As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chernobyl, Comrades!

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    why can't we just send our nuclear waste to the moon?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wren wrote: »

Because according to some treaty, everyone owns the moon and one country dumping waste on it would break it.

msuitepyon on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Sami wrote: »
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead because that sounds too good to be true.

(which it probably is)

Well uranium and other things decay into lead on their own, you could probably speed up the process or initiate it elsewhere by doing something like bombarding it with neutrons, or something to that effect anyway. But this is basically transmutation we're talking about, alchemy from the old days. With nuclear stuff it can actually be done, but I doubt it is easy, or cheap. Large scale is probably not feasible.

I think the easiest way to reduce nuclear waste is to introduce waste reprocessing (which Jimmy Carter banned after taking one nuclear engineering class at Georgia Tech and called himself an "expert" on the subject). Everyone outside the U.S. uses reprocessing to fuel some of their reactors. Basically, they take a waste and separate the fissionable products and stick them back in the reactor.

Thats never going to happen with the current energy standards. There is very little resources going to into Nuclear energy research

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited April 2007
    what are they going to do, set up a military blockade in front of the moon?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Maybe it's no one owns the moon. I can't recall.

msuitepyon on
    edited April 2007
    Shoot it into the sun

edited April 2007
    anyways its been like, 5 minutes. you've taken all my posts into consideration and made my plasma gun yet?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    it takes at least 15 minutes to make a plasma gun

what do you think this is, the future?

Anime Owns on
    edited April 2007
    ZeroZero wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Sami wrote: »
    Explain to me the dealy with turning nuclear waste into lead because that sounds too good to be true.

(which it probably is)

Well uranium and other things decay into lead on their own, you could probably speed up the process or initiate it elsewhere by doing something like bombarding it with neutrons, or something to that effect anyway. But this is basically transmutation we're talking about, alchemy from the old days. With nuclear stuff it can actually be done, but I doubt it is easy, or cheap. Large scale is probably not feasible.

I think the easiest way to reduce nuclear waste is to introduce waste reprocessing (which Jimmy Carter banned after taking one nuclear engineering class at Georgia Tech and called himself an "expert" on the subject). Everyone outside the U.S. uses reprocessing to fuel some of their reactors. Basically, they take a waste and separate the fissionable products and stick them back in the reactor.

Thats never going to happen with the current energy standards. There is very little resources going to into Nuclear energy research

I don't know, with oil being the way it is, Bush is pushing for alternative energy. There are government subsidies for companies that build more nuclear plants. The company down here has already gotten the go-ahead from the NRC to build another reactor on one of the sites.

msuitepyon on
    edited April 2007
    I'll see if I can scare up an engineer

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rockets sometimes blow up in mid-air. I'm guessing that would make for some nasty fallout.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
    edited April 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    it takes at least 15 minutes to make a plasma gun

what do you think this is, the future?

well its now 30 minutes into the future. I still dont see any results

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The comic The Losers had a pretty good storyline that took place in Chernobyl. The entire series was pretty damn good and the arc with Chernobyl in it was particularly good.

Basically what I am saying is that everyone should read The Losers.

Except for the end, because that sucked pretty fucking hard.

And that one-shot about Allyah or however you spell her name. That issue sucked.

Other than that it was a damn good series. Read it, you goons.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so I'm playing stalker and I'm in this city in the middle of a sprawling fire fight when all of a sudden it switches to a cut scene of a horde of rampaging mutant pigs charging over a hill then theres this sort of whooshing sound and they all go shooting off into the sky, squealing their hearts out.
    It had absolutely nothing to do with anything going on what so ever but it was wonderful to watch.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Berk wrote: »
    so I'm playing stalker and I'm in this city in the middle of a sprawling fire fight when all of a sudden it switches to a cut scene of a horde of rampaging mutant pigs charging over a hill then theres this sort of whooshing sound and they all go shooting off into the sky, squealing their hearts out.
    It had absolutely nothing to do with anything going on what so ever but it was wonderful to watch.
    Why...why did they go shooting off into the sky?

South host on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They hit an anomoly.

Obviously.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That was their mutant power.

Synthetic Orange on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    radioactive piggies are not bound by the laws of gravity apparently

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    one of the hardcore physics profs at berkley.. muller I think, was talking about how the whole nuclear waste disposal issue is blown out of proportion. that the trucks that carry the waste are denied access through many areas because people are afraid of something happening. yet they're built to withstand basically anything, they test them by driving it off a cliff, thing explodes and everything, and hey the container is completely okay.

actual waste disposal is similar. he was saying the area where they bury a lot of it now (can't remember the name but it's in a mountain i believe) could withstand an earthquake and that if there was any small leakage it which would be ridiculously unlikely it would have an extremely low impact on the groundwater etc. apparently due to the granite mountains around baltimore their water has a higher amount of radioactive isotopes that the mountains they used to store the waste.

so instead it sits in storage facilites around the reactors because noone wants to deal with it due to all the hype. and that while terrorism on these reactors would result in very little damage, hijacking this nuclear waste to make dirty bombs is actually the biggest hazard...

Axim on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    woah hey there are other nuclear engineers?

Hell yeah!
    Practicing or still in school?

Dynagrip on
  • FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    South host wrote: »
    Rockets sometimes blow up in mid-air. I'm guessing that would make for some nasty fallout.

Also, how expensive is it to rocket nuclear waste to the moon, as opposed to burying it somewhere on earth?

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    we're going to have to make space travel a much cheaper and safer thing to do some day, might as well start now and use it for waste disposal

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think they should shoot for Venus. That place is already a piece of shit, what's some garbage going to do?

If anything, the acidic environment should eat away at most of it.

Endomatic on
    edited April 2007
    we're going to have to make space travel a much cheaper and safer thing to do some day, might as well start now and use it for waste disposal
    Maybe, but not radioactive waste. If something goes wrong, it'll fuck some shit up.

South host on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why a planet?

There's plenty of space just sitting there, empty.

EDIT: also goddamn stalker looks cool

someone buy me a good computer

Homeless on
    edited April 2007
    are we seriously debating pimping nuclear waste off into space

Axim on
    edited April 2007
    no seriously

Axim on
    edited April 2007
    South host wrote: »
    Maybe, but not radioactive waste. If something goes wrong, it'll fuck some shit up.

like someone pointed out earlier, its not that hard to put radioactive waste in safe and secure containers for transport. the cheap method of space travel won't involve using many metric tonnes worth of highly volatile fuel in huge explodey rockets.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Yeah

we are

edited April 2007
    look how about this, you stay on your fucked up world and keep all your dangerous waste and I'll move to an other planet. I think thats a fair compromise.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    nuclear physicists outline how current disposal methods are completely safe. seriously living in a north american city nuclear waste is the least of your worries dogg

and 'hey one day we will have futuristic space travel that will be able to blast all our worries away' is definitely a practical way to address the problem hur

Axim on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We could always dump the waste in the ocean. Nobody used that mess for anything.

Wait.

Henroid on
    edited April 2007
    If by futuristic you mean 10-20 years yea I guess.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    obviously we've been thinking about long-term solutions for too long and we should focus on short term solutions. we dont do that enough

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I just read through the Chernobyl site

And that's pretty cool

I've always been fascinated by ghost towns and abandoned industrial areas

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    obviously developing futuristic space travel is earth's greatest priority

Axim on
    edited April 2007
    Axim wrote: »
    obviously developing futuristic space travel is earth's greatest priority

I'm glad we agree.

because really what the fuck do I care about a bunch of africans? we give them money and they just buy guns. they had their chance, now we're ready for a little me time

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey man

space travel is fucking cool

cool shit should be at the top of the list

Homeless on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    look how about this, you stay on your fucked up world and keep all your dangerous waste and I'll move to an other planet. I think thats a fair compromise.

Shotty Mars, Red Planet is communist territory. Horde can come to, Lok'tar!~

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png