As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA: OTRSPOD Eps. 3 & 4 For Wired's Vaporware '09!

ImtatImtat Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Penny Arcade Games
I can't imagine a more fitting way to get Gabe and Tycho's attention than to get the last two episodes of Penny Arcade's own episodic video game series on Wired.com's Vaporware 09. Who knows, maybe if enough of us nominate PA: OTRSPOD for Vaporware 09 they can claim the top spot formerly held by Duke Nukem Forever!

Link to Sumission page follows

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/vaporware-2009-a-call-for-submissions/

PEBKAC
Imtat on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't recall them ever actually telling us it would come out in '09 (or ever), so it doesn't fit the first rule of the criteria.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ImtatImtat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When the game was originally announced/released, we were told episodes would follow every 3 to 4 months. Following that timeline, the game should have wrapped up around June '09. I'd say that qualifies as vaporware.

Imtat on
    PEBKAC
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited December 2009
    Trust me - we're definitely listening. :) We're just working out some kinks right now, but I assure you we'll have some news for you soon on all of this.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited December 2009
    Wow! Attention from Khoo! Good to know that fans of the game haven't been forgotten.

Imtat on
    PEBKAC
  • Shaolin DaveShaolin Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Trust me - we're definitely listening. :) We're just working out some kinks right now, but I assure you we'll have some news for you soon on all of this.

Thank you so much, Rob. The silence on the progress of the game (or lack thereof) has been pretty insulting to many of us. I'm glad at least one of you guys can throw a little information our way.

Shaolin Dave on
    edited December 2009
    I apologize if it's been taken as an insult, but i can totally see that perspective. Please know it's not because we haven't WANTED to release information! We really do want to tell you what's been going on, but I promise that when we do talk about it you'll look back at this and say "ohhhhhhhhhh."

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wheee la

Xaquin on
  • Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Episode 3 will be in CCG format, while episode 4 will be entirely redesigned into a randomly assorted miniature battles game.

Nick Soapdish on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Episode 3 will be in CCG format, while episode 4 will be entirely redesigned into a randomly assorted miniature battles game.

:^:<3:^:

Shade on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like legal issues then. Cheers for the update Khoo.

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I just creamed my pants a little.
    This is some great stuff. And I mean really great.

A thousand times thank you for the update, Mr Khoo!
    (If this comes off as sarcasm, I do apologize, it's not my intent. I really am grateful.)

Chokehold on
  • BonemerangBonemerang Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, it's nice to hear some news and it's definitely good to know the game isn't down for the count - though I have learned to take the word "soon" with a grain of salt by now.

Bonemerang on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sweet.

I can't wait for the next release because I have a ps3 now and can get it off the PSN network. I'm looking forward to playing it on my console rather than my slow-ass computer.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• LordSintaxLordSintax Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Awesome.... it's really nice to know that I've actually been saving my Microsoft points for a REASON.8-)

LordSintax on
    ubd6013.png
    ubd8803mk8.png
    5438.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like legal issues then. Cheers for the update Khoo.

Perhaps a developer switch?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

That would add some depth to the lackluster combat system so I would be down with that.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited December 2009
    WE DID IT! Penny Arcade Adventures Has landed on Wired's list for Vaporware '09! Link to the story follows.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/vaporware-2009-inhale-the-fail/

Imtat on
    PEBKAC
    edited December 2009
    Um, thanks?

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • d0gmad0gma Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Um, thanks?

Well, I'm sure that to get to that spot on the list it took a lot more than the people in this thread (I know my own desire to cast such a vote dissipated after you were good enough to pop in and assure us our cries were not landing on deaf ears). On the bright side, it does show that people are still interested and anxiously awaiting.

Of course, the biggest bone we could be thrown to calm us for a bit longer would be any scrap of new information. I think the inference of potential legal issues above was sensible, but if there are any new bits of data, however miniscule, that could be offered up I'm sure we'd be beside ourselves in glee-- and continue looking for updates for another six months at least.

d0gma on
    edited December 2009
    Um, thanks?

My whole objective in starting the thread was to get some sort of response regarding the state of the game. When you popped in here the first time Khoo, it was much appreciated. I didn't actually think that the game would land on the list, but rather was hoping that by starting the thread, we might be given some new information as to when, (if ever,) Eps. 3 & 4 would materialize.

Imtat on
    PEBKAC
  • animeguruanimeguru Registered User new member
    edited December 2009

I hope soon really means soon... I'm dangerously close to fulfilling Gabe's "Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory."

animeguru on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Because, you know, that'll get you exactly what you want.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Um, thanks?

Well on the bright side at least it's getting the game's name back out into the public eye. So, that's something? I guess?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • BonemerangBonemerang Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    animeguru wrote: »

I hope soon really means soon... I'm dangerously close to fulfilling Gabe's "Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory."

I think knowing that it's still in production and is going to be released is enough. If they have to take a while to release a quality product I would rather that than them rush it and release something sub-par. Tycho himself has said that once it is released everything will make sense.

Bonemerang on
    edited December 2009
    Bonemerang wrote: »
    I think knowing that it's still in production and is going to be released is enough. If they have to take a while to release a quality product I would rather that than them rush it and release something sub-par. Tycho himself has said that once it is released everything will make sense.

I don't think it's enough. The official websites should show something to reflect it.

We knew that Duke Nukem Forever was "in production" and was "going to be released" back in 1997. For all we know, we'l be hearing the same thing about Episode 3 until it's cancelled in 2021.

Personally DNF doesn't bug me as much. I bet they'll license the engine to make better games anyway, Just gimme my Rain-Slick.

Shaolin Dave on
    edited December 2009
    Okay, so I got bored this evening and wandered over to Hothead's website and on their about page found the following,
    When making Penny Arcade Adventures: On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, we believed the game would sell millions of copies and have an incredibly long name. We were half right.

Not exactly a tactful line IMO.

Link to the page follows so you can read for yourself.

http://www.hotheadgames.com/about.php

Imtat on
    PEBKAC
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think that page is meant to be pretty heavily tongue-in-cheek.
    While hard at work pondering a release date for DeathSpank, we also found a way to leech acclaim and recognition by bringing the more famous game, Braid, to the PS3 and the Mac. Now when people say “Hey, didn’t you guys make Braid?” we just nod vaguely and change the subject.

ASimPerson on
  • dlsimondlsimon Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Wild internet hypothesis: Hothead & PA worked out a deal to get Ep3 into Valve's Half Life Ep 3 bundle.

When HL: Ep3 is announced, then you'll go all 'oooooohhhhh'

You heard it here first!

dlsimon on
  • xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping I'll really have an "...Ohhhhh" moment like they say I will, but I'm thinking I'll end up with a "Why the hell did it take so long?" moment.

xbskid on
  • RemisceRemisce Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    No

Remisce on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They might be pulling the same kind of thing Nintendo did when they were working on Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

How many years was it between Super Mario World and Super Mario 64? Or Zelda: A Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time?

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3D version of Ep. 3. One that looks and plays like SM64 or OoT, but better.

But it'd be nice to hear or see something concrete, something we can point to and say "They haven't just been jerking us around for all this time". Maybe some artwork, a screenshot or two- nothing much, just SOMETHING besides saying "we're still working on it... honest."

Not that we don't trust you, Khoo, but... the whole waiting thing gets old sometimes.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • JamoodahJamoodah Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Making the Vaporware list means people really want it. Well, at least I know I do, and getting on that list puts some attention to the series.

Jamoodah on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think some of you guys should keep things in perspective.

P-A isn't some industry giant that can constantly throw money at production costs to get everything they do done at the same time. Think of all the things Jerry and Mike do solely for us, the reader, Podcasts, Video Games, Internets TV, D&D Adventures, Books, PAX, PAX East, not to mention the Comic, yet they still have to fit in time for business, family, and charity.

I long for the next game as much as anyone, but one thing I've learned over the years is these guys do nothing half-assed. While they may temporarily abandon one venture after a few takes, I know damn well whatever they bring next will be entertaining, hilarious, and high quality.

Sure, I'd love to hear weekly adventures of Omin, Jim, Binwin, and (god rest his soul) Aeofel, but the time between each adventure just makes the next one more savory.

So, in closing, just try to remember that if there is another game in production, the guys busting their pasty asses to make it the best one yet. And in the mean time, treat yourselves to some of their other delicious fruit.

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
    edited January 2010
    AJ Mckay wrote: »
    I think some of you guys should keep things in perspective.

P-A isn't some industry giant that can constantly throw money at production costs to get everything they do done at the same time. Think of all the things Jerry and Mike do solely for us, the reader, Podcasts, Video Games, Internets TV, D&D Adventures, Books, PAX, PAX East, not to mention the Comic, yet they still have to fit in time for business, family, and charity.

I long for the next game as much as anyone, but one thing I've learned over the years is these guys do nothing half-assed. While they may temporarily abandon one venture after a few takes, I know damn well whatever they bring next will be entertaining, hilarious, and high quality.

Sure, I'd love to hear weekly adventures of Omin, Jim, Binwin, and (god rest his soul) Aeofel, but the time between each adventure just makes the next one more savory.

So, in closing, just try to remember that if there is another game in production, the guys busting their pasty asses to make it the best one yet. And in the mean time, treat yourselves to some of their other delicious fruit.

Writing a one line sentence or one paragraph explaining the issue will not break them or keep them from doing any of the above. It seems to me that people are less concerned with the delay and more concerned with the lack of information. While I appreciate the efforts of Jerry and Mike and all they do, they often have criticized others within their comic for doing just this. If it was a legal issue and Hothead has screwed them (which wouldn't surprise me) then I understand, otherwise it's quite frustrating.

Remisce on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Remisce wrote: »

Writing a one line or one paragraph sentence explaining the issue will not break them or keep them from doing any of the above. It seems to me that people are less concerned with the delay and more concerned with the lack of information. While I appreciate the efforts of Jerry and Mike and all they do, they often have criticized others within their comic for doing just this. If it was a legal issue and Hothead has screwed them (which wouldn't surprise me) then I understand, otherwise it's quite frustrating.

Actually, that would surprise me. Hothead folks posted a lot in this forum and were very helpful and communicative. They seemed to be really stand up guys.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HH JoelHH Joel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Writing a one line or one paragraph sentence explaining the issue will not break them or keep them from doing any of the above. It seems to me that people are less concerned with the delay and more concerned with the lack of information. While I appreciate the efforts of Jerry and Mike and all they do, they often have criticized others within their comic for doing just this. If it was a legal issue and Hothead has screwed them (which wouldn't surprise me) then I understand, otherwise it's quite frustrating.

Actually, that would surprise me. Hothead folks posted a lot in this forum and were very helpful and communicative. They seemed to be really stand up guys.

Yeah, what he said! :)

HH Joel on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HH Joel wrote: »

Yeah, what he said! :)
    YOU'VE ACTIVATED OUR TRAP CARD!

Now what is going on with this game, mister?! Answer or lose half your life points!

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010

I must be reading different forums here and on playgreenhouse, I've found quite the opposite. If you don't provide any new information for almost a year, that's neither helpful or communicative.

Remisce on
    edited January 2010
    www.rainslick.com hasn't been updated since April 2009.

Shaolin Dave on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well it's nice that Khoo and HH Joel posted in here and that is cool. But still the lack of ... well .... any info is really frustrating. At least tell us one of the following

1. We are going to do an Episode 3 and 4 and they will be out this year.
    2. Hot Head wanted to devote themselves to Death Spank and will start on Ep3&4 after that raps up
    3. We aren't going to do them since they were losing us money
    4. we blew all the money on hookers and blow.

Artoria on