Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

1202122232426»

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously guys, it's pre-beta marketing. Of course they're not going to say "we'll incorporate a number of mechanics of other successful MMOs."

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    remember pluto? Once a planet but now a pseudo
    funny how information changes the facts that you know
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay but there's fucking footage and proof of this shit.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ehh, TOR definitely isn't a KOTOR 3.

Since it takes place some hundred years after KOTOR 2, it might as well play ten thousand years before KOTOR 1 or after KOTOR 2.

It's its own story, they distanced from the first two games enough so that they don't have to reference anything.

edited November 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Ehh, TOR definitely isn't a KOTOR 3.

Since it takes place some hundred years after KOTOR 2, it might as well play ten thousand years before KOTOR 1 or after KOTOR 2.

It's its own story, they distanced from the first two games enough so that they don't have to reference anything.

Well, they could reference general plot points they probably had planned for part 3, or the overall story people pieced together from what the KotOR trilogy was gonna be.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2009
    I think what you consider underdeveloped is just subtlety.

Its easy enough to figure out that Handmaiden is Kreia's daughter for example if you look at whats presented. It just isn't smacked into your face like the fact you're really Revan.

...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Spoiler:

nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »

Its easy enough to figure out that Handmaiden is Kreia's daughter for example if you look at whats presented. It just isn't smacked into your face like the fact you're really Revan.
    Yeah... considering that there's no indication that Kreia is actually Arren Kae (Brianna's mother), I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.

Well, it doesn't come outright and say it. But indications? Hell yes. I mean, Disciple lists Kae as one of Revan's former masters who left the order to fight in the Mandalorian wars. Kreia is a former master of Revan's who left the order to fight in the Mandalorian wars.

There are others, but that's the strongest one for me.

nemosig.png
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah... considering that there's no indication that Kreia is actually Arren Kae (Brianna's mother), I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.

Well, it doesn't come outright and say it. But indications? Hell yes. I mean, Disciple lists Kae as one of Revan's former masters who left the order to fight in the Mandalorian wars. Kreia is a former master of Revan's who left the order to fight in the Mandalorian wars.

There's also the fact that Kreia without her hood looks an awful lot like an older Handmaiden. (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/Update%2058/img-31.jpg)

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

There's also the fact that Kreia without her hood looks an awful lot like an older Handmaiden. (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/Update%2058/img-31.jpg)

The question is did that shot exist in the game, or was that cut content?

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, there are actually people that say that the NPCs are better in 1 than 2? o_O

And for that matter, there's far more reactivity to your choices (ie roleplaying as opposed to just reading a book) in the Dantooine scene in kotor2 than there is about the big reveal in 1

camo_sig2.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

It was never in the game, whether it was intended or not... So you can't officially use material that was cut as if it proved anything.

edited December 2009

So a coincidence is a strong indication for you?

Someone actually wrote this. This is fiction. Scenes have purposes and we are given information for a reason. When Disciple lists the notable masters Revan had he places extra emphasis on Arren Kae by adding the extra information about her leaving to fight in the Mandalorian wars. This is deliberate. When we are told Revan went back to Kreia to understand how best to leave the Jedi Order, this is also deliberate. When the council mentions that Kreia left to fight the Mandalorian wars, this is also deliberate.

Avellone's unofficially confirmed it, so all we're arguing about right now is whether enough information was woven into the game to reach that conclusion. I say yes. Your mileage may vary.

nemosig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It was never in the game, whether it was intended or not... So you can't officially use material that was cut as if it proved anything.

Exactly. I think people who like KotOR2 are fans of the game Obsidian almost made, not the game they actually made.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The SA Let's Play, while entertaining, is probably doing the most harm to KOTOR2. Especially since it's technically not 'canon' and refers constantly to content that was not originally released nor officially patched in later.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even ignoring everything else, kotor2 is superior for the simple fact that it's actually playable on the PC. Ie, you don't have to try to hit 20x10 pixel arrows every few seconds.

camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2009
    Exactly. I think people who like KotOR2 are fans of the game Obsidian almost made, not the game they actually made.

This comes up a lot. It's an attempt to poo-poo KotOR2 fans as people who are imagining half the things they like about the game. It's nonsense.

A game doesn't need to be perfect or finished to be enjoyed and loved.

I played KotOR2 when it came out. I played it on the Xbox. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the writing and I enjoyed the settings and the way the plot unfolded. I did this without knowledge of any cut content whatsoever. My favourite scenes are right there on that Xbox release DVD.

nemosig.png
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

This comes up a lot. It's an attempt to poo-poo KotOR2 fans as people who are imagining half the things they like about the game. It's nonsense.

A game doesn't need to be perfect or finished to be enjoyed and loved.

I played KotOR2 when it came out. I played it on the Xbox. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the writing and I enjoyed the settings and the way the plot unfolded. I did this without knowledge of any cut content whatsoever. My favourite scenes are right there on that Xbox release DVD.
    When I was midway through the harbinger on my first playthrough, I realized I was more engaged in the story that almost any other game I'd ever played. When I finished it the first time, I immediately started up another game to see the choices I hadn't made. Cut content came later.

If we're making broad, sweeping generalizations here, I think a lot of people let their issues with the ending sour them on the wonderful ride that got them there.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The fact that kotor remains as popular as it is in spite of it's issues is a testament to how good a game it is.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2009
    I would be very, very surprised if all of the hints that Kreia is Arren Kae are pure coincidence and the writers had no idea that it would be interpreted that way. Is there enough room to say "no she isn't"? Sure. But the intention was definitely there to have it as a theory.

edited December 2009
    yeah, I didn't even realize that was disagreed on anymore

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Even ignoring everything else, kotor2 is superior for the simple fact that it's actually playable on the PC. Ie, you don't have to try to hit 20x10 pixel arrows every few seconds.

I'm going to assume you're talking about Force / Skill / Item selection on the main screen. Of which you can use a mouse wheel to scroll up and down the list(s). It's not the greatest interface, but it's certainly not unplayable by any stretch of the imagination.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    edited December 2009
    My least favorite thing about KotOR 1 on the PC is that the menu screens don't adjust to your chosen resolution - instead, they get smaller and smaller because they're a set size and the border graphic around them gets bigger and bigger. This wouldn't be much of an issue if going into those menus wasn't a frequent thing, which they are.

- @Ludious
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm trying to adjust KOTOR to accept widescreen resolutions, but widescreengaming.net told me that I could run into some issues since I have the Steam version. Has anyone with the Steam version had problems, or is it basically exactly like the disc version?

play me in hearthstone: abstrakt11#1365 PSN: tooaware
    edited December 2009
    So I'm trying to adjust KOTOR to accept widescreen resolutions, but widescreengaming.net told me that I could run into some issues since I have the Steam version. Has anyone with the Steam version had problems, or is it basically exactly like the disc version?
    Widescreen Gaming Forum has full instructions for the workaround for getting the Steam version working.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Strange, it's not actually working for me. The Universal Widescreen Patcher won't let me enter a new resolution, and it just crashes when I tell it to "Find it for me."

Also, it said something about violated the terms of use with steam. Is that bad?

play me in hearthstone: abstrakt11#1365 PSN: tooaware
    edited December 2009
    I didn't have a problem with it in any way when I did it.

You hunted down the correct thing that it told you to hunt down, right?

edit: And you're not trying to patch the exe Steam downloaded, right?

• akesoakeso Registered User
    edited January 2011
    So I've decided to pick this game up again after it went on sale via steam.
    At the same time, I was hoping to see if any good solid mods had appeared on the PC version over my old Xbox copy.

Anyone have any advice for mods I should download?

primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Are You Satisfied?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so for KOTOR1, is there any way to compare equipment in shops to what you're currently wearing? I can't see any way of finding out whether a weapon or armor piece is better than what I already have.

edited January 2011
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so for KOTOR1, is there any way to compare equipment in shops to what you're currently wearing? I can't see any way of finding out whether a weapon or armor piece is better than what I already have.

With a few exceptions, you're better off with quest items/chests than purchasing stuff from stores. The only really useful things are a few implants. Now, if you have the PC version, basically everything at Yavin 4 is beyond godly. You can seriously, seriously own.

With the Bagaran repeater, Bendek's blaster and Fett's pistol. I took HK-47 and Carth with me on the Star Forge. With rapid fire, they scythed down pretty much every Sith in the place with only Revan acting as melee.