreck havoc on poorly defended Egypt while filling the Imperial coffers with much gold. Egyptian counter attacks were repelled easily as their poorly trained, conscripted peasants fell in their thousands to the spears of my Cataphracts and Alan Cavalry. Even their Caliph fell to the mighty axe of a Viking Varangian. With the leader dead, Egypt descended into civil war, with their allies dead, Turkey feel quickly to a single stack of Byzantium troops. Without any real resistance, the middle east and north africa was subjugated without much effort.

With my coffers overflowing with Arabian gold, I hired every single mercenary I could find (Which was alot after the fall of Egypt and Turkey) and threw them, wave after wave against the Western front to soften them up for my disciplined legions.

Weakened from years of mercenary hordes, my legions pushed through and annihilated all resistance, devastating the German heartland, crushing the crusade, sacking Milan and in a 2 pronged attack with marines in the south and the Byzantium army in the north took out the Italian peninsula. The battle lasted alot of turns because these armies actually had quality troops and many castles. At around this time, I had just completed formation of a new expeditionary force made up of veterans of the eastern campaign with conscripted Arabian soldiers that pushed it's way across Georgia and straight for Muscowy.

The rest of europe was rather uneventful because there was no one else who could match my Imperial might, I gave up on the game when I found myself master of 3/4 of europe because it seems pointless spending the obscene amount of time it would take to conquer the last parts. Especially since there was no worthy opponents left to fight.

That took alot of time to play. And was actually physically exhausting. To this date I still think of all total war games that the first Medieval is the best. For some reason I prefer the 2d polygon troops than the 3d ones that have nowadays.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic and the secret rings is giving me the: one more try and one more mission hard.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Morrowind.

I put in a couple twelve hour days on that fucker.

august on
    edited April 2007
    On rare occasions when I have binged on a game for several hours I've dreamed of matching gems, doing tradeskill combines, comparing loot stats, grind xp and many other vivid game dreams to the point that when you wake up you still feel worn out from gaming since you gamed all night in your dreams.

I don't really game a whole lot. Just if I do it for to long especially before bed That can happen.

cemetery man on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ace Combat Zero. Oh, I'll just finish this mission. Hey, cool, that mission looks cool, shouldn't take too long. Hmm, almost enough money to buy another plane, suppose I'll just take on more mission to get it. Ad infinitum.

AstroMUD was worse though. Much... much... worse. D:

Suriko on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I all-nighted both Metroid Prime and Wind Waker on the first night (Metroid Prime actually came out on the day of my 18th birthday, and there was no sex or alcohol, only Metroid). I remember I got the three pearls and had completely mapped out the sea before I turned off Wind Waker for the first time.

Even Twilight Princess didn't get that treatment. Then again, I'd stayed up all night for my Wii, AND it was my birthday again (did I mention how much Nintendo loves me?), so my friends and I spent all day playing WiiSports, just putting in Zelda at one point to gawk at it. And my friends had ALSO stayed up all night, so let's just say we were extremely waggled out by suppertime. But starting the next day, my life was Zelda until I was done with it, a good week or so later. Every waking non-school non-work non-sex hour was spent waggling my way through Hyrule. Aww yeah.

I also all-nighted MGS3 from the jail cell all the way to the end. I kept telling myself "It can't be MUCH longer", but as it turns out, even after you beat the Shagohod, you still got quite a bit of game left.

SimBen on
    sig.gif