As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of The Year

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when was there a snowmobile in Modern Warfare?

MrMonroe on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »

At least the new MoH game looked decent despite looking like a clone of MW1.

Nah. It looks pretty distinct.

With the exception of the helicopters part, it has the AC-130 mission, the snowmobile (albeit a 4x4 in this case), the night vision rescue, and the afghanistan locale down pat. All we need is a badass british chap, but this time give him a welsh accent and we've got this farce down cold.

I believe that those visuals were taken from inside a helicopter gunship not an AC-130. So because Night Vision is used during a rescue that means that any game that does it afterwards is copying from that game. I had no idea Afghanistan had a coastline. The things you learn from Modern Warfare 1!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

With the exception of the helicopters part, it has the AC-130 mission, the snowmobile (albeit a 4x4 in this case), the night vision rescue, and the afghanistan locale down pat. All we need is a badass british chap, but this time give him a welsh accent and we've got this farce down cold.

I believe that those visuals were taken from inside a helicopter gunship not an AC-130. So because Night Vision is used during a rescue that means that any game that does it afterwards is copying from that game. I had no idea Afghanistan had a coastline. The things you learn from Modern Warfare 1!

I'm just saying that if they wanted to sell me on taking the MoH franchise into the modern era, they could have shown me parts from the game that didn't distinctly remind me of games I've played within the last 8 hours.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I had no idea Afghanistan had a coastline.

well from the wiki
    The game will be a reboot of the series, set in modern-day Afghanistan.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NEVER QUESTION ME AGAIN BITCH

*SLAP*

NOW FETCH ME A SANDWICH

The Otaku Suppository on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I guess Heroes of Newerth does not count since it is in a beta, maybe?

I also guess that this is not a formal thing with rules and such, so Heroes of Newerth for best total and complete duplication of another game but still awesome.

Also it is so cheesy, but the game now wishing me a merry christmas in santa voice (with the ho ho ho) pleases me so much

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Need for Speed: Shift is the best racing game this year.

More people need to play it.

Drool on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Halo reach looks pretty cool

Theres even ghost from MW2!

Dadouw on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Anyone see The Road?

Holy hell that was some bleak shit.

And I couldn't really find fault in it. It's like a perfect movie but I don't know if I could say I would ever watch it again and I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

I hate you for this.

I have to wait MONTHS.

FUCKING MONTHS.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Need for Speed: Shift is the best racing game this year.

More people need to play it.

Wow this is wrong.

NotASenator on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    need for speed shift looks cool what with the cockpit view and everything

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never been a man for racing games at all but some of the videos I've seen of like, Dirt 2 and Shift and such sort of make me want to play them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I might need to pick up Dirt 2, although it's going on the end of a long list of games i need to get
    Modern Warfare 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Arkham Asylum
    Dragon Age
    The Saboteur
    Bayonetta
    new legend of zelda DS game
    dirt 2

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My book of the year is a tie between Tokyo Vice and The Strain

DrIanMalcolm on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man Dragon Age was cool as hell.

So was Borderlands.

And so is L4D2

I really can't decide.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Forza 3 came out this year.

NotASenator on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    force unleashed was so bad

Disappointment of the year as far as games go.

pillow on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    2009 for shittiest year.

Son was in Children's Hospital D.C. for falling and hitting his head and having 5 seizures.

Later that month the whole family got strep throat.

A month later I had nasal polyps that made it so I couldn't breathe through my nose for a month.

Once I got over that, I got the flu

Then my wife got the flu.

but instead of being the flu, it was lyme's disease that put her in the hospital for a week because we caught it WAY too late.

My wife has no insurance because my work is doing too poorly to afford family healthcare.

20k later ....

later, my dog gets lyme disease too. Fortunately, he was easily cured.

then my nasal polyps came back and clogged me up so bad I had to get tubes in my ears to ease the pressure (yay surgery).

In short, 2009 can fuck off. Bring on 2010

Xaquin on
    edited December 2009
    well sure, because as soon as the calender flips, your medical issues will vanish.

NotASenator on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    well sure, because as soon as the calender flips, your medical issues will vanish.

shutupshutup, I'm hoping when the calendar flips everything will magically be better, too

pillow on
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, I've said this before, Xaquin, I hope things get better for you.

NotASenator on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xauqin's wishlish should be like

not dying

Raneados on
    edited December 2009

I like Need for Speed: Shift better. I'm not that into cars so having over 400 cars and being able to dress them up does nothing for me.

However NFS:S gives you a serious sense of speed and the cockpit view is amazing. Also it looks better, sounds better, and I like the driving model and career mode better. Also I can play it on my PC, which is one of the reasons it looks so much better.

I do hope if they do a Shift 2 they lift some of the tuning setup trading stuff from Forza because it would be nice to be able to get some help with that.

Drool on
    edited December 2009

I like Need for Speed: Shift better. I'm not that into cars so having over 400 cars and being able to dress them up does nothing for me.

However NFS:S gives you a serious sense of speed and the cockpit view is amazing. Also it looks better, sounds better, and I like the driving model and career mode better. Also I can play it on my PC, which is one of the reasons it looks so much better.

I do hope if they do a Shift 2 they lift some of the tuning setup trading stuff from Forza because it would be nice to be able to get some help with that.

But the driving is shit in that game.

NotASenator on
  • TabascoTabasco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would have to probably say Batman.

But man, Forza 3 was racing game heaven.

Honorable mention goes to Boderlands for being way too much fun.

Tabasco on
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I think Pip posts on Kotaku

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited December 2009

No it isn't actually. It's a lot of fun. I did have to tweak my controller settings to make it more responsive, but once it was dialed in it hits the perfect balance between sim and arcade.

Drool on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bayonetta for game of the millennium

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited December 2009

No it isn't actually. It's a lot of fun. I did have to tweak my controller settings to make it more responsive, but once it was dialed in it hits the perfect balance between sim and arcade.

The interesting thing about being correct is that you are not.

NotASenator on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NFS:S is pretty much the baby version of Forza

"Too shitty to be decent at Forzas? Well then this game is for you!"

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still need to buy forza 3.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NFS:Shit

it's right there in the title.

Forza 3 looks decent. And his has that one thing on GT:5 and that is the fact that it is released

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, judging from the 30 seconds I saw of Medal Of Honor I saw I can now easily dismiss it as a Modern Warfare ripoff.

don't set games in modern times! infinity ward invented that and you can't have it.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited December 2009
    well, judging from the 30 seconds I saw of Medal Of Honor I saw I can now easily dismiss it as a Modern Warfare ripoff.

don't set games in modern times! infinity ward invented that and you can't have it.

Oh shoe.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited December 2009
    They should just call it "Medal of Honor: Revenge for the IW Guys Leaving"

NotASenator on
    edited December 2009
    just imagine the fervor when they announce the main character as Toap McSavish.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bayonetta for game of the millennium

bayonetta: the first feminist game?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited December 2009
    is it too late to call battlefield 2 a modern warfare ripoff

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif