As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like Batman, I Prepared For The Eventuality This Would Digress Into Bad Puns.MOVE ON

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I... just read that whole post. All I got out of it is that that dude really wants someone to secret satan him some Excel Saga.
    I don't know anything about Excel Saga.
    I'm scared my brain would melt if I did.

Monger on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Wait.... You could kill the plant pod things?

Yeah, just go up to them and press A.

And hopefully you enjoy that canned animation of him punching into and then ripping open the pod, splattering the fake camera with plant blood, because it's gonna be the same every single fucking time.

You know that was a fake batman too right?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

Yea... heh. My point wasn't that it was fake. Just that it's the same camera angle of the same animation every time. Which stemmed from the fact that the only way to kill the pods was walking up to it and pressing the A button.

Which is really boring after the 3rd time. Nevermind the 20th.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    beauh906 wrote: »
    I love QTEs and I highly already expect Heavy Rain to be my GOTY 2010.

You have an avatar of Lady GaGa.

I knew right from the getgo I was talking to a terrible person.

:lol: So what do you think of my avatar. :winky:

Spoiler so I don't get moderated.
    Anime. You must like anime.

What's up with anime? It's just terrible, terrible art. The same identical fucking appearance, all across anime. Weird shaped head, with giant eyes, small nose, small mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Are they greys? Are they supposed to look like grey aliens? Cause grey aliens also have giant eyes, small nose, and small mouth.

And what's up with them having giant teardrops next to their head sometimes? Why is there a giant teardrop hovering near their head? Why? Is it raining? Is something going on? It looks retarded. Absolutely hideous. Along with the giant eyes. And sometimes the faces turn into cat faces for some fucking reason. Again, stupid shit.

And what about the super deformed appearances? Sometimes they turn super deformed. Have they just been in a fucking transporter malfunction, like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture? Where the science officer and that chick from the Lost Years novels gets transmogrified and all screwed up by the transporter? Why are things super deformed? Why does anything have to be deformed for no goddamn reason? Why is it super deformed, and not ultra deformed? Super deformed denotes that it has not quite gotten to the stage where it might be ultra deformed? Cause they look pretty deformed, and squished, and all small and ugly and kinda stout and uh... they don't look quite right. Again, really stupid and ugly art.

But it all comes back to the fact that they all look stupid. Giant eyes, really really giant eyes. Who the hell thought up this shit? With small mouths, that sometimes have a little bit of pointy incisor tooth. Just a little bit of incisor, to make em look kinda like cat people. Other times, you don't even see the nose. The nose disappears completely. Just awful. Ridiculous crap.

And of course, because they do all look the same, with the identical faces, the only logical way to differentiate them... the only way to tell em apart, is with wild and different colored hair. So you've got people with green hair. For no goddamn reason. Or they'll have blonde hair, but they're still supposed to be Asian? Really? Asian people with really blonde hair, that doesn't actually look like it was dyed? Purple hair, blue hair... just the gamut of colors. All because they can't be fucked to draw people differently. Noooooo, always gotta continue with the same identical giant eyed faces with small mouths. Unless they open the mouth, then the nose disappears. The mouth opens, nose disappears, and giant teardrop comes WHAM out of fucking nowhere. People make fun of the crazy ass hair in anime, and the defense is "well they wouldn't be able to tell characters apart without the different colored hair." No fucking shit. No fucking shit we wouldn't be able to tell those idiotic characters apart, they're all the same with those giant eyes and small noses and mouths! The answer isn't to give em all ridiculous hair... it's to actually try and draw em differently sometimes a bit mayhaps! Think, you lazy assholes!

Speaking of lazy... anime is so absolutely lazy. Just look at ALL the fucking speedline sequences in anime. I'm talking about those scenes where a character does something really dramatic, like running. What is the background while he's running? It's some crazy hyperspace field with a lot of lines and maybe purple ass stars flying around and it's like... where the fuck did this guy go off to? Or a robot will do something crazy like fly around. Suddenly, he's in this pinkish background with sparkles or some shit. And he's doing some crazy maneuver, but it's not in a location anymore, he's floating around in this magical ethereal world of white lines and stars and uh... nothingness? It's bullshit.

And of course, you'll have plenty of shots of people making punches or cutting with a sword, and the animation shows them all frozen in place, then a giant slash appears, then the thing getting punched or cut suddenly leaps six feet off of where it was, and the shot freezes once again. This is supposed to be dramatic, but just looks lazy, like the animators didn't want to animate more then a few shots. Lots of frozen scenes, depicting stuff happening. It's retarded.

You look at American animation, and yea, some of it looks like crap, but for God's same, it doesn't all look alike. The Simpsons doesn't look like Batman TAS. Batman TAS doesn't look like X-Men TAS. Rugrats doesn't look like Ren and Stimpy. Kim Possible doesn't look like South Park. (Yes, I watched Kim Possible. It was embarrassing, but I was bored.) But everything anime is the same. Giant eyes, small nose, small mouth... usually a fucking robot in the background.

Speaking of giant robots, let's talk about one of the biggest symbols of anime: that ridiculous robot franchise Gundam.

So uh... I guess George Lucas doesn't care about people in Japan ripping off his Star Wars stuff? Cause aren't those light sabers the Gundams are using? Isn't that what it is, an energy sword type of weapon? Did Gundam pay for the rights to use light sabers from Star Wars? I kinda doubt it. Mind you, I don't like Star Wars... but that doesn't mean that ripping em off is okay. It's like you get two turds for the price of one.

And why does a Gundam always look like a giant robot stylized in samurai armor? If it's the future, why would the giant robot have to look that way? Some scientists finally made the breakthrough that allowed giant mechs to be a reality, and they all gathered around and decided that the samurai armor look was the obvious way to go? There's no other form that a giant advanced robotic fighting machine can take, they have to look like ancient Samurai warriors? I mean, they've got that samurai crest sorta spikey thing on top of the helmet, there's the actual helmet... and then you've got the two weird notches in the nose and the giant red clit for a chin. Why would you have these two random notches in the nose area? What does that do? Why do all Gundams have those two notches on the nose area? Someone explain this to me. And why a red chin? Why do Gundam always have that red chin that protrudes down? What technology requires a red chin that sorta pokes out of the face of the mech? Why this particular arrangement that's supposed to resemble a face? It doesn't matter, the pilot of the damn Gundam doesn't even sit in the head, he's sitting down in the torso. So why the two yellow eyes? Why the crest on top of the helmet? Why do they do this? And what's up with the shield? It doesn't cover much of the giant robot, it doesn't seem to be used at all... what's it doing? Why is there a giant star on the side of it? Does the giant yellow star provide some sort of technological boost?

And how about the name Gundam? What does Gundam even mean? Is it a combination of the words "gun" and "dam?" Cause Gundams do hold guns. Oftentimes, they'll be ridiculously long guns. Kinda unwieldy. But they do use guns. But what about dam? Are there any dams involved with Gundams? No, not really? Then what does Gundam mean? Why are they called Gundams instead of, say... Giant Samurai Robots? What's the meaning of Gundam? Does it have any meaning? I dunno, it's all very vague. They're just called Gundams because... they are. Even though guns and dams aren't generally associated with one another.

How come the hero of these weird Gundam animes is always some 14 or 15 year old boy? How does that make any sense? Why would you draft 15 year old boys into your army and allow them to pilot your best vehicles? That doesn't make any sense. We don't let 15 year old boys fly F22 Raptors. It's stupid. Although, at least in what I could see of this series, the 15 year old protagonist wasn't an effeminate-looking boy. Ya know, so many of these anime protagonists are rather effeminate. Kinda gender-confused. So that's a little different from other animes. He just has some weirdass hair.

So... their ship is called White Base? First of all, that is a really weak name. Why would anyone name anything White Base? That's the blandest fucking name ever. And furthermore, it's not even a base, it's a ship. Why would a ship be called White Base? I guess the ship is white, but shouldn't you call it something interesting and naval, like Enterprise or Excelsior? Why call it a White Base? A base is usually some sort of building on the ground. Even if it was a building, nobody in their right mind would just name it White Base. To call a giant battleship White Base is staggeringly unimaginative and lame. And the space station is named Side 7? Is this the 7th in the Side series of stations? Why the fuck would any space station be called Side 7? That is the most retarded name for a space station I have ever heard. I mean, Deep Space Nine is a pretty terrible name, but ya know what... it's light years beyond the idiotic naming schemes in Gundam.

Rambal Ral? Amuro Ray? Fraw Bow? Who the hell came up with these names? Why would anyone think to name characters like this? How can you take anything seriously when you see that their name is Rambal Ral? Wtf? Is this on purpose? Did the creative directors of the Gundam franchise intentionally come up with batshit insane names for the characters to... I dunno, show that in the future, people like really bizarre names? Is that their master stroke? It's uh... it's pretty bold.

So basically... Gundam is complete bullshit. It's uh... so very godawful.

This reply has me laughing so damn hard I'm tempted to report it for awesome. But I won't because I fear ridicule.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wow
    Unbreakable Vow is debating Delta Assault. Whoever wins, I lose.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Guys. Batman.

A duck! on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I didn't kill by them by crouching them, though. I waited for them to shoot orbs, Bataranged the orbs then ran up and took them apart.

Also I like how automatic the grappling was. Batman should be able to grapple out of any situation like that. If it were up to me to grapple, I'd be fumbling around and getting shot to death, which is very un-Batman-like.

That's a very compelling argument.

For a game made up of nothing but QTEs.

What? Just...no.

Between the BG thread, wanting to make a big post of flaws about AA, and now that horribly generic anime rant I am convinced that Delta is the antithesis of every good opinion, ever.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yea... heh. My point wasn't that it was fake. Just that it's the same camera angle of the same animation every time. Which stemmed from the fact that the only way to kill the pods was walking up to it and pressing the A button.

Which is really boring after the 3rd time. Nevermind the 20th.

I discovered this also. Which is why I just, you know, ran past them.

Wank on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah there aren't very many plant pods that you absolutely need to kill. And it's not like the animation is 30 seconds long or anything; it takes basically the same amount of time to spray explosive on a wall, and that's always the same animation too!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did it for however little WayneTech XP I would get.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys don't get it... It's stupid and boring and takes away from immersion. The rest of the game is only barely good enough to make up for such a glaring fault.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I hadn't played in a while, and then a lunatic popped out at me in one of those "Can't grapple. Crumbling." rooms and I forgot how to take him out. All I can seem to do is counter his attacks with triangle and throw him after mashing X when he gets on my back.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're lucky, you can straight up punch them. But the only sure way to defeat them is to ground pound them. So whatever you can do to get them onto the ground is your best tactic.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What Batman does seems slightly unfeasible.

Think about it. He goes out night after night and fights criminals in Gotham City. But how does he do this? He waits until it's night. Night time will generally be from 7:00 pm to maybe... what, 5:00 am? That's not bad, that's a solid 10 hours of crimefighting. But what happens when the sun comes up? No more Batman. And that's exactly when the criminals and supervillains are going to strike, right? Cause after a while, even the cowardly and superstitious lot are bound to notice that Batman seems to arrive at 7:00 pm every night, like clockwork. They'll just sleep during the night and do their dastardly schemes during the day. Kinda like how normal people operate. Batman isn't able to do anything, he's gotta wait till night. Unless he got some sort of WayneTech device to block out the Sun. That'd be silly, though.

But you might be saying... well, he'll just go out as Bruce Wayne during the day and stop them with his Lamborghini Murcielago. Like in that Chris Nolan film, The Dark Knight. Which sounds good, except that he actually risks blowing his cover. He's not wearing his mask as Bruce Wayne. And Bruce Wayne doesn't have the protection of the Batsuit, or any handy gadgets. That's quite risky. So what he did in TDK seems like a pretty rare occurrence. Generally, he's not gonna risk it.

And of course, he'd probably be sleeping during the day. Like a vampire, which is appropriate. After fighting crime for 10 hours and grappling from building to building, beating thugs, saving hostages... Bruce has got to be beat and in need of some rest. I don't believe any comics have ever had him copying Kramer and trying that DaVinci sleep method where you only sleep for 20 minutes every few hours or something. The man's reserves are down, he'll have to go to sleep during the day. You know what happens when he doesn't get sleep? He gets his fucking back broken, that's what. It's a bad scene.

Now, on to Batman actually fighting crime. His batsuit protects him from bullets. And he'll generally hide in the darkness. But what about his no killing rule? Is that really an actual rule that a guy fighting crime night after night can keep? You'd think that eventually he'd do something like punch a guy, have the guy go unconscious, fall down, hit his head on a toilet bowl or something, and die from inadequate medical attention later on. Or maybe he punches some big dude in the chest, which causes a freak heart attack and death? Ya know, stuff that's a little unlikely, but becomes more and more likely as his crimefighter career continues. Batman doesn't have detailed medical dossiers on every two bit crook and thug in Gotham, right? That seems like a stretch.

In law, we have something called the eggshell skull rule. Basically, if you punch someone in the head and they turn out to have a rare condition which makes their skull as weak and brittle as an eggshell, you'll be punished for the actual outcome, not your intent to merely inflict a punch that would have slightly injured a man with a normal skull. So you're basically screwed if you just happen to punch someone with an eggshell skull. Now, this could happen to Batman. He might not know if a new criminal mastermind has an eggshell skull. So he goes for the one punch knockout and... ends up killing the guy. Gordon and the GCPD suddenly have a warrant out for his ass. He's done for. Or, the criminal supervillains like Joker or Two Face could just hire someone with an eggshell skull to be their thug for a heist. Batman shows up and falls right into their trap. It's terrible, breaking your one rule to never kill because you ran into a thug with an eggshell skull. That would just feel terrible.

Batman often gets wounded in combat. You know, something sharp shreds his costume sometimes. Catwoman's scratched him good in a few encounters. So he gets cut a bit and maybe blood spills out from the wound. Batman doesn't stop to clean up the pavement, he just keeps going with the battle and drives away when it's all over. So you've got Batman's blood on Gotham pavement, or inside a building somewhere. Couldn't someone take that blood and try to find Batman's real identity with it? Just gotta try and match it up with any DNA in a database. Bruce Wayne probably had blood taken from him as a kid for... medical reasons, right? Does a hospital keep really good records of people's blood and DNA? I'm not sure, but even if they don't, the existence of Batman's blood is worrisome evidence. Could you use the DNA in the blood to trace it to the Wayne genealogy? It doesn't seem too far fetched.

It's tough being Batman. I don't know how he does it.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    These posts seem like they're ripped from Maddox's website or something. I do appreciate them though.
    Do Halo for me.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    How about we stick to Batman:AA instead?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm all for that. Crazy rant man should send me a PM about Halo. Rip it a new one.

HAI guys how would you rate Batman's gameplay length/replayability factor against it's price?!

Stigma on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While it's not a long game, I find the pacing to be absolutely perfect and it's a game that's just such an enjoyable ride that I find the desire to play through again is a strong one. I've played through three times now and I'm considering doing it again...this is very rare for me.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, I bought it because TrU had an additional $30 gift card on offer. So after using it on another game, it essentially game out to about $45.

I was satisfied. However, short of DLC (which doesn't add actual missions, just challenges), there isn't much to do once you 100% it. Probably worth playing again every so often.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Indeed, I thought I was done with AA, but I've been getting the urge to do it again though I already have three times.

If I indeed double-dip, I'm gonna pick up the PS3 version to clean up the Trophies this time instead of Achievements.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To be fair, if there was a dude in Gotham with an eggshell skull, he'd have his own criminal empire and cotume and other paraphanalia, all based on eggs and skulls

and about the DNA thing: I think I read something about "nanoscrubbers" in his blood that protect him from poisons and stuff. Not that big of a stretch to think the could destroy enough of the DNA on command to conceal his identity

You probably don't believe in Santa either

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    HAI guys how would you rate Batman's gameplay length/replayability factor against it's price?!

Gameplay length seems low, if you compare it to some other games released. If you compare it to Modern Warfare 2's length though, it seems pretty great. So that's really hard to say. Coming off of a run of Dragon Age or Borderlands or AC2, it's undoubtedly going to seem a bit short. You really have to judge if the quality of the experience is enough to make up the difference.

There's no real replayability though. It's not linear in the sense that it's a straight line, there are hub areas involved, so you'll have to backtrack and encounter the same areas but with different conditions. But all in all, the campaign's gonna be exactly the same. The only replayability might be in getting higher scores in the Danger Rooms. Wait, Danger Rooms are the rooms in X-Men. What are they called, hazard rooms? Challenge rooms? The challenge is in getting higher scores, but I just played em once each and had enough. It only served to remind me that these sections were taken from the campaign and that there was a lot more to do because you weren't confined inside a room.

So... probably not very favorably, for a sixty dollar purchase. I traded mine in. *shrug*

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    To be fair, if there was a dude in Gotham with an eggshell skull, he'd have his own criminal empire and cotume and other paraphanalia, all based on eggs and skulls
    egghead1.jpg
    Vincent Price has got you covered.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I remember when people used to replay games because they enjoyed them and not becasue they had giant collect-a-thons or online mode.

I replay this game for the same reason I replay Mario or MGS games...cause the experience is so damn satisfying even if it's the same basic thing every time.

And the game length is pretty standard for an action game. Make it 20 hours long and you most likely destroy the pacing and drag it out longer than it should be.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And the game length is pretty standard for an action game. Make it 20 hours long and you most likely destroy the pacing and drag it out longer than it should be.

Not necessarily.

Assassin's Creed II makes it hard for me to accept this as a universal truth any longer.

Not that I hate shorter game experiences (I love this, and I'm perfectly fine with a six-hour game), but they can be longer and still keep on being awesome and intriguing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Not necessarily.

Assassin's Creed II makes it hard for me to accept this as a universal truth any longer.

Not that I hate shorter game experiences (I love this, and I'm perfectly fine with a six-hour game), but they can be longer and still keep on being awesome and intriguing.

RE4, AC2, old games...
    I remember when I thought 30 hours was the standard length of a good action game.
    Then Max Payne 2 came out.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm talking about this specific game. The pacing in it is extremely good, and stretching it out any longer than it needs to be could do more harm than good.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved BAA's length. It's just right.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm talking about this specific game. The pacing in it is extremely good, and stretching it out any longer than it needs to be could do more harm than good.

Pretty much. It actually almost felt too long. Whether or not you were solving riddles, the revisiting the same area with slight modifications thing was beginning to get a little old.

But there are much worse first efforts out there. This does well enough.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1. Boss Fights Sucked.
    Bane I thought was good, until they started throwing Bane Jr's at me right and left. Poison Ivy was pretty mediocre though and the last boss fight was bloody terrible.
    2. Gargoyles a bit too convenient, grappling mechanic felt too automatic, no finesse involved.
    I agree about the gargoyles. I'm mostly fine with them outside (if the architecture fits) but inside, they really need to come up with things that match. I didn't mind when they used the vents but you really couldn't do anything from them.

The only problem I had with grappling was that it'd sometimes aim at things I didn't want to grapple to. I would've prefered it if tapping R1 grapples automatically but holding R1 down lets you aim and then grapples when you let it go.
    3. Hollow gameplay sections: Courtyard filled with killing dozens and dozens of plant pods (that shoot plasma balls WTF?) by crouching and pressing a button to initiate the canned animation.

I didn't have any problems with that part, though more animations are always nice (so long as they're good).

Are those really the only complaints you had for Arkham Asylum? I think I'll add:

1) The Super Venom was a cheap plot device to create mini-bosses and ruined the final boss fight. The Batman world is already interesting enough without hundreds of Bane wannabes thank you.

2) It's been mentioned but the zig-zagging across the complex for the entire game got tiring after a while.

3) The little arenas in the Scarecrow sections. There were a couple of good parts in there but for the most part, they weren't as great as some people say they are. Running around trying to avoid giant Scarecrow is kinda lame, I would've prefered more sanity effects.

4) The obvious fighting and stealth segments. Personally, I think it should be possible to go through nearly every encounter each way. When enemies have guns, you should be able to use disarm them all and beat the crap out of them. When enemies are in groups, you should be able to seperate them.

5) Get rid of the cape stun, the stunrod guys and the knife guys and work on different ways to add variety to the fights. In other words, play Yakuza 3 when it comes out in March.

6) The detective parts. Arkham Asylum's detective parts were even worse than The Dark Knight's, they really need to put some smart puzzles in there that make you actually use your brain.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A bit off topic. But if they have a non-super ripped mode I would be very happy.
    ITT the only game company a request like this might be slightly reasonable for would be Naughty Dog

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do you mean a less beefy bat?

Stigma on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think Bat was fine, but guys like Gordon shouldn't look like they can bench an 18-wheeler.

Kind of a minor issue though.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Play as Terry/Batman Beyond would be pretty cool.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    Do you mean a less beefy bat?

Basically yeah. And certain characters like all the thugs having the same build and the Scarecrow being pretty buff didn't seem right. Though Scarecrow wasn't too bad.... I just would like to see some characters who aren't ripped or cheesecake models.

And I'm kind of a fan of the slightly leaner Batman renditions.

Egos on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

In law, we have something called the eggshell skull rule. Basically, if you punch someone in the head and they turn out to have a rare condition which makes their skull as weak and brittle as an eggshell, you'll be punished for the actual outcome, not your intent to merely inflict a punch that would have slightly injured a man with a normal skull. So you're basically screwed if you just happen to punch someone with an eggshell skull. Now, this could happen to Batman. He might not know if a new criminal mastermind has an eggshell skull. So he goes for the one punch knockout and... ends up killing the guy. Gordon and the GCPD suddenly have a warrant out for his ass. He's done for. Or, the criminal supervillains like Joker or Two Face could just hire someone with an eggshell skull to be their thug for a heist. Batman shows up and falls right into their trap. It's terrible, breaking your one rule to never kill because you ran into a thug with an eggshell skull. That would just feel terrible.

I'm convinced this is actually Batman's superpower. He has the ability to make what would otherwise be a bone-breaking punch / kick / knee merely knock someone out for a couple of hours, despite the fact that medically speaking any blow that renders someone unconcious for more than a few seconds will usually be a life-threatening injury. He's Batman. He's just that fucking good. If anything implausible ever happens in AA, the logical conclusion is "He's batman". This is why he's a Super-hero despite being powerless, he's fucking Batman.

*edit* Sorry, I should have said "He's the god-damn Batman". Is that better?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I imagine the word fuck gets used quite a bit in gotham by its underground.

So in those terms fucking batman seems appropriate.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fucking Batman is only appropriate sometimes, but you should never fuck him in public.

I also like the look of the leaner Batmen (awkward stating this after making a bad joke about fucking him).
    I like my Bat dynamic and stealthy.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Play as Terry/Batman Beyond would be pretty cool.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Think about it. He goes out night after night and fights criminals in Gotham City. But how does he do this? He waits until it's night. Night time will generally be from 7:00 pm to maybe... what, 5:00 am? That's not bad, that's a solid 10 hours of crimefighting. But what happens when the sun comes up? No more Batman. And that's exactly when the criminals and supervillains are going to strike, right? Cause after a while, even the cowardly and superstitious lot are bound to notice that Batman seems to arrive at 7:00 pm every night, like clockwork. They'll just sleep during the night and do their dastardly schemes during the day. Kinda like how normal people operate. Batman isn't able to do anything, he's gotta wait till night. Unless he got some sort of WayneTech device to block out the Sun. That'd be silly, though.

But you might be saying... well, he'll just go out as Bruce Wayne during the day and stop them with his Lamborghini Murcielago. Like in that Chris Nolan film, The Dark Knight. Which sounds good, except that he actually risks blowing his cover. He's not wearing his mask as Bruce Wayne. And Bruce Wayne doesn't have the protection of the Batsuit, or any handy gadgets. That's quite risky. So what he did in TDK seems like a pretty rare occurrence. Generally, he's not gonna risk it.

And of course, he'd probably be sleeping during the day. Like a vampire, which is appropriate. After fighting crime for 10 hours and grappling from building to building, beating thugs, saving hostages... Bruce has got to be beat and in need of some rest. I don't believe any comics have ever had him copying Kramer and trying that DaVinci sleep method where you only sleep for 20 minutes every few hours or something. The man's reserves are down, he'll have to go to sleep during the day. You know what happens when he doesn't get sleep? He gets his fucking back broken, that's what. It's a bad scene.

Now, on to Batman actually fighting crime. His batsuit protects him from bullets. And he'll generally hide in the darkness. But what about his no killing rule? Is that really an actual rule that a guy fighting crime night after night can keep? You'd think that eventually he'd do something like punch a guy, have the guy go unconscious, fall down, hit his head on a toilet bowl or something, and die from inadequate medical attention later on. Or maybe he punches some big dude in the chest, which causes a freak heart attack and death? Ya know, stuff that's a little unlikely, but becomes more and more likely as his crimefighter career continues. Batman doesn't have detailed medical dossiers on every two bit crook and thug in Gotham, right? That seems like a stretch.

Batman often gets wounded in combat. You know, something sharp shreds his costume sometimes. Catwoman's scratched him good in a few encounters. So he gets cut a bit and maybe blood spills out from the wound. Batman doesn't stop to clean up the pavement, he just keeps going with the battle and drives away when it's all over. So you've got Batman's blood on Gotham pavement, or inside a building somewhere. Couldn't someone take that blood and try to find Batman's real identity with it? Just gotta try and match it up with any DNA in a database. Bruce Wayne probably had blood taken from him as a kid for... medical reasons, right? Does a hospital keep really good records of people's blood and DNA? I'm not sure, but even if they don't, the existence of Batman's blood is worrisome evidence. Could you use the DNA in the blood to trace it to the Wayne genealogy? It doesn't seem too far fetched.

It's tough being Batman. I don't know how he does it.

Well you see, Batman is always prepared.

Clint Eastwood on